Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #31
hematite153
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
To begin, my daughter is 36 years old, so make a wish is out. She has down's syndrome, and with it a multitude of health problems, mostly connected to the heart.
Since you are already booked for 3 weeks from now this information is probably too late for you, but, maybe someone else can use it.

I think it's great that you are able to take your DD back to wdw as she wishes. It sounds like a very expensive trip and one that has taken a lot of planning, but, I'm sure you'll all cherish it.

There are actually make-a-wish organizations for adults. The ones below are all in the US, but, I assume there is something available in Canada--I just can't find it quickly.

dreamfoundation.org
fairygodmother.org
herheartswish.org
nevertoolate.org
Old 12-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #32
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forevryoung View Post
I have a 6:30pm (maybe 6:50pm) ADR for Garden Grill at Epcot on Jan 3rd if you want it (it's for 2)

I see that that is your travel day so probably you don't but I figure I'd offer
That's very thoughtful. We won't be arriving till later, but thanks anyway.

My daughter likes hotels, restaurants, and WDW. She is very partial to the princesses and the Dapper Dans. She loves music, and will not hesitate to sing karaoke. She isn't shy, and loves to dance as well, when she has the stamina. She is a member of the town line dance group.

I have booked a Chef Mickey dinner, and Princess breakfast in Norway, and a dinner with Cinderella at 1900 Park Fare. I will tell her about these, so she can look up the menus and plan, which is half the fun. I also have booked a Pirates and Princess Party, which I will surprise her with. She wanted a Belle dress, but because she is the size of a small adult, I couldn't find her one, so I made her a Belle peasant costume. I remade an old blue dress into a sleeveless jumper, with a full skirt. She will wear a white blouse under it, and a white apron over it. She already has a crinoline, and black mary janes, so with her long brown hair tied back with a matching bow, she looks great. This is gonna be good! I made this outfit some time ago, but we had to cancel 2 WDW vacations because of her setbacks, so I am really looking forward to this. Now I am thinking I should make reservations for Liberty Tree or Tony's the night of P&PP. What do you think? What am I forgetting? What else can I do to make this special? I am even allowing myself the liberty of getting excited about this.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2007, 01:17 AM   #33
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

definitely Liberty tree or tony's for the p & P party! You can get in as early as 4 pm on your party ticket, and i'd make the reservation for fairly early, before the party starts! See you there!
Old 12-18-2007, 05:39 AM   #34
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forevryoung View Post
PamPam,

I will be in Disney till January 7th, I am bringing a few small things to decorate our room. If you contact me prior to me leaving for Disney on Jan 2nd, I will be more than happy to pass the stuff to you for your trip. And then maybe you can pass it onto someone checking in once your stay is over.

Let me know if you are interested and best of luck with your plans.
-Forevryoung
Thank you for your kind and generous offer. I didn't want to reply till I was more sure of our plans. Yes, please, I would like to accept your offer. We will be at OKW for 10 nights arriving Jan 3. I'm not sure how this will fit into your plans. Thanks again. pampam
Old 12-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #35
Camster0307
DIS Veteran

pampam - So happy to hear your plans are coming together. You have some great ADRs - your daughter will love it. For the night of the P&P party, you can also try the Crystal Palace - it's a buffet with Pooh & Friends. I've eaten at LTT - it's very good also and they have Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, and Chip & Dale.

Have you looked into a Fantasmic dinner package at MGM? That may be something else your daughter would like. Also, since your daughter is in to the princesses, I would make sure to spend a day or two at World Showcase in Epcot. Throughout the day, you can find many princesses at the various countries: Snow White-Germany; Aurora or Belle & Beast-France; Jasmine-Morocco; Mulan-China; and Alice in Wonderland (I know - not a princess, but very sweet!)-UK.

I hope this helps!
Camster0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #36
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

pampam, your plans sound like they are going well. I am praying that you all have a fantastic time. Karen
Old 12-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #37
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkelley View Post
Good luck with your trip PamPam!! I hope all goes well!! We were in the rooms right next to yours at All-Star Music in May 06 and I was hoping to run into ya'll but never did!!
Yes, things seem to be going ok. I'm just waiting now, and getting excited. I'm pretty much all packed- I've even made my green mickey head for the window. That's likely how you knew you were beside us in 2006. It's kinda funny. No one mentioned the mickey sign, or said hello from the Dis, but when I got home and went online, I read about the huge green mickey, the humungus dis sign in the window, etc. If anyone notices it this trip, please say hello.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #38
MRussell
Mouseketeer

Good luck with your trip PamPam. I hope all goes well with you and you have a wonderful time. I know you'll treasure every moment.

In April my Father-In-Law was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and wasn't given much time. He immediately said he wanted to go back to Disney one last time. We planned it for 2 weeks later and had a wonderful, memorable trip with him. He passed away 1 week after we got home.

We were very fortunate to have been able to experience his dream with him. I wish you the very best. God bless you both.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:07 AM   #39
pampam
DIS Veteran

Some good news

Yesterday, we got the external battery chargers, and 8 more batteries, plus a cart to help haul this. Our respiratory therapist is a gem. She even made a basket out of strapping to fasten some of this to the wheelchair, to help carry this. Today, I will use it and see how it works. I've gotta get used to all the different chargers, cords, and attachments because I only have 1 business day left before we leave, because of the holidays. All together there is 1 portable oxygen concentrator, 2 power packs (battery chargers) 10 batteries, and I believe 9 different cords, plus the cart. Lately I seem to get confused easily, probably because of stress. Also, I thought I would have to rent all of this equipment, but there is no charge for us. The company bought it. We will let them know how it goes, and can use it on any future trips, if any.

Another good note, the oxygen has been set up in WDW through Lincare. They seem to be a very reputable company. Anyway, the cost from them is less than I was thinking it would be. They don't have a 10 lpm concentrator for the room, so they will rent me 2 5 lpm concentrators. Usually it costs $150.00 per concentrator, but they will only charge me $198 for the 2 of them. Also, tanks usually cost $15.00, but I am getting the monthly rate of $31.79. We will start out with 6 cylinders , and they will replace them as we need them. There is a one time delivery and pick up charge of $35.00 so the grand total should be $265.19 I will keep you posted on any problems or rave reviews with Lincare.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #40
Disney1976
DIS Veteran

I can tell you Lincare is a wonderful, caring company! My mother used them for her oxygen needs when she was dying of lung cancer a couple of years back, and I found them to always be courteous, professional, and thoughtful people.

Hopefully that part of your planning will go smoothly.
Disney1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #41
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

sounds like things are going well and you have only a few days left before you leave.
hope you have a great trip and I'm looking forward to hearing how things went. I'd appreciate it if you post an update on this thread. I will make a link to this thread in the disABILITIES FAQs thread after you get back. It would be helpful to have feedback about your trip in the same thread.

PS I noticed you are staying at my home DVC resort -OKW.
There is a boat from the marina at OKW to Downtown Disney that is very nice and is wheelchair accessible. It's a great way to spend some time. Also, if your child likes music, the is a DJ at DD at the waterfront theater some nights. That is reasly nice. The wheelchair ramp is on the left as you face the water.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #42
Camster0307
DIS Veteran

pampam - Don't know if you've left yet, but re: all the extra cords you were talking about having to carry around and how confusing it is to keep track of it all. I've been there - having to carry extra batteries, cords, tubing, circuits for my daughter's vent. What I've found very helpful is to put things in ziploc bags and label them (they make extra, extra large ziplcos now) and then put it all in one carrying case. Maybe that could help keep things a little more organized?

Hope you all have a great trip and please let us know how it all went when you get back!
Camster0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #43
hematite153
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Glad to hear that everything arrived and is ready for use.

Have a magical trip!
Old 12-31-2007, 06:43 AM   #44
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster0307 View Post
pampam - Don't know if you've left yet, but re: all the extra cords you were talking about having to carry around and how confusing it is to keep track of it all. I've been there - having to carry extra batteries, cords, tubing, circuits for my daughter's vent. What I've found very helpful is to put things in ziploc bags and label them (they make extra, extra large ziplcos now) and then put it all in one carrying case. Maybe that could help keep things a little more organized?

Hope you all have a great trip and please let us know how it all went when you get back!
Thanks. Everything is now colour coded, numbered, and in labled plastic ziplock bags, so hopefully this will go well. I'm sure that after I get the hang of it, I won't need all the cues, but to start with, boy, do I need all the reminders I can get!

We leave tomorrow morning, and fly out on Thursday. Thanks all.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:26 AM   #45
pampam
DIS Veteran

We're baaack!

Had a wonderful time, and made lots of memories.

My DD health was great the whole time. I'm not sure if it ws because she was in her happy place, or perhaps it was the low elevation, or something else, but we had a marvelous time. Where do I start?

We had a problem when we first arrived at OKW. They don't have transportation to the rooms for WC's. That was stressful. It was around midnight before we got to the room, and the room was wayyy in the back. Mind you, I got lost every day there it seems. Anyway, the next day we were moved to a room closer to the main area, and it was great after that.

Also, we only had one oxygen concentrator delivered to the room, and we neded 2. I phoned Lyncare, and they delivered another one. After that, it seemed pretty clear sailing.

Some highlights were
(1) the Hoop de Doo
I found myself taking pictures of my DD laughing her butt off, instead of the show.

(2) the character meals
We had dinner with Cinderella and her family (her step sisters were wonderful- right in character) at 1900 Park Fare. We ate at Chef Mickey's- wonderful character interaction. We had dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern just before the P&P Party. It was great too. We had lunch with the princesses in Norway. They gave us the pictures they took with Belle foir free. That was great. By the way, my DD wore her Belle peasant outfit I made her, so that was probably why.

(3) The Pirate and Princess Party
Great. Worth every penny, even though we have annual passes. While at WDW my DD really wanted a princess dress. Although she is tiny, the dresses were too small in the bust. Finally, I had an idea. I bought her a Snow White dress, split it up the back, leaving the neck and waist intact, taped it with duct tape to prevent unravelling, since I was low on sewing supplies, and sewed the cape in place, covering the split. She was sooo happy. She wore it quite a bit. Anyway she wore it to the P&P Party. Since we had this extra Belle peasant dress, I wore it. I gotta tell you, I felt really foolish, but anything to make my DD happy. I even wore her fall in my hair, to give me a pony tail, with of course a big blue bow above it. So these 2 princesses set off for their party. When we got on the bus, our driver pushed the button for the announcement that said for everyone to be on their best behavior- there was a Disney Princess on board. That was soo sweet. After getting my wrist band for the evenings activities, I said thank you, and the cm said "No problem. Anything for Alice in Wonderland." We didn't do much for attractions, just collected treasure, watched the shows, fireworks etc.

We came home on the 24th of Jan, and my DD wants to go back in Feb.

I'll follow with more later.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: