Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #76
DeterminedOne

I need to go with my gut on this one
You're probably in bed by now

Cute! Looking forward to your report. Good luck with your surgery.

***1999~ALL STAR SPORTS***2001~PORT ORLEANS RESORT(DIXIE LANDINGS)***2002~ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE***2004~GRAND FLORIDIAN***2006~POLYNESIAN***
DeterminedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #77
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Friday, Feb. 15th...Departure Day

DH, myself, and George (the elephant, aka our own travelling gnome) departed Seattle on AlaskaAir's 11:15 fligh on Friday night. My wonderful parents dropped us off after we met up at their home for my dad's b-day dinner (nothing like mom's meatloaf). The one good thing about a red eye flight is that there's such a short wait for security...only 20 minutes! sweet!

George is ready to go!

This was also the first scene of overpacking issues. Because of DHs hypogyclemia, I make sure that we have lots of protein snacks. Somehow he forgets that we have said snacks and instead goes and buys peanuts and the like from the gift store at the airport. I had a hard time not saying things that my mom might have said.

The second overpacking issue would be that on the plane we most definetly did NOT need the coat and scarf. It always seems that I get so cold on planes...not this time, no siree.

Third overpacking issue, I brought too many books. oops.

The flight wasn't that bad, just a bit of turbulance. Flying always hurts the ol' ankle (feels like it's blowing up from the inside out), I don't know if it's because of the air pressure, or if it's because of sitting down for five hours straight...either way, we couldn't land that plane soon enough for me.

Something to take note of for those with back issues: Salonpas-Hot Capsicum patch is an amazing thing. Stick it on the bad area, leave on for eight hours. It helps tremendously when flying or driving for long distances.

One dissapointment for the trip (so far, haha) was that the person in our row who was by the window kept the screen down the entire time. Selfish of me, I know, but the other great thing about a redeye flight is seeing a truly beautiful sunrise. Living in Seattle, we don't get to do that alot. *sigh* oh well.

Anyhoo, off the plane...GET COFFEE WHILE I CAN...and on to magical express! I kept reading about horribly long waits for magical express, and maybe it's because of arriving so early in the morning, but really? no wait at all. Maybe five minutes and there was one other couple in our line. We ended up going to several different hotels because there were so few people waiting in the entire area. We didn't mind, we were dead tired and couldn't get to our room for seven hours anyway.

...but how much do I love the video they play on the bus? Cheesy, yes, but it helps create your story of your adventure to the World...which is cheesy fabulous and if you love Disney, then you must like it. Wonderful touch.

So, 8:30am (or so), we're at Wilderness Lodge checking in, and wow. What a beautiful hotel. I must say, I like the Grand Californian better for myself, by Wilderness Lodge is a close second.

We checked the baggage, I changed my clothing in the ladies room...

DH

hung out with his favorite Disney character

and off we were to EPCOT for breakfast...coming soon.
KirklandTutu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #78
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Epcot!

granted, not the best of my Spaceship Earth pics, but it gets the point across of where we are now.

We headed straight to The Land for some breakfast. DH had something egg based--he liked it. I had a yogurt and fruit bowl--can I actually form an opinion on that other than it was or wasn't spoiled? I mean, it's yogurt and a fruit bowl, it does the job. Btw, I'm determined to try and be sort of healthy this trip. Sort of.

I did stay away from the coffee.

We originally planned to not even do Soarin', but we gave in and got a fastpass as we watched the line grow and grow and grow and grow. We then went to the ever enjoyable Living with The Land boat ride. I've loved that ride since the first time I went on it in the 80s. I was a geeky kid, I loved Epcot from the beginning. However, I don't remember the pumpkins being grown into Mickeys before, is that a new thing?

We then headed up to Circle of Life, another thing that I love...again, I'm a geek. DH fell asleep, though, the redeye was getting to him. Me, I was on a third wind. I will say, however, that this particular pavillion needs a facelift and paint job. It feels old and dated. I would think with the current emphasis (rightfully so) with being green, that this could be transformed into an exciting pavillion using green products and having that be a big part of the focus.

Afterwards we headed to Ellens Energy Adventure!

(sorry, no George in this pavillion)

Speaking of green, do any other attractions use solar power?

Ok, you would think that this would be naptime, but I love this ride...and who doesn't love Ellen AND Bill Nye?!?!?!?! especially Bill Nye. If you ever get a chance, try to catch him on an old Almost Live! it's hysterical, blowing up things for a late night audience.

...and good news! no one tried to leave so we got through the whole ride! It was even almost full, amazing.

We headed back toward the land, were sad for a few moments that Imagination was closed *sigh*, love the ride AND the playground.

Back at Soarin', we hopped into the fastpass line...a bit sad that we couldn't participate in whatever flying game was going on on the other side of the wall...loved the breakaway chains when people try to sit on them...laughed in annoyance at the family who couldn't deal with the fact that a party of two could go in front of their party of six, hello, they're just filling in the gaps, deal with it, it's one of the benefits of being a party of two instead of having four kids.

I love Soarin', I'm glad we did it again...not sure about waiting for two hours, but it is wonderful.

......up next, Canada and Le Cellier!...
Old 02-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #79
DeterminedOne

Nice report. I love the pics. Can't wait to read about your experience in Canada. Thanks for sharing.

***1999~ALL STAR SPORTS***2001~PORT ORLEANS RESORT(DIXIE LANDINGS)***2002~ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE***2004~GRAND FLORIDIAN***2006~POLYNESIAN***
Old 02-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #80
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeterminedOne View Post
Nice report. I love the pics. Can't wait to read about your experience in Canada. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you! and here you go...

We traded shooting pics with a nice family ...so here's our family and travelling gnome

O'Canada! what is up with that final song in that movie anyway *yawn*. I hadn't seen it sine early 90s, so I'm thinking it's different from then? I did enjoy it, I must say. DH tends to get nausous in 360 movies, so he stayed outside and snapped some pics in 'Butchart Gardens'...

after the movie I snapped some of my own. The following isn't that great a photo, but please note the first appearence of a light fixture centered picture....there will be more to come as this sort of subject became my obsession.

So

Le Cellier

le yum

This was the first time (and not the last at all) that we heard people being turned away from table service places. Thank goodness for planning!

Le Cellier was just what I wanted and thought it would be.

For me:

Tomato Stack was delish. I love the flavors of caprese salads, but it's so interesting to have it in a different way.

King Salmon. I don't see this on the menu on the wdwinfo, but I know I had it for lunch. There was such a complex but rewarding layering of flavors. It was surprising, but comfy at the same time. Word of advice, when someone from Vancouver recommends the Salmon to people from Seattle, it must be good...and it was.

The bread I couldn't have as it was made w/ soy.

I didn't go with the recommended wine because it was a St. Michelle Cab...which on a bad day is twenty minutes from us. I love it, but on vacation I want to try something new instead of the beloved home brew. I went with another Cab that the waitress suggested, it was v. good, but you wouldn't know it from first sip. It was one of those that needs to be paired with food for it to be understood and enjoyed.

For him:

I don't remember, but it was beef of some sort and he loved it. Protein!

As far as going again, we would both. There are many more things on the menu that need to be sampled. However, I wouldn't go at the expense of trying other new places. I do want to go again, though.

At Le Cellier we also witnessed the first near customer meltdown in re. to the dining plan...it would not be the last. One of the main reasons that we do not go on the dining plan. Too complicated.

---so, lunch is over, our room at Wilderness Lodge is ready...off we go!
Old 02-27-2008, 06:11 AM   #81
TKDisneylover
LOVES Sorcerer Mickey! Loves riding Spaceship Earth. Wants you to have a Zip A Dee Doo Dah, Zip A Dee Day....

Sounds like your trip has started off very well! You went on the rides DH & I typically love when first arriving at EPCOT (Living with the Land & Ellen's Adv. & now the addition of Soarin' since our most recent trip). Loved your pics, very cool especially the one with the lamp, can't wait to see the rest. Check out my TR in my siggie (shameless plug ), I too had a thing for light fixtures this last trip.

Can't wait to hear how you liked your room at WL.

POP Century-2008; Animal Kingdom Lodge-2007; Caribbean Beach-2004; Off grounds-2002 (never again); Port Orleans (Dixie Landings)-2001; All-Star Movies-1999; All-Star Sports-1998
TKDisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #82
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDisneylover View Post
Check out my TR in my siggie (shameless plug ), I too had a thing for light fixtures this last trip.
I really got into the shadows and way lighting played, especially on ceilings. It makes me want to get a better camera.

So, Wilderness Lodge...

First off, love the GPS on the buses that make the music change in response to where you're going to.

I just love the look and the grounds here, everything is so relaxed and makes you want to kick back and just enjoy.

Our room at WL was a complete surprise. Originally we booked a woods view and a king bed. The only kings they had were the handicapped ones, we said we'll take the queen beds. Boy or boy were we lucky.

I have to think that the woods view rooms on the 6th floor might be the quietest and most private feeling rooms in all of WDW. It was really transporting. I know there were kids next door, but while in the room, they were non existant. Everything was just so quiet and private. Perfect for two adults....except for the queen beds.

We had a great nap (after I unpacked and organized...I'm one of those people), took the much needed shower (much needed), had my coffee from home, and headed down to Artists Point for a 7:30 dinner.

For Appetizers, I had the Mixed Green Salad and DH had the Portobello Soup. The Salad was surprising. I always love the combination of beets, blue cheese, and vinagerette...but this version was so subtle, it's hard to describe, but it was just surprising. The soup was amazing, wow, just wow. You all MUST get it.

I can't remember what DH got for the main course, though I do remember it was excellent. I got the scallops, and again, just so surprising. I mean, who uses corn nectar? delish. Nothing was overwhelming, it was all just such a subtle blend of flavors.

For Dessert I had the berries in muscat wine with a mint foam. More surprises! So refreshing, and just such an interesting mix of flavors. I wanted more!

For all the courses, I went with the recommended wine. I figure with all the master sommaliers WDW employs, the pairings must be good.

I got a chocolate martini to go. I love saying that.

Ok, good things to say. The chef was great. He came out to talk about options with me (the soy thing) and really took his time, not only in re. to the soy but also giving his opinions on the different dishes we were thinking about. He also told us about a new addition to his kitchen, an 18 year old girl who lives near where we are. He was so complimentary of her, talking about her natural talents...that made me respect him. Alas, he didn't know if she would be returning to Seattle in the future.

Our server was v. attentitive, had a lot of knowladge, and was just spunky without being too much. Perfect, in other words. It seemed the the resteraunt was perfectly staffed and everything went like clockwork.

Until that family arrived to sit next to us.

Which is what turned our dinner into a two and a half hour experience.

It's funny, we always complain about the loud kids, the ones that run around...these weren't those kids, no these were kids who had great parents who really saw this fine dining experience as an opportunity to educate their kids. So much so that they had our same waitress explain in depth every part of the meal service. Every part. Not just the food, but also the wine...even though the kids didn't have wine, they still asked her to explain to them why each wine went with each dish. Needless to say, suddenly the pace of the service dropped, and there wasn't extra staff to pick up the pace.

Our server felt bad, even started to bring full glasses of wine for both DH and myself instead of the wine flight tasting one. She was great and really tried to make up for the the sudden slow turn, I really felt bad for her.

We enjoyed our time, but had originally thought that a 7:30 dinner would let us walk out to the beach for the 9:35 boat parade...but alas, was not meant to be.

We did get back to our room (chocolate martini in hand) just in time for the fireworks. We had one of those fabled rooms with a fireworks view. It was just wonderful. There was a break in the trees where you could see all of the high up fireworks between the trees and the Contemporary. Loved it!

Then, we fell into bed.

Tomorrow...Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom EMH.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #83
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Day Two...

We woke up around 6:30am for a nice, hot shower in the stinky Florida water. Had our oatmeal and peanut butter, and headed out to Animal Kingdom.

btw, the entire trip, transportation was easy ...bus, boat, or monorail...didn't ever see any need to rent a car or complain. The only issues were ones that were our own fault.

So, on to AK. We got there in time for the opening ceremony...is that Mickey?!?!?! lol

We were one of the first ones at Everest so we went ahead and rode it then...and wow, love it. Have to say, I was feeling a bit woozy after the backwards corckscrew in the dark. Loved it though, went back for more a day or so later.

Mike went for fastpasses, I went to Primevil Whirl....wheeeeeee I love spinning

there was no wait to get on, but wow, it really took THAT long to get the ride started? interesting.

From there it was to Dinosuar! which imo is a better ride than Indiana Jones at DL. No matter how many times I go on Dinosaur! I still get scared, Indian Jones is old hat after awhile.

On our way to Camp Minnie-Mickey, we stopped at Pizzafari as DH was in desperate need of protein. Yeah, that breakfast, airport worthy at best. Yuk. I'm glad that I just had the fruit.

We made it to the first show of Lion King, it was pretty much empty audience wise.

Here was the scene of my first heartache for the performers. I have a good friend who used to be a solo dancer at a DL show. I've known other dancers of the highest caliber who have worked at WDW. These are all dancers capable of getting jobs at major ballet and/or jazz companies in the U.S. They went to Disney, though because of the pay, steady income, and *gasp* insurance. Who could blame them? But it's such a waste of their talents. Disney has some amazing, AMAZING talented performers, but they are wasting away from doing the same thing day after day without much challenge. The challenge isn't in the art, but in the keeping face up for the guests. Why can't there be both? The people who design the shows do a wonderful job and you see their talent evident, but the performers are just as talented, and it's a shame that it isn't truly shown. The public might think that they see it, but they don't, there is so, so much more there.

I say this after watching the solo dancers (the birds) in the Lion King show. Those two clearly had v. high caliber training, but what were they given to do? big lifts? thats it. I find it to be tragic that artists have to choose stability and insurance over artistic fullfillment.

Ok, off my soapbox now.

So, from Lion King to Pochonntas (I think she really was a cartoon come to life)

and an overhead shot

it was a v. cute show, she was an increadible singer and performer...but again, I keep wondering what else is under the veneer of theme park performance.

I also can't help but wonder what the mythical creatures land would have been like

Later to come...Tusker House, Dawa Bar, animals, and more!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:24 AM   #84
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Day 2, Animal Kingdom....part 2

We headed to Africa to get a Safari fastpass. We then passed the time in the Dawa Bar while waiting for our Tusker House seating time.

George had a drink...

and we watched the drummers and these guys...

sad to say that we missed the third performance group.

Watching the two groups that we did see, I kept wondering if these smaller groups are able to change things up more than their counterparts in the big shows. I would hope so.

In the Tusker House, we got a table in the tiny side room, a great example of just how easy it could be to attempt to at least have a small area for adults only.

I was dissapointed in the buffet. Of course, I went into it not liking the idea of a buffet. I love getting served beautiful dishes, I don't like filling my own plate and just guessing that the flavors will all work together. Buffets just aren't...artistic enough for me. lol, how crazy is that, but I think that thats the way it is.

I did love the ceiling of the main space, however.

--Surgery in the morning, if I write anything in the next two weeks, I apologize, it will be drug induced...when I return, animals, I promise!--
Old 02-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #85
Prinny27
DIS Veteran

Loving your report, and good luck with your surgery!
Old 03-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #86
TKDisneylover
LOVES Sorcerer Mickey! Loves riding Spaceship Earth. Wants you to have a Zip A Dee Doo Dah, Zip A Dee Day....

Loved your two-day installment, the pics were great! Looking forward to hearing about day 3. Good luck with your healing process, hope the surgery went well!

POP Century-2008; Animal Kingdom Lodge-2007; Caribbean Beach-2004; Off grounds-2002 (never again); Port Orleans (Dixie Landings)-2001; All-Star Movies-1999; All-Star Sports-1998
TKDisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #87
DeterminedOne

Hope you're doing well.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #88
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny27 View Post
Loving your report, and good luck with your surgery!
Thank you! twice over

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDisneylover View Post
Loved your two-day installment, the pics were great! Looking forward to hearing about day 3. Good luck with your healing process, hope the surgery went well!
Thank you, and I'm not even done with day two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeterminedOne View Post
Hope you're doing well.
I'm doing pretty well. The first 24 hours were really, really bad. The painkillers weren't doing the trick, so the doctor ended up making a house call at 2am to give me a local in the joint. I got another local the next day at noon, and since then, things have been great. Right now any pain is completley managed with tylenol and ice. So, not bad. I'm actually lucid!
I've got my wheelchair, my knee scooter, and crutches, so I'm good to go. DH has been a trooper taking care of me.

...so....

Day Two part three

Animals!

George's favorite

dig the tunnel, dig dig the tunnel

You know, I wish that they would either just drop the poaching story alltogether, or make it a much bigger thing. Right now its kinda half a***d. It's such a great ride without the extra story line.

more day two to come!
Old 03-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #89
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Day two...part four

Once again, we loved the Pangani Trail. We much enjoyed talking to someone about naked mole rats, as well as the gorillas. Last visit we talked to someone about how the gorillas would throw poo at missbehaving guests. Once again we found ourselves to be in the middle of a poo conversation.

For instance, one of the gorillas is very cunning with this. He'll stock pile his poo behind a bush, load up and hit a post on the bridge, when someone goes to see what it was, they get smacked by the second round. Now that's intelligence. They eventually planted a tree so that he couldn't do that anymore.

My favorite Tree of Life photo

On the way to Asia

Originally we were going to go to Planet Watch, but time was running short and we headed to Finding Nemo: The Musical! oooooo, yeah, and I see why they say to arrive 45 min. ahead. This was one of the few times that I actually thought 'yup, it's a busy weekend'.

I was so impressed by the creativity that went into this production. Just, amazing. The puppets were so surprising (especially that crab, wow). This is one of the few shows that looks like it would be challenging day after day, or at least take more time to get sick of as a performer.

Afterward, we headed to the Jungle Trek (where we actually witnessed an older cast member pitching a hissyfit because he didn't want to be in the tiger section).

George!

The last thing we did was use our fastpass for Kali River Rapids...and, meh, the que was cool. The ride was quite boring. Everyone laughed at us wearing our ponchos...though by the end everyone was jealous.

...and, of course, we manned the water canons at the end.

So back to WL for a nap and shower before we head back to MK.

more to come...

More Day Two to come!
Old 03-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #90
DeterminedOne

Great pics!!! Thanks for feeding the need for another installment. I'm glad to know the pain from your surgery is becoming manageable.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: