Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #31
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

So I'm thinking I should buy one of those collapsable canes for the trip.

My ankle has detiorated to the point that it's in constant pain now, instead of just when I do certain things. Wearing heels helps, but even with that, I have a feeling that walking around the parks so much will probably inflame things quite a bit. Ok, not a feeling, a knowing.

I'll be having a third surgery on my ankle in March. Yet again, three weeks completely off, no weight baring at all.

But hey! I'm sure I'll be uber active on the DisBoards then! *sigh*

I thought our year (16 months) of hell were going to be over at New Years and that this trip would be our reward for getting through it all...but no, just another bit of crap to add on to the mess that was last year.

SO!

Things to add to my packing/shopping list:
A collapsable cane
Ziploc bags for ice
Tall socks to stuff said ice bags into
Ibuprofin
Antioxidents
Heating pad
KirklandTutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #32
TKDisneylover
LOVES Sorcerer Mickey! Loves riding Spaceship Earth. Wants you to have a Zip A Dee Doo Dah, Zip A Dee Day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirklandTutu View Post
So I'm thinking I should buy one of those collapsable canes for the trip.

My ankle has detiorated to the point that it's in constant pain now, instead of just when I do certain things. Wearing heels helps, but even with that, I have a feeling that walking around the parks so much will probably inflame things quite a bit. Ok, not a feeling, a knowing.

I'll be having a third surgery on my ankle in March. Yet again, three weeks completely off, no weight baring at all.
I can totally relate with you on this one, well sort of. Not to the extent of your obvious pain, which I'm still amazed you can wear heels, but hey, whatever works!

Anyway, I've had 2 foot surgeries and was having problems with my ankles before we left (I am overweight and some of my problem stems from that), but I was able to get my podiatrist to give me a steroid injection in my left ankle, which was the worse of the two, which helped tremendously! I also had just gotten a brand new pair of orthotics. These orthotics are the new computerized ones they make by scanning your foot. They have been a total blessing and helped me survive our week in the World. I am still benefitting from them right now and am able to di 30 minutes on my treadmill everyday without ankle pain. Now we did also have some down time in the middle of our trip, rest always helps.

But please don't be offended by what I am about to suggest, but have you considered renting and EVC/Scooter? I was amazed at how many people at WDW use them of [B]all[B] ages, shapes, sizes. And I'm sure you know this already, but then you can go right to the front of the line on rides. Just a suggestion.

POP Century-2008; Animal Kingdom Lodge-2007; Caribbean Beach-2004; Off grounds-2002 (never again); Port Orleans (Dixie Landings)-2001; All-Star Movies-1999; All-Star Sports-1998
TKDisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2008, 02:21 AM   #33
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Oh I'm not offended at all.

My daily life is being on my feet and moving all day, while in pain. So, in a way I'm used to it. It's just getting worse now. Sometimes walking helps, sometimes it doesnt. Unless I'm wearing a completely flat shoe, then it's like death. The thing is, not walking hurts my entire body. If I sit down alot, then EVERYTHING hurts. Even my desk is one of those standing desks. I have orthodics, but my foot can't move as well with them and that leads to other sorts of pain in my knee, hip, and back.

As far as the steriods go, well, I have a couple of different reasons for not wanting to use them. I have such ligament and tendon issues anyway, and the shots can make things worse over the long run. You can also only get so many in the same place, and I'd rather use them for professional reasons than recreational if I have to go that route.

I'll play it by ear. If, after a couple of days, if I just can't walk, then I'll rent something. I'll try to avoid it though.

anyhoo....

GOT MY MAGICAL EXPRESS PACKET TODAY!!! woohoo!
the tags make me happy, being all bright yellow with red mickeys. Yay!
Old 01-11-2008, 05:54 AM   #34
DeterminedOne

I need to go with my gut on this one
You're probably in bed by now

Quote:
Oh I'm not offended at all.

My daily life is being on my feet and moving all day, while in pain. So, in a way I'm used to it. It's just getting worse now. Sometimes walking helps, sometimes it doesnt. Unless I'm wearing a completely flat shoe, then it's like death. The thing is, not walking hurts my entire body. If I sit down alot, then EVERYTHING hurts. Even my desk is one of those standing desks. I have orthodics, but my foot can't move as well with them and that leads to other sorts of pain in my knee, hip, and back.

As far as the steriods go, well, I have a couple of different reasons for not wanting to use them. I have such ligament and tendon issues anyway, and the shots can make things worse over the long run. You can also only get so many in the same place, and I'd rather use them for professional reasons than recreational if I have to go that route.

I'll play it by ear. If, after a couple of days, if I just can't walk, then I'll rent something. I'll try to avoid it though.

anyhoo....

GOT MY MAGICAL EXPRESS PACKET TODAY!!! woohoo!
the tags make me happy, being all bright yellow with red mickeys. Yay!
It's amazing how a package from Disney can brighten any mood.

***1999~ALL STAR SPORTS***2001~PORT ORLEANS RESORT(DIXIE LANDINGS)***2002~ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE***2004~GRAND FLORIDIAN***2006~POLYNESIAN***
DeterminedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #35
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeterminedOne View Post
It's amazing how a package from Disney can brighten any mood.
I Know!

I forgot to mention, after going to the doctor on Tuesday, I promptly went to the Disney Store (well, after I had a melt-down in the car and recovered with a glass of wine and a caprese salad).
They had a couple of fun things in the clearence areas for my little surprises, along with, of course, some Disney Dollars. I don't know why I love those things so much. I mean, it's sort of stupid, I know. But they're fun!
Old 01-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #36
DeterminedOne

I need to go with my gut on this one
You're probably in bed by now

Quote:
I Know!

I forgot to mention, after going to the doctor on Tuesday, I promptly went to the Disney Store (well, after I had a melt-down in the car and recovered with a glass of wine and a caprese salad).
They had a couple of fun things in the clearence areas for my little surprises, along with, of course, some Disney Dollars. I don't know why I love those things so much. I mean, it's sort of stupid, I know. But they're fun!
That's not stupid at all. I do the same thing for my DH for our Disney trips. About a month before our last trip I went to the Disney store and bought each of us a character coffee mug. Every morning when we had coffee it was a nice reminder of the trip to come. I also bought some Mickey head cut outs at the scrapboook store. I numbered them one through ten and each day for ten days I stuck a Mickey cut out in a spot he would never expect like in his car and on his desk at work. The morning of the trip I surprised him with a telephone call from the Mouse himself. My DH is a 45 year old manly man and he loved every bit of it! You should have seen the grin on his face when he got that call from Mickey.

***1999~ALL STAR SPORTS***2001~PORT ORLEANS RESORT(DIXIE LANDINGS)***2002~ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE***2004~GRAND FLORIDIAN***2006~POLYNESIAN***
DeterminedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #37
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Oh! I like that countdown idea.

Lol, his company was going to send him to Florida for the Thursday and Friday before we left Friday night for Orlando. Btw, we're in Washington State. He said no because, well, just NO.

And, oh yes, got THE PACKET today. I'm loving the plastic embossed manilla like folder. Yay!

Though, Planet Hollywood vouchers? Really? oh please.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:15 PM   #38
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

So, we got a bit of a preview of Festival of the Lion King last night. How you might ask? Oh, by going to see Exorcist: The Musical!

Yes, you read that correctly.

It's a parody, of course. In the second act, which was Exorcist 2, Regan sang 'Just can't wait to be Queen'...the Locust Queen! At the end was the Circle of Life send up, complete with improvised puppet costumes. It was really too good to describe, I wish I had photos. Particualry of the woven wicker Elephant hat and the dust mop bird.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #39
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

So, I hit the dollar store yesterday! Such a dangerous, dangerous place. They have great things like Disney folders, stationary sets, coloring books, crayons, and stickers. Of course, lets not forget stuffed animal loofas, ziploc bags, and toothbrushes...all v. v. important for the best trip ever!

For little gifts for my man, I've got
day one: Cars activity book w/ stickers and markers
day two: stuffed animal loofah!
day three: Cars utensil set,because plastic forks and spoons in the room suck.
day four: Disney Villians coloring book with crayons
day five: Pooh folder (got to put all those activity pages somewhere)
Pirates sticker collections
day six: Cars mini racer
day seven: Pooh stationary set with stamps and stamp pad
day eight: *still to come*
day nine: *still to come*

Now I need to dig through the gift wrap boxes to figure out the best way to do this! I refuse to buy new wrapping things, ever, and I don't have to since we save bags, boxes and such...it's just a bit more difficult to go through everything to find just the right thing. That's okay though, I like the challenge!

And I'm thinking that I had too much caffeine today....

Oh! and I got a little red foil valetines tree at the dollar store, the perfect thing to put an envelope of Donald Disney Dollars uner!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #40
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Oh! it's less than a month away!

I couldn't help myself, today I ordered a gift basket. I have to say, talking to Laurie (who I promptly wrote a glowing email back to the florist about) really made my magic start early. She was truly sharing the pixie dust. I suppose she's just doing her job, but there's just something extra when you work with someone who cares and who is happy and you can tell by their voice and enthusiasim that they love what they do. So thank you! for helping me put together the perfect basket (ok, tote) for DH and myself. No sugar baskets for us! nope, cheese, crackers, nuts, and fruit...and wine...and beer...yes!

I'm also almost done with packing the food/toilitries/bathrobe/secret gifts suitcase...and yes, i understand that we've got a month to go. I suppose I just know that we have to plan early to make sure we have enough protein snacks and the like...and last time we went on vacation I had a hard time finding travel sizes of toilitries...not this time! I planned early!

I think we just need to buy instant oatmeal, peanut butter (in the check on luggage, no getting my peanut butter confiscated this time!), mints...and once they're washed, pack the travel mugs and manual drip coffee maker.

Sweet.

Oh! and I wrapped all my tokens of love and fun and have them safely hidden within the folds of our terrycloth bathrobes (something we still have from our honeymoon...sure it takes up alot of room in the suitcase, but they're wonderful to lounge in). I ended up having to buy some tissue paper as I was actually out...but other than that, I reused everything! I think for our last day there, I'll get a card and write a long note about our trip, I think that'll be the perfect way to end.

Hmmm, and I still need to work on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday!
Old 01-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #41
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

how do i delete?

Last edited by KirklandTutu; 01-26-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #42
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

So, the surgery is scheduled for Feb. 28th, less than a week after we get back from WDW. Can we say planning overdrive...oh, about NOW? And how, thank god we don't have kids because that would be one more thing that i'd have to deal with planning for while I'm laid up for a month. This is a hugely busy time of year for my work. March is usually when I am in the midst of getting the June show ready...but oh, not this year, this year I'm doing it all RIGHT NOW. Can we say nightly martinis? It's not just that I'm having to take off of work and make sure that there's help around the house...oh no, it's much more than that, oh so much more.

But, I need a brain break...so...on to
Thursday, Day Six!

Woohoo! something fun to plan!

I know that EMH lends itself to bigger crowds during the day, but we don't care, we're going for it! And we want those Tom Sawyer paint brushes!

We'll wake up, have some tasty, tasty food, get the first boat to MK, and hit Space Mountain along with some fastpasses for later. Squeeze in Buzz, Stitch, and Monster's Inc. before making our way to Frontierland for a fastpass at Splash, and then making sure we are on that first raft over to the Island.

We want those paintbrushes. It is our mission. We will get one. We will. Also, the last three times we've been at DL, the Island has been closed. We love it, we miss it, we need it now! Perhaps a little kissy kissy in a cave too?

We're guessing that by the time we get off the Island, things will be getting crowded. We'll hit Country Bears (which I've never been party to, but I want some Blood on the Saddal--especially after reading that thread about how horrible it was to expose children to it), before heading to Liberty Square for the Riverboat and Hall of Presidents...and, depending on the line, Haunted Mansion.

About that time we'll give up, go to the Columbia Harbor House for that amazing hummas sandwich that I still have dreams about. And, yes, we'll eat upstairs, we know how to roll. Then we'll wander and shop around Liberty Square and Frontierland, before hopping the train to Toontown and taking the back walkway to Space Mountain for fastpass action. Then some peoplemover and carousel of Progress (why oh why do I love this ride?) before heading back to the lodge for a nap!

Ok...this is where I get peeved. When I first starting making reservations, the earliest I could get a Cinderella's table was for 5:40, the entire week! Really? I asked, it's 180 days before we get there and it's 4am my time on the west coast...you sure about that? Yup, they were closing at 6pm the entire week. Huh? Then when I called back two months later I was suddenly about to get an 8:20? This just made me so angry because if I could have scheduled it late like that on a Sunday evening, our entire planning would have changed. But no...I can deal, it's ok, but why weren't they available then? Even the people at reservations thought it odd that the entire week was that way. One day I can understand, but the entire week? Just...ugh.

At least we have it though. And it's a late seating. One of my favorite things to do at WDW is to watch the fireworks from inside the castle. They're scheduled for 10pm, and I will draw out my dinner to the extreme just to be able to do that again. I'll be sure to bring tissues, because I will be boohooing from the romance of it all.

Anyhoo, after that's all done, we'll 'do' Fantasyland. Get in rides we didn't do, walk through shops, get in line for Peterpan right when the park is closing...you know the drill. Take our time, walk through Main Street and shop on our way out. Just in general, feel romantic as the park empties...waltz in the street, that sort of thing. *sigh*

Oh, yeah, then go back to the hotel to collapse.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #43
TKDisneylover
LOVES Sorcerer Mickey! Loves riding Spaceship Earth. Wants you to have a Zip A Dee Doo Dah, Zip A Dee Day....

Your planning sounds excellent for that day! I totally love it!

Quote:
At least we have it though. And it's a late seating. One of my favorite things to do at WDW is to watch the fireworks from inside the castle. They're scheduled for 10pm, and I will draw out my dinner to the extreme just to be able to do that again. I'll be sure to bring tissues, because I will be boohooing from the romance of it all.

Anyhoo, after that's all done, we'll 'do' Fantasyland. Get in rides we didn't do, walk through shops, get in line for Peterpan right when the park is closing...you know the drill. Take our time, walk through Main Street and shop on our way out. Just in general, feel romantic as the park empties...waltz in the street, that sort of thing. *sigh*

Oh, yeah, then go back to the hotel to collapse.
Just out of curiosity, does it seem like there are less children in the evening for the late meals at CRT? I never thought to make a late ADR before and the idea of seeing fireworks from the inside sounds really cool!

Your under the 20 day mark! Woo Hoo!

POP Century-2008; Animal Kingdom Lodge-2007; Caribbean Beach-2004; Off grounds-2002 (never again); Port Orleans (Dixie Landings)-2001; All-Star Movies-1999; All-Star Sports-1998
TKDisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #44
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

omg, you're right 19 days...so much to do...so little time! lol It can't come soon enough.

During the later ADR, I didn't really notice the kids...as in, they didn't bother me by being rowdy and such. There were kids there, but maybe with the absense of the princesses they aren't as crazy. We were also sat by the windows, so we weren't in the middle of it all. It actually felt quiet and romantic.

Our server asked if it was our anniversery, we said no and something to the affect of our it was still a treat for us, and he gave us anniversery champaigne flutes anyway without us ever asking. Still have them, still love to use them.

For the fireworks, they let everyone come and sit around the windows, they dim the lights and the music is piped in. Of course, you don't get the whole show, but there is something magical about it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Anyone who thinks that taking their kid to CRT to make their dreams come true is missing out on something v. important. As a child I always wanted to dine in the castle, it was my great dream. I didn't get to until I was old enough to make it happen with my husband on our honeymoon...lol, I suppose you could say that we abstained from the castle until marriage. You know what? it was worth it. If I had eaten at the castle as a child, that moment would have been ruined. Being an adult on her honeymoon and eating in the castle for the first time was one of the most special moments in my life, it was that 'dreams do come true' moment. Thank you mom and dad for not taking me there as a child, no matter how much I begged.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:36 AM   #45
KirklandTutu
DIS Veteran

Friday, Day Seven

Friday, the day of doing what we haven't done, or what we want to do again. No matter what, we'll end up at Epcot for EMH, but not sure of what will happen earlier in the day.

Magic Kingdom and Disney Studios closes at 7pm, Animal Kingdom at 8pm…of course now I'm thinking that every person in resort will be at Epcot that night…so, hmm, is it a good idea? Oh well, if they are we'll just go to Downtown Disney…or, oh darn, back to Wilderness Lodge. We'll need to hang out at the Territory Lounge at some point…right? Or…hey, are the booze carts in Epcot still open during EMH? j/k…sorta. I would imagine that they would at least let you wander around and enjoy the scenery during that time frame, so maybe some kissy kissy moments around the world?

We do have a 1pm ADR for Marrakesh, but I think I'm going to try and get it changed to a dinner time. That way we can go to one of the other parks earlier in the day if we want to.

I think I've done good this time, making sure that we have most of that day to just do what we still need/want to do. Heck, maybe just sleep in and do the Wilderness Lodge tour and a little hot tub action.

Oh yes, and we're planning to do the Adventurers Club on either day three, five or seven. Honestly, I think we should on day three just in case we want to go back a couple more times! So excited.

Oh, and 18 days left….and I got that one suitcase packed with all the snacks from Costco, brand new collapsible cane, amongst other things. Should I go ahead and put on the yellow magical express tag? Lol.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: