Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #211
SaskDisNut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadave View Post
Just trying to understand how the disposable phone thing works...if I order 2 phones from VirginMobile and have them delivered to the resort, what do I have to do to activate them? Do I need a laptop? Some come with $10 or so of air time...can I get more time? When I'm done my holiday, do I just throw them away???
If this has already been discussed in the earlier 14 pages, I apologize.
I can't speak for the VirginMobile phones but I'll tell you of my experience with the Tracfones I used on our trip in Dec. I bought 2 of them at a Walmart in Montana when we were down there in the summer. They were $10 each. I didn't activate them until the day before we left on our trip. I just went to their website and followed the instructions on the site and used the phone itself to get it registered. They both registered, each was assigned a phone number and had 20 minutes of airtime included. We only used the phones to call each other and they worked great. For what we used them for it was worth it. I wouldn't call the phones disposable as they can be reused again after they expire although you have to go through the registration process again and get another phone number. For calling home I used the PC Phone card that has been described on this thread. At $.04/minute, it is hard to beat.

In the future, I might just switch to our cell provider's new Unlimited Talk North America plan for $40/month.
May 2007 - WDW - Pop Century
Dec 2008 - WDW - Pop/CSR
Jan 2009 - WDW - Beach Club - IBM Lotusphere 2009
Oct 2009 - WDW - CSR & Free Dining!!
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - HOJO Anaheim
Feb 2012 - Disney Wonder - Mexican Riviera Cruise

Check out my --> CSR Review 10/3/2009 - 10/11/2009
SaskDisNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #212
mithuri
Earning My Ears

Hi;
[Sorry for the late reply, we were away during holidays].

This is what we did...

We ordered 2 phones over internet, paid by PayPal since they don't accept Canadian Credit Cards and had them addressed to our offsite hotel. The phones got to our hotel within 3-4 days. Since we didn't have internet connection, we simply called their 1-800 number and a very nice lady activated them for us. To buy additional minutes, you can either buy them from their website (and pay by PayPal) or buy 'Top-Up' minute cards from any store (eg Walmart, Target, 7-Eleven, even some dollar stores, while in States). The minutes last you 90 days. If you normally travel to Buffalo or any border city (like we do) and wish to keep the phone active after your vacation, you can simply top-up your phone every 90 days. Otherwise, simply let the minutes lapse and the phone becomes throw-away.

I hope this helps,

Mithuri
mithuri is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #213
Canadave
I've always found those last few days not very productive at work
Splash Mountain is #1 for an overall Disney experience

thanks mithuri
Just a couple of more questions:
Do the phones come charged? Or better still, how do these phones run...rechargable cell phone batteries or AA's ??....if rechargable, do they come with a charger?
How did you call the 1800 # ...with the actual cell phone or did you use the resort phone? Not sure how, technically, the activation works. Sorry if I sound dense, but I don't have a 14 year old son to help me out!

Jan./Feb. 2000 - All Star Movies
Jan./Feb. 2002 - All Star Music
Jan./Feb. 2004 - Pop Century
February 2006 - Pop Century
February 2009 - Pop Century
February 2012 - Disneyland
Apr./May 2014 - Pop Century...then Disney Cruise on the Fantasy
Canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #214
Jetstar
Keep Moving Forward.

Cell Phone at WDW

Forget about using your Canadian cell phone. When we went, we picked up a $20.00 pay as you go cell phone when we crossed the boarder at Tops and activated it before we got on the plane to fly to Disney. It came with I think 100 or 200 min. We texted all the time and made calls when we wanted. By the end of our trip we had used most of the min. It is so much cheaper and it was a lot easer then you would think.
AS Movies 2000
FWCampground 1998
FWCampground 1995
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #215
beavdisfan
Earning My Ears

1- rogers phones do work very well in wdw.
2 - you can buy an at&t sim and it will work on a pay as you go basis in a rogers phone.
3 -or go in to any 7-11 buy a virgin mobile pay-go phone for $20.00 and $10.00 talk time.
they work great are cheap to use and can be re-activated any time. i have had one for three years.
4 - or you can buck and up pay the charges to use the phone you already have. if you can afford disney a few calls should not matter.
beavdisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #216
bluenosemickey
Canadian in search of sun

For those of you flying and not near an american city, you can pick up $10 virgin phones in DTD at the Virgin store (where else?). The only issue may be availability. The first day we dropped in, they only had $60 phones. Since we needed 2 (to call each other) we came back another day when they got more of the cheaper $10 phones back in stock.

So our priority was to be able to call each other while in WDW. Not calling back to Canada. Although, we did do that too(.30/ min for international calling). The phone cards we bought at the store $30 each, were 400 mins each. Too much time really. But we are going back with the 90 day period and so will use up the rest of the time in March. Otherwise, I would have gotten cheaper cards.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #217
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

how many local minutes did you get on that 10 phone? and can you reactivate it next year?

do the minutes click off when you use the 800 number for the calling card?

i'm still wondering if we should get a phone down there or just add text messaging to our bell phone and use the calling card from the hotel to call canada and the UK
Kurby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #218
Ginzu
Disney n00b

Post Options for Rogers Wireless subscribers

Hi folks,

I've been researching some options for my options down in Orlando coming up in February. Both my wife and I are on Rogers Wireless today and we don't plan on any heavy use while we're down there.

I'm worried about getting dinged heavily for roaming fees so I've decided to look at some prepaid SIM card options.

The main choices seem to be T-Mobile or AT&T Wireless - both have prepaid SIM cards you can buy when you get down there - or another option is buying the SIM card off of EBay before you leave (you could save some money using this option).

What I did find is that there is a MNVO called O2 Wireless (or Oxygen Wireless, depending on what you find) that runs on the AT&T network. Essentially, it's just like what Petro-Canada Mobile and 7-11 Speakout wireless is like there - it's a 3rd party company offering service on an incumbent network (in the Petro-Canada/7-11 instance, they both run on the Rogers/Fido network).

Anyways, back to O2 Wireless - there are two options to buy an O2 Wireless SIM card. First, you can go to Best Buy and just buy the SIM card there - it includes 50 minutes. For $10, I think that's the easiest option. More details here are on the Best Buy website (.com, not .ca)

Option 2 would be to buy one off of Ebay - I went this route since it looked like some of the Best Buy stores near Windsor Hills did not carry the SIM card - price is about the same with shipping. Search the EBay site for "Oxygen Wireless" and it should come up.

So, the next question is the phone. If you have an *unlocked* GSM phone, all you need to do is take out your Rogers SIM, pop in your O2 SIM and off you go. When you come back, put your Rogers SIM back in and you're back to your original setup. If your phone is not unlocked - there are plenty of unlocked phones floating around on EBay or unlocking websites that will unlock your phone for you.

Hope this helps - I'll provide feedback on how the O2 service went.
Ginzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #219
disneyred
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginzu View Post
Hi folks,

I've been researching some options for my options down in Orlando coming up in February. Both my wife and I are on Rogers Wireless today and we don't plan on any heavy use while we're down there.

I'm worried about getting dinged heavily for roaming fees so I've decided to look at some prepaid SIM card options.

The main choices seem to be T-Mobile or AT&T Wireless - both have prepaid SIM cards you can buy when you get down there - or another option is buying the SIM card off of EBay before you leave (you could save some money using this option).

What I did find is that there is a MNVO called O2 Wireless (or Oxygen Wireless, depending on what you find) that runs on the AT&T network. Essentially, it's just like what Petro-Canada Mobile and 7-11 Speakout wireless is like there - it's a 3rd party company offering service on an incumbent network (in the Petro-Canada/7-11 instance, they both run on the Rogers/Fido network).

Anyways, back to O2 Wireless - there are two options to buy an O2 Wireless SIM card. First, you can go to Best Buy and just buy the SIM card there - it includes 50 minutes. For $10, I think that's the easiest option. More details here are on the Best Buy website (.com, not .ca)

Option 2 would be to buy one off of Ebay - I went this route since it looked like some of the Best Buy stores near Windsor Hills did not carry the SIM card - price is about the same with shipping. Search the EBay site for "Oxygen Wireless" and it should come up.

So, the next question is the phone. If you have an *unlocked* GSM phone, all you need to do is take out your Rogers SIM, pop in your O2 SIM and off you go. When you come back, put your Rogers SIM back in and you're back to your original setup. If your phone is not unlocked - there are plenty of unlocked phones floating around on EBay or unlocking websites that will unlock your phone for you.

Hope this helps - I'll provide feedback on how the O2 service went.
I will be waiting to hear this works out for you ?? you mention going to best buy to pick up the SIM card for 02 ..?? is there one close to disney ??
disneyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #220
momdad4kids
Mouseketeer

Bell Mobility

Has anyone used the connect Florida plan through Bell? $20 a month,2 month minimum with 100 free mins per month,total $40 per phone ,additional minutes are charged out at $0.39.I know its cheaper perhaps to go with disposable phones but due to home/work commitments I want to be available while away
momdad4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #221
I Am Canadian, Eh
Earning My Ears

Just back from WDW... noticed at the ticket centre at Walmart on S.John Young Parkway (so I can assume the others as well) - a shelf full of the $9.99 Virgin Mobile phones. Went into home electronics and cheapest ones they had were $20 - but sure enough they had the cheap ones right there where you get your passes - so obvoiusly they know people are doing just this.

Besides - this way you can give your "new" # to only people that really need it, and leave the rest of the world behind! I quite enjoyed not getting a phone call for 2 days.
I Am Canadian, Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #222
Beechnut
Mouseketeer

I just got my Canadian Bill

We bought 10$ virgin phones and got 10$ worth of free minutes. They came uncharged, but with a house charger (6hr recommended 1st charge - overnight) We activated them on line and used them to call each other while there, as well as make local calls. We have about $2 left on one of the phones. They shut off (out of service) when we crossed the border.
For reasons nothing to do with the US phones I made a call on my own cell. one phone call was 42.00 . and we were charged 0.60 for each text sent from the canadain phone. (again my problem, I thought 'unlimited' meant unlimited. not unlimited only in canada. - my problem )

So when I do it again. I'll dig out the phones and top them up with 10bucks and off we go again.
By far the most economical way to do it.

My 2 cents
Beechnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #223
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

bell used to be unlimited in the states for text messaging and as of august 08 then changed that to 60 cents a message. of course they push their "Florida" plan but when i mentioned the 10 buck phones we could get in the states they hummed and ahhhhed. in this day and age there is no need to pay 60 cents a message or 6 bucks a mb when using your laptop. it's insane

and lets not discuss the long distance rates hotels gouge you for - it's completely insane.

i just wish those 10-10 numbers worked on cell phones.

but for me - we bought a 900 minute card for $20 bucks which gives us about 300 minutes to call canada with - more then enough minutes to call home.

but of course my parents decided that they were going to go to england at the same time we go to florida so now there's no one left at home to call so we prob wont use the calling card. good thing they don't expire.
Kurby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #224
Ginzu
Disney n00b

Best Buy store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyred View Post
I will be waiting to hear this works out for you ?? you mention going to best buy to pick up the SIM card for 02 ..?? is there one close to disney ??
I'm not sure - check with the Best Buy website and their Store Locator function. I think there's one near the Universal Studios area but I've never been to Orlando yet - so I'm going into unknown territory...
Ginzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:50 AM   #225
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
4 - or you can buck and up pay the charges to use the phone you already have. if you can afford disney a few calls should not matter.
I cannot disagree with this statement enough.

On one trip to Florida, my cell phone bill was over $1000 because I decided to "Buck up and pay for the calls.." My whole trip to Disney didn't cost $1000!

Obviously .. that's a lot of cash and i gotta tell ya, yes a family emergency was involved so at the end of the day - I had to make those calls. However, had I had a disposable phone - it woulda been much less.. probably around $150.

Live and learn. I won't ever take my Canadian phone down there again.

Knox

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: