Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #151
Saskmom
Earning My Ears

Cell phone use at WDW

I started a new thread because no one on the sticky thread regarding cell phone use seems to be a Sasktel Mobility customer. I just got my bill from our trip in January. We have a month to month plan with 150 long distance minutes with Sasktel mobility. We paid 95 cents per minute total for roaming in Orlando. We made a couple of calls to each other (both Sasktel Mobility phones) and one call home. All 95 cents per minute. Our total roaming charges were $9.50 for 10 minutes of roaming. Any long distance charges and air time charges were included in our monthly package. This was exactly as Sasktel promised when I phoned before I left and I didn't have to do anything special. Just turn on my phone and use it. Hope this helps anyone else from Saskatchewan who was wondering.
Saskmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #152
disneyred
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGuy View Post
If it's at all helpful, you can order the tracfones (or any of these) from their respective website and have them shipped to your resort just prior to your check-in.
are you sure about this?? someone from work said that they tried and called the tracfone hotline .. but they only took orders using a United states credit from a U.S.A. address ??? can anyone confirm this ??

thanks !
disneyred is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #153
joech
Mouseketeer

I went to Wal mart (20 minutes drive from AKL) and bought 2 Tracfones to used while we were in WDW. You can also buy cell phone from the virgin store in DTD.

1st DCL Oct 13-17
2013 Oct 12 -26 AKV Kidani (1st DCL Oct 13-17)
2012 Dec 22- Jan 3 AKV Kidani
2011 July 13-27 AKV Kidani
2010 Dec 25-30 Disneyland
2009 July 12-24 AKV Kidani
2008 Dec 25-Jan 4 AKV (1st trip home)Christmas 2008 AKV First Trip Home Report with Pictures
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2036527
2008 May 23-26 DVC Getaway Days Travel Expo
2007 Dec 15-29 AKL
2007 March 29-Apr 4 AKL/Contemporary
joech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #154
mom2faith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskmom View Post
I started a new thread because no one on the sticky thread regarding cell phone use seems to be a Sasktel Mobility customer. I just got my bill from our trip in January. We have a month to month plan with 150 long distance minutes with Sasktel mobility. We paid 95 cents per minute total for roaming in Orlando. We made a couple of calls to each other (both Sasktel Mobility phones) and one call home. All 95 cents per minute. Our total roaming charges were $9.50 for 10 minutes of roaming. Any long distance charges and air time charges were included in our monthly package. This was exactly as Sasktel promised when I phoned before I left and I didn't have to do anything special. Just turn on my phone and use it. Hope this helps anyone else from Saskatchewan who was wondering.
Hi Saskmom,

That Roaming fee charged by Sasktel is very irritating!! I was in Edmonton with my sister and we were 1 van apart in traffic and it was long distance.

Any way, what about texting? If we have a planthat includes it, there should be no charges, right?

Amy (another Saskmom)
mom2faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #155
calmman
Earning My Ears

i agree with man upper me!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #156
karters*mom
Vacation_Junkie ☼

text is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2faith View Post
Hi Saskmom,

That Roaming fee charged by Sasktel is very irritating!! I was in Edmonton with my sister and we were 1 van apart in traffic and it was long distance.

Any way, what about texting? If we have a planthat includes it, there should be no charges, right?

Amy (another Saskmom)
I agree texting is better...you can even text to a home phone number if you want. When they answer they will get an automated message that verbally tells them what the text message says....so even if they don't have a cel phone you can still text anyone!

2008 Travels
Disney World ☼ Varadero , Cuba ☼ Aruba ☼ Costa Rica ☼ Grand Cayman Islands ☼ Mexico

2007 Travels
Jamacia ☼ Bahamas ☼ Dominican ☼ Cuba ☼ Panama ☼ Disney World ☼ Mexico
karters*mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #157
highland3
Just wishing for a return to WDW!!!
I just spent the past 30 minutes reading a thread about dog logs!!!!

Virgin Mobile

Well, our two "free" Virgin Mobile phone were waiting for us at CSR when we arrived. We charged them the first night.

Activating through the toll-free # was quite a challenge. At first the rep insisted we had to buy more time. After a transfer to a supervisor, everything was worked out and we had a $12.50 credit on each of the phones.

Pretty good for a cost of $21 through the Virgin website.

The phones weren't the greatest and signal was not perfect... for for the price it was a great way to stay in contact while we split up!

2004 Port Orleans Riverside
2008 Coronado Springs Resort
highland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #158
maggieb9975
DIS Veteran

Bell Mobility

I have used the $40.00 coverage for Connect Florida and you DO have to call to cancel it......It costs $20.00 per month but you have to have it for 2 months. It gives you 100 minutes per month. But we have to add that to both phones so is quite costly.

If you have a text plan with Bell that is the way to go I think. That is what my DD and I plan on using 'cause you can also text landlines....see info below:

http://www.bell.ca/support/PrsCSrvWl...xtMessage.page
Old 03-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #159
DearDaisyinDurham
I'm trying not to look at the poutine, it's my weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiRTyBuNNy View Post
Nope you would still be roaming. Think about it this way...no matter where you are your phone is still a canadian phone and you'll play applicable charges. I would suggest just buying a cheap wireless phone on a pre-paid plan. You can get them at any WalMart in the US.

--Mr. DB
Roaming bites. When I go to the states I don't use my rogers cell b/c of roaming charges. I bought an at&t pay as you go phone at target. also if I have to call from the hotel, I get an at&t phone card from target for that. saves me a ton of $$.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #160
The Shamus
Earning My Ears

Virgin Phones ... one last suggestion

If you live close to the US border ... and you are making a trip there before your vacation ... the Virgin phones are available at most large retailers. The Virgin USA site will give you a list of retailers if you type in a ZIP code.

I picked up my $9.99 phones -- the retailer you go to may not have the selection of the website ... but I got a nice FLIP-style phone. The guy at the Buffalo, NY store (Radio Shack) activated both phones for me right there. Once it is activated, you have 90 days to use the credit on the phones.

If you need to be contacted at your regular cell number, I suggest you put a message on your voicemail box giving people your temporary Virgin number to reach you.

Let's hope one day, the Canadian cell phone companies will be competitive. Today, they make too much money on roaming to change their ways.

/\/\/\/\ the Shamus /\/\/\/\
The Shamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #161
petbren
DIS Veteran

tracfone

We recently returned from the World.
I activated a Tracfone from home, online, and got 20 min. of airtime by doing so.
We only used it when necessary, to call hotel, dining reservations, etc.
Unfortunately, it looks like we won't be doing a return trip until 2009.
I have 13 min. left on the phone, expire April 5, and a 60 min. extra air time card.
If anyone is interested in purchasing this from me, please PM me for details.
AKV-KIDANI 2014 Fantasy E.Carib.20132011 HHI 2011 BWV 2009 BCV/OKW for F&W Festival, 2008 AKV,2007 1st trip home BWV 2006 Pop Century 2004 Polynesian 1991 Caribbean Beach Resort 1982 Off Site 1977 Off Site
petbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #162
ddawg
Mouseketeer

If I buy the virgin mobile phone what would it cost to call back to canada and to receive calls from Canada?
ddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #163
teag_98
Mouseketeer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleyann View Post
The phone with charger and double minutes for life was just $12.88. It came with 10 minutes of free calling. A call to Canada was just a cent per minute and text messaging was only three cents. This is the cheapest rate to go!

Charleyann

HI, can you tell me where you bought it at WDW? I need to order two and don't know quite where to start, it would be a lot easier if I could just buy them when I get there.
Thanks!
teag_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #164
PrincessNED
I can certainly attest it was not a man
Those blasters from star wars could keep the eggs warm at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg View Post
If I buy the virgin mobile phone what would it cost to call back to canada and to receive calls from Canada?
It's 15 cents per minute if I recall correctly, no extra to receive.

CBR 10 nights Jamaica - May 2006
CSR 8 nights - Dec 2007
POP 8 nights - Nov 2010

PrincessNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #165
jtdl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karters*mom View Post
I agree texting is better...you can even text to a home phone number if you want. When they answer they will get an automated message that verbally tells them what the text message says....so even if they don't have a cel phone you can still text anyone!
I have a plan that includes free text messaging (Solo) and it was still free - NO ROAMING CHARGES - when I sent/received texts while in Orlando. When I called and asked about options for the US, I was told that the texting is free anywhere in North America and, again, no roaming charges. I had to put a credit card on the account in order to have the phone activated in the states but nothing was ever charged. I'm not sure why, but service is cut off as soon as I cross the Bluewater Bridge into Michigan without the cc on the account. I guess they must activate it a different way or something
Feb 2005 - Pop Century
Nov 1998 - off site
Oct 1995 - ASMu

jtdl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: