Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #271
Wazzo
Is in need of a No Way Jose!
Just the unput I was looking for
I'm the undecided party

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefrogdog View Post
1. Is there a time delay to activate the phone once in the US? I'm debating buying a T-Mobile or Virgin phone once I arrive in Orlando for November but would like to start using it right away. Wil it work right away once activated?

2. Also, when you buy a pre-paid card, do you have to activate it by certain time? For example, if I buy a pre-paid card now, could I wait to use it (and activate it in November)?

3. Also, can you buy pre-paid cards in Canada (e.g. Virgin) and use them for a US-based phone?
Hopefully someone will have better answers for you, but here's a start:

1. I haven't activated my phones yet (they won't activate at home in Canada), but I have read that people have started using the phones 10 minutes after activation. You do have to charge the phone before activation though, and that can take 4-6 hours. So, that might be a delay for you.

2. You should be able to buy a pre-paid card and wait to use it. They usually don't start the clock until you activate the card.

3. Not sure on this one, sorry!
Wazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #272
DearDaisyinDurham
I'm trying not to look at the poutine, it's my weakness

Question

Any new info?? Would love updates.
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #273
CDNmouse
Well I am a Big Dog Daddy you know my face and the joint starts rockin when I walk in the place.

Just back from a week in Naples FL folowed by a week in Orlando.

I picked up three Net10 pay as you go phones from a Target Store in Detroit before going.

Phone were on sale, reg $29.99 on sale for $19.99 and came with 300 minutes each.

Activated the phones online in Naples. We had a Naples area code assigned but this was not big deal as there was no additional cost for long distance calls anywhere in the USA. We went to Orlando for a family reunion at Disney World so I gave my brother and sister each a phone.

They worked great and we were able to remain in contact if we separated in the parks or allowed the kids to head over to the parks first and call to meet up when we got there.

300 minutes was more than enough for us. Charges were by the minute meaning that if our calls were 1 min and 5 secs, 2 minutes were deducted. At the end of our week in Orlando we still have almost 200 minutes left on each phone.

Since we all headed home at different times on different flights we were even able to call each other from different parts of the US for no additional cost. When I arrived back home in Detroit I called my sister from the plane, she was still at the Magic Kingdom during Extra Magic Hours.

So in total for about $60 plus tax we had three phones to use in Disney World. Worked well for us!

Gary

My wine blog.
Wines from Essex County region. >> EssexWineReview.com
CDNmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #274
Wazzo
I'm the undecided party

I recommend Net10 too! We bought ours across the border (on sale at Target for $15.49 including 300 minutes), and I activated them online back home in Canada. I used a Lake Buena Vista zip code during the activation, and I got a phone number local to WDW.

We drove down to Florida, and the phones activated perfectly once we crossed the Canadian border. We used them for texting and calling, and had a ton of minutes left. Great service!
Old 08-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #275
DearDaisyinDurham
I'm trying not to look at the poutine, it's my weakness

Thumbs up tHANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNmouse View Post
Just back from a week in Naples FL folowed by a week in Orlando.

I picked up three Net10 pay as you go phones from a Target Store in Detroit before going.

Phone were on sale, reg $29.99 on sale for $19.99 and came with 300 minutes each.

Activated the phones online in Naples. We had a Naples area code assigned but this was not big deal as there was no additional cost for long distance calls anywhere in the USA. We went to Orlando for a family reunion at Disney World so I gave my brother and sister each a phone.

They worked great and we were able to remain in contact if we separated in the parks or allowed the kids to head over to the parks first and call to meet up when we got there.

300 minutes was more than enough for us. Charges were by the minute meaning that if our calls were 1 min and 5 secs, 2 minutes were deducted. At the end of our week in Orlando we still have almost 200 minutes left on each phone.

Since we all headed home at different times on different flights we were even able to call each other from different parts of the US for no additional cost. When I arrived back home in Detroit I called my sister from the plane, she was still at the Magic Kingdom during Extra Magic Hours.

So in total for about $60 plus tax we had three phones to use in Disney World. Worked well for us!

Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzo View Post
I recommend Net10 too! We bought ours across the border (on sale at Target for $15.49 including 300 minutes), and I activated them online back home in Canada. I used a Lake Buena Vista zip code during the activation, and I got a phone number local to WDW.

We drove down to Florida, and the phones activated perfectly once we crossed the Canadian border. We used them for texting and calling, and had a ton of minutes left. Great service!
Thanks, we'll definitely look into Net10 at Target & hope we catch a sale. Hope it's as easy to reactivate after a couple months without using them, KWIM?
Old 08-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #276
jasmom
Mouseketeer

Last week I was in Syracuse and they didn't have any at Target. That was one of the reasons we went was to look for phones. I am still trying to figure out how we are going to communicate.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:39 AM   #277
CDNmouse
Well I am a Big Dog Daddy you know my face and the joint starts rockin when I walk in the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DearDaisyinDurham View Post
Thanks, we'll definitely look into Net10 at Target & hope we catch a sale. Hope it's as easy to reactivate after a couple months without using them, KWIM?
We are not even going to bother trying to reactivate the. I looked at the cost of reload minutes and 300 minutes was $30 ... more than what we paid for the phone. We will just get new phones again next trip.

We got ours at target but I have also seen them at other big box stores like Walmart.

Gary

My wine blog.
Wines from Essex County region. >> EssexWineReview.com
CDNmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #278
DisneyStiles
Proud Albertan

First - my apologies as I haven't read all of this thread. We are flying to WDW, taking the ME and will not be in the US prior to our trip. Is there anyway to get these phones in Canada ahead of time? Sorry if this has already been answered.

Also does anyone know if the walkie talkies work well at WDW

Thanks,
DisneyStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #279
CupidsKiss
Do these pixie wings make my tush look big?

Free Minutes

I was browsing Walmart.com & Target.com for the Net 10 and Trac phones. They do not specify that they come with minutes. Is it everyones experiences that they generally do or do you need to purchase the phone cards too?

CupidsKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #280
Wazzo
I'm the undecided party

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyStiles View Post
First - my apologies as I haven't read all of this thread. We are flying to WDW, taking the ME and will not be in the US prior to our trip. Is there anyway to get these phones in Canada ahead of time? Sorry if this has already been answered.

Also does anyone know if the walkie talkies work well at WDW

Thanks,
I personally couldn't find any companies that would ship the phones to Canada, so I had to go and get them across the border. You could have them shipped to your hotel in Florida, but you'd still need to charge and activate them. HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupidsKiss View Post
I was browsing Walmart.com & Target.com for the Net 10 and Trac phones. They do not specify that they come with minutes. Is it everyones experiences that they generally do or do you need to purchase the phone cards too?
When I was shopping for the phones in person, the only phone that came with minutes was the Net10 phone. All of the other prepaid cellphones I saw at Target, Walmart, KMart etc. did not come with minutes included. Online deals may be different though...
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #281
CupidsKiss
Do these pixie wings make my tush look big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzo View Post
When I was shopping for the phones in person, the only phone that came with minutes was the Net10 phone. All of the other prepaid cellphones I saw at Target, Walmart, KMart etc. did not come with minutes included. Online deals may be different though...
Thanks Wazzo

CupidsKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #282
bluenosemickey
Canadian in search of sun

My experience is with a virgin phone. We originally bought them last year at the DTD virgin store. They were 9.99 each and we bought $30 phone cards for each phone. They activated with very little trouble by phone. We used them for 2 trips because the minutes were valid for 90 days and we were just within the limits with the Dec and March vacations. Very pleased at that time and found the phones invaluable.

Now, we returned in august and because the virgin store is now closed (princess Di exibit) we tried to buy phone cards on line. Well that was an exercise in frustration, for some reason it wouldn't accept our am$ visa card. Kept saying to try another credit card. I suspect it had something with the matching of the address and the credit card. Anyway, we tried to call virgin with the phones, managed to get a new phone number assigned to the phone but still couldn't manage to get any minutes purchased to actually use the phones. I was extremely frustrated with their phone system, kept getting sent back to the start of the automated process

I really had counted on using these phones with my extended family along for the trip this time. I think for next trip I will try to stop somewhere across the border prior to pick up some of these other phones mentioned and start again. I'm scared to buy virgin prepaid cards for fear that we won't get them working for some reason and their system is so difficult to troubleshoot. Not ever was I able to talk to an actual living breathing human!!

If you can get phones, they are fantastic and well worth $50-75 for the benefit.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #283
peter-nf
Earning My Ears

We're going to disney world in 3 weeks for a week and currently have 3 phones with bell. The lady on the phone said i could add a US roaming service to our plan that would give us 100min for $40, 200min for $70 or 400min for $100 on all 3 phones combined. Is there any reason i shouldn't add the service? Something i'm missing? My understanding is i will get 400 minutes total on the 3 phones combined for calls to each other in Florida, other phones in Florida and calls home to Canada with no extra charges (except for the $100) and most importantly can anyone confirm that my phones will actually get service? (no old phones).
peter-nf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #284
ont/ohana
Proud SSR owner

We purchased 3 NEt10 phones today in Buffalo and brought them home to Canada. If we activate them ahead of time here we know the time will start right away but will they pick up a signal as soon as we cross the border again a week later. Assuming they won't work here at all. Was going to use a Disney hotel zip code for activation
CBR-1993, POR-2003, POP-2005, POR-2006, SSR-2006,OKW-2007, BCV-2007, SSR-2007, VB-2008, SSR 2008, SSR 2009, BWV 2009, AKV 2009,HHI 2010, SSR 2011, VB2011, SSR 2012, VWL 2012, SSR 2012, SSR 2012,BWV 2013, SSR 2013, VWL 2014, SSR 2014, AOA 2014
ont/ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:53 PM   #285
petbren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ont/ohana View Post
We purchased 3 NEt10 phones today in Buffalo and brought them home to Canada. If we activate them ahead of time here we know the time will start right away but will they pick up a signal as soon as we cross the border again a week later. Assuming they won't work here at all. Was going to use a Disney hotel zip code for activation
Not going for another month(28 days, actually, but who's counting)
Where in Buffalo did you buy them, and did they come with the 300 minutes?
AKV-KIDANI 2014 Fantasy E.Carib.20132011 HHI 2011 BWV 2009 BCV/OKW for F&W Festival, 2008 AKV,2007 1st trip home BWV 2006 Pop Century 2004 Polynesian 1991 Caribbean Beach Resort 1982 Off Site 1977 Off Site
petbren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: