Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #46
WeLuvDCL
First to cruise Kingdom to Kingdom on the Magic and Wonder!

Just got home from the Wonder

We just arrived home from the Wonder 11/1 cruise. First night was rough at sea and we missed dinner BUT the next day was well worth it as we got to see the Magic in port at Nassau! It was really great to see both ships side-by-side and to see how excited the crew was to see each other again. I did feel bad for the Magic cruisers though, since they missed the beautiful Castaway Cay. We took about 30 different photos so I just picked my favorites to share.

DCL 5NT Wonder Aug 2010 ~ DCL 15NT Wonder Panama Canal Jan 2011 ~ DCL 4NT Dream Nov 2011 ~ DCL 4NT Dream Oct 2012 ~ DCL 4NT Dream Nov 2013

WeLuvDCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #47
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Ya know... the two ship together is a celebration only DCL fans could appreciate!!!

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2007, 12:38 PM   #48
PaDisneyCouple
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
Ya know... the two ship together is a celebration only DCL fans could appreciate!!!
True. DW turned to me Friday at Quiet Cove (looking towards the Wonder) and said, "do you suppose RCCL cruisers get so excited about seeing another RCCL ship?" "I don't think so," was my response.

Sean
10/10 BC Club Level 10-11/11 Dream 4-night & CR 3-night 10/12 Dream 4-night 10/13 Fantasy 7-night Eastern
10/14 Fantasy 7-night Eastern

PaDisneyCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #49
missyoh8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMPSKIES View Post
Last time the Magic and Wonder were seen together was the Thanksgiving Western Cc stop in 2005......and previous was 2000......One of 3 pics since 2000.........AWSOME!

I have one more double sighting for you to add to the list.

We were on a cruise in 9/2004 (hurricane Jeanne) and both ships were at Port Everglades together. We were waving across the dock as we left port and we watched the sun go down over the other ship!

I think it was on a Tuesday evening (we were supposed to board Saturday in Canaveral.)

Wonder 4day 10/2003 , Magic Western (Cruisin' with hurricane Jeanne )9/2004,
Magic Eastern (Whoops I mean Western ) 9/2005, Magic Eastern 10/28/2006
Magic Eastern 01/19/2008 , Magic Eastern 6/20/2009
Dream Double Dip 7/2011 Fantasy Western 7/2013
missyoh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #50
weathernlu
Drew Brees for president!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We were on the 10/27-11/3 Magic which was the ONLY cruise out of all of them that didn't make it to Castaway Cay at all. At first I was irate, then I cooled down realizing that they were doing what they thought was best at the time and going through what I have been through with hurricanes I appreciate the sentiment. The kids were terribly upset though because they LOVE CC but it just wasn't meant to be this time.

Of course I got lied to on the ship. One CM told me that the seas were to high to go there and the seas that morning (Friday morning) were actually about the calmest they were the entire trip. Then another one at guest services told me that the island was trashed and that it would take days to clean. The third CM told me that the channel that the ship goes through was filled with sand and it would have to be dredged. Obviously they were all just saying these things so that people wouldn't be mad as the Wonder had no problems getting there less than 24 hours later.

Of all places, we go to Nassau. PUKE! I like others on the cruise took the seven day to AVOID NASSAU! We made the best of it by soaking in the double Disney ship activities going on. The CM's were really excited and told us that it had been six years. Based on some the other reports, I think I might have been lied to four times! Regardless, you could tell it was special and we went up to deck 10 when we were pulling away. Everyone on both ships were waving and the deuling "BA DA DA DA BA DA DA DA"'s (that is my sad attempt at the "WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR" horn blows.) It was pretty neat, and something that doesn't obviously happen everyday.

I had no idea they were selling pics in Shutters, anyone know how to get one? I got about 100 pictures that day, but I would love the official one!
Last trip: 11/2012 Week after Thanksgiving at SSR (trip #15)
Next trip: Late 2015 (trip #16)

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lix
New Orleans National Weather Service Office -- Call me if you need the forecast!

I bleed black and gold!
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS -- SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPS!
weathernlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:12 AM   #51
Lynderella
DIS Veteran

We were also on the doomed Magic trip. It was a little sad and frustrating not to get to CC, but we knew Disney wanted us there as well and there had to be valid reasons for not going. What was hard for me to let go was how the staff went on and on and on and on and on about how special it was for the ships to be together and how fortunate we were to see them together. Yes, it was cool, yes, I was on deck 10 taking pictures, but the 15 minutes of excitement doesn't compare to a DAY at CC. And to be constantly reminded seemed like rubbing salt in the wound.

What did make it special to me was watching the crew members walking around and seeing someone they knew from the other ship. They would get so excited and hug. Still doesn't make up for a relaxing day at the beach with my Konk Kooler.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #52
heiressly
Earning My Ears

more pics!

these two pictures are from deck 10 forward on the magic, watching the wonder pull into port

Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #53
howleyfamily
howleyfamily

nassau

We were on the Magic on 7 night rollercoaster ride through Noel...very dissapointed in not getting to Castaway Cay and felt that we were shortchanged by DCL...the whole trip was a long exhausting trip through rough seas..It was our first cruise ever and we really dont know if we would do it again...I know that they cant control the weather but they werent giving correct info out either...we made the best of it that we could...but are sure that some of the last nights roughness was caused by them rushing back to Florida for their quick turnaround for next cruise...the last night they cruised at the highest speed that we observed and through very rough seas which combined for a rollercoaster ride onboard...I dont believe anyone slept that last night.
howleyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #54
Coach Rick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by howleyfamily View Post
...the last night they cruised at the highest speed that we observed and through very rough seas which combined for a rollercoaster ride onboard...I dont believe anyone slept that last night.
Not to make excuses, but they are on a tight schedule, as are all cruise ships. Heading north the ship is in a current called the "Gulf Stream" that is extremely swift below surface current that runs south to north, and the ship is able to make time pretty easily. As you probably noticed they were in port at 7 AM which is on time. DCL I am sure sees the people sailing the next cruise just as important as the current cruisers. What if you would have been sailing that next cruise, and planned for months around getting to port at a certain time to start boarding, and were suddenly told, too bad, you gotta wait for the ship to arrive. I am sure you would not have been happy either. Also, slowing the ship down does not lower the waves. I am sure it was very un-nerving and I am concerned about that very thing when we next sail in August, prime hurricane season, but that is a chance you take. Talk to some of the people that were on the repo cruise heading to Europe. They had 6 days of seas like you experienced.

Coach Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #55
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyoh8 View Post
I have one more double sighting for you to add to the list.

We were on a cruise in 9/2004 (hurricane Jeanne) and both ships were at Port Everglades together. We were waving across the dock as we left port and we watched the sun go down over the other ship!

I think it was on a Tuesday evening (we were supposed to board Saturday in Canaveral.)
Yep...the actual date we sailed was 9/27/04.....we were on that sailing too!! I just checked my pics from that cruise. I have a pic of the Wonder taken from the Magic but it is too dark to post....but it was cool to see them both in port.

What chaos those few days before!!! We rode Jeanne out at the Poly when we heard that Port Canaveral was shut down (we were actually on our way to the Radisson at PC for that Friday night...we heard about PC evacuating just as we were passing WDW on I4 from Clearwater....So...I said to my hubby...if Iam going to ride out a hurricane I want to do it at WDW...so we pulled in and were able to snag a room at the Poly after waiting on line for 2 hours!!!). Then on Monday or Tuesday (I think Monday) our DCL bus broke down on the way to PE and we had to wait over an hour in the hot sun until a new bus arrived.....glad when we finally were able to board!!!
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #56
pjpoohbear
Back in DVC point Debt!
Sofa surfed the PC and now the TA on DCL
And … Sofa surfing the world on DCL with my DIS friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillpie View Post
That is so cool. So I wonder if the two captains will get together for lunch.
The captain from the wonder did come over for lunch, I was told
he had his wife with him.
1976 off-site camping, & 24 years later '00 CBR, '01 CBR, '01 Xmas ASMus, '02 DCL Wonder & POR, 2004 DCL Eastern & PopC, DVC SSR '04-'54(10/04@SSR, 04/05@OKW - F&GF, 10/05@OKW F&WF-Solo, 12/06 WLV Solo, 10/07 SSR, 12/07 AKV solo), 12/06 CC Double Dip~Magic (A lovely bunch of DISer's), 10/07~DCL Magic, the sister ships meet at Nassau, 05/08 DCL Panama Canal Repo-WB & DLR GC, B-Day F&WF Solo Sept '08, DCL Wonder 4 day and SSR 02/09, BB 3 day Wonder fall'09, DCL WBTA Repo '10, Dream Hallo'cruise 10/11

Last edited by pjpoohbear; 11-07-2007 at 10:21 AM.
pjpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #57
UK-Simon
Wow! I'd love to see the Tennis Racket for that ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathernlu View Post

Of course I got lied to on the ship. One CM told me that the seas were to high to go there and the seas that morning (Friday morning) were actually about the calmest they were the entire trip. Then another one at guest services told me that the island was trashed and that it would take days to clean. The third CM told me that the channel that the ship goes through was filled with sand and it would have to be dredged. Obviously they were all just saying these things so that people wouldn't be mad as the Wonder had no problems getting there less than 24 hours later.
I too like you was on the Magic, and was also pretty bummed about not making CC. However, I am really sad for you that you were lied to. I have a friend who is an officer on board and he told me what appears to be the truth. That is that basically there is a very narrow area of sea in which they have to dock the ship, and sometimes the swirls from the sea can make it impossible to get in. It's that simple. He told me a time when he was onboard and the Magic was at CC, but couldn't get in, so they departed and tried again the next day. With a little research it looks as though he wasn't lying... http://www.tiggertravels.com/photo.g...ils&record=108

So I would put down the lies to lack of knowledge because the truth was hardly an unreasonable thing to take. I also have it on good authority they even made up a personal navigator that involved 1/2 a day at sea and the afternoon at CC, but it was in the end apparently just impossible all day. Too bad huh?!!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #58
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Yep...the actual date we sailed was 9/27/04.....we were on that sailing too!! I just checked my pics from that cruise. I have a pic of the Wonder taken from the Magic but it is too dark to post....but it was cool to see them both in port.

What chaos those few days before!!! We rode Jeanne out at the Poly when we heard that Port Canaveral was shut down (we were actually on our way to the Radisson at PC for that Friday night...we heard about PC evacuating just as we were passing WDW on I4 from Clearwater....So...I said to my hubby...if Iam going to ride out a hurricane I want to do it at WDW...so we pulled in and were able to snag a room at the Poly after waiting on line for 2 hours!!!). Then on Monday or Tuesday (I think Monday) our DCL bus broke down on the way to PE and we had to wait over an hour in the hot sun until a new bus arrived.....glad when we finally were able to board!!!
I was going to post about that time as well! We unfortuneately did not get photos like I had hoped, things got a little hectic whe we boarded. That was a wild and crazy time, especially for the folks in Florida and some heated "discussions" here on the boards. But along with several other awesome things that happened to us during that trip, seeing the two ships together was a huge treat. I remember eating dinner in Parrot Cay on the Magic and seeing the Wonder outside the window.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #59
Kim&Chris
dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at Serenity Bay....

Just wanted to thank all of you for posting these beautiful photos of "our ships". Getting a little verklempt seeing how beautiful they look side by side.
Kim&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #60
krdisneybound

After 5000 posts, the tag fairy found me!
Patience is a virtue

What a wonderful thread.

AWESOME - Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread

MAGIC DOES HAPPEN

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: