Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Thanksgiving at Disney – Are you nuts? (Final update Kona Cafe and last thoughts)

A little Backgroud

The title is the reaction I got from friends and colleagues when I told them about our upcoming trip. It was either that or the “You are Going Again?” question usually said with raised eyebrows. We recently returned to the real world from our World Away from Home World. I am smiling as I begin this trip report reliving some of what happened including things that went right and the things that went not so right. So I say to them I say what do you know! Then I give them a Bronx cheer.

A Thanksgiving weekend trip was a last minute decision so we had little time for planning but everything worked out fine (well most of it). In the past I started many trip reports and even completed one once. This time I am going to not only try to finish this one but to post it on line. We took lots of pictures with at least 40 of them Giraffes so if I can figure out how to attach pictures I will.

Who is going you may ask?

Me-AKA Dad. Until a few weeks ago I could legitimately say that I was a 40 something. People do say I do not look 50. More like 49 and 3/4. DVC member since 1996 and a Disney Veteran.

DD-AKA Princess, AKA Pooh. Thirteen and has the drama queen persona down pat. Smart and an all around good kid with a soft heart for animals. Also a Disney veteran and is a coaster junky like her dad.

More Background

Having made the decision late in October to make the trip, the little voices in my head were telling me getting a room let alone at an affordable price was a Don Quixote magnitude quest. First I called DVC member services where of course nothing was available. They gladly put me on the wait list for a Studio but as expected that did not come through.

Undeterred, I then called the main reservation number and by the luck of the draw I was connected to Barrett, my own Disney elf (think the male equivalent of a pixie). Jokingly I told him that I was only interested in an AP or Florida resident rates. Instead of laughing at me he said, “Let me see what I can do. Well, we have the President’s Suite at the Beach Club for about $1,300 a night.” Yea right. After working his magic he was able to get 3 nights at Animal Kingdom for a pretty decent rate. Standard view but he put in a request for a Savanna upgrade. (Would it happen? Find out later.)

For dining, we had reservations at Yachtsman Steak House for Thanksgiving at 9:00, Tony’s Friday night, Brown Derby for a late Saturday lunch and breakfast at the Kona Café on Sunday. Surprisingly, it was relatively easy to get some decent places to eat.

Normally we do not do commando. We have the good fortune to live in South Florida and are DVC members so we have the luxury of not feeling the need to race from ride to ride. DD wanted to have Thanksgiving at home but after a little cajoling, I talked her into joining our little odyssey. Not that she had a choice but as a condition of humoring me she did put her foot down and in no uncertain terms declared that we are spending every possible minute in the parks. Cool. Sure I am 50 but I can handle it. Yes I realize the crowds will be insane but what the heck. We packed our camouflaged face paint and fatigues, ready to take on the challenge.

Or maybe not! (Guess I figured out the picture thing)

The Plan

Wednesday, Nov. 21-After school we head to the Vero Beach Resort where we have an Ocean View Inn room. The plan is to drive up, eat, chill and hope the sand fleas are hibernating for the winter.

Thanksgiving-Rise and shine early and drive to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Probably visit EPCOT in the morning. Animal Kingdom is open until 8:00 that night and since we always time our visits to get everything done at the park before 2:00 it would be an interesting change. After closing, we head to T-Day dinner at Yachtsman’s.

Friday, Nov. 23-Not sure about the morning but since we have 8:00 pm reservations at Tony’s we will be closing the Magic Kingdom. Hopefully we time it right and are able to catch a glimpse of the parade from the comfort of the restaurant and then walk out onto a packed Main Street to watch Wishes.

Saturday, Nov. 24-MGM for early entry and a 2:00 lunch at the Brown Derby. Either we head to Pleasure Island and the Comedy Warehouse or to EPCOT for Illuminations.

Sunday-Departure day. 7:40 am breakfast at Kona Café and a last stop at the Magic Kingdom until we drive home.

Our seat belts are fastened as we head on our adventure. Not necessarily the one we planned but as I said, it worked out. If you made it through these ramblings, thanks. If you keep reading on then you may need to seek professional help.

Up next: Day one - The drive to Vero Beach or some place near Vero Beach

Last edited by cj9200; 02-16-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
tinawv
If I had a penny for everytime I wished to be in WDW I would be a millionare :-)

You had me at "Thanksgiving at Disney - Are you nuts?" Can't wait to read more.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2007, 04:52 AM   #3
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinawv View Post
You had me at "Thanksgiving at Disney - Are you nuts?" Can't wait to read more.
Thanks for the comment. Next post should be up today or later tonight. Friends can't believe we go to the WDW so often. Tired of explaining that going to Disney is more than riding Dumbo. At least here no expanations are necessary.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Day 1 - On to Vero Beach

Day One Wednesday, November 21 (Part 1) – Or the Slow Boat to Vero

As I sit in my car in front of DD’s school, the scream of a 1,000 middle school banshees indicates school is out for Thanksgiving break. Today was Turkey Bowl day. The school is divided into Blue and Gold teams and they compete in field games. DD is on the Blue team and they are riding a two year winning streak. As an 8th grader, she has yet to taste defeat and she wants to go out unbeaten. I refereed the basketball free throw competition and I knew the blue team was in trouble. Daughter enters the car and reveals that they lost. The championship wrestled from their hands she decried the injustice for at least the first hour of our drive.

Back on topic we were headed to the Vero Beach Resort directly from school. The night before, we packed, bought essential supplies and loaded the car. There were a couple of items still needed (Spirits for one) and we stopped at a nearby Publix. After a while we were on the Turnpike headed north. Traffic wasn’t as bad as I expected in Dade and Broward. Then, just before we hit the Palm Beach County line, it went from 70 mph to a dead stop. For the entire dive through West Palm it was at best a crawl at 15 mph. Well over an hour later, we finally got out of the mess and started making decent time again.

A not so quick pit stop at the Ft. Pierce - Pilot gas station/Arbys where we filled up the car ($3.07 a gallon) and our bellies. It was getting dark, we should have already reached Vero and I am a little cranky. Driving in Florida is mind numbing and I used this time to remember I didn’t have directions to the resort. We had been there a couple of times before and as I remembered it I exit at Vero Beach, head east to A1A, turn right, go over a couple of bridges and there I am.

My confidence in our route was weakening and I decided to call DD’s mom to double check. As an aside, one of the reasons we wanted to get away is that we have been dealing with mom’s illness for the past year. She has a degenerative neuromuscular disease and she recently moved to Georgia to be with her sister. She will be joining us over Christmas when we stay at the Boardwalk. Unlike this one, that trip is well planned with lots of interesting ADRs and other fun things to do (scuba diving anyone?).

Mom informs me that you do not get off at the Vero exit but at Sebastian. OK that settled, we spend the rest of the drive to Vero (excuse me Sebastian) playing Disney trivia where we ask each other questions about anything Disney. I usually try to get the upper hand by reaching way back to before she was born and she counters with questions from the Disney Channel.

Finally at the Sebastian exit we turn right to head to A1A. Everything is OK until we pass US 1 and there is no A1A, no bridges, and nothing that looks familiar. On my little cheat sheet with the reservation numbers I did not write down the resort phone numbers. Oh, oh. I am faced with a decision, do I call mom back and make myself look stupid or do we trudge on? I did what every self respecting male would do and we drove on. Heck, there is plenty of gas in the car, we have chips and drinks so if we get stranded somewhere there is sustenance.

Sorry there are no pics in this installment but not much to take driving at night. Promise more to come with pictures.

Up Next: Day 1 Part 2 – Or Do we have any flares in the car?
Old 12-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Day One Wednesday, November 21 (Part 2) – Or Lost, The Pilot Episode

Where were we? Oh yes, on US 1 trying to find Villas at Vero Beach. Now in my defense, I am an excellent navigator. When I was a kid on family trips, it was my responsibility to take charge of the AAA Trip Ticket my father always ordered. I could tell you exactly where we were, how long in miles and time to the next “checkpoint” and how far we had traveled. I was a trip navigation savant.

Either old age or Disney pixie dust has me befuddled when I am headed to someplace owned by the Walt Disney Company. There was a previous trip when we were staying at Wilderness Lodge and they closed off the entrance to the Magic Kingdom for some roller blade thing. I traveled in circles for about half an hour before I realized where they were trying to tell me to go. Disney World has one of the most heavily signed route markers on the planet and I get lost. That was not even the first time nor I fear will it be the last.

Anyway, what to do? I pulled into a parking lot and called directory assistance. After telling the machine the city, “Vero Beach” and the location “Vero Beach Disney Villas” they connected me. I explain to the person that answered the phone that I am lost and need directions. He tells me to look for a sign that says I-95 and head west, we are right by the Vero Beach exit.

Huh? There is no beach near 95 and I know for a fact I walked on a Beach last time. We eventually figure out I was connected to the wrong hotel and he was kind enough to give me the correct number.

This time I get through to the right resort and a nice CM gives me directions. Of course after they tell me to cross the bridges I stopped paying attention because I felt confident I could find it from there. Well, we crossed the bridges, I again took a wrong turn and had to get another set of directions before we finally pulled into the resort. 174.5 miles from the school and over 4 hours on the road but I thought that it was overly dramatic when DD got out of the car, kissed the ground and shouted, “Thank You God!”

Exhausted and really cranky we were greeted at the front desk with a smile and a “Welcome Home.” In no time we were checked in, had the car parked and trudged everything up to room 2223.

Our Welcome Home Towel Animal

It is a handicapped room but it didn’t matter at this point.

The roll in shower

The room was located right next to the resort’s lounge, The Green Cabin Room. I was worried about noise coming into our room but what little that seeped in was muffled.

The Green Cabin Room

There was a musician entertaining a small crowd and I thought about the two of us going in for a cocktail but we were dead tired. DD, still in her turkey Bowl gear fell into the bed (the picture in my first post). She was soon however dispatched for ice while I unpacked some goodies. We sat around for a few minutes outside sipping our cocktails (hers was root beer, mine was a vodka tonic). I always like Vero, it has a different feel to it. Just listening to the waves from the balcony puts me in a relaxed mood.

We then went to explore a bit and look at the Christmas decorations.

The chandelier from our second floor vantage point

The Tree

The Christmas display which was one of the more clever displays I saw that week.

Macaroni and risotto uumn

Then it was to the beach for a couple of minutes until we retreated to the room. She sacked out right after her bath but I had to wind down a bit first. Early to bed because after all we are in commando mode and need to be up at 5 so we could be at the Animal Kingdom Lodge by 7-7:30.

Up next: Thanksgiving Day – Or “Can we have a Savanna View Pretty Please?”
Old 12-21-2007, 06:50 AM   #6
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

We're heading to Vero real soon and will be staying in an OVIR - thanks for the pictures - I've not done much preparation / planning / looking ahead for this trip which is so odd for me, so now I'm trying to "catch up." I'd love to read more about Vero and see more pics if you have any to share.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
Old 12-21-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

Great Report! Looking forward to more!
Old 01-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
We're heading to Vero real soon and will be staying in an OVIR - thanks for the pictures - I've not done much preparation / planning / looking ahead for this trip which is so odd for me, so now I'm trying to "catch up." I'd love to read more about Vero and see more pics if you have any to share.
Sorry I have not replied to your post but the day you sent it, we were packing the car for our Christmas trip. With that and other things, I have not been on the Dis Boards and am just getting back to the report. A frantic search for pictures of previous trips to Vero yielded nothing but the next post has a couple more pictures from our T-day trip. I love Vero and have been a few times so if you have any questions, let me know and I will try to answer.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Thanks Doug. Progress on the rest of the trip report has been much like a highway construction project. Many delays but I am back at it
Old 01-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Day Two: Thanksgiving (Part 1) – Or No Turkey Legs for Us, Give Us Zebra Domes

No sooner than my head hit the pillow and I drifted off to sleep the phone rings with our wake up call. What, 9:30 already?

Yes, I said 9:30, not the proposed 5 am wake up call. We were suppose to tour commando style and planned to be out the door early so we could check into the Animal Kingdom Lodge by 7:30 at the latest. A simple question from DD changed that. “Dad, do we have to get up at five?” No, actually we didn’t. So before going to bed last night, we meekly folded our fatigues and put away our camouflage face paint, vowing to go commando another day.

Since I didn’t pack a bag for our one day stay at Vero, we had to put everything back into our suitcases and lug them down to the car. While we were packing, the Macys parade was on TV and we reminisced about the time we saw the parade in person (I moved back to Florida last summer after 5 years in NY). It took us about an hour to get ready and off on the road. Before we left, we took a few pictures from the balcony.

Our view of the ocean

And another

The outside seating area for the lounge. I will have to remember this spot for cocktail hour on our next visit.

This time I was armed with proper directions, traffic was surprisingly light and we made great time. The only thing that was a pain was stopping multiple times to pay tolls. With nary a wrong turn the entire way, 119 miles and two hours later we pulled to the security gate at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I always like to tell the security guard, “Why yes, we are checking in.” Parked the car and noticed some construction on the other side of the parking lot. Could it be the new Animal Kingdom Villas? I think it is. I took a couple of pictures.

This one

And this one.

Give me a corner room, Savanna view please.

Now for the moment of truth, do we get the upgrade to a Savanna view? DD has been practicing her “pretty please” face for about a week now. She is studying drama in Middle school and it fits her personality. We enter the lobby and what can you say, amazing. And even more so with it decorated for Christmas.

Resisting the urge to explore the lobby and then head out to see the zebras we got in line at the front desk. It was only a short wait when our cast member, Kiesha checked us in. Credit card was handed over and it all went very smoothly. “You have a standard view room.” “Yes, but we requested a Savanna view, is one available?” DD did her pretty please face.

Kiesha got on the phone to the back, gave my name, did the magic with her keyboard and sure enough we were upgraded to the Savanna view. Woo Hoo! This became very important during the weekend. Of course the room was not ready but who am I to complain.

Checked in, we went to see the decorations and the animals.

Nice tree

I love the all glass back side of the lobby

Our first Zebra

Nap time for an Elan.

Since we did not wake up as planned, the morning and early afternoon activities were pretty much shot. So now what to do? The growling in my stomach decided for me and we went to Mara for lunch. Over the weekend we ate here a couple of times and I can say that it is one of the best counter service places of any resort. I had the double cheeseburger; DD had a chef salad and the famous Zebra Domes. Just what we needed. The burger was good and the domes were a hit with Princess. $21.59 with tax.

The only picture of our lunch (the chef salad). We had problems with that all weekend, our food would be half gone before we thought to take a picture.

Refreshed we decided to take a second view of the savanna.

Flamingos. I never knew they can bend their legs like that. It hurts just looking at them.

I called to see if our room was ready and was surprised to hear that is was. Great! The Disney gods are smiling on us.

Room 3256 before we got comfy and it had that looked in feel.

And our savanna view.

The room was perfectly clean and we put away our stuff including our commando gear. I then decided it was time for a nap. DD occupied herself by watching the animals and taking pictures. This was a recurring theme during our stay. Every time we entered the room she ran out to the balcony to see who was out and about.

Can she stretch one more inch?

A pair of what we believe are called Red River Hogs

A Male and a Female Kudo strolling around the grounds.

These are only a few of the bazillion pictures she took.

Up next: Thanksgiving (Part 2) - Turkey dinner at Yachtsman Steak House.

Last edited by cj9200; 02-17-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Day 2: Thanksgiving (Part 2) – Try Some Beverly?

Day 2: Thanksgiving (Part 2) – Or $54 for a Turkey Dinner?

After a short nap I was feeling great. Showered and putting on our Sunday best (actually, I did not emphasize to DD that we needed a “something fancy” outfit while she packed but she made do). After the bus trip to EPCOT we started our walk to the Yacht Club.

No, that is not the talking trash can. Talk about bad composition. Princess has her picture on one of the panels here out in front of EPCOT but we did not look for it this time. I have to say I like the golf ball minus the wand.

Wait times were of course not worth the trouble so we decided just to look at the decorations and walk around. First stop was a place that was formally a “cool” area but is now just a typical shop. DD loves the Costa Rican drink but I tried to talk her into trying Beverly again.

Me: It would be a great picture.
Her: No.
Me: Come on, it will be a great picture.
Her: NO!
Me: (Doing the can we have a Savanna view face) PLEASE?
Her: You’re so pathetic.

DD: I can’t believe I’m doing this.

Sucker! One of my favorite pictures of the trip.

After that we headed out of the park taking very few pictures (me bad). We had about an hour and a half before our ADR so we went home, Boardwalk. Boardwalk is our DVC home resort and we love the place.

An arcade game (she lost)

Still with about an hour to go we went to the Yacht Club. We stayed at the BCV for the first time in June and it is the perfect summer resort. Stormalong Bay is the ultimate resort pool. We also ate at Yachtsman last time and I loved it. The scalloped potatoes were out of the world.

The carousel was well done and we even found all the hidden Mickeys.

The ingredients.

From there we decided to see if we could get in early for dinner. Checked in and they told us it would probably be around our 9:05 ADR (still about 45 minutes away). We decided to take our beeper and have cocktails at the Crews Cup Lounge. I asked to see a menu while we waited.

Thought the crayons were a neat touch.

We sat down and while waiting for our server, I looked at the menu. FIFTY-FOUR DOLLARS PER PERSON? I knew it was a holiday menu but $54 for a turkey dinner? DD and I actually thought about changing our mind but decided what the heck. We ordered our drinks and just after they came, our beeper went off. It was maybe a 5-10 minute wait.

Have to say this was a disappointing dining experience, especially for the price (maybe because of the price). DD had the Caesar salad for her appetizer and the turkey dinner, I had the grilled vegetables and the NY strip. For $54 I was not having turkey. The food was good but not memorable.

Here are the grilled vegetables and of course we did not think to take a picture before we started eating. This is about 3/4 of what was originally on the plate. Again I say $54 dollars?

The turkey dinner

My NY Strip. Notice the cut in the steak before I realized I needed a picture. The leftovers made for great fajitas when we returned home.

By now the waitress was busy and gave us more limited service. When we ordered, we decided to make our desert choices later. We were never asked and our deserts appeared without asking us what we wanted. Luckily they chose correctly so we didn’t make a fuss and ate up.

Tasty

$154 for dinner with tax and tip and of course no DDE discount because it was a holiday. Dinner was probably about half of what it would have cost if it wasn’t Thanksgiving. Overall, it was a nice but not memorable experience. Made me worry about our Christmas Eve and Christmas dinners we have planned. On the way out we had our picture taken. I have never been photogenic.

Notice the hair. We are both are headed for a makeover tomorrow.

After dinner, we took a cab, and $13 later including tip, we were back at AKL. The taxi was worth it. A quick trip and since I had just spent 5 years in New York, I felt it was reasonable. Off to bed to get ready for our early morning at the Magic Kingdom.

Thoughts on the day: It was smart not killing ourselves to get here so we could be at park opening time. We were rested and refreshed and had a nice time exploring AKL. Getting the upgrade to a Savanna view was a big bonus. The only disappointment was the dinner at Yachtsman. The food was good but it was way overpriced. Did I mention it costs $54 a person?

Up Next: Commandos at last.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
sharonW
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your TR. So, how bad were the crowds over
Thanksgiving and what kind of deal did you get on the
room, if you don't mind my asking
Old 01-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Thanks sharonW. I am enjoying reliving the trip.

Crowd levels were very high.

This was at about 7:00 pm on Thanksgiving. Soaring was 105 minutes. Not outrageous but they were not nearly the longest waits we saw. The Christmas trip was even worse. Either time would not be the best time of year to go obviously if your major focus was seeing as many attractions as possible. Although we vowed we were going to be all park all the time, we didn’t (except for one day, stay tuned). By going early and/or taking advantage of Fastpass, we were able to do pretty much what we wanted.

I can’t find the bill right now but I think the room was $240 a night. Not cheap but I thought reasonable. Especially since we paid $215 for one night at Port Orleans French Quarter on the Christmas trip. That and we did get the Savanna view.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #14
sharonW
DIS Veteran

That was not a bad price for the room!!
Did you negotiate or was that the going
rate, do you remember. We'd like to try
WL but what I'm seeing is very pricey.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

The price was pure luck (or the Disney gods). When I called to make the reservation for the room, I told the CM the many discounts we qualify for (AP Holder, Fla. Resident etc.) and he came back with that price. It did not include taxes etc. which added $20-$30 to what I actually paid.

Good luck and happy bargain hunting.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: