Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

Photo Assignment: Seasonal: Holiday's 2007

Ok, with Thanksgiving only a few days away I've been seeing a lot of people around my neck of the woods starting to put up their x-mas decorations. We actually put our tree up yesturday and I'm going to start putting up the outdoor decor up today. We leave for Disney next Monday and I'll have no time next weekend between work and packing. Also Disney opened MVMCP last week and the Osborne Lights are up and running as are all the other holiday decorations around Disney.

With that in mind lets get out there and start shooting or at least for now start thinking about getting some shots of the holiday decor in your neck of the woods. Be it tree orniments, trees, your outdoor decorations, your local town/city's decorations anything that screams christmas. Around me, there is a zoo that does a Zoo Lights event each year. The go crazy decorating an area of the zoo with all kinds of lights and decorations. If your going to Disney over the next 5-6 weeks, then this is the place to share your Disney Holiday pictures. I know we have a bunch of PhotoBoard regulars who are gearing up for the World over the next few weeks.

Lets see what we can do.

HAVE FUN!!!
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
gokenin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap18 View Post
Around me, there is a zoo that does a Zoo Lights event each year. The go crazy decorating an area of the zoo with all kinds of lights and decorations.

HAVE FUN!!!
Are you talking about the Stone Zoo if you are then I was down in your neck of the woods this weekend. I went down to Hunt Photography to get my tamron 28-75. Looking forward to using it in the assigment this month
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
handicap18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokenin View Post
Are you talking about the Stone Zoo if you are then I was down in your neck of the woods this weekend. I went down to Hunt Photography to get my tamron 28-75. Looking forward to using it in the assigment this month
Yep, they start the zoo lights on Thanksgiving Day. I was in Hunts this past Friday I think it was. Great place. Thats about 15-20 minutes from me. I'm in Burlington not to far from the Mall.
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
gokenin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yep, they start the zoo lights on Thanksgiving Day. I was in Hunts this past Friday I think it was. Great place. Thats about 15-20 minutes from me. I'm in Burlington not to far from the Mall.
Yeah was is a pretty good store now i know where it is and I just have to find the calumet store down in cambridge and I will have two decent places to go for camera stuff instead of the ritz store up in the mall near me (live about 15 mins north of you up Rt 3)
Old 11-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
Amy
MamaGrumpy

Looks like I'll lead off with some downtown Pittsburgh shots. In the plaza of the USX Tower (used to be the tallest bldg between NYC and Chicago, don't know if it still is) there's a beautiful creche. Life-size figures, I believe it's identical to one that's at the Vatican. (I took this early this morning, so the light was really weird.)

Then at lunchtime, I went down to PPG Place, where we have an outdoor skating rink. Beautiful day today, 65º, bright sun. (Of course, snow is predicted for tomorrow. )

Inside the PPG Wintergarden (a glass-enclosed atrium) where each year there's a huge gingerbread house display. Here's one part of it:

And a couple of Pittsburgh landmarks done in gingerbread. First we have Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater:

And now a replica of the Duquesne Incline, one of two inclines we have that climb Mt. Washington, which is across the river from downtown.

It was really neat to see how creative the people were with the gingerbread houses. They awarded prizes to the best amateur and professional "builders". Lots of school groups and girl scout troops entered houses. I remember building a gingerbread house with my boys when they were little - what a disaster!!

June 1999 - Port Orleans (now POFQ) June 2001 - POFQ/HRH June 2003 - WL/HRH July 2004 - DL/Calif Adv June 2005 - WL/HRH Dec. 2005 - WL (DS band trip!) June 2007 - WL/HRH Nov./Dec. 2007 - Pop (band trip with both DS's!) Oct 2011 - Pop
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:31 AM   #6
handicap18

Great shots Amy. That atrium looks very cool.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
handicap18

Here's a few recent one's from earlier this week.

DS wanted a pic of our Minnie Mouse tree topper:

Here are 2 of the better portraits of the kids from our first sitting. Last year it took 2 sittings in the living room to get a great one. We may try again tomorrow or the week after we get back. The 1 year old isn't always cooperative:

Old 11-24-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
korzmom
Special DIS Cast Member

those are great pics...handicap- i like the second one, its adorable. and amy nice pics of the gingerbread stuff, i've never gone in there to see that,my dh works at 1mellon center so he gets to see the creche everyday.merry christmas!
korzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
handicap18

Took this last night as youngest DS was standing on his stool trying to get a better look at the tree:

Nikon D50 with Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens. ISO 1600 1/125th f/1.4. Change WB to tungsten and added .5 exposure compensation in PP:
Old 11-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
We-Luv-Disney
"Pork and Bean Smoke! Don't =w=eeze This!"

Quote:
Took this last night as youngest DS was standing on his stool trying to get a better look at the tree:

Nikon D50 with Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens. ISO 1600 1/125th f/1.4. Change WB to tungsten and added .5 exposure compensation in PP:
I love this one! beautiful!

Come see my Walt Disney World galleries www.pbase.com/catson/walt_disney_world_photos
We-Luv-Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
figment52
Oh man, I checked out the website only to discover that I am Older than Peeps!

Quote:
Here's a few recent one's from earlier this week.

DS wanted a pic of our Minnie Mouse tree topper:

Here are 2 of the better portraits of the kids from our first sitting. Last year it took 2 sittings in the living room to get a great one. We may try again tomorrow or the week after we get back. The 1 year old isn't always cooperative:

I think the 2nd one captures the season. There is a look of wonder, magic and happiness in their eyes. Your oldest seems very protective of his younger siblings, even at his young age. You have a beautiful family.
figment52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #12
cajunrose
Earning My Ears

Beautiful pictures!!! I can't wait to get my Christmas stuff up so I can post pictures too!

Stephenie
cajunrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #13
cajunrose
Earning My Ears

Ok, I forgot I have ONE picture so far. You would think that having a huge pro studio with tons of props, I would have one picture of my daughter to show in her pretty Christmas dress...hope..not one..lol

Here you go:

Ok, so I'm dumb...I can't figure out how to put the picture in the post..rofl Off to do some research.

TFL

Stephenie

Last edited by cajunrose; 11-25-2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Getting link right
cajunrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:24 PM   #14
klmall
DIS Veteran

DH refuses to light holiday fires in our fireplace anymore but we found this substitute last year!

~~~~~~~~~Bay Lake Tower, December 2014 !~~~~~~~~~
klmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #15
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

Handicap18, you have a beautiful family! Merry Christmas!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: