Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
irene_dsc
DIS Veteran

We're Back!!! Final day posted! Survival Planning for 1st WDW trip w/2 intense kids!

Now that I'm finally on the Trip Report board, I feel like I ought to clean up my 1st post a tiny bit! When I first started this, I had no idea how people tended to do these, so I just jumped right in (as you can see, below).

Anyhow, if you want to jump right to the trip report, this is the link below:
We're back: http://www.disboards.com/editpost.ph...ostid=22497399
(not sure how to make it as a real link???)

The trip report part is all starting from that part, page 5ish, and is pretty much in order, so I'm not posting links to each section.

If you want to read all of my pre-trip rambling, just start from the beginning. Heck, it's not nearly as long as a lot I've read, and it makes the trip report part make more sense. I think, at least!

(Original beginning below):

Help!!! First time WDW trip with kids who are very opinionated and vary in energy levels from hyper to couch bait. I'm both excited about planning this as well as scared to death! I started this pre-trip to get my thoughts down, but am editing it to (hopefully) make it more interesting as well as get more specific advice, lol.

Ok, so here's my thoughts for our itinerary -

(doing the DDP, park-hopper)

(Us = dd 3.5 years, ds 6 years, dh & me)

Dh has been to WDW once as a kid, Epcot once at about 16. I've been to Epcot once at about 10?

The kids have never been. Dd has only recently discovered the Disney princesses - Cinderella and Ariel are her faves. But, Little Einsteins is her real Disney favorite. I just noticed that H&V has a character meal with them - I may need to do that instead of another, because I think she would be over the moon if she could meet them.

Ds, otoh, would be happy to spend the entire trip on the beach and in the pool. I picked CBR because if is too chilly for the pool, they can still play on the beach. (Yes, I know the big pool is going to close the last day of the trip.) But, I do think he'll enjoy a lot of the other stuff. Especially the Lego place - he is a huge Bionicle fan.

I am getting a little nervous about some of the dining reviews for places - but wanted to also pace ourselves, so not too much running around to different places. I was pretty happy with the itinerary I came up with, but haven't committed to anything yet...

Ok - I called to start making ADR's yesterday, and now I need to switch around a little - updating below:

Arrive Weds, Jan 2 10:40 am

ME to CBR

Lunch at CBR food court
hang out at the resort - esp beach/pool
dinner at CP (ADR made for 7:40 pm - I hope that won't be too late) - get the kids in the spirit
Wishes if we have the energy (probably not, but you never know)

Thurs, Jan 3 -

EMH at MK
break at resort
dinner - 1900 Park Fare (need to make ADR) so dd can meet Cinderella - OOPS - no spots full!
Wishes if we have the energy

Fri, Jan 4 -

sleep in
MGM
hang out at resort
dinner - Cap'n Jacks (Downtown Disney) (having second thoughts now after reading more reviews!)
visit Lego place

Sat, Jan 5 -
Epcot
lunch at Coral Reef (need to make ADR) (also having 2nd thoughts - hoping more TS places get added to the DDP!)
break at resort?
dinner at Epcot CS
Illuminations
INSTEAD - ADR made for early dinner at 1900 Park Fare

Sun, Jan 6 -
sleep in
AK
dinner - order pizza to room?

Jan 7
open - probably MK/Epcot
dinner - Ohana (ADR made - early dinner) - big sendoff dinner - this also has lots of mixed reviews! It sounds like fun, but not sure on the food...

Tues, Jan 8
leave on ME
(Fly out 11:30)

I'm trying to make this not too crazy, with longer days alternating with calmer ones, since I'm guessing MGM will be relatively quick. Of course, I realize my plan may fly out the window when we are there - part of why I only want one ADR per day max to plan around!

SOOO....
Now that my 1900 Park Fare Cinderella dinner has switched days, I'm totally re-thinking my strategy. The original idea was to get the kids into the whole Disney spirit by doing the character dinners at the beginning - plus not risking that they would be passe by the time the meals actually rolled around. Also, figuring I wouldn't be able to keep the kids from going to MK right away. BUT - now I'm reconsidering - maybe it would be better to ramp up to MK, by starting with Epcot, then AK, them MK, then MGM. (I don't want to do MK last because that's an evening EMH day.) But - that suggests I should do a different 1st night dinner - I can't imagine doing dinner at MK the 1st night, then not going back for 2 full days!

So, I'm considering alternate 1st night dinners. Chef Mickey has the pro's of being not at MK, and having characters both kids would like. Con - would need both the bus & monorail to get there, after a big travel day. Akershus has the pro of being at Epcot, but cons of not being favorite characters of either, esp ds, and I'm not really excited about Norwegian food. Shutters has the pro of being at our resort (CBR), but sounds pretty mundane and doesn't get very good reviews.

I also am trying to figure out a good time to schedule babysitters for a dinner out for dh & me...

ETA: Made more ADR's, and completely revised the itinerary! See post 15 (after I write it, lol)

Current PTR for a maybe trip - Don't tell the kids: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2012444
Trip #1: Jan 2-8, 2008 WDW - TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1632004

Last edited by irene_dsc; 02-25-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: redid intro
Old 11-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
lighttech
DIS Veteran

Congrats on jumping right in head first w/ a pre-trip report. I didn't even find them until I was like 100 posts in!!!

How about "Trip in a RocketShip" for a title in honor of Little Einsteins? (Although, I may steal that later as my DS 2.5 just turned my suitcase into a rocketship while I was trying to pack. )

Good luck w/ the ADR's. Seems like you have a good plan so far. Check out allearsnet.com if you haven't already. They have some good tips about getting the tougher reservations.

My First Trip Report - Rocketship Sandwich
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1643402

Missing my Pennsylvania Dreams
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
Avivasmom
DIS Veteran

Looks great to me...we will be at MK that Thursday and MGM that Friday. We are going for my DD 7th birthday.
Offsite (3 times), CBR Dec 2004, POR May 2005, AKL Nov 2005, CSR May 2006,POFQ June 2006,POFQ Nov 2006, BWV July/Aug 2007, BCV Nov 2007, POFQ Jan 2008, June 2008 SSR, AKV Aug 2008, SSR Oct 2008, SSR 2009
Aug 2010 BCV/BWV, Dec 2010 BCV/POFQ SEPT 2011 POFQ

Upcoming:
Hoping either BCV or BWV March 2011
Old 11-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
irene_dsc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighttech View Post
Congrats on jumping right in head first w/ a pre-trip report. I didn't even find them until I was like 100 posts in!!!

How about "Trip in a RocketShip" for a title in honor of Little Einsteins? (Although, I may steal that later as my DS 2.5 just turned my suitcase into a rocketship while I was trying to pack. )

Good luck w/ the ADR's. Seems like you have a good plan so far. Check out allearsnet.com if you haven't already. They have some good tips about getting the tougher reservations.
Lol - I saw one in someone's siggy (which I meant to respond to, but ran out of time.) So, that's how I found this part! It has taken about a week of brainstorming to get to that point, too.

Btw, I told dh about the H&V Little Einsteins meal, and when I mentioned it was just June & Leo, he pointed out that we should probably skip it, since dd will be devastated if she can't meet Annie, since she is by far her fave!

Avivasmom - looks like good times to go! (I hope!)

I think my biggest things now (besides calling for ADR's) are to get us all in shape for walking, and figuring out strategies for making waiting in lines more bearable for my very impatient 6 y/o...

Current PTR for a maybe trip - Don't tell the kids: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2012444
Trip #1: Jan 2-8, 2008 WDW - TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1632004
Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
lighttech
DIS Veteran

I've read that bubbles do wonders for waiting in line! I also just went to the dollar store and picked up a few little trinkets to keep in the travel bag. Anything new is good for at least a few minutes of distraction in line. Even if it is only a dollar.

Also, I picked up some of those glow in the dark necklaces. I've heard a lot of people say they are great for the parades (and keep you from spending $$$$ on them at WDW) and I'm thinking they'll be very entertaining in darker lines too.

Have a blast!

My First Trip Report - Rocketship Sandwich
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1643402

Missing my Pennsylvania Dreams
Old 11-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
irene_dsc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighttech View Post
I've read that bubbles do wonders for waiting in line! I also just went to the dollar store and picked up a few little trinkets to keep in the travel bag. Anything new is good for at least a few minutes of distraction in line. Even if it is only a dollar.

Also, I picked up some of those glow in the dark necklaces. I've heard a lot of people say they are great for the parades (and keep you from spending $$$$ on them at WDW) and I'm thinking they'll be very entertaining in darker lines too.

Have a blast!

Good ideas - I've got a bunch of tiny bottles of bubbles already, tho I don't know how well they would pack for flying (esp with current restrictions). I need to find a place to get the glowie necklaces for sure!

Ds is going to be the hardest, since he is quite impatient. We are pondering getting a Nintendo ds for him for the holidays. Dd is generally better about waiting, in general.

Over the weekend, I started making lists of must-sees & wants for each person and each park, to try and plan out stuff. Fortunately, there aren't a whole lot of musts, and I think I have most of them!

For me, I'll be majorly disappointed if I don't get to:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Space Mountain
Wishes

Dh I think just wants to for sure go on Star Tours.

Dd doesn't know it yet, but meeting Little Einsteins is my MUST SEE for her.

And for ds - the Lego Imagination Center!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

Good job getting your ADRs lined out - that seems to be the most important bit of the whole planning process. It is nice that your DD is getting into the princesses, my older DD has already moved onto the 'tween' stuff such as Hannah Montana and my younger DD likes bugs and animals

I look forward to sharing the excitement as our trips draw near!
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
Old 11-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #8
Mrs. Bee
WDW 1987,1991,1995,2008 Disneyland over 200 times since 2004

subscribing
Old 11-13-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
scrappin
Mouseketeer

If you dd is into princesses - what about visiting the BBBoutique for a princess makeover?? while dh and ds so something more "guy" interesting? Just a thought. I am thinking about it for my dd but she is 11 so I think she might like something else better.

Wish Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1627516
Old 11-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
irene_dsc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappin View Post
If you dd is into princesses - what about visiting the BBBoutique for a princess makeover?? while dh and ds so something more "guy" interesting? Just a thought. I am thinking about it for my dd but she is 11 so I think she might like something else better.
I've considered it, but not so sure on that one. Fwiw, she hates when I do much of anything with her hair, but her pre-school/daycare teacher does all sorts of stuff with her hair (ponytails, braids, mainly). I'm sooo not a girly-girl - I'm not sure I want to encourage it too much!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #11
its jus tme
Earning My Ears

Where is the Lego Imagination Center??
Old 11-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
irene_dsc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by its jus tme View Post
Where is the Lego Imagination Center??
It's somewhere in Downtown Disney, I believe. I hear it has a lot of Legos outside for kids to play with - and of course, a fully stocked store behind it.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #13
Anne's Family
Life is good... Really.

You've GOT to go to the Lego store. There is an entire wall of buckets that contain small pieces you can't usually buy individually. There are two different size containers you can fill and by. You put in anything you want as long as you can close it. I think the large ones were $14.99 earlier this year. They also have a "mini-fig bar" where you can custom build three at a time and buy them as a set. Everything else in the store is pretty much the same stuff you can buy at home, but the models they have built around the store and outside are great photo ops!

The Lego wall.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
irene_dsc
DIS Veteran

Hmm...that looks a lot like the Lego stores in a couple of the malls around here (tho not ones I get to very often.) I love those places - but not sure I need to devote part of the trip to that since I can do it here.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #15
irene_dsc
DIS Veteran

Ok - new itinerary!!! All ADR's have been made for this version...

Arrival Day - Weds, Jan 2
still hang out at resort in afternoon, food court lunch, etc.
Dinner - Garden Grill at Epcot with Mickey, Pluto, Chip and/or Dale
(compromise since no early ressies available for Chef Mickey's - this gets us Mickey at least, and previews Epcot, instead of teasing the kids with a taste of MK)

Thurs, Jan 3:
Epcot!
Dinner - Marrakesh with bellydancers and yummy roast lamb (I hope!)
Illuminations if we have the energy

Fri, Jan 4:
sleep in!
Animal Kingdom
early dinner at Boma

Sat, Jan 5:
Magic Kingdom at last! (I hope the kids don't burst from the anticipation!)
hopefully, break at the resort mid-day
dinner - 1900 Park Fare with Cinderella, the Prince and evil step-family
Wishes (if we have the energy!)

Sun, Jan 6:
sleep in
MGM (unless over-ride to go back to MK)
open evening - Considering getting pizza for everyone early, then leaving the kids with a babysitter to have some grown-up park time, including some sort of fabulous dessert.

Mon, Jan 7:
Open day - probably MK or Epcot (or MGM if it gets skipped)
Dinner - 'Ohana - the big send-off!
pack up and go to sleep early

Tues, Jan 8:
leave...hoping for good weather for travelling!

Phew!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: