Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #91
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Day two...part what?

We headed back to WL, started to stand in line at Roaring Forks, said screw that, and went to get flatbread at the Territory Lounge. We both had the v. tasty pulled pork and coleslaw, I also had a RedHook. Yup, that got me drowsy enough for a nap. I'm sad that my picture of the ceiling in there didn't turn out, it was quite stunning.

We had a good nap, made some coffee, and made sure to wake up in time to go see the floating electrical light parade.

ooooohhhhhh

aaaaahhhhhh

yawnnnnnnn

I sort of expeted it to be lame. It was nice to experience it on the beach, however, that was enjoyable...except for the family with all the kids who kept yelling at their kids to sit down. Geeze, let the kids play allready, it's their natural state. They're been standing in lines all day, let them enjoy the cool sand and play time. They weren't bothering me when they were playing, they were bothering me when they were sitting next to me and pouting.

We headed back up to the room for a little bit, and we realized that we had a pretty good view of the parade when it's at them contemporary. Didn't watch it, though.

More coffee, and we're off to the Magic Kingdom. As much broohaha is made on the resort board about the boats, I loved them. Honestly, probably my favorite part of the whole trip were the boat rides. So relaxing, so calm...and very regular. I don't know what peoples problems are with them...because we never had an issue...and you have to admit, the water canal was pretty darn cool.

We got to the park around 11pm (joy, right in time to try and dance around the parade). We managed to beat it by walking through the right hand stores and we got to our goal with time to spare...Adventureland!

First off, my favorite, the Jungle Cruise. Alas, the skipper on this go round seemed to be getting tired after the long day, I understand. She wasn't bad, just not at her best. I will say at this point that the Jungle Cruise in WDW is so so much better than the one DL...no underground temples to go through in DL.

We rode magic carpets for the first time...oo ah oh...w/e. I'm glad we did it.

Pirates was next, which is so not as cool as the DL version. No swamp scene, the drops are too small.

We happily skipped the Tiki Room...as I hate the new one.

There's a story there.

I used to be the sort of snob that hated all things Disney. I couldn't imagine that there was possibly any artistic merit in any of it. To me it was just juvenile with no redeeming value.

That was until I saw the Tiki Room under new management.

The horrors of the new version opened up my eyes to just how good everything else at Disney is. It showed me how everything else tows the line so perfectly in order to appeal to both children and adults...and the art and the difficulty is there, one just has to be willing to truly pay attention. Thank goodness the brillant original is still in DL.

Since it was an EMH night, we made our way clockwise around the park. BTMRR (always best at night), Haunted Mansion (love the refurb), Peter Pan (such an interesting difference from DL's...DL 's is a further away version, WDW brings you closer to the action), Philharmagic (first time, loved it), Snow White (terrified me as a kid),

The Carosel

George got to meet his hero

Winnie the Pooh ( I think I like the one at DL better), and Mad Tea Party (DH refuses to ride with me).

I have to say, I really prefer the look of Fantasyland in DL. It's just so much more...fanciful. The insides might be the same, but the outsides are just an amazing visual feast.

We went on to the Speedway (fun, but only if you have 0 wait), Space Ranger Spin (again, I prefer DL because the controls are more movable...DH won by several 10's of thousands), and Space Mountain. Going on space mountain is like returning to the womb for me...truly...after that ride, my mom knew she was pregnant. Once again, though, I'm having to go with the DL Space Mountain. The approach and music track make it on top for me.

We valiently tried to stay until 3am, but at 2:30am we called it in and made our way back to the boat. A beautiful, calm ride back and a quick falling asleep in bed.

We'll be sleeping in tomorrow.
KirklandTutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:24 AM   #92
TKDisneylover
LOVES Sorcerer Mickey! Loves riding Spaceship Earth. Wants you to have a Zip A Dee Doo Dah, Zip A Dee Day....

Okay, now I'm ready for Day 3, !

I feel the same way about the boat's, I love taking them and enjoying the fact that it's a very relaxing ride, not a quick way to get somewhere. But maybe that's because we don't have kids who are in a hurry to get somewhere? Or we're just mellow people (okay, I know I just aged myself a lot on that comment ).

I think it's great that you are commenting on the comparison's of WDW & DL. I've never been to DL, but if I go at least I will know what's the better version of a specific ride. I would love, love, love to see the DL version of Pirates of the Caribbean!

Glad to hear that that your doc made a housecall for you. I can just imagine the agony you must have been in. I remember the first and second night after my foot surgery (the second one), I cried all night long because the pain pills did nothing.

Hope all continues to go well with your recouperation!

POP Century-2008; Animal Kingdom Lodge-2007; Caribbean Beach-2004; Off grounds-2002 (never again); Port Orleans (Dixie Landings)-2001; All-Star Movies-1999; All-Star Sports-1998
TKDisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #93
Prinny27
DIS Veteran

Glad to see you're feeling better, and I'm loving your report! I have to agree about Snow White - that ride always gave me a recurring nightmare when I was little. I still have to talk myself into going on it today!

I also agree about Fantasyland in DL - it's MUCH better than WDW. As is Toontown. I've only been to DL once, and on the whole found WDW to be so much better, but there are just some things at Disneyland that cannot be touched - Fantasyland, Toontown. Thanks for the comparisons!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #94
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDisneylover View Post
I feel the same way about the boat's, I love taking them and enjoying the fact that it's a very relaxing ride, not a quick way to get somewhere. But maybe that's because we don't have kids who are in a hurry to get somewhere? Or we're just mellow people (okay, I know I just aged myself a lot on that comment ).

I think it's great that you are commenting on the comparison's of WDW & DL. I've never been to DL, but if I go at least I will know what's the better version of a specific ride. I would love, love, love to see the DL version of Pirates of the Caribbean!

Glad to hear that that your doc made a housecall for you. I can just imagine the agony you must have been in. I remember the first and second night after my foot surgery (the second one), I cried all night long because the pain pills did nothing.
1-the boats, so true. Worst parent story of the trip. This dad on his cell phone, pushing a stroller is waving the boat down. The captain had already untied one rope, but he decided to be nice and wait. Took the guy forever to get settled, the captain started to unrope and the guy had the nerve to say that his wife was on the way. There wasn't anyone, anywhere on the dock, so she was clearly way way behind. It was a nearly full boat, how selfish was that family? I'm glad the captain said no, after all he had a schedule to keep.

2--as an adult, I love DL a little bit more than WDW. It's small and cozy, and you can get tanked up in Downtown Disney and be on It's a Small World in fifteen minutes....even better, the Jungle Cruise. Suddenly is funnier than normal.

3---I'm so sorry for you, it's truly painful. My doctor rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny27 View Post
Glad to see you're feeling better, and I'm loving your report! I have to agree about Snow White - that ride always gave me a recurring nightmare when I was little. I still have to talk myself into going on it today!

I also agree about Fantasyland in DL - it's MUCH better than WDW. As is Toontown. I've only been to DL once, and on the whole found WDW to be so much better, but there are just some things at Disneyland that cannot be touched - Fantasyland, Toontown. Thanks for the comparisons!
1--Thank you! So odd that as a child I could go on every rolleroaster multiple times, but hell to the no with Snow White

2--I didn't go to Toontown in WDW, I will next time, though.

More to come!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #95
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Day Three....part one

We most definetly slept in. The night before, we ordered the room service breakfast off the door hanger menu. It was pretty good, eggs, sausage, really really tasty potatos. I said no to their coffee, got the milk instead to go with MY coffee. mmmmm, coffee

We caught the bus and got to Hollywood Studios aroung 12:30 or so. We then proceeded to my only negative food experience of the entire trip. Now, I don't normally like ice cream, but I thought 'hey, I could go for a mickey head sandwich right now'. So we went to the ice cream place inside the dinosaur and discovered our sandwiches almost completely melted. We were on our way to one of the stunt shows, the ice cream line was long, we didn't go back to say 'hello, already melted'...instead, I just took it as a sign that I should stay away from ice cream.

We made the 1:20 car stunt show. Honestly, it's not really my thing, DH loves it though. The tricks themselves don't make me go oo, ah, oh...but how everything fits together in order to make a complete though. Don't get me wrong, I have the upmost respect for stunt people (one of my best friends is), I just don't enjoy it on an entertainment level.

I did, however, get a couple of great shots...

After the show, we went to that little bookstore for a snack (my one and only mickey head rice krispy treat) and wandered around the streets of america, which is always fun, just looking at all the details.

George even liked it...hey, is that San Francisco?!?!?!

Next up was the backlot tour....an attraction I am not likely to ever forget , as I got doused with 1000 gallons of water. The guy is like, don't look left, whatever you do! Don't worry, dude, no problem there. However, I'm going to have an issue letting go of the grip bar in order to answear the phone. Who knew 1000 gallons of water would be that bracing? lol DH was on the other boat, apparently he got hit by a wave, I couldn't see it though.

It was a very interesting attraction. I love history in any way, shape, or form as well as I love seeing things like the costume shop. Just fasinating. They were filming something that day, so no Catastrophe Canyon *sad*, maybe next time.

We ate at the studio catering company, which was fine. I had the greek salad, which was fine. The sangria was tasty, though weak. DH really enjoyed his pulled pork sub.

Sitting at the Catering Company, I wanted to look around the Honey I Shrunk The Kids playground, but I couldn't figure out where you got into it, oh well.

We skipped Star Tours (though the que and themeing is so much better there than at DL...darn it, didn't get George on a speeder), and got to Sounds Dangerous. I can see why kids wouldn't enjoy this attraction, however, I found it to be alot of fun. (Which reminds me, I forgot to mention the Jungle Sound booths at Planet Watch...loved it, want to nap there).

From there, we headed to (while wandering through shops) Beauty and the Beast. You know, this is the one show where I felt that the designers phoned it in. Nothing seemed to be that clever in how they told the story. Other shows (Nemo, Aladdin, Snow White, Little Mermaid) take the story and condense it, but use clever ways to make it a viable live stage show that can stand on its own without knowladge of the film. That was not the case with Beauty and the Beast, imo. That show looked engeneered, not imagineered. The dancers were fabulous, though.

....up next....Brown Derby and EMH
Old 03-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #96
galnar
Mouseketeer

Really enjoying this so far. Thanks for posting!
galnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:05 AM   #97
TiggerDad3
Mouseketeer

Really enjoying this, thanks for all your effort!
We are going Sept. 08 for 14 nights.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #98
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by galnar View Post
Really enjoying this so far. Thanks for posting!
Thank you! sounds strange, but this gives me a creative outlet while I'm laid up, so more will come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerDad3 View Post
Really enjoying this, thanks for all your effort!
We are going Sept. 08 for 14 nights.
THank you! Hope you have a great trip, I'm already starting to plan the next one...DH and both our parents in DL. j/k, i'm not scared

Day Three, part deux

Onto the Brown Derby, where once again, group after group being turned away, as well as angry people who couldn't take their ECVs inside. Not sure what that was all about.

DH had the bisque (heavenily) I had the Market Greens salad (good and just what you would expect), I'm dissapointed in myself though, I didn't order the Cobb...next time? lol

For the main course, I had the salmon with recommended wine (the polenta and tapanade to die for) and DH the filet. The filet wasn't done enough, but did that ruin our mood? hell no. We politely asked the waiter (who immedietly said 'oh that's not done enough') and he took it back and brought it back out without an issue. It was tasty.

To me, that is the sign of great service. Mistakes happen, when both humans and a product with a short shelf life (like, say, food) are in the equation, mistakes will happen, it is to be expected. The sign of great service is how the problems are handled. For some people, a mistake is a sign of bad service, not to me, I judge by how it's handled.

anyhoo

Great Grapefruit Cake...wowzer, with le champaigne...the popping of a new bottle seemed to inspire others around us to take a bit o' the bubbly too. Glad to inspire! especially with booze!

So, dinner done and we spent the next 45 min. or so at the Walt Disney exhibit. If you haven't been, go. Unless you have no respect for history, then don't because you'll annoy the rest of your party (I'm looking at you, annoying pre-teens who were with their parents in the exhibit). It's really just fascinating....not one thing to focus on, just the whole thing is ...wow.

We ran out of time to do the animation academy, which I'm sad about, but I'm guessing that there's a similarity to the one at DL.

On to Little Mermaid, and I can't believe how much I liked it. The puppets were stunning, the way they made the inside of the actual theater appear underwater was magical, Ariel was spot on and fabulous. My only complaint, the Part of the World song was so rushed, and that's not Ariel's fault, I blame trying to make the show quick...but they didn't need to, it would be so much more magical if they slowed it down...and believe me, the kids will love it that way. Don't assume the kids need everything to be fast, they'll deal with it.

So, we avoided Playhouse Disney like the plague....

...and made our way to what is, imo, the most annoying ride ever in any Disney park.

I would like it, if not for the live action parts. Just annoying, enough already.

I did enjoy the architecture of the buliding, though.

and here come the lights

On we went to Tower of Terror, which, yes, is better in WDW. It's more three dimensional in the movement of the elevator.

Then on to Rock n Roller Coaster, I hate that we only go on this once every trip, but that line is just so long and we always fail to get fastpasses for it.

So, back to the hotel for a good nights sleep....because tomorrow, Epcot and drinking around the world!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #99
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Day Four...part one

We woke up easily after a great nights sleep. DH went down to Roaring Forks for breakfast and brought back one of the more disgusting meals we had on our trip. I think that I had the kids breakfast plus a fruit cup, he had pancakes and bacon. Yeah, we didn't go back for more the rest of the trip.

Dh got it into his head that he wanted to take the monorail to Epcot...sure, why not, we've got time.

Boat to Contemporary

Monorail to transportation center
2nd Monorail to Epcot

sort of like getting around any major city...right?

He decided that the bus would be just fine after that.

So, Drinking Around the World.

Originally the plan was to hit the Canadian beer cart at 11am, but alas, they don't open until noon. So we skipped to France (we're eating at the UK later).

George!

We went to the patisserie and got the 'eh-ok' cheese plate, with the more than ok baguette, and delish strawberry tart. But, what's this, the booze cart doesn't open until noon? What is with this place? *sigh* after the snack, I watched the movie (thank goodness somewhere in the parks believes in beautiful classical music, it's worth it just for that) and DH walked around snapping photos as he would get ill with the 180 surround film.

Finally the booze cart is open, and I had champaigne to start the day!

On to Morocco!

I love Morocan wine, DH loves mint tea...perfect. We wandered around, looking at the shops and museum pieces.

these always amaze me

how many people actually take the time to explore this area and learn about all there is to see and more

coming up next...Japan
Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #100
Prinny27
DIS Veteran

Loving it! And I agree - the DL version of ToT isn't as great. It's like, you get on the elevator, get to the top, the doors open and you're dropped. Very little anticipation. But I guess that's because they had a limited amount of space to work with. I have to admit, though, that I hate ToT! I just hate that drop and the feeling you get. That's probably why I liked the DL one less - they didn't give me a chance to 'prepare'! LOL LOL LOL
Old 03-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #101
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny27 View Post
Loving it! And I agree - the DL version of ToT isn't as great. It's like, you get on the elevator, get to the top, the doors open and you're dropped. Very little anticipation. But I guess that's because they had a limited amount of space to work with. I have to admit, though, that I hate ToT! I just hate that drop and the feeling you get. That's probably why I liked the DL one less - they didn't give me a chance to 'prepare'! LOL LOL LOL
I think I love the WDW ToT more because of the suspense...when's it coming?!?!?!?!? Love it.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #102
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Japan!

Alas, the fact that Canada's booze cart opened late, meant that our entertainment schedule would be off for the day...so Matzuriza will wait for another day.

So, instead...shopping! love the shopping there, though we're waiting to buy until the last day.

DH was hungry and starting to get a bit woozy, so we stopped at Yakatori House. He got teriyaki, I got plum wine...which I've always wanted, but for some reason just never had. I like it outdoors in the heat...I approve.

I also wished that I could get a pic of these in the evening...

George!

DH's favorite

...onto the USA Pavillion...

George!

Finally! thank god for Disney switching their frying oil, I can finally have a funnel cake...with a seasonal beer by budweiser...which I liked, I'm so surprised. We ate while watching these guys...

...and into The American Experience. We got to listened to the Voices of Liberty, who my dad just LOVES. I would love them more if they didn't break into Disney songs and stuck to the music that their costumes invoke. Just me.

*Notes about the next things coming. I am one of those who fit into the 'dissent is the highest form of patriotisim' camp. I love my country, I am a patriot...but I do not like what has become of it the last several years. This pavillion moves me in such a powerful way. It hits me in the gut and reminds me why my nation is a great nation, despite all the crap, it's a great nation built by great people...and it will be great again, even if I don't feel that it is right now--not just because of politics, but that and so much more. I love my country.*

I love looking around that pavillion, the quotes are all so moving (I must say, I shed tears at them). They capture the spirit of this land and the people that saw the possabilities.

"What after all has maintained the human race on this old globe despite all the calamities of nature and all the tragic failings of mankind, if not faith in new possabilities and courage to advocate them." Jane Adams

"Our way of living together in America is a strong but delicate fabric. It is made up of many threads. It has been woven over many centuries by the patience and sacrifice of countless liberty-loving men and women." Wendall Lewis Willkie

"What kind of man would live where there is no daring? I don't believe in taking foolish chances, but nothing can be accomplished without taking any chance at all." (I can't remember who's quote this is)

"No matter what accomplishments you make, somebody helps you."
Aletha Gibson

"Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps down the roads armed with nothing but their own vision." Ayn Rand

"Bring me men to match my mountains, bring me men to match my plains, with empires in their purpose, and new eras in the brains." Sam Walter Foss

The exhibit on the end of the first floor is so inspriring. Seeing all these inventions by americans that have changed the course of history, they just hit your soul and make you sit up and notice. That exhibit inspires me to go on and do great things. It might not be in me to invent a way to free us from the need of any oil at all, but I can do my best and I can inspire others to achieve their wildest dreams...and I will.

Coming up the stairs and looking back, this site is so stirring, and it makes me v. v. proud.

I know that the show itself doesn't show everything in American history, I know that it washes over the truly horrible things that this country has done...yes, I know. What gets me about this program is the last montage that shows this vast cross section of amazing people...and just knowing how humble a background so many of these people came from, and how hard work and perseverence...and just sheer luck, have launched them into history...it's amazing I get out of that place without being a weeping puddle on the floor.

My only complaint, that song that I used to love "america spread your golden wings" now just reminds me of that horrible John Ashcroft song about the eagle.

anyhoo

when we return to Italy, I promise a much lighter post!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #103
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Day four...part three

Italy....

AND LEMONCIELLO!!!!!! hehe, let's just say that I got the nod and 'it will be a good day' from the cast members at the wine bar.

In Italy, DH started wondering if the really ambitious countries put in rides and movies, and the others just phoned it in. It is a good observation, I don't necessarily want more rides from, say, Italy and Germany, but I would like more to do there ...especially Italy. It's just such a lovely little pavillion, I want to spend more time there. Even if it is to just have more lemonciello.

I do remember hearing at some point that there was supposed to be a gondella ride at first, but don't know what happened to it.

Germany

I have never seen the trains going, are they ever?

Next time we go to WDW, I want to eat at Biergartten, maybe I'll be feeling the German pavillion more then.

Oh yes, and I had a sweet wine...which I got in Sommerset, as I didn't see the actually wine bar until too late. *sigh* so I have no idea what wine it was... other than 'sweet'.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #104
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Day four...part five

China

Now, to me, China was ambitious. So much going on there. In additional to the beautiful architecture, there's movies, a museum, gardens, extensive shopping, and multiple places to eat. See that Italy?!?! that's what I need from you!

We stopped for a snack at the Lotus Blossom Cafe. I had the eggrolls (huge! and tasty) DH had the Mongolian BBQ sandwich, which he said was uber tasty.

This was also about the time the DH started getting way annoyed with me for taking pictures of light fixtures and ceilings.

Again, we found a lot of things while shopping, but will wait until Friday to buy. Here that $5000 Jade boat? I'm coming for you!

George and I got a greentea/plum wine slushie at Joy of Tea. A bit too sweet for me, but I think alot of people will like it.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #105
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Day Four...part six

On to Norway!
...now there's an ambitious country, lol.

Really, a 40 minute wait for Maelstrom? wt... I suppose it is President's Week after all, first hint of the crazy imo

First off, Viking Coffee...nummy.

I always love the Stave Church, one of the truly peaceful places in Epcot, and I'm glad that they change the exhibits, although I would have loved to see the exhibit about the Stave churches again, really fascinating...but Vikings are fun too...although, huh? playing music from Lord of the Rings?

We rode the Maelstrom *aieeeeeee trolls!!!!!!*
I learned that Helly Hanson is a really, really old company.
DH couldn't find the Viking book that in the day in the life of a viking, shows a great cartoon reinactment of the pillaging of a village.
...and George made a friend.

Oh....Mexico, sounds so sweet with the sun setting low...

...and was there actually any booze at all in the margarita? me thinks not, because I'm actually still just buzzed at this point.

Not alot of good pics to be had, unfortunatly, but we did ride the boat ride. I was surprised that it's actually better now. The freakin cartoon overlay makes it better. whatya know.

We wandered around, George was drunker than I was. He was showing all the signs, namely being willing to put on a sombraro.

Finally, we wandered back around to the UK (skipped Canada, running late love) for our 8:00 at Rose and Crown. This place has turned out to be the one that we always go back to, sometimes multiple times. It always just feels like home, even though we're from Seattle. Of course the UK and the pacific northwest do have a similar weather pattern...

DH had the soup and pork loin ( I think he said it was good) along with a black and tan. I had the salad and fish and chips...love their fish and chips. I also had a strongbow as well as the scotch sampler (see, I made up for skipping Canada).

Things then started to get a bit fuzzy

Our waitress was just fabulous, as the night was winding down, so was the crowd inside and we got to talk to her alot...seems that she's a practical joker and her family didn't believe that she was going to work at WDW until the day she left. With our encouragment, of course, we got some good jokes out of her and the rest of the wait staff.

Oh! reminds me...from Disney Studios streetmosphere people
99 casserole dishes walk into a bar and order a drink
Bartender says 'I can't serve you'
the 99 casserole dishes say 'why not?'
Bartender says 'cause you alreadly look baked'

Oh, Disney humor at it's finest. Love it.

anyhoo...we were eating inside, but so many people left to go watch Illuminations, that our waitress asked if we wanted to go watch Illuminations from a table outside. Why yes, thank you we will, didn't even get any debri in our food and drinks.

So we staggered back to the bus, and back to the hotel...I'm assuming I made it that far.

Next up, Day five with Epcot and the Coral Reef, and Animal Kingdom and Yak and Yeti!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: