Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
pumpkinfish
Clothing Expert and Magic Giver of Dis Girl Club- Zeta Chapter
Thinks she knows who the Tag Fairy is (WRONG!)
Although, very cute, Tinkerbelle is an amateur!

Cheap, easy Crock Pot ideas.

Mom gave me one of her crock pots last night. I'm stoked as I have been budgeting a lot more and doing more at-home meals for DH and myself rather than eating out.
The only problem is I don't know what to do! LOL. I've never cooked in a crock pot and have no idea what to use it for. I know I can make meals and leave them in all day (which will help me out since I am so tired at the end of the day after work).

Can anyone share a great site for ideas or maybe share some of your own?

TIA!

*July '84 Disneyland and Olympics*August '92 Offsite for 1st trip to WDW*Thanksgiving '94 Offsite for 1st family trip*December '96 Offsite for Christmas/New Year's*September '01 Offsite for OUR 1st trip*September '03 Offsite for our 2nd trip*September '04 PoP for 1 night/offsite for rest of our 3rd trip*April '05 Our 1st complete onsite stay @ POFQ*October '05 POFQ*February '06 POR with the girls!*February '07 PP- Our first trip together to DL!!!*October '07 POFQ*June '08 POP*September '08 BC-CL*Jan/Feb '09 BWI-CL (w/mom)*1st trip WELCOME HOME! OKW/Poly Oct '09*BWV Nov '09*BWV April '10*Poly/BWV XMAS '10*Feb '12 BWV birthday celebration!*Oct '12 BCV/GF*
The open road. The dusty highway. Come, I'll show you the world! Land! Sea! Excitement!
pumpkinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
neatokimmo
DIS Veteran

My crockpot is running right now

I am experimenting with dried beans. Last week it was 10 bean soup with ground beef and BBQ sauce in it - yum! This week is going to be white beans with Tabasco and leftover rotisserie chicken (that I froze a couple of weeks ago). I'll probably add an onion to it.

I like to make pot roast in mine. 2/3 pound roast, a few dried Chinese dried mushrooms, a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can or two of water (depending on how big the roast is). Add a second can of soup if you want to put it over noodles.

Have fun with your new toy
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
EnchantedPrincess
DIS Veteran

Santa Fe Chicken

Combine the following in your crockpot:

1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn
1/2 cup salsa

After stirring, add:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup more salsa

Cook on low for 3 hours. Then add,

1 block of cream cheese

Cook one more hour. Serve over rice with flour tortillas.

Sept 2001 All Star Music (pre-kids)*August 2007 Contemporary Resort*June 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge*August 2009 Grand Floridian/Beach Club Villas/Bay Lake Tower*March 2010 Bay Lake Tower*Dec 2010 Bay Lake Tower[/SIZE]
EnchantedPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
EnchantedPrincess
DIS Veteran

Here's another favorite of ours and really easy:

1 beef roast
1 can of coke
1 bottle of heinz chilli sauce
1 packet of onion soup mix

Cook on low for 8 hours.

My dh loves it with a little kick, so I normally substitue the heinz chilli sauce with about 10 oz of ketchup and 2 oz of chilli sauce (the vietnamese kind)
I also don't use the packet of onion soup mix since I want to avoid msg in the mix, so I use a few teaspoon of Mrs. Dash.

Sept 2001 All Star Music (pre-kids)*August 2007 Contemporary Resort*June 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge*August 2009 Grand Floridian/Beach Club Villas/Bay Lake Tower*March 2010 Bay Lake Tower*Dec 2010 Bay Lake Tower[/SIZE]
Old 11-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Lisa_M
DIS Veteran

ETA: 8 hours on low is generally the rule with this stuff

I make a roast with 1 packet of onion soup mix and 1 cup of water
another roast recipe: 1 packet of gravy mix, 1 cup of water, chopped up onions
or sometimes I use a dried italian dressing packet, onions and 1 cup of water

chicken: throw some chicken breasts in and (CHOOSE 1) 2 cans of cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup or a bottle of italian dressing

pork chops: (boned or boneless) toss them in with a bottle of bbq sauce (or make your own by mixing ketchup and italian dressing

The Fix it and Forget it Cookbook is really good. I have made Turkey Chili from it as well as meatloaf.

Meatloaf recipe:
1.5lb ground beef
¼ cup chopped onions (I chop them small)
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
A little garlic powder
1 ½ -2 cups of Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg
¼ cup of milk

~First, beat the egg and milk together in a bowl. In another bowl put the beef, everything else and dump the egg and milk over it. Mix it together really well and shape into a loaf that is at least an inch smaller than the inside of your crockpot.
~Then I chop up about 6-8 potatoes in cubes, toss them in the bottom of the crockpot, so they are cover the bottom, Toss some chopped onions over it. I usually add a little salt and pepper then. Then I put some baby carrots on top of the potatoes.
~ Put the loaf on top of the potatoes and carrots and then spread some ketchup on top of the meatloaf.
~Cover. Cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to Low and cook 7-8 hours. Don’t lift the lid, just let it cook.

Here's are 2 threads that have loads of recipes on them:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=275509

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=922893
Me DH DD DD #2 my little babeski
Lisa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
Lisa_M
DIS Veteran

How big is your crockpot? I cook mostly in our 4 qt one since it's just the 2 of us. I also have a 6qt one, but since it's so big, I don't like cleaning it. I recently tried those Reynolds crockpot cooking bags (4 bags for $1.69 Target). They were awesome. It really made cleanup after my Thanksgiving meatloaf so much easier. When I make Chili again in the big pot, I'm definitely using one of those bags.
Me DH DD DD #2 my little babeski
Lisa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
karinbelle
DIS Veteran

chicken n duplings

4 frozen chicken breasts skinless
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 small onion, chopped
1 can refrigeraton biskets

put 1st 3 ingredents in crock, add water to cover top of chicken.
cook on low all day.
1 hour or so before serving, shred chicken with fork and return to crock. cut biskets into 1/4 pieces and add.
finished when biskets are cooked through (about 1 hour). don't overcook.

this is like real chicken n dumplings.

recipie frm allrecipies.com

rincess:
karinbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
blanq
A 42 year old fan of Peter Pan's Flight and the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
There are some days I can't even remember my own phone number

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedPrincess View Post
Santa Fe Chicken

Combine the following in your crockpot:

1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn
1/2 cup salsa

After stirring, add:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup more salsa

Cook on low for 3 hours. Then add,

1 block of cream cheese

Cook one more hour. Serve over rice with flour tortillas.

This sounds really good! I completed my grocery shopping for the week, but started my list for next week and put the ingredients on it to make your Santa Fe Chicken.
blanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
blanq
A 42 year old fan of Peter Pan's Flight and the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
There are some days I can't even remember my own phone number

I am a big fan of making soups and chili in the crockpot. My mom gave me a bunch of leftover smoked turkey (it tastes a lot like ham), so I have been making soups in my crockpot over the last couple of days, and then I am freezing them. I made pea soup, potato cheese soup, and this afternoon I have 15 bean soup cooking in my crockpot.
blanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
Sandy321
Crazy enough to want to do another Half Marathon!
If it were all about me? - I'd go with the Princesses!!

The roast with the coke sounds good - how does it turn out? How do you serve it?? (does the meat slice? Does it matter what kind of beef roast?)

Italian Beef Sandwichs:

1 large chuck roast - trim fat off, cut the meat into cubes
1 jar of pepperocinis (I think its the 12 ounce jar I buy a large jar and just toss in about 1/2 cup with some juice, these make it spicy so it is to taste, and dh likes the solid pepperocinis on the side )
1 packet of onion soup mix - and 1 cup of water... (like another poster I often just substitute a can of campbell's double strength beef broth and a palmful of dried onions! )

after about 6 hours on high you take 2 forks and see if you can pull apart the meat - if not, it needs more time - if it pulls apart (kinda like strings) its ready and you just pull and pull each meat cube until you have a pot of Italian beef!

Serve on a crusty, crunchy Italian hard roll!!
Sandy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #11
pumpkinfish

Mmmm...wow everyone! Thank you so much for your ideas!
Tomorrow I plan on trying the Santa Fe chicken with what I have available right now.
Question, I go to work at 8 am. I won't be home until after 6pm. Will I be okay leaving the crock pot going all day without me around? Will it be okay if it cooks longer than 8 hours on low temp?
Thanks for the advice, I'm so nervous of messing this up and ruining my food (don't want to go back tot he store and spend more food money, KWIM).

Oh, and to the PP, mom gave us a regular old school one. It's the round style...not too big since it's just me and DH.

*July '84 Disneyland and Olympics*August '92 Offsite for 1st trip to WDW*Thanksgiving '94 Offsite for 1st family trip*December '96 Offsite for Christmas/New Year's*September '01 Offsite for OUR 1st trip*September '03 Offsite for our 2nd trip*September '04 PoP for 1 night/offsite for rest of our 3rd trip*April '05 Our 1st complete onsite stay @ POFQ*October '05 POFQ*February '06 POR with the girls!*February '07 PP- Our first trip together to DL!!!*October '07 POFQ*June '08 POP*September '08 BC-CL*Jan/Feb '09 BWI-CL (w/mom)*1st trip WELCOME HOME! OKW/Poly Oct '09*BWV Nov '09*BWV April '10*Poly/BWV XMAS '10*Feb '12 BWV birthday celebration!*Oct '12 BCV/GF*
The open road. The dusty highway. Come, I'll show you the world! Land! Sea! Excitement!
Old 11-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #12
pumpkinfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy321 View Post
The roast with the coke sounds good - how does it turn out? How do you serve it?? (does the meat slice? Does it matter what kind of beef roast?)

Italian Beef Sandwichs:

1 large chuck roast - trim fat off, cut the meat into cubes
1 jar of pepperocinis (I think its the 12 ounce jar I buy a large jar and just toss in about 1/2 cup with some juice, these make it spicy so it is to taste, and dh likes the solid pepperocinis on the side )
1 packet of onion soup mix - and 1 cup of water... (like another poster I often just substitute a can of campbell's double strength beef broth and a palmful of dried onions! )

after about 6 hours on high you take 2 forks and see if you can pull apart the meat - if not, it needs more time - if it pulls apart (kinda like strings) its ready and you just pull and pull each meat cube until you have a pot of Italian beef!

Serve on a crusty, crunchy Italian hard roll!!
DH is Italian and would LOVE this! I might have to go ahead and make a trip to the store anyways for this!

Old 11-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #13
EnchantedPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy321 View Post
I have use different kind of roast, but normally just the cheaper chuck roast. The meat usually falls apart if I slow cook them 8 hours. I have shredded them and serve them on rolls/buns...I guess kinda like shredded beef sandwiches, but my family really like them with rice. The sauce makes the rice really yummy!

Old 11-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #14
familyfirsttimer
Not my 1st time anymore! I'm hooked for life!!!!

There was a thread here before about chicken crock pot recipies: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1344088

Also, anthoer alternative with lots of recipies that was recommended here on the Budget Board before was: http://www.halfmysize.com/crockpotrecipes.doc

It really it so simple and the dinner turn out so well, I have to start doing it more, I am never sorry when I do!
Old 11-25-2007, 02:38 PM   #15
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

Sigh.... I am highly allergic to onions and almost all of these recipes have some sort of onion product in them. Do you think they would taste good if I left the onions out?

Any great non-onion recipes out there for the Crock Pot? I would love to make a great beef stew but don't know what to use to make the gravy from scratch.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: