Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #46
MousekaMaddi
DIS Veteran

fabulous!!!!!!! what a wonderful Mother you are looking forward to seeng pix of your happy princess!
Thanx for sharing your story
MousekaMaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 AM   #47
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

sounds like you had a wonderful time.

As far as I know, none of the DVC resorts have bell service transportation for wheelchairs. The only transport is the bus (which the internal buses do go all over).
OKW and SSR are problems since they are large and separate buildings.

AKL, BCV, BWV and WLV are not a problem since they are a either part of or a separate building close to the hotel of the same name.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #48
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

Sounds like it was a great time. I'm glad your daughter did so well. Karen
Old 02-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #49
P&L@WDW
Mouseketeer

It sounds like you had a fantastic time! I'm glad it went smoothly (with a few exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
After getting my wrist band for the evenings activities, I said thank you, and the cm said "No problem. Anything for Alice in Wonderland."
Just a note on this...Alice also wears a blue jumper/dress, blue bow and apron...yes, she's a blonde, and her hair isn't in a pony tail, but it could be an honest mistake!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:48 AM   #50
pampam
DIS Veteran

Just an update. DD is doing great!! She hasn't had a collapse in well over a year. I don't know just what we are doing that is working, but we changed a few things, and we are more than thrilled. We keep a close eye on her blood pressure. 60/40 is quite common. When it gets that low we take it really easy. She has a drink of juice before she gets up, in case she is dehydrated or low blood sugar. She has phlebotomies every 6 months or so, and we took her off her digoxen, because that can cause irregular heartbeats.

I can't thank you all enough for all the support and good wishes!! Do I dare consider another trip? Yes. My DD loves to plan things, especially Disney trips. When we left, I was feeling very meloncholly, thinking I would never see this place again. I remember taxiing down the runway, thinking I will never see a palm tree again etc. Now, I'm truly considering bringing her back to her happy place. Once again, I thank everyone so much.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #51
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for the update and glad to hear she's doing well.
Sometimes, you don't know exactly what you are doing that is working, but since it is, it's best to keep it up.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #52
BETTYDISNEY
Mouseketeer

You are a Wonderful Person!

PamPam:

I have just been reading your story and it is truly wonderful. 1.) because your daughter got to go to her happy place and 2.) because you got to make more memories that you will truly treasure. Keep striving and dont give up that is all any of us who has illness affecting their lives can do.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #53
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

If you can manage to do another trip, I say go for it, make her time here as enjoyable as possible, from what I have been reading she seems to really enjoy it. In my opinion, it could also be helpful to her medical conditions, as when my parents worked in the hospital, they often saw that the happier the patient was, the better their conditions became, so who knows, it may even be helpful to her.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #54
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

Go and enjoy. Karen
Old 06-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #55
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Thank you for the update - just thrilled to read your good news!
Old 06-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #56
hematite153
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

pampam, I'm thrilled to hear that things are going well enough that you're considering another trip. I find disney trip planning almost as exciting as actually being on the trip, so, it sounds like you have lots of fun ahead of you.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #57
pampam
DIS Veteran

update

Here goes. DD is doing great. We have another trip planned for Jan. 31 to Feb. 22. A week at ASMo, a week at ASMu, and another week at Pop. And boy, is she excited!! It's her happy place. She wants to plan all her meals, where she will sit in the plane, and so many things I have no idea about.

Anyway, a lady I hardly know is making a surprise cinderella dress for DD. When she told me about it I was just thrilled. She had made princess dresses for her 2 granddaughters, and said she will make one for DD. Just out of the blue. I never even asked her to or mentioned it to her. Of course I haven't told DD about it. She will be happy beyond words. I had told this lady's daughter, a friend of mine, about DD wanting a cinderella dress, and that I couldn't get one in her size. DD is tiny, and a childs size 12-14 will fit her, except for the bust. I don't sew too much, but I made her a Belle dress. I bought a blue dress at a second hand store. It was huge (size 24). took off the sleeves and lace, ending up with a blue plain sleeveless dress. Cut the neckline square, turning it into a jumper. Took it in as best I could, put a crinoline under it, a white blouse under it, a white apron on top and tied DD's hair back with a blue bow. Voila! a Belle peasant dress. She was happy with it, and wore it, but it still wan't a princess dress. She really wanted a Cinderella dress. All the princess dresses fit, except at the bust line. Mom to the rescue again. On our last trip, I bought a Snow White dress, took it back to our room and cut it from the waist to the neckline up the back. I had limited sewing supplies, so I edged the cut with duct tape so it wouldn't ravel. I sewed the cape down over the cut back. The cut opened up easing the dress in front, so it now fit, and the cape hid the repair work I had just done. DD was very pleased, but her heart still wanted a Cinderella dress. Snow White was the only dress with a cape, so it was the only one that could be modified. Now, this lady phoned today to tell me that the muslin dress is made. DD can try it on before she cuts into the blue brocade. I am soooo pleased. When she phoned, she identified herself. It wasn't untill then that I found out her name. So, we have to get together for DD to try on the muslin dress. I don't know what story I can give DD, so she doesn't suspect anything. This lady goes to the same meetings I go to , but a different congregation, so we see each other a few times a year, but I gotta tell you, I am just on What a special gift for DD!! DD is pretty quick to clue into things, so we are going to have a difficult time keeping this a surprise. Any ideas?

I tell you, I'm on an emotional roller coaster. DD hasn't collapsed. So many things seem to be going well, health wise. And now this phone call.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #58
livndisney
DIS Veteran

I hope you and your daughter have a wonderful trip!

Last edited by livndisney; 12-24-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: oops
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #59
mechurchlady
DIS Veteran

So glad to hear an update and you never know where the angels are in life.
Hugs and good luck on your trip.
Merry Christmas
mechurchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #60
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

I'm so happy that you didn't have any problems with your adult daughter wearing costumes into the parks - usually adults are banned from wearing costumes, except to the hard ticket parties. How sweet that she's going to get a custom Cinderella dress!
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: