Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #46
Calliaz
DIS Veteran

We went to a launch in May of 2000. It was really great to be close, although we didn't have tickets. I think the mission had been scrubbed a few times and was supposed to have left before we got to Orlando. Once we found out we could go, we rented a car and just drove to the coast. Our trip was last minute and without much information so we ended up at some random place. It was still cool.

I recently found this website with information on how to get good viewing spots in the area.

Last edited by Calliaz; 12-03-2007 at 09:40 PM. Reason: fix pictures
Calliaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 PM   #47
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

well I know if you're at Port Canaveral on the Disney Cruise you have a nice view of the building where they repair the shuttle. I believe the Launch pad is like 6 miles from the building so it'd be a pretty good show. There you have it, an excuse to book a Disney cruise AND see the shuttle launch You just have to be at port on launch day.

edit: I was hoping the launch would be scrubbed till the last week in December so I could see it on my trip. That looks doubtful and I know they have other missions going up, so I'll just have to hope I get to see one after Jan 09 since that's the next time I'll be down there

Last edited by zulemara; 12-03-2007 at 09:58 PM.
zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2007, 06:26 AM   #48
enyaj40
I use antlers in all of my decorating...

when we were entering the world from an offsite hotel in '88, we saw all these cars lined up along the road

i was thinking, 'what's up here?'

looked straight ahead and saw a shuttle launch

even from that distance, i thought it was stunningly beautiful

maybe because i was remembering the tragedy in early '86

i also saw a launch during an imax movie, and believe you me, i felt like i was right next to the thing
enyaj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:24 PM   #49
raven69david
I am a Superuser. Got a problem with that?!

Not sure if it's been posted since i've read none of the responses, but shuttle launches are known to be delayed quite often. Lets hope for everyone that's made plans around this launch that it goes as planned. I'm hoping it'll be delayed until Saturday after i arrive.
1997-2003: Off-site, 2004: DD born ; missed this year, 2005: SoG for MVMCP, 2006: AKLSV for Magical Beginnings, 2007: ASMo/AKLSV for MVMCP, 2008: CSR for Surprise Trip in August, 2008: AKLSV/CR/POP for MVMCP, December 2008May 2009: Pop/AKLSV, August 2009: POFQ/WL-CL, December 2009: AKLSV for MVMCP Too many since then to list and WAYYY tttoooooooo many more to go.............
raven69david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:30 PM   #50
Eclpz314
ADDICOMNIAC
I must've sounded scary or looked scary because they just said "ok" and kinda backed away
...everything is something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven69david View Post
Not sure if it's been posted since i've read none of the responses, but shuttle launches are known to be delayed quite often. Lets hope for everyone that's made plans around this launch that it goes as planned. I'm hoping it'll be delayed until Saturday after i arrive.
That makes two of us......three if you count dh. Last year it took off while we were still at the airport waiting to fly to Miami. We've toured the space center and would love to see a launch one time. We arrive on the 8th.
Eclpz314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #51
carlyle688
DIS Veteran

Space Shuttle launch is scrubbed for today. They are going to try again tomorrow.
carlyle688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #52
raven69david

Quote:
shuttle launches are known to be delayed quite often
See what i mean.
1997-2003: Off-site, 2004: DD born ; missed this year, 2005: SoG for MVMCP, 2006: AKLSV for Magical Beginnings, 2007: ASMo/AKLSV for MVMCP, 2008: CSR for Surprise Trip in August, 2008: AKLSV/CR/POP for MVMCP, December 2008May 2009: Pop/AKLSV, August 2009: POFQ/WL-CL, December 2009: AKLSV for MVMCP Too many since then to list and WAYYY tttoooooooo many more to go.............
Old 12-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #53
BPCooper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
See what i mean.
This was the fourth shuttle launch of the year. All three shuttle launches this year, STS-117 118 and 120, lifted off on time on the very first try.

Earlier this year, a study was done by the AP and found that the shuttle launches on the first try just over 40% of the time.

My guide for viewing launches from Cape Canaveral:
http://www.launchphotography.com/Lau...formation.html
BPCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #54
raven69david

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPCooper View Post
This was the fourth shuttle launch of the year. All three shuttle launches this year, STS-117 118 and 120, lifted off on time on the very first try.

Earlier this year, a study was done by the AP and found that the shuttle launches on the first try just over 40% of the time.
Sorry, but you're incorrect. There are many posts on here (if the search worked as intended you could find the articles) with alot of disappointed people who have missed launches due to delays.

STS-117 was delayed due to being damaged from a hail storm. Launch date was scheduled for March 15th; launched on June 8th.

STS-118 was delayed 1 day to repair a valve in the shuttle's crew cabin pressurization system. Original day was august 7, actual launch was august 8, 2007.

STS-120 was originally scheduled to launch on October 20, but due to the International Space Station program requirement, launch was delayed to October 23, 2007.

All of the launches in 2007 were moved back due to problems with external fuel tanks. They hadn't received modified fuel tanks in time to complete prelaunch work on the shuttle fleet.

The "if the AP said it, it must be true" mentality has got to stop.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:55 PM   #55
Eclpz314
ADDICOMNIAC
I must've sounded scary or looked scary because they just said "ok" and kinda backed away
...everything is something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyle688 View Post
Space Shuttle launch is scrubbed for today. They are going to try again tomorrow.
I think they should hold off until Saturday........say, after 10:45am or so.
Eclpz314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #56
BPCooper
Mouseketeer

The launch is now set for Saturday at 3:43pm EST. A decision as to whether to proceed with this will be made Friday afternoon at the mission management team meeting and that will follow with a press conference around 5pm or later.

The statistics I posted are based on first launch attempts, not dates planned in advance. Your facts are also correct above though. STS-117 was the first time the shuttle launched on the first try since Columbia five years ago. STS-120 was then the first launch to lift off on the date set at what is known as the flight readiness review (FRR) held about two weeks before launch (Oct. 20 was changed a couple of months before hand; this delay was a given as the Russian Soyuz flight was slated for Oct. 10-21 and cannot overlap).

Planning for a launch requres careful skil and willingness to change if the date changes in advance :-) but once a date is set at the FRR you have a more decent shot.

Last edited by BPCooper; 12-06-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #57
raven69david

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPCooper View Post
I have no "mentality" as you describe. I'm not sure just some fan reading AP stories lol.
Sorry Ben. That wasn't directed at you at all. I stated it because alot of news events in the past few months have had alot of "facts" quoted from AP articles and have been presented as fact, when in fact they were only speculation. Sorry if you took it the wrong way, but i can guarantee that it was no personal attack in the least.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #58
disneyfan19712006
DIS Veteran

view from MGM

Quote:
Sorry Ben. That wasn't directed at you at all. I stated it because alot of news events in the past few months have had alot of "facts" quoted from AP articles and have been presented as fact, when in fact they were only speculation. Sorry if you took it the wrong way, but i can guarantee that it was no personal attack in the least.
If we are at MGM which way should we look? I wish it was on Sunday while we are on the Wonder. We will not have a car but even a glimpse would be nice. I just need to know which way to look.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #59
BPCooper
Mouseketeer

The launch is now being targeted for Sunday. T-0 would be 3:21:00pm EST.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #60
BPCooper
Mouseketeer

Atlantis is officially go for a launch attempt on Sunday at 3:21:00pm EST.

The test of the fuel sensors comes around 6:41am as fueling begins, so whether they are working or not will be known early. Keep an eye out on news sites such as:

www.SpaceflightNow.com

...for updates to see if all is go or no-go early before you leave.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: