Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #316
cslittle999
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_T View Post
Hello

I was wondering if it's possible to buy a AT&T (or other) SIM from ebay and activate as pay as you go in the Rogers iphone (removing the rogers sim)?

I would really like data access in WDW but Rogers rates are a killer.

I would jail break my iPhone if needed but would rather not.

Has anyone tried this ?
I haven't tried it but it should work. You would need to jail break the iPhone because it is locked to Rogers network. Beyond that you just need to find a sim and provider that does pay-as-you-go data.

CBR November 2003
WL December 2005
First Trip Home - BWV August 2007
MNSSHP - VWL October 2008
BWV and AKV Kidani August 2009
BWV November 2009 - 20th Wedding Anniversary
BWV/HHI August 2011
cslittle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #317
M_T
Earning My Ears

Was just reading on another thread that for 10/month the rogers data plan can be used in the US. This would be great if it can be removed once we get back.
If this is true I can then save a lot by tethering and not have to purchase Internet at the resort
M_T is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #318
cslittle999
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Was just reading on another thread that for 10/month the rogers data plan can be used in the US. This would be great if it can be removed once we get back.
If this is true I can then save a lot by tethering and not have to purchase Internet at the resort
You still pay $1/MB on top of the $10/month making it too expensive to use for anything other than some light email.

CBR November 2003
WL December 2005
First Trip Home - BWV August 2007
MNSSHP - VWL October 2008
BWV and AKV Kidani August 2009
BWV November 2009 - 20th Wedding Anniversary
BWV/HHI August 2011
cslittle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #319
M_T
Earning My Ears

ACK ... not worth it for sure!
back to jail break I guess.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #320
joannalh
Mouseketeer

Hmm, we were going to buy walkie-talkies which is what we had the last time we were at DW, but I keep hearing about people having trouble with them... it sounds like a cheap US phone is the way to go. We won't have a car though. How would we get to Walmart/Target? By cab? How far would that be? (From Wilderness Lodge)
joannalh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #321
Da2154
Earning My Ears

buying cellphones with 407 area code

Our group bought 2 Verizon LG phones with $10 prepaid, 99 cents per day. They were about $25 each at a Wal-Mart Supercentre (oops, spelled Supercenter down there, of course!) near WDW. So the phone itself was really only $15. Activated them with 407 phone numbers, and they worked great in the parks when we split into 2 groups.

Don't bother taking photos with them though, the only way to get them off was to message them to my normal Canadian cell phone while still in Florida and that used up some of the $10 allocation. USB link didn't allow photo transfer.
Da2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #322
holidaygirl
SSR our Home away from Home

Cell phone use

Since we live in Saskatchewan we have a plan through Sasktel that allows us to phone our cell phones or any other Sasktel mobility customer free, in Canada or the U.S.. We have used our phones with no problems (have also called back to Canada again no problem).
holidaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #323
GrtWtNorth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannalh View Post
Hmm, we were going to buy walkie-talkies which is what we had the last time we were at DW, but I keep hearing about people having trouble with them... it sounds like a cheap US phone is the way to go. We won't have a car though. How would we get to Walmart/Target? By cab? How far would that be? (From Wilderness Lodge)
Walkie talkies work OK in the parks, but the range is limited, and there may be interference from other users. We found that we could communicate well within 500 yards, but only through cryptic static from land-to-land within Magic Kingdom. FYI, walkie talkies are not allowed in carry-on luggage.

Before you run off to Walmart or Target, try the HESS gas station or convenience stores in non-Disney resorts. There's some in the vicinity of Downtown Disney. (We've always found car rental deals, so never took a cab off property.)
GrtWtNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #324
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I investigated this for our Apr/May trip and it turns out there is a 3 month commitment to add on the $10 charge and use your data in the US.

Best value for us was to each pay $10 and get 20 txt mssgs....after that they were $0.50 each. Still a crappy price but better than without the package!

In 2009 we had Virgin cells shipped to our resort and that worked well too.
Belle599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #325
M_T
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle599 View Post
I investigated this for our Apr/May trip and it turns out there is a 3 month commitment to add on the $10 charge and use your data in the US.

Best value for us was to each pay $10 and get 20 txt mssgs....after that they were $0.50 each. Still a crappy price but better than without the package!

In 2009 we had Virgin cells shipped to our resort and that worked well too.
Looked into it ,, you still have to pay $1/MB on top of the $10/month charge.
I'm thinking of forwarding my text msgs to email and using data instead of texting.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #326
LovesHerTaurus
LovesHerTaurus

Eek

I was wondering. If there are two phones from the same carrier that usually have free txting between each other, for txting only (CANadian phone!) would I pay roaming charges?

I have a work business Blackberry and if there are crazy charges on there, my director of finance may fly down to Florida and murder me and bury me in a lagoon. My fiance has a cell phone from the same company (kmts) and usually all our texting is free.

Also, I get about 100 emails a day on my Blackberry for work. Do I have to turn it off while I am in WDW?

Anyone have experience with this??

8/15/10 - First trip to WDW - ASMu AND 8/16/10 - Getting married ABOVE Disney World!
LovesHerTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #327
glendalais
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesHerTaurus View Post
I was wondering. If there are two phones from the same carrier that usually have free txting between each other, for txting only (CANadian phone!) would I pay roaming charges?

I have a work business Blackberry and if there are crazy charges on there, my director of finance may fly down to Florida and murder me and bury me in a lagoon. My fiance has a cell phone from the same company (kmts) and usually all our texting is free.

Also, I get about 100 emails a day on my Blackberry for work. Do I have to turn it off while I am in WDW?

Anyone have experience with this??
Generally yes. Unlimited features don't normally apply once you cross the border. You would probably not only have to pay roaming charges, but also international text charges. You should check with your company and carrier to make sure, though.

As to your email. You don't have necessarily have to turn it off while abroad, just disable the data and push email features (at least that's how it works for iPhones, I'm not so sure about Blackberries).

Former Disneyland Resort Cast Member

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies, nor of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc..
glendalais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #328
LovesHerTaurus
LovesHerTaurus

Orrrrrrrr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendalais View Post
Generally yes. Unlimited features don't normally apply once you cross the border. You would probably not only have to pay roaming charges, but also international text charges. You should check with your company and carrier to make sure, though.

As to your email. You don't have necessarily have to turn it off while abroad, just disable the data and push email features (at least that's how it works for iPhones, I'm not so sure about Blackberries).
I could just turn off my Blackberry and ignore work, enjoy a real holiday for once, and have a big 10 day party with my new husband and my daughters

Texting would be handy, BUT I'm thinking with all the hassle we should just create whistles for each other a la Sound of Music. Mine will be "you're a cute babe" whistle, his can be the Batman theme, and I can do a bird for my 10 year old and a death march for my tomboy....

8/15/10 - First trip to WDW - ASMu AND 8/16/10 - Getting married ABOVE Disney World!
LovesHerTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #329
GrUvGrL
Earning My Ears

We were just in Michigan 2 weeks ago - walked into a walmart and phone a 30 dollar phone that comes with 300 minutes! Bought two of them and plan to leave them in the fridge from our fridge swap so that other people can hopefully benefit from them.

Figure I don't have to worry about roaming charges and we'll never use 600 minutes in 2 weeks!

2008 All Star Movies - 2010 Pop Century - 2011 All Star Sports - 2012 April Carnival Cruise (Nassau) - 2012 August Carnival Cruise (Grand Turk & Nassau) followed by 2012 - August - Art of Animation
GrUvGrL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #330
sk8jdgca
Mouseketeer

Net 10 or trafone

i have an old tracfone but was looking to chang eit up- for anyone wit a net 10. on trac phone i just called up and reactivated my phone and there was no charge- i just bought new minutes also i called a 1800 number than a canadian number and it was a local call
Net 10 says canadian calls are 15 cents per minute. Can i let by net 1phone go dead and reactivate at anytime for no fee- does anyone know-taget had a deal 200 minutes with phone for 29.99

2011-POFQ
2010- ALK
2009-Windsor Hills
2007-ASMu
2005-off site somewhere
My QSDP report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2551446
sk8jdgca is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: