Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #331
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrUvGrL View Post
We were just in Michigan 2 weeks ago - walked into a walmart and phone a 30 dollar phone that comes with 300 minutes! Bought two of them and plan to leave them in the fridge from our fridge swap so that other people can hopefully benefit from them.

Figure I don't have to worry about roaming charges and we'll never use 600 minutes in 2 weeks!
That is very thoughtful of you. I'm sure whoever swaps that fridge with you will be tickled too.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #332
disneybound08
Mouseketeer

Setting up wireless router without laptop

My husband and I both have iphones, but the rates for US data are crazy!!! $30 for 10 MB - We will probably only use facebook to keep in touch with family and maybe check email, but I dont think 10mb will be much. We recently go a new wireless router, I was thinking about taking the old router down with us and purchasing internet though our Disney resort a few times during our stay, perhaps the 2nd night/3rd morning, 5th night/sixth morning. Can I set up the internet access without my computer, Im assuming my router is still set up using our WEP so we'd be protected?? Any help or suggestions appreciated, or should I just bite the bullet and pay for the rogers add on
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #333
M_T
Earning My Ears

Please don't close your router off
As for your data ... clear your statistics on your iPhone and use it for a couple days like you would in the US then check your usage. Turn off your WiFi to force cell.
Can anyone recommend a good small travel wireless router?
M_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #334
GrtWtNorth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8jdgca View Post
Can i let by net 1phone go dead and reactivate at anytime for no fee- does anyone know-taget had a deal 200 minutes with phone for 29.99
You don't pay a fee to reactivate, but you will need to purchase more minutes.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #335
BonnieMB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidaygirl View Post
Since we live in Saskatchewan we have a plan through Sasktel that allows us to phone our cell phones or any other Sasktel mobility customer free, in Canada or the U.S.. We have used our phones with no problems (have also called back to Canada again no problem).
Wow of MTS in Manitoba has the same thing that would be enough to make me switch!
Sadly my BB is with Telus and the DH is a luddite and remains cellphone-less
But having the BBMessenger with my sister (Also Canadian but with Rogers) would make things SO much easier when we are scattered across parks during some days. Anyone know if Telus has such a great deal as Sasktel?

BonnieMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #336
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

Okay this cellphone in the U.S. business is all so confusing!!!! I have all our reservation info and intineraries saved into my phone. We were planning on using the Google Maps on our drive down if we needed to (we will print off our route, but use the phone as a just in case) I was also counting on using the phone to call ahead to a hotel when we were ready to stop for the night.
I could live without social networking for the week we are gone I guess, but I was looking forward to posting a couple of pictures on Facebook for family before we came home.

I am with Bell and was going to ad the $10.00 U.S data package to my plan before we leave. It will still cost me $1.00/MB. I don't understand the whole MB stuff, but I don't imagine I'd use that much MB just by checking out a few webistes right?????

I'm so confused
Old 08-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #337
M_T
Earning My Ears

You will not use that much "MB" just checking a couple website but you will use a lot with google maps.

If you want to do a test ,, reset your devices statistics (ie Data usage) and try using it for a couple days with maps .. then check the amount of MBs used.

When I drove down last month I borrowed a GPS from a friend and it worked out great.

mt
Old 08-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #338
abear_hugs
Earning My Ears

Cell Phone Roaming = Confusing

Ok so my Mom and myself have Blackberry cells with no SIM card with Telus. My mom and myself have planned to take them down to Disney World in September. We plan to use BBmessanger between the two of us when our group get separated. However I also have the Lines application from touring plans book marked on my phone. I went to the telus site. One thing says $3/MB roaming for blackberry but then another part says .10cents per page view on the web plus the $3/MB.

So my question is when I go to use the web am I going to be charged .10cents per page or just the $3/MB because I'm on a black berry.

You'd think they would figure out a way to explain it clearly like give examples. But of course they don't because then they earn more. And phoning Telus gives me a big huge headache, but I know I am not alone.

Anyways, any help would be much appreciated.

UPDATE: Used only BBM & Web on my vacation and was only charged $4 for using just over 1MB of data on my blackberry. Had no other charges. So I didn't find it to be a bad price.

Last edited by abear_hugs; 10-20-2010 at 05:48 PM.
abear_hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #339
Fabooliss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrUvGrL View Post
We were just in Michigan 2 weeks ago - walked into a walmart and phone a 30 dollar phone that comes with 300 minutes! Bought two of them and plan to leave them in the fridge from our fridge swap so that other people can hopefully benefit from them.

Figure I don't have to worry about roaming charges and we'll never use 600 minutes in 2 weeks!

Hmmm... great idea. Maybe a Cell phone swap is in order?

Disneyland March 2014
POP Feb 2007, Jan 2011
Wonder Feb 2, 2013
Fabooliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #340
roberthodgson
Earning My Ears

last time we went down and used the Iphone for checking a few sites and Twitter we used around 60MB worth of data in a short time
I bought an Ipad 3G for our last trip $25.00 for a 2GB data Package from ATT
Old 09-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #341
M_T
Earning My Ears

Watch your cell phones by the pool
I had my iphone stolen from the beach pool at the GF.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:33 AM   #342
Hockeychic
Dopey 2013...Yah baby

Anyone know what the charges are if you use your bell phone in the states but for text messages only

Thank you

Marathon Weekend with all my WISH friends
Hockeychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #343
H-Rad
Earning My Ears

So say I have an iPhone with a 6gb plan through fido, does anyone know if it's just the roaming charges I would pay for data or is there an extra charge? And what is the roaming fee?
H-Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #344
cslittle999
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rad View Post
So say I have an iPhone with a 6gb plan through fido, does anyone know if it's just the roaming charges I would pay for data or is there an extra charge? And what is the roaming fee?
That data is only usable on the Fido network. Roaming data can bankrupt you. If you have the US Data Roaming add-on ($10 per month) US data costs $1 per MB. You can also buy U.S. Data Travel Packs. Travel packs are valid for one month. There are three different plans. You can look them up on Fido's site.

CBR November 2003
WL December 2005
First Trip Home - BWV August 2007
MNSSHP - VWL October 2008
BWV and AKV Kidani August 2009
BWV November 2009 - 20th Wedding Anniversary
BWV/HHI August 2011
cslittle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #345
H-Rad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslittle999 View Post
That data is only usable on the Fido network. Roaming data can bankrupt you. If you have the US Data Roaming add-on ($10 per month) US data costs $1 per MB. You can also buy U.S. Data Travel Packs. Travel packs are valid for one month. There are three different plans. You can look them up on Fido's site.
Thanks a lot, I was just going to use my data there, didn't realize it was only for the fido network.
H-Rad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: