Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
lighttech
DIS Veteran

Rocketship Sandwich - NOW W/ PICS! - I'm learning - UPDATE 12/5

OK, so this is the start of my very first trip report. I'm not going to add much right now, but I wanted to commit to it with a title and a post before it got too late.

First of all, the title. The trip was 5 days (4 in the parks) for me, DH and DS 2.5. When I got the suitcases out, my son promptly plopped himself inside, with some of his play food for supplies, "buckled" himself in with the clothes straps and announced he was riding in his "Rocketship." He was SO sad, when I had to empty out his toys to put in clothes.

Then, on the way home, on the plane, he kept saying "Are we in the air yet? BLAST OFF!!!"

Hence, a "Rocketship Sandwich."

OK, well, its off to bed to nurse my post-travel cold, but I promise I'll be back w/ all the gritty details...

My First Trip Report - Rocketship Sandwich
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1643402

Missing my Pennsylvania Dreams

Last edited by lighttech; 12-05-2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: new info
Old 11-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
lighttech
DIS Veteran

Packing Day

Here's DS stocked up and ready to go in his "Rocketship." He was disappointed when I had to clean out all his supplies, but once he knew it was for Disney, he perked right up.

He "helped" me pack quite a bit. He put all my socks in a baggie for me when I said I needed them packed up for our trip (a safe task to give him), and then he kept pulling them out of my suitcase and saying "Here Mommy, you need these for Disneyworld!" I think he thought if I had my socks, we could leave.

Last edited by lighttech; 11-22-2007 at 12:30 PM. Reason: adding pics
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Philadisney
In the Name of Epcot
Sometimes when I shower, I have to stare at the drain just in case a spooky clown starts climbing up it
Carries the chicken in style

I'm excited to read your report - it definitely has the best trip report title i've ever seen your son is so cute!
Nov '09: SS Aug '08: WL/BC May '06: POFQ March '05: CSR July '04: POR/Wonder cruise Fall 2002: College Program at Vista Way! (EPCOT) Nov '93, July '00, Nov '06: DL offsite July '88, July '90, April '97, July '06, March '09: WDW offsite

Old 11-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
MagiKitty

I'm in shape...shaped like a pear on two sticks

Your son is so adorable! I'm glad you got those pics of him in the luggage--those are keepers!

Great first step! Good job on the pictures and the link! Looking forward to the rest of your TR.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
lighttech
DIS Veteran

Thanks

Thanks! I'll be adding more soon. I'm just so excited that 2 people have already checked in!!

Old 11-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
snowwhite325
Another Tag Dreamer... pinch me, am I sleeping?

Your son is so cute I can't wait to hear all about your trip

Old 11-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #7
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Love it so far. Kids have such great imaginations! He's a real cutie!

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden
Old 11-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

very cute so far, looking forward to more.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
magsnden
DIS Veteran

Great job so far!! i'm subscribing now, can't wait to read more!
what a cutie, your son, in his adorable little jammies!!

p.s. i hope you get a couple more posts in before i leave on sunday morning, like a tip on how to get those dream you know whats!!(didn't want to spoil it for anyone!)

thanks dreamin in pa and disney54us
Old 11-23-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
Shmu
DIS Veteran

Followed over from Thread Killers. Here to support. Love the pics. Can't wait to hear more. I'm subscribing.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
lighttech
DIS Veteran

Intro

So, the trip was 5 nights at WDW staying at All Star Sports (our first time on Disney property .) 4 days in the park with Park Hopper passes. A night at MVMCP . And 3 ADRs for character meals. Then we transferred to Downtown Orlando for a convention for my work. I would be working for 2 days while DS and DH hung out w/ an old friend who now lives in Orlando and relaxed.

As much as I didn't want to end our vacation with work, it was really that convention that made the whole trip happen (my flight was paid for, it happened the same week our babysitter was on vacation, and DH only gets 1 week of vacation... which he would have to use to stay home with DS, so the stars aligned and off we went.)

I have a few tips I picked up either from here on the boards, or on my way. I'll try to highlight those as I go. Maybe it will make someone else's life a little easier.

So, have fun reading! I know I'm having fun typing.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #12
lighttech
DIS Veteran

Day 1 - Flyin', Shoppin', and Eatin'

Trying to get luggage, stroller, carseat, toddler, carryons, etc. was definitely a challenge. Especially when my suitcase wound up being 1 lb. overweight . I had to remove a pair of boots and put them in my carryon. Oops.

TIP: We decided to take a stroller and gate check. Rather than buy a stroller travel bag, I picked up a canvas laundry bag at Walmart for about $5. I let DS color on it with marker (which he loved). The carry strap made it easy, and the coloring made it immediately noticeable. (Just double check that your stroller fits inside.)

The flight to Orlando (security troubles notwithstanding) was fairly uneventful. It was DSs first flight, so he was pretty excited. As we took off and started looking at the tiny houses and cars, DS exclaimed "Ay yi yi... Can you believe it!?!?!" Sometimes I think he's an 80yr old trapped in a 2 yr olds body.

TIP: If you are traveling out of Philadelphia, separate everything! We did not realize that even the digital cameras would have to come out of the carry-ons and go thru in their own gray bin. Also, our ziplocs of carryon liquids had to be separated.

TIP: Check airline guidelines. We found out that if you are traveling with an infant or small child, there are some allowances for liquids like a sealed juice box or formula.

Getting off the plane was relatively a breeze. If you have the opportunity to use ME, DO IT!! Having our bags magically appear in our room later that night w/o us having to get them from baggage claim was great. Plus, the ME bus ride was fun and our driver was entertaining. It made it feel like our vacation started as soon as we landed at MCO.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #13
Shmu
DIS Veteran

All Star Sports was our first onsite stay also. That was back in 2000. We are so thankful for the value resorts. My DH won't stay off property now. Loves being on property. I am curious of how MVMCP went. Debating if we are going to purchase an extra ticket for that next year or not. I'll be tuning in.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
lighttech
DIS Veteran

Day 1 - Pt.2 (The Eatin')

After a great ride on ME where the bus driver let DS play with an old microphone since he liked the driver's so much, and where I was thoroughly embarassed by being asked to sing all the verses of Its a Small World in order for All Star Sports to not be the end of the line (I failed miserably, but gave a noble attempt if I do say so myself), we checked in. DS was given a welcome pack with crayons and a 1st Visit pin. We were upgraded to a preferred room. (Sports is so compact, I didn't really have a preference, but it was a nice start none-the-less.) We wound up moving rooms b/c our 1st floor room had apparently had a minor flood, and the carpet was soaked. Front Desk handled this beautifully, and moved us immediately. The room was small, but nice. It had been refurb'd, and the new furniture was very cute. Sorry, we filled the room up w/ so much stuff, I didn't get any good room shots.

After a long day of cars, shuttles, planes and buses, DS needed to burn off some energy. We took him out to the football field btw the Touchdown buildings, and he ran and ran (and ran.) I wasn't sure he'd stop for dinner.

Ds looks so tiny here

We then headed to DTD. Stopped at House of Blues for a "Mommy and Daddy drink" and to meet an old friend. It was SO good to see him. Parts of the art festival were there, and there was live music, so we sat outside and DS had a blast. I was starving, but it was too early for dinner. I accosted a kid next to us who had the most delicious looking food. He rec'd the empanadas from Bongos, and I do TOO! YUM.

Tip: The line is long at Bongos window service, but its SO worth it. All the food was delicious, and the empanadas are only $1.25 each and the ham croquettes are only 75cents each! Such a deal.

Afterwards, we wandered the art booths, and went back to the shops. We did the fill a box w/ Mr. Potato Head parts ($19, and made DS feel like he had the run of the place grabbing handfuls of toys to fill it up w/. Just watch the little ones... w/o moderating, we had a TON of eyes and left arms. Mom and Dad had to balance things out a bit... we still came home w/ only 1 pair of feet. ) DS also got to pick one "soft friend" to sleep w/ while on vacation, and picked Sully.

We visited the lego store and some others and picked up some little things for the folks back home. (Boy did I LOVE saying "charge it to the room, and please send the packages back to the hotel... I could get used to this. ). DS burned off some steam at the little playground outside the lego store, and then we headed for dinner at Raglans.

Raglans had EXCELLENT food, and is on the DDP. DS announced "Mmmm. This is REALLY good." when he got his Mac-n-Cheese. I tasted it, and it was! Not your ordinary blue box noodles. Then he got ice cream for dessert, and watched our waiter every step of the way. (We were eating on their patio.) At one point he clapped his hands and bounced in his chair and yelled: "That man is getting my ICE CREAM!" Much to the amusement of the college kids next to us.

Here's DS enjoying a lip-smacking desert.

Back to the hotel and to sleep for DS. DH and I sat just outside the room w/ the door propped open while he settled in. Then we said goodbye to our friend and turned in ourselves. (There was actually an extended, unfortunate incident w/ dirty sheets and poor Mousekeeping, but I won't delve into the gory details... this post is long enough. And, in the end, we got a short, but good nights rest.)

Tip: We were concerned about sharing a room w/ DS and having him sleep well. He has a small tent, and we purchased a Ready Bed for toddlers that has built in bolsters on the side of the inflatable mattress. This gave him enough of a private feeling that he settled in even on nights we didn't douse the lights and head outside the door. The bolsters only do so much though, so be careful if your little ones are truly little.

OK, thanks for reading... more tomorrow when we get to the Magic Kingdom.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:52 PM   #15
Richard Bruvofetc
Inane Merry Sag - Possunt Quia, Posse Videntur

Enjoying your trippie. And your kid in the pyjamas and suitcase - surely a future Imagineer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: