Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #106
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

You need to buy the phones from Tracfone.. or from a Tracfone dealer (ie: Walmart ... most convenience stores etc..) You can't just take a GSM phone down and put their card in it.

In terms of getting the numbers .. you can't get them prior to activation is my understanding..

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #107
MECH8T7
DIS Veteran

Virgin Mobile USA

We were just at WDW last week.

I did the same thing as PrincessNED -- ordered the "free" Oystr phones with the purchase $19.99 of airtime x 2. I placed the order in the day on 12/24, the order shipped via FedEx ground on 12/26 and they arrived at our resort (AKL) by 12/28. When we checked in on 12/30, there was a note on the resort computer that there was a parcel from FedEx waiting from us and the resort put it in our room for us.

I had Virgin ship it to me at the resort but, on the first line of the address space, I put the name of the resort and indicated that I was a guest (i.e., "DAKV - guest arr. 12/30")

The phones worked fine, particularly considering the cost.
MECH8T7 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #108
digskat
Got Goldendoodle?
"I don't feel like dancin'"
Why is it when I hear this song all I want to do is DANCE??

We had a death in the family while we were at WDW, when we returned our phone bill from Bell Mobility was $150 for me (usually around $25) and Hubbie's was $55 (usually $25 also).TTFN Kat
Old 01-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #109
Allegro
Mouseketeer

So I've been checking out our cellulaire options. Tracefone won't work for us since we are flying not driving. So we've been looking at Virgin mobile. I noticed a lot of people taking advantage of the free Oyster phone offer. Great as it is you can go cheaper (the web site is a little deceiving because it brings up the Oyster phone offer right off the bat). They have a K10 phone for free when you purchase $9.99 in air-time. At $.10/minute that's 100 minutes. DH pointed out to me that if we're just using the phone to keep in contact with each other in the parks for a week 100 minutes each is MORE than plenty. And as the phone will be useless to me on return to Canada - cheap is good!

Anyway, just wanted to share. This thread has been VERY helpful to me. Thanks all.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #110
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegro View Post
So I've been checking out our cellulaire options. Tracefone won't work for us since we are flying not driving. So we've been looking at Virgin mobile. I noticed a lot of people taking advantage of the free Oyster phone offer. Great as it is you can go cheaper (the web site is a little deceiving because it brings up the Oyster phone offer right off the bat). They have a K10 phone for free when you purchase $9.99 in air-time. At $.10/minute that's 100 minutes. DH pointed out to me that if we're just using the phone to keep in contact with each other in the parks for a week 100 minutes each is MORE than plenty. And as the phone will be useless to me on return to Canada - cheap is good!

Anyway, just wanted to share. This thread has been VERY helpful to me. Thanks all.
If it's at all helpful, you can order the tracfones (or any of these) from their respective website and have them shipped to your resort just prior to your check-in.

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

Last edited by CanadianGuy; 01-16-2008 at 09:42 PM.
CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:10 AM   #111
CdnDisneyBride08
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsphamily View Post
I just added the 100 US minutes to our Bell cell phone for our upcoming
trip. It is $40.00 which includes your long distance and roaming. Much
cheaper than not adding the plan at all. The customer service person that
I spoke with said that you can also text while you're there which is a lot
cheaper than talking, she said that the regular texting fees apply.
We have used our cell phone in the states in the past without adding the
US plan and the roaming fees are absolutely ridiculous!
You can add it for 1 month and they will automatically remove it from your
plan the following month so you won't have to worry about forgetting to call
and being charged for it when your trip is over.
If anyone does add the Connect USA (minimum 1-month term) or the Connect Florida (minumum 2-month term) I would still call customer service when you return to have this feature removed. I deal with Bell customer service on a daily basis and what one representative tells you may vary drastically from what another representative tells you. I would hate for someone to be told that they won't have to call in, that the feature will be removed automatically, and then turn around and have it charged again on their next bill.

CdnDisneyBride08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #112
Oscar T. Grouch
Earning My Ears

we have rogers and this is what we do.

we just add on a US travel plan for the month we are gone, and it is like 90 minutes or something for not much money. Call and ask them about plans for travel.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #113
JenH1969
Mouseketeer

Both of the virgin ones talked about need to be activated in early Feb and we aren't going till late April- I hope a newer similare option will come out-
Jen
Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #114
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

"I noticed a lot of people taking advantage of the free Oyster phone offer. Great as it is you can go cheaper (the web site is a little deceiving because it brings up the Oyster phone offer right off the bat). They have a K10 phone for free when you purchase $9.99 in air-time. At $.10/minute that's 100 minutes. DH pointed out to me that if we're just using the phone to keep in contact with each other in the parks for a week 100 minutes each is MORE than plenty. And as the phone will be useless to me on return to Canada - cheap is good!"

but don't forget that you have to buy the plan for $20 and currently the international rate for canada is .15 not .10

here's the link http://www.virginmobileusa.com/rates...onalCalling.do

the phone is also free with the plan but how long is the plan for? do you have to have a year contract to get the free phone?

i was looking a few months ago and all of the carriers said that the long distance minutes cost more if it is a pay as you go and that you could get cheap minutes but you have to sign up for at least 12 months - which if you're canadian doesn't make sense unless you are going once a month for at least 2 weeks and using up your 100 minutes a month.

i think we'll just make it easy on us and the next we go across the Falls we'll pop into Sams and buy a calling card that doesn't expire and while we're driving we'll use the $40 added minutes from Bell and use the calling card once at the parks at a pay phone.
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #115
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

just a little fyi - i called Virgin and asked. what she told me is that you don't have to have a contract with them but you do have to buy their phone and "top up" a minimum of $20 every 90 days or loose your phone number.

then you're billed every minute at .18 per minute plus what ever the l.d. charge is so calling back to canada would be 18 cents plus 15 cents for a total of 33 cents per minute.

if you let the "top up" laps then thats fine and when you go back the next time you add the top up and get another number and your off and running again.

33 cents for virgin or 40 cents with my bell - not much difference and i don't have to worry about all this top up stuff plus at&t calling card is cheaper then both those fees.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #116
Allegro
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurby View Post
just a little fyi - i called Virgin and asked. what she told me is that you don't have to have a contract with them but you do have to buy their phone and "top up" a minimum of $20 every 90 days or loose your phone number.

then you're billed every minute at .18 per minute plus what ever the l.d. charge is so calling back to canada would be 18 cents plus 15 cents for a total of 33 cents per minute.

if you let the "top up" laps then thats fine and when you go back the next time you add the top up and get another number and your off and running again.

33 cents for virgin or 40 cents with my bell - not much difference and i don't have to worry about all this top up stuff plus at&t calling card is cheaper then both those fees.
I guess it depends on what you purpose for needing a cell phone is AND what plan you have.

We have pay-as-you-go Solo so I would end up dealing with roaming charges in the neighbourhood of $3/minute to call my husband in the lobby of the hotel! We're basically getting the phones to keep in touch with each other in the parks in case we are seperated. Calls back to Canada are unlikely to occur and even if they did - 33 cents a minute is fine as they would most likely be a "call me back at yadda-yadda land-line number" call.

Oh and .18 per minute it only one of their plans. The 20/10 plan gives you .10 between Virgin phones (ideal if you're using your phones to communicate with others in your party.)

Last edited by Allegro; 01-17-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #117
Charleyann
Someone spilled the beans
Just 70 more days till that smell comes again

I Bought the tracfone at Christmas in WDW...

The phone with charger and double minutes for life was just $12.88. It came with 10 minutes of free calling. A call to Canada was just a cent per minute and text messaging was only three cents. This is the cheapest rate to go!

Charleyann
Old 01-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #118
Kurby

i've been busy today making phone calls LOL

i called tracfone and found out the following.

first and foremost - they do not deliver phones to Canada so if you want on you have to pick it up in the States.

2 - there is no activation fee

3 - calls are minute for minute - meaning it doesn't matter if you are calling a land line in the states, another cell phone or calling back to canada - 1 minute costs 1 minute.

4 - they have a $50 double your minutes for life card that you can buy that means a regular 60 minute card for $20 will give you 120 minutes this year, next year and every year (as long as they are in business)

5 - my example was travelling down this april. If we went down, bought a phone put 60 (120) minutes on it, used it came back to canada and didn't touch it again until next april what happens when we want to use it again. thats when he said no activation fees but since our phone expires after 90 days of none use we'd have to receive a new phone number (not a big deal since no one would remember the old one anyways LOL)

they seem to be the best one i've seen yet - even better then the AT&T calling card i found at Sam's because if you use them at a pay phone there is a $.75 fee charged which makes a quick phone call very expensive
Old 01-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #119
Saskmom
Earning My Ears

My cell phone package is with Sasktel Mobility. I phoned them to find out what the charges would be for using our cell in Florida. They told me it was a flat 95 cents per minute for roaming in the US. I asked about additional roaming charges by US companies and he said they used to do that but they don't anymore. After reading all of your posts I am beginining to wonder if he knew what he was talking about. Anyone else used Sasktel mobility?
Saskmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #120
angelkk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MECH8T7 View Post
We were just at WDW last week.

I did the same thing as PrincessNED -- ordered the "free" Oystr phones with the purchase $19.99 of airtime x 2. I placed the order in the day on 12/24, the order shipped via FedEx ground on 12/26 and they arrived at our resort (AKL) by 12/28. When we checked in on 12/30, there was a note on the resort computer that there was a parcel from FedEx waiting from us and the resort put it in our room for us.

I had Virgin ship it to me at the resort but, on the first line of the address space, I put the name of the resort and indicated that I was a guest (i.e., "DAKV - guest arr. 12/30")

The phones worked fine, particularly considering the cost.
I have some questions ...

Upon Activation (I assume you are doing it by phone) - do you have to give them your credit card information?

When the 19.99 airtime used up, do they automatically charge your credit card per minute, or the phone just expired (i.e. you can't make any further calls until you buy more airtime)?

I browsed www.virginmobileusa.com and it seems phone number is assigned UPON ACTIVATION? In other words, I could have the phone mailed to New York, while when I activate the phone online, I can enter Orlando address to get a (407) area code?
angelkk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: