Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
tiggerrocks
Earning My Ears

Last year's cruise from a first time cruiser

As I'm planning the 2009 cruise I was thinking about last year's cruise and decided to share some experiences and anecdotes. Now, I haven't posted here in a while but suffice it to say I'm back and ready to share and hopefully cause a chuckle or two.

The cruise was the 3 day land/4 day sea package and since the DW is a first time cruiser I thought it would be best to have at least 3 days of something familiar in case she didn't like the ship. How wrong I was!

Day 1...or actually Day 1/2 as we left early.

Our flight from cold, wet, rainy Seattle in January left right on time at midnight. Not a lot to see in the dark and I figured what a wonderful time to sleep and think of all things Disney. WRONG!!!! First, I'm 6'1" and the leg room was for munchkins. DW didn't have a problem (no, she's not a munchkin...I've been married for 25 years and know what not to say) but the person next to her was one of the quiet but annoyingly "unique" types. He kept looking at his hospital emergency room release papers and fidgeting which made her a bit nervous. I tried to get her to listen to her IPod, to the plane's music, watch the movie, watch the movie we brought on the laptop and nothing worked. Needless to say it was a long 4 hours to our first stop.

Arriving at Dulles at 4am our time to switch planes was a welcome relief as I had lost all feeling in my legs and DW was ready to call Homeland Security about Mr. Fidgety. DW is starving as the complimentary 4 pretzels were just not enough for some reason. Know what is open by our gate at Dulles that early in the morning? Nachos. Now I live in Seattle and Nachos are not one of the big breakfast treats here but I'm on vacation and DW needs food...NOW. Coming back, nachos and coffee in hand, we proceed to wait the 30 mins for our flight to Orlando. That flight goes off without a hitch as Mr. Fidgety isn't on and the circulation has come back to my legs.

Landing in Orlando we board the tram, go to baggage claim and the Disney magic takes hold. I sail through the check in and we get in line to board the bus to the AKL. DW is exhausted but ready for some Disney fun. Arriving at the AKL I check in and am told that the room isn't ready (its only noonish) and we can park our bags and go to the parks. I'm ready but DW needs to sleep and eat something besides nachos. The staff at the AKL was wonderful and saw that the DW was not having the best trip yet. They suggested the food court for a pick me up (and no nachos) and a rest in the lobby while they hurried up the room. The Disney magic was taking hold.

After a scrumdillyisious meal of something besides nachos we walked around the grounds and back to the lobby to find our room ready. The bed never looked so good. Both DW and I were fast asleep in minutes.

Waking up after a great nap we made our way to Epcot and had some fish and chips in England and walked around a bit. It was our first trip with no kids and it was odd for us. We didn't have to run anywhere or do anything but relax. So this is what vacation is supposed to be like?

Day 1 is next...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: