Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #31
lolinmr
Mouseketeer

Buy a calling card for $10.00 (1000 minutes) and use your hotel or pay phone..... unless you need to receve calls while your at the park.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:14 AM   #32
nosnobunny2006
Mouseketeer

I also am on a monthly Rogers plan and use my cell phone all the time in Florida. Granted I'm very conscious that the cash register is ticking and keep my calls short. But even with that I've never had the outrageous bills that I keep reading about. My calls cost approx. $1 per minute. I can handle that.

Beth
nosnobunny2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2007, 08:36 AM   #33
ChisJo
Cause afterall, a dream that you wish, will come true!

We opted to get a calling card right through our home phone company. The cost was $10 for prepaid minutes, it is charged right to our phone bill, the minutes never expire, and the cost for US to Canada calling is 3.3 cents per minute. I figure that's a great deal. We will have our cell phones with us to check the missed calls. We can check our voicemail using the calling card, and if the call warrants a return, than we will be able to do so without ridiculous charges. We too are with Rogers for our cell phone provider, and just to add enough minutes to make it worth it for our upcoming trip with not worth the money (our monthly billing fell halfway in between our trip, and to add US minutes, we would have had to do it to BOTH months....not worth the $80, considering we can get WAY more minutes through our own phone company!).

Also, since the minutes never expire, I am confident that we will have these for a long time. We don't actually get a calling card that we would probably lose or misplace, just a phone number that we have to call to input our phone number and pin, and then off we go!

ChisJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #34
Cixelsyd
Earning My Ears

Thanks you guys for all the helpful suggestions! I'll probably get a calling card with my home phone company, and resist receiving or making calls on my cell while at the park. Plus, it might just make a more enjoyable disney immersion experience to cut down on all the phone calls!
Cixelsyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #35
disneyfan2
Dreaming about a Mouse
Does anyone know how to use google

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisJo View Post
We opted to get a calling card right through our home phone company. The cost was $10 for prepaid minutes, it is charged right to our phone bill, the minutes never expire, and the cost for US to Canada calling is 3.3 cents per minute.
Do you mind stating what cell compnay you use? Will they charge you roaming fees for each call. When we went last year, our cell co. said the roaming fees are $1.50(+ minutes ) they suggested a calling card as well but said the roaming fees are still high.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #36
TimNDansMom
Enjoys a leisurely lunch
WDW or (bus)t!
Was part of a "poop culture" phenomenon!

We've used T-Mobile Pay As You Go in the past...just a cheap phone bought at Walmart in Detroit before a trip. For $25 it came with 30 minutes/60 days if I remember correctly.

For a recent trip we bought a Tracfone for $15 at Walmart in Detroit which came with 20 minutes total during online activation at tracfone.com (which we did in our hotel room with the laptop) and bought a $10/30min card to add to that, which also adds 45 day to the service end date. You can make international calls for the same price as calling in the US by calling a 1-800 number first or by assigning up to 10 1-800 numbers to your most dialed international numbers, for faster dialing, which is explained on their website. So DH programmed the phone with all the numbers we might need here at home, into the address book. It was nice to be able to call home and not see all the minutes eaten up because we were calling Canada. I returned to Florida this month and just bought another $10 card to add to what was left from the previous trip last month. The desk top tells you how many minutes you have left and when the service end date for the phone is if you don't top it up. Right now our service end date is March 10, 2008.

Feb '86 Friend's House, Jan '87 Friend's House, July '00 Dixie Landings(now POR), Nov '00 Dixie Landings (no kids), Mar '01 HoJo MGE, July '01 CSR, ASMu, AKL, New Years '02 ASMu, March '02 ASMu, March '03 ASSp (no kids), Aug '03 CILBV (mini trip), Oct '03 ASSp (solo), March '04 Pop Century (no kids), July '04 POFQ, HRH, POP (2 moms & a teenager), Nov '04 Pop Century (2 moms), Feb '05 Pop Century (solo), May '05 Pop Century (w/Dan), July '05 HoJo DISNEYLAND, Nov '05 Pop Century, Jan '06 Pop Century, May '06 Pop Century (w/Dan), July '06 HoJo DISNEYLAND, Dec '06 Pop Century (MVMCP), Jan '07 HoJo DISNEYLAND, Oct '07 (MNSSHP) Pop Century, Nov '07 (2 moms MVMCP) Pop Century, Feb '08 HoJo DISNEYLAND (w/Tim & Dh), Oct '08 Pop Century, Jan '09 Pop Century, July '09 HoJo DISNEYLAND (w/Dan & Dh), Oct '09 Pop Century, Dec '10 (2 moms/Flickr photog group) Pop Century, May '11 Hawaii and HoJo DISNEYLAND, Oct '11 Pop Century , Jan '12 ASSp, Feb '12 HoJo DISNEYLAND, Dec '12 Pop Century, Jan '13 HoJo & Tinker Bell Half Marathon DISNEYLAND, Aug '13 Disneyland Hotel & Dumbo Double Dare Challenge, Planning~Nov '13 Pop Century & Wine & Dine Half Marathon

Last edited by TimNDansMom; 11-23-2007 at 01:13 PM.
TimNDansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #37
nosnobunny2006
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNDansMom View Post
We've used T-Mobile Pay As You Go in the past...just a cheap phone bought at Walmart in Detroit before a trip. For $25 it came with 30 minutes/60 days if I remember correctly.

For a recent trip we bought a Tracfone for $15 at Walmart in Detroit which came with 20 minutes total during online activation at tracfone.com (which we did in our hotel room with the laptop) and bought a $10 card to add to that. You can make international calls for the same price as calling in the US by calling a 1-800 number first or by assigning up to 10 1-800 numbers to your most dialed international numbers, for faster dialing, which is explained on their website. So DH programmed the phone with all the numbers we might need here at home, into the address book. It was nice to be able to call home and not see all the minutes eaten up because we were calling Canada. I returned to Florida this month and just bought another $10 card to add to what was left from the previous trip last month. The desk top tells you how many minutes you have left and when the expiry date for the phone is if you don't top it up.
We considered this option before we realized how affordable my regular cell phone was. The only catch is that nobody at home knows the phone number with the throw-away phones. While it may work for us calling them, nobody at home would know how to get in touch with us. Hmmm.... that might not be such a bad idea after all.

Beth
nosnobunny2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #38
TimNDansMom
Enjoys a leisurely lunch
WDW or (bus)t!

LOL Beth, I know what you mean, but we emailed the phone number to just a few family members, we thought should have it and if anyone else wanted to reach us, they could go through them. We bought it mainly to keep in touch with the boys at home and if DH went off golfing so we could meet each other later. Plus DH and I were able to keep in touch when I went back this month with a friend.

Feb '86 Friend's House, Jan '87 Friend's House, July '00 Dixie Landings(now POR), Nov '00 Dixie Landings (no kids), Mar '01 HoJo MGE, July '01 CSR, ASMu, AKL, New Years '02 ASMu, March '02 ASMu, March '03 ASSp (no kids), Aug '03 CILBV (mini trip), Oct '03 ASSp (solo), March '04 Pop Century (no kids), July '04 POFQ, HRH, POP (2 moms & a teenager), Nov '04 Pop Century (2 moms), Feb '05 Pop Century (solo), May '05 Pop Century (w/Dan), July '05 HoJo DISNEYLAND, Nov '05 Pop Century, Jan '06 Pop Century, May '06 Pop Century (w/Dan), July '06 HoJo DISNEYLAND, Dec '06 Pop Century (MVMCP), Jan '07 HoJo DISNEYLAND, Oct '07 (MNSSHP) Pop Century, Nov '07 (2 moms MVMCP) Pop Century, Feb '08 HoJo DISNEYLAND (w/Tim & Dh), Oct '08 Pop Century, Jan '09 Pop Century, July '09 HoJo DISNEYLAND (w/Dan & Dh), Oct '09 Pop Century, Dec '10 (2 moms/Flickr photog group) Pop Century, May '11 Hawaii and HoJo DISNEYLAND, Oct '11 Pop Century , Jan '12 ASSp, Feb '12 HoJo DISNEYLAND, Dec '12 Pop Century, Jan '13 HoJo & Tinker Bell Half Marathon DISNEYLAND, Aug '13 Disneyland Hotel & Dumbo Double Dare Challenge, Planning~Nov '13 Pop Century & Wine & Dine Half Marathon

Old 11-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #39
kellyla
Pooh Beanie-aholic
Soccer mom
Go Leafs Go!!

We bought a Tracfone also.On their website you can get a Canadian phone number that family and friends can use to call you after you register your phone..They phone the local number(I got a Hamilton number)it then in turns rings at your Tracfone number.That way there is no long distance charges(great for when my boys would call us).I dont have to top up my phone until March 2008 and they are always sending me bonus codes to get extra time for free.
kellyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #40
ChisJo
Cause afterall, a dream that you wish, will come true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan2 View Post
Do you mind stating what cell compnay you use? Will they charge you roaming fees for each call. When we went last year, our cell co. said the roaming fees are $1.50(+ minutes ) they suggested a calling card as well but said the roaming fees are still high.
it's not with my cell phone provider (that's rogers), it's with my home phone provider (in alberta, i use shaw). The calling card is directly through the home phone company. if we use the calling card, we will use a pay phone. I agree with one poster....not having the use of the cell phone while on my trip will probably make for a better trip anyways!

ChisJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #41
mousy_in_canada
Ahhh to dream!
I qualify for one of my girls...

how much does Tracfone charge per minute? Is it for incoming and outgoing as well? This seems like a good deal!
Split stay with Poly LGV/AKL SV /OKW villa December 2006

Fort Wilderness Cabin January 2005

Fort Wilderness Camping December 1994

Caribbean Beach Resort (Disneymoon) February 1992

Off site March 1987

Off site December 1981
mousy_in_canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:33 AM   #42
PoohsHubby
Mouseketeer

Just as an FYI, if you are using a calling card and use it in your room, they will charge you 75 cents per call. What I did in September was use the payphone in the lobby and use the 1-800 number that came with the card.
PoohsHubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #43
encinc
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know whether there is a Walmart near the airport in Buffalo? Do Tracfones have to be purchased at Walmart, or are they available elsewhere?

We were planning to travel cellphone-less because of how ridiculously expensive the roaming fees are on our cellphone plan (upwards of $3 per minute). If we can get a Tracfone for under $25, I'd love to go that route, just for the peace of mind of having a cell phone in case of emergency.
encinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:28 PM   #44
mousy_in_canada
Ahhh to dream!
I qualify for one of my girls...

I am not 100% sure where you are staying before flying out, but if you go to walmart.com and put in store locator and use zip 14225 you will find some, I know there is quite a few around that area!
Split stay with Poly LGV/AKL SV /OKW villa December 2006

Fort Wilderness Cabin January 2005

Fort Wilderness Camping December 1994

Caribbean Beach Resort (Disneymoon) February 1992

Off site March 1987

Off site December 1981
mousy_in_canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #45
TimNDansMom
Enjoys a leisurely lunch
WDW or (bus)t!

I just checked the Walmart website and there's one off Walden Galleria Rd on the opposite side of the I 90 from Walden Galleria Mall. The website says they have Tracfones in stock. We have the C 139 shown there at $14.88

One thing, at the Walmart we went to in Detroit, they didn't have the 30min cards out on the floor in the electronic dept. with the other cards and phones, it was at the cashier's counter in the dept.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: