Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #511
Geodoc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer16
We are traveling in March and just want to check on the wifi status at the parks. I have read in earlier posts that it can be spotty? Is this still the case. Also, just checking if all the parks have wifi now? Thinking that we would use our iPhones and iPods for messaging each other while in park and to use line apps. If this will work then we really don't need to "call" each other so a phone plan does not seem necessary. Also staying at OKW so I figure we will also have wifi at resort. Just trying to make this simple ...
All the parks have wifi now....Downtown Disney should be live soon.....if it isn't already. In August we found the wifi at MK just fine and used our iPhones and iPod touch devices to communicate with iMessage! The Disney apps for wait times etc are great!!! Just be aware like most public wifi, it times out after awhile.....so always good to keep an eye on that. I'm glad that WDW has made wifi available almost everywhere now.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #512
ccudmore
DIS Veteran

We were at WDW just over a week ago and loved the free WiFi. Put the phones on Airplane Mode all week and then enabled WiFi. iMessage and My Disney Experience worked with no problems. In-park coverage was pretty solid with the exception of the Jungle Cruise plaza. Even worked inside a number of rides. Lots of people using FaceTime to video-call people, especially while waiting for parades.

Art of Animation had WiFi but that was pretty spotty. Good in common areas but hit and miss in the room.

I usually end up with $100 in data fees each trip but this time it was $0.
ccudmore is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #513
eculmone
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccudmore View Post
We were at WDW just over a week ago and loved the free WiFi. Put the phones on Airplane Mode all week and then enabled WiFi. iMessage and My Disney Experience worked with no problems. In-park coverage was pretty solid with the exception of the Jungle Cruise plaza. Even worked inside a number of rides. Lots of people using FaceTime to video-call people, especially while waiting for parades.

Art of Animation had WiFi but that was pretty spotty. Good in common areas but hit and miss in the room.

I have a Blackberry. When I put it on Airplane mode it shuts off my WiFi?? Is there something special I need to do?
RPH - 2010; HRH - 2011; GF-2011; Disneyland California 2012; Disney Cruise & HRH 2013; AKL-2014; BC-2014
eculmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #514
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eculmone View Post
I have a Blackberry. When I put it on Airplane mode it shuts off my WiFi?? Is there something special I need to do?
I would like to know this too. Any Blackberry experts out there who can help?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #515
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Blackberry WiFi only

For my BB I go to the top bar on the home screen, and press the select button. That opens the manage connections window. Select Mobile Network to turn OFF the checkmark. Select Wi-Fi if it is not on so you can join the wi-fi network.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #516
mamabear0222
Countdown to 2014 trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccudmore

Flight mode is an awesome idea!!

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards
Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #517
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

Can I have some clarification? When you say there is wi-fi in all the parks, does that mean DL as well of just the WDW parks?

Does anyone know? I'm debating if it is worth $40 each to add international texting to 3 iphones.
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #518
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

Unless something has changed in the last few months, there is no wi-fi in DL or DCA. There is wifi in the hotels (worked reasonably well at the GC when we stayed there in September, but barely worked when we stayed at the DH last February).
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #519
rockchica
Earning My Ears

Easier way for Canadians

Hi Everybody!
There's a fairly new company in town called Roam Mobility that specializes in giving Canadians cheaper rates for roaming. Basically how it works is you order one of there SIM cards and they assign you an American phone number that's yours to keep (you just have to use there service once a year). You get free calling, voicemail, texting to Canada and the States for $2.95 a day and if you want to add data it's only an extra $1 per day for 100MB. This is the route I went as I am traveling solo and wanted the comforts of having a cellphone with me.
rockchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #520
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchica View Post
Hi Everybody!
There's a fairly new company in town called Roam Mobility that specializes in giving Canadians cheaper rates for roaming. Basically how it works is you order one of there SIM cards and they assign you an American phone number that's yours to keep (you just have to use there service once a year). You get free calling, voicemail, texting to Canada and the States for $2.95 a day and if you want to add data it's only an extra $1 per day for 100MB. This is the route I went as I am traveling solo and wanted the comforts of having a cellphone with me.
Roam's service is good as long as you don't plan on using much data. To be clear though, unless they've changed their pricing scheme recently, $2.95 a day is if you sign up for a month - the cost is more than that if you sign up daily or weekly.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #521
rockchica
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddysdaddy View Post
Roam's service is good as long as you don't plan on using much data. To be clear though, unless they've changed their pricing scheme recently, $2.95 a day is if you sign up for a month - the cost is more than that if you sign up daily or weekly.
They must have changed their pricing scheme recently because when I bought it you could buy plans for 1 day, 3 days, 7 days, 14 days, or 30 days. In total I paid $11.95 for 3 days which works out to just over $3.95 a day. I only need service for 4 days as am going on a cruise and planning on shutting down my phone while on the ship. I don't think I will need all that much data because WDW offers free wifi and so does all the hotels I am staying at.
rockchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #522
rocknroll
Mouseketeer

Blackberry Phone and bridge to Playbook?

Hi, for the BB experts out there, is the following scenario (that my boys say can be done) possible?

My family wants to celebrate my 50th birthday with me while I am solo at WDW. (To keep it short, through several circumstances a trip for 10 is down to one). My tech savvy boys think I can use the bridge function on my BB phone and synch my Playbook video cam function to stream a "current" event using the free WiFi at the parks.

Specifically, they want me to do a live video of my Illuminations Cruise that is booked on my birthday, and the family will sing Happy Birthday back right after.

Back up plan is to just save the video to YouTube for them to view, then when back at hotel celebrate with them through internet then.

Any advice or comments, including the answer "not possible" are more than welcome.

Additional info: I will have a US travel pass on my Telus Plan for roaming, calls, text and some data. Assumption is that roaming will allow the phone to pick up a WDW carrier for data as well as phone and the cynical side of me that doesn't trust wireless providers is saying that this would be too good to be true.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Roehl
rocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #523
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
Hi, for the BB experts out there, is the following scenario (that my boys say can be done) possible?

My family wants to celebrate my 50th birthday with me while I am solo at WDW. (To keep it short, through several circumstances a trip for 10 is down to one). My tech savvy boys think I can use the bridge function on my BB phone and synch my Playbook video cam function to stream a "current" event using the free WiFi at the parks.

Specifically, they want me to do a live video of my Illuminations Cruise that is booked on my birthday, and the family will sing Happy Birthday back right after.

Back up plan is to just save the video to YouTube for them to view, then when back at hotel celebrate with them through internet then.

Any advice or comments, including the answer "not possible" are more than welcome.

Additional info: I will have a US travel pass on my Telus Plan for roaming, calls, text and some data. Assumption is that roaming will allow the phone to pick up a WDW carrier for data as well as phone and the cynical side of me that doesn't trust wireless providers is saying that this would be too good to be true.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Roehl
My concern would be with the spottiness of wifi coverage at the parks. When I was there last month, my phone would keep switching between wifi and 3g as a roamed around.

I would be surprised if you could find/maintain a consistent wifi signal in the parks, let alone on the water, and if you lose that signal and start streaming using your data, it will get very expensive very quickly (even with a roaming package).
Old 04-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #524
rocknroll
Mouseketeer

Thanks! You probably saved me a lot of $!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddysdaddy View Post
My concern would be with the spottiness of wifi coverage at the parks. When I was there last month, my phone would keep switching between wifi and 3g as a roamed around.

I would be surprised if you could find/maintain a consistent wifi signal in the parks, let alone on the water, and if you lose that signal and start streaming using your data, it will get very expensive very quickly (even with a roaming package).
I "knew" there was something wrong with our plan. NOT! LOL. Thank you very much for keeping me from being another news story about an unexpected >$1,000 phone bill. Deifinitely nixing that live feed idea.

And when you brought up that the part about being on the water, I also remembered that if the wind/breeze is going the wrong way, the boat is going to be at least partially under a bridge.

Thanks again fellow Calgarian.

Cheers!

Roehl
rocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #525
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

So we have service with Eastlink here in NS. Their US roaming info reads like this: "Calls to North American are 50¢/min, text is 50¢/msg and data is $1/MB."

50 cents per text seems like a lot. I'm not sure how the data rate is--I have a smartphone but only very recently. I'd like to have the advantages of surfing, touring apps, email etc. Wondering if it's worth it to buy a US phone.

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: