Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #151
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Day 6 Part 2...more Animal Kingdom!

ok...so I'm back!

We started to get a little hungry so we were at first going to split up and get bbq and pizza and then meet up but then all just decided to eat at Pizzafari since it was easier.

I had the Hot Italian Sub...which was decent. I had to get rid of the ceasar salad on it though b/c hot lettuce just isn't appealing to me. Bleh!

Mommy had the pizza which she said was good.. typical Disney/Dominoes pizza...

And we also got a side order of breadsticks which were decent too..

I think Sarah had breadsticks and a ceasar salad which she said didn't really taste like anything. I guess it's the same ceasar salad around all the parks because I had the same problem in Epcot!

We decided to head over to Expedition Everest and I think get fast passes and then also see if we can get reservations for Yak and Yeti for an early dinner. At the time, they were only taking walk up reservations and not phone reservations through dining.

On the way though how could you NOT stop for some of these photo ops?!

shot of the Tree of Life..

heading into Asia..

We got to Yak and Yeti and for some reason I really don't think some people understand the concept of a line! Now I know in Europe and other countries lines are sometimes not upheld...but when I was on line to make a reservation, an American lady definitely walked up to the front of the line, ignoring the 10 people already waiting and told the hostess that she wanted to make a reservation. Myself and the lady behind me 'politely' told her that we were all trying to make reservations so hmm...get to the back of the line. hahaha..she looked at us like we had 10 heads and glumly walked back there. I just thought it was funny! The host at the counter was very nice and friendly and quickly took our name down for a 4:30 dinner reservation.

After a little chuckle over all that, we continued our journey through Asia...

the monkeys were feeling playful, especially the baby, so we stopped to watch them for a few minutes..

Somewhere in here (my brain is getting fuzzzzy!), we went to Everest to get fast passes and somehow got 4 of them (2 each) for around the same time...score!!!

Off to the Mahajaraja Jungle Trek which was really cool!

Kimodo Dragon..

Sarah was our trusty tour guide throughout the walk and read off the information from the guides you can pick up at the beginning of the trail.

When we got to the bats I really think we were mesmerized. I've seen bats before but these things were the biggest/cutest/ugliest things ever! We watched for awhile and saw two bats start fighting upside down for some prime real estate. And then they were munching on watermelon!

Next on the tour was the tigers. There were 3 of them that I could see from our standing spot. 2 were passed out relaxing in the sun while the other one just kept pacing back and forth in front of the window. He was either bored or irritated and wanted to get out.. lol..

We headed back towards the tree of life after that to see a Bugs Life...so cute!

This cute guy was in the tree...

and we were a little buggy...

the show was cute, minus the crazy cast member who yelled at me for taking a pic of the guy two pics up...with NO flash. Honestly? Was there an announcement for NO photography at all? I thought it was always no flash. I dont get it. Oh well.

OK...time to take a break! The rest of the AK day and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party next!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #152
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Great AK Pics!!!!

You are amazing photographer.....

I love your character pics, especially Jimminity Crickey...He is so cool

I love the one close up of that Tiger...It is like you are almost touching him, scary

I loved your photo op pics..too cute

Way to speak your mind to the lady at Yak and Yeti...You can tell you are from Jersey, like myself, we don't take you know what from anyone....You go girl
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #153
TKDisneylover
LOVES Sorcerer Mickey! Loves riding Spaceship Earth. Wants you to have a Zip A Dee Doo Dah, Zip A Dee Day....

As everyone has mentioned your pics are really great. And I love the clarity of your camera. I too would like to know what kind it is, my pics just don't seem that clear.

Thanks for sharing, I'm looking forward to your next installment!

POP Century-2008; Animal Kingdom Lodge-2007; Caribbean Beach-2004; Off grounds-2002 (never again); Port Orleans (Dixie Landings)-2001; All-Star Movies-1999; All-Star Sports-1998
Old 01-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #154
tinawv
If I had a penny for everytime I wished to be in WDW I would be a millionare :-)

Great photos of the tiger.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #155
tinkerbell87512
I would love to hear all about these secrets!

Your pictures are FANTASTIC! I'm another one whos interested in what kind of camera you have. I'm loving the report looking forward to more!

June 1992 August 2000 February 2002 July 2004 July 2005 June 2006 July 2007 October 2007 May 2008 & DCL November 2008 May 2009 Sept/Oct 2010 & DCL November 2011 August 2013 October 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #156
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster0307 View Post
Ok - what kind of camera are you using? Your pix on the safari are AWESOME! I've never gotten such close up shots of the animals before!

Can't wait to read more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
Great AK Pics!!!!

You are amazing photographer.....

I love your character pics, especially Jimminity Crickey...He is so cool

I love the one close up of that Tiger...It is like you are almost touching him, scary

I loved your photo op pics..too cute

Way to speak your mind to the lady at Yak and Yeti...You can tell you are from Jersey, like myself, we don't take you know what from anyone....You go girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDisneylover View Post
As everyone has mentioned your pics are really great. And I love the clarity of your camera. I too would like to know what kind it is, my pics just don't seem that clear.

Thanks for sharing, I'm looking forward to your next installment!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinawv View Post
Great photos of the tiger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell87512 View Post
Your pictures are FANTASTIC! I'm another one whos interested in what kind of camera you have. I'm loving the report looking forward to more!
Thanks everyone! I was using an Olympus E-300, one of those big digital cameras that I borrowed from my father. With it were two pretty awesome changeable lenses, which I don't remember the details on them though! I used the big mondo lens at AK, which zoomed in some rediculous amount

And I'm SOOOO far behind reading everyone's trip reports! EEEKK!! I'll catch up as soon as I can!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #157
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Just giving you a bump
Old 01-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #158
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

Love the AK pictures!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #159
elena05
Earning My Ears

another subscriber from Bergen County! great report so far...love the pics
Old 01-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #160
meriann
Mouseketeer

I am trying to catch up and read it all. LOVE LOVE LOVE the pics of the animals. I love my big digi and can't wait to use my new zoom lens for the safari.

Can't wait to hear about Yak and Yeti. We are debating on going there for our trip.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #161
lovemyguys
Mouseketeer

Still reading, still pregnant and still loving the report!! All your pictures are great!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #162
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Day 6 Part 3... even more AK, with Yak and Yeti!

Hey guys! Again, thank you so much for all your comments! I'm loving writing all these! I'm getting sad that I'm almost done with my trippie cause then I can't relive the trip! So on with the report... last I left you guys, we had just finished with It's a Bugs Life....

Our fastpass time was coming up for Expedition Everest so we went over there, parked mom on a bench (or a rock? lol) and ran into the line. Everyone says that you should at least once walk through the 'normal' part of the line and not take the fastpass line every time but I think that will just have to wait until I go next time. I had never ridden it and we were on a time crunch! We quickly got to the front of the line and since we each had 2 fastpasses for around the same time, we requested to first sit in the very front. OK, I LOVE this ride!!! It was awesome and the Yeti was VERY cool

After we finished that round, we quickly ran around to the entrance again and jumped back on but this time asked for the very back. Again, awesome ride! Not sure which we liked best, I think the front? I don't really think it mattered much!

We picked up mom from her resting spot and we wanted to ride Dinosaur so headed in that direction. Again, parked poor mom on a bench and we ran into the ride (I swear it's the last time we parked her somewhere! haha!). I've never been on this either so I was excited to ride it. I kept thinking I was in the Museum of Natural History in NYC while I was waiting on line with the huge dino skeleton in the center of the room...lol

Again, I really liked this ride too! I knew the scary dino was coming up at the end so we hammed it up for the picture.. hehehe

yeah we're cheap and didn't feel like buying the pic so we just took a pic of it. lol

We checked the time and realized that the Finding Nemo show that we had to see was coming up pretty soon! So we shuffled over to the theatre after quickly running through Dino-land or whatever it's called.

We grabbed seats in the theatre in the middle of the theatre and just relaxed until the show. No pics to show you guys but it was CUTE! The songs were great and the actors were pretty good too! We had opted to see Nemo instead of Lion King since we heard Nemo was so good. We then later heard from Sarah's friend that she enjoyed Lion King better but oh well! We'll have to just go see it next time we go!

After the show we headed over to Yak and Yeti for our early-ish dinner. I was excited to try the new place! And we weren't disappointed at all!

First of all, the detail that was put into this restaurant is amazing. I wish we had more time to look around but we had to quickly eat and head back to the hotel.

We started off with the Pork Pot Stickers - pan seared or steamed, soy lime dipping sauce. These were yummy! The soy lime dipping sauce had a nice flavor and the pot stickers weren't dry and were a perfect size....

We also had the Wok-Fried Green Beans - battered green beans, sweet Thai chili dipping sauce. OMG these were AWESOME! And yes, I know deep frying anything makes it better but I could have eaten these all night. The beans were still crispy, which I loved. The batter on them wasn't too heavy and had a nice flavor to it. And the dipping sauce was scrumptious! haha! I think we used it for the dumplings too towards the end. mmm... I'm getting hungry thinking about them!

The only thing that kind of annoyed me during the meal is that my mom ordered tea and the waiter came back and told us that it wasn't included on the meal plan as a drink. REALLY?! It was a tablespoon of tea leaves! It wasn't a problem paying extra for it but it was included everywhere else so I'm not sure if the waiter was mistaken or if it really wasn't included.

So back to the meal...lol...

My mom had the Tempura Shrimp - chili plum sauce, coconut-ginger rice, stir fried vegetables. She said she really liked it and ate most of it, which is a good sign for my mom!

I finally decided on the Baby Back Ribs - slow-roasted ribs, hoisin BBQ sauce, chicken fried rice, sweet chili slaw. These were YUMMY! The ribs had great flavor and were perfectly cooked, pretty much falling off the bone. I did ask for extra BBQ sauce since I love anything bbq. The sweet chili slaw was nice, but it was warm, which kind of threw me off. Not sure if I liked it hot? And the chicken fried rice had a nice flavor, but it was a little dry, like it's been sitting in the bowl on the counter for awhie.

Sarah had the sweet and sour chicken, which she enjoyed, but said that it was only slightly better than sweet and sour chicken that you can get at any chinese restaurant.

Next up was dessert...yayyy!

We first tried the Fried Wontons - Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey vanilla drizzle. Sarah and I were a good team...I really enjoyed the fresh grilled pineapple and she really liked the cream cheese wontons. I found the wontons a little too sweet for me. It didn't interest mom so she didn't even bother trying it.

Our 2nd dessert we tried was the Chocolate Brownie Sundae - chunks of brownie, vanilla ice cream, chocolate and caramel sauces, fresh whipped cream. Pretty asian, right? haha! This thing was HUGE! But it was pretty yummy! The brownie was nice and warm and everything was just...good!

After we paid, I wanted to go upstairs and see the rest of the restaurant and even though the top half of the restuarant wasn't open yet, they let us go upstairs and wander a bit. Again...awesome detail!!

ok...wrapping this up for tonight but going to hopefully start on Mickey's Very Merry Xmas Party soon!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #163
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Mmm...those beans look good!
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Old 01-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #164
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

Food looks good. Going to need too try it out when we go in march
HHI 2014

ME/DH/DS18/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va
Been married to my Coastie for 18 years
Dh,Me,Ds 18,Ds 17
Old 01-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #165
Camster0307
DIS Veteran

Yak & Yeti - OMG, those portions look HUGE! How many shrimp were in your mom's dinner entree? Thanks for taking pix - I love to see what the food looks like!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: