Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
goNsoon2WDW
DIS Veteran

Coral Reef

I am looking for thoughts about Coral Reef. My BIL & his family went there and indicated that it really wasn't very good at all and the service was sub-par.

They overcooked his steak and messed up his DD's meal, the waiter disappeared, and that when they finally got their food corrected everyone else was done and had to wait for them to eat. He said the food wasn't very flavorful and they would definitely skip it next trip.

He said that he had read somewhere that it was going down hill, but still wanted to try it for the atmosphere. He recommends that we eat at Via Napoli instead.

Anyone else have experiences that they can share?
TIA
Old 06-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
MartinaC
Mouseketeer

coral reef

I don't think I will be much help. But, we have had both a horrible experience and a wonderful experience there. We eat there every time we go to WDW and hope for another great experience. If you have never been, it's great to see the fish while your eating.
MartinaC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

Coral Reef is one of our "never again" restaurants. We've tried several times, and it just isn't for us. We've had terrible service and downright rude waitstaff. The last time we were there the server tried to talk me out of ordering a dish because it "smells funny". We've also had to wait an extreme amount of time to settle the check. We felt this was in retaliation for not ordering all our food at once (we preferred to order dessert after we enjoy our entrees). Lastly, it's so very loud in there that there's no way for us to relax. We understand that it's WDW and there will be noise, but the noise level in the CR is just silly.
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Phil'sFrontier
DIS Veteran

We liked that meal. I had some sort of fish. I wished we could sit closer to the aqaurium though.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
stcav2000
Mouseketeer

Unfortunatly, I agree with him. We were just there 2 weeks ago and previous to that it had been 5 years. I saw the reviews on here and remebered the food was not stand out good, but it was acceptable and we liked the atmosphere. I thought the reviews were mainly people just being picky or expecting too much from theme park food. I was wrong. It was terrible. Here is a copy of another post I made regarding it:

Coral Reef. My son picked this out for his birthday lunch and not only was it the worst meal of the trip, I think it was probably the worst meal of my life. The appetizers were each bad in their own way. Lobster bisque tasted like plastic had melted in it, shrimp were cold, tough and chewy, crab was cold and bland. The soft drinks were ok, but my pina colva arrived in layers. The bottom was a pool of raspberry syrup, the middle was the tasteless pina colada mix and the top was rum. I ordered several of these throughout the trip and the rest were all prepared correctly and were delicious. When I said something to the waiter about it, he told me thats how they are supoosed to be and he was sorry I didn't like it and walked off. The entrees were all horrible. The lobster ravioli and mahi mahi were inedible. I actually gagged when I tried it. I wasn't brave enough to try the Mahi Mahi but I took the boys word that it was terrible. My middle son will eat anything and he hated this. I also noticed the tables around us that had ordered it were not eating it. DH's steak was probably the best of the meal and it was cold, fatty and bland. We figured desserts would be good. No such luck. The wave was over cooked with a burnt top and dry. My son said the cheesecake tasted like mold and my daughters sundae arrived melted. We left hungry and went straight to world showcase for some good snacks.

stcav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Belle83
DIS Veteran

Never been, but talked to people in line about it recently (while waiting for Soarin') and they thought it was pretty mediocre.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #7
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

I've only been once, and I'm not anxious to go back. It wasn't terrible. The food was edible, but not outstanding. I think I got a steak and my husband got the catch of the day. I thought our waitress was good. We were on the dining plan and she explained the entitlements really well. While the aquarium was fun, we were seated pretty far away from it, so it wasn't as much fun as it could have been.

Overall, I probably won't go back until I have kids old enough to enjoy watching the fish while they eat. There are far too many interesting places to eat in Epcot to return to Coral Reef.

Actually, it's more likely that I'll get Scuba Certified and set it up so my husband and kids are eating there while I'm in the tank. (If I could even get over there...)
POFQ Apr 13-20 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
anorman
DIS Veteran

We ate there last year. I had no problem at all with the service. The atmosphere was beautiful and we didn't notice any extreme amount of noise. Loved the fish tank! BUT, and this is a big but, the food was horrible! I expected good seafood from a restaurant that specializes in seafood so I stuck with that but it was not fit to eat and I will not likely ever return there because of it. It's too bad really since it is a beautiful restaurant with a unique atmosphere. If they could improve what they serve, I think they would be as hard to get into as, say, Le Cellier.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I like seafood but have never heard of anyone having a good experience at Coral Reef. I would still try it for yourself because dining is subjective but if you are interested in seafood I would recommend Fulton's at DTD personally. It is the best seafood I've had on property.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
pluto#1
Earning My Ears

Our first visit was in May. The service was great! Our server was very good at refilling drinks etc and checked up on us too. Food was good too! we ordered the app for 2 only the lobster bisque that we found to be a bit too salty. I ordered the grilled mahi mahi which my wife, daughter (18months at the time) and I all enjoyed. My wife ordered the catch of the day which was also good but I prefered my mahi mahi. I think our ADR's that night were at 7pm and the place was still packed.
pluto#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
DisneyEater
Mouseketeer

I have been there a few times. Service is usually a little slow, but food has generally been good, and you can't beat the view.

My daughter did get the steak once and neither she or I were a fan. I usually stick with the fish.
DisneyEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
angierae
DIS Veteran

The food was fine, but the service was ridiculously slow. We were done eating for an HOUR before the waiter could get all of our KTTW cards charged (six people in three rooms, not all that complicated) and the service DURING the meal was impossibly slow, as well. This was after we'd had a manager come out to talk to us because we were so frustrated at how long it was taking.

I won't eat there again.

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #13
rznhal
DIS Veteran

We liked Coral Reef! It was one of my DD's (3yo at the time) best memories! The tank is amazing. They give you a coloring book with all the fish in the tank in it....the food was good, we both had steak, DD had pizza i believe....good service.....we are going back this year!!!

also, if you are on the DDP, it was one of the only places we went that offered a frozen drink as part of the plan instead of the standard sodas and teas!!!

If you had kids, i highly recommend!!!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
NOLAdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Last November Coral Reef was our absolute fave TS meal... the food was EXCELLENT, the server was so sweet (nicest of the trip), and you can't beat the atmosphere.. We were in the middle tier where we could see the tank perfectly. The food: my DH and DS both got the steak, DS said it was perfectly cooked, and the horseradish mash was the best he'd ever had. I had the roasted pork with root veggies and polenta cake, and I've been thinking of it ever since..
This place gets bad reviews. BUT we loved it and are going back in Dec! We liked it more than Chefs de France AND Ohana! Hope this helps!
November 2008 - Caribbean Beach
November 2010 - Caribbean Beach
November 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
Halloween 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2014 - First Deluxe Stay - Beach Club!
NOLAdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
Rekenna
DIS Veteran

We too, CR, we go there every trip. The only negative we have encountered is service that is a little slow. We typically go during early lunch time and it works really well for us. Also, for us the round tables/booths are nice b/c we can keep all 3 boys together and they are so busy watching the fish in the tank it keeps them from picking at each other.

On our last trip DH, DS12 and I all had the steak-it was very good. DS5 had the chicken nuggets and DS3 had the grilled chicken and mashed potatoes (one of the best kids meals on property-at least for him). The little boys also really liked the "do-it-yourself" sundaes and the rest of us had the Chocolate Wave which is really yummy.

My fave pic of DS3 on our last trip was at CR. DS3 has autism, so this was a really lucky/great pic of him b/c he looked right at the camera!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: