Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #736
pixie921
DIS Veteran

Yay! New cake pictures! Thanks for posting them girls!
Old 09-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #737
CinderelliT
Dreaming of Disney

Location: In Florida - close to Mickey's front door, yet still so far away!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan melissa View Post
I can finally post my cake after lurking and looking at everyone else's...here's a photo from a guest, professional photos soon!

Not only is this cake beautiful, I love that the actual castle is peaking out above the cake castle!
CinderelliT is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #738
pinkmiss3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet-la-belle View Post
YAY! I can play now here was Petes and mine, I was yummy!
I don't know if this has already been asked but did you have to pay extra for your cake? If you did what was the difference? By the way I loved your whole wedding report! It was great! You gave me so many great ideas.
pinkmiss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #739
sambycat
DIS Veteran

i just learned what clouding was!!!! i will run wild straightening out table cloths if they cloud my cake!! heh!

i'm trying to work up ideas for a haunted mansion inspired grooms cake, but absent of being connected with the actual bakers, i seem to be coming up at loose ends. all the planner has done was INCLUDE it on our BEO (which i specifically requested for her NOT to do as it is to be a surprise) and puzzle over what a $200 haunted mansion "sheet cake" (words off the BEO) could possibly be.....

waiting to speak with our planner and hopefully get a direct connection to the bakers. i don't have photoshop and there are so many ways a HM cake could go, i hadn't really tried to draw anything up as of yet....

interestingly, not much of anything on the interwebs in the way of HM and cake.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #740
Ann117
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat View Post
i just learned what clouding was!!!! i will run wild straightening out table cloths if they cloud my cake!! heh!

i'm trying to work up ideas for a haunted mansion inspired grooms cake, but absent of being connected with the actual bakers, i seem to be coming up at loose ends. all the planner has done was INCLUDE it on our BEO (which i specifically requested for her NOT to do as it is to be a surprise) and puzzle over what a $200 haunted mansion "sheet cake" (words off the BEO) could possibly be.....

waiting to speak with our planner and hopefully get a direct connection to the bakers. i don't have photoshop and there are so many ways a HM cake could go, i hadn't really tried to draw anything up as of yet....

Have you seen this cake I can not remember where I got the picture now but I saved it because I loved it. I am guessing not a cheap cake though.

Ann117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #741
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann117 View Post
Have you seen this cake I can not remember where I got the picture now but I saved it because I loved it. I am guessing not a cheap cake though.

hadn't seen that one - thanks! i enjoy the madame leota! almost looks like those olziewski boxes? OMG that is so not spelled correctly......

Old 09-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #742
Kimmers127
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Ok - somewhere on the DIS there is a thread with a truly FANTASTIC Haunted Mansion cake. I remember finding it when I was researching doing a cake for my mom's birthday. I know it was done by the CA Grill. It's truly spectacular and if my DF was more of a HM fan I would beg Disney to copy it for his groom's cake. Let me see if I can track down a picture...

Engaged in Animal Kingdom 9/19/09! Married in Walt Disney World 5/09/11!

My book blog: http://theavidreader.typepad.com/

Kimmers127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #743
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #744
Kimmers127
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I found it!!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2118274&page=6

I don't know if I've ever posted a link here so let me know if that doesn't work. I love this cake, I think it's very well done and the framed picture really takes it up a notch.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #745
sambycat
DIS Veteran

perfect! thanks!!!!!! let you all know what i hear back!!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #746
Kimmers127
DIS Veteran

No problem! I just can't get over it - the wallpaper even!!

I would love to do a Rock n Roller Coaster cake for my DF's groom's cake... but the cake I ordered for my mom came out TERRIBLE (the decor - it was delicious!) so now I'm kinda gun-shy. I'm afraid to just say "make it themed after the Rock n Roller Coaster" and hope for the best, because that leaves it SO up in the air. And I'm no artist, so creating a sketch is pretty much out of the question.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #747
LuluLovesDisney
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!
I guess Rainy Days are definitely a "turn on"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers127 View Post
No problem! I just can't get over it - the wallpaper even!!

I would love to do a Rock n Roller Coaster cake for my DF's groom's cake... but the cake I ordered for my mom came out TERRIBLE (the decor - it was delicious!) so now I'm kinda gun-shy. I'm afraid to just say "make it themed after the Rock n Roller Coaster" and hope for the best, because that leaves it SO up in the air. And I'm no artist, so creating a sketch is pretty much out of the question.
IDK where your wedding is, but maybe you could consider doing it at another meal? I say this because Brian at the Contemporary did that Haunted Mansion cake for a dinner at CG and he did a beautiful cake for my bridesmaids at the Wave.

I will try and upload a pic later.
LuluLovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #748
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:

If you go to the first page of the DIS Official Cake Thread Kimmers posted, there is an index of all the cake photos in the thread. After that first Haunted Mansion cake was posted, a ton of other people ordered Haunted Mansion cakes at the Contemporary, so there should be some other ideas in there for you.

Quote:
I would love to do a Rock n Roller Coaster cake for my DF's groom's cake... but the cake I ordered for my mom came out TERRIBLE (the decor - it was delicious!) so now I'm kinda gun-shy.
Where did you have it made? Only certain Disney bakeries can do the fancy cakes, but the Grand Floridian, which would make your groom's cake, is one of them.

Quote:
And I'm no artist, so creating a sketch is pretty much out of the question.
What we did for our elaborate Christmas cake at CA Grill was search for "Christmas cake penguin" on Flickr.com, grab all the photos of cakes we liked (and there were TONS), and cut and paste the elements to create a mockup for the baker. You wouldn't even have to go that far—you could just send him the photos and say you want X from this one and Y from that one...
lurkyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #749
Kimmers127
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
If you go to the first page of the DIS Official Cake Thread Kimmers posted, there is an index of all the cake photos in the thread. After that first Haunted Mansion cake was posted, a ton of other people ordered Haunted Mansion cakes at the Contemporary, so there should be some other ideas in there for you.

Where did you have it made? Only certain Disney bakeries can do the fancy cakes, but the Grand Floridian, which would make your groom's cake, is one of them.

What we did for our elaborate Christmas cake at CA Grill was search for "Christmas cake penguin" on Flickr.com, grab all the photos of cakes we liked (and there were TONS), and cut and paste the elements to create a mockup for the baker. You wouldn't even have to go that far—you could just send him the photos and say you want X from this one and Y from that one...
Thanks Carrie. I didn't realize the Grand Floridian would be making the grooms cake... is that still true if I want to have it at the Rehearsal Dinner at 'Ohana's the night before the wedding? Is this something my wedding planner can arrange?

The not very impressive cake was made at the BoardWalk bakery... I mean honestly, it was so bad we almost refused it when we got there to pick it up. If we weren't on the last 2 days of our trip I would have insisted that it be remade. I told them that my mom is really into the Wishes fireworks and the Magic Kingdom castle, and her favorite park is Typhoon Lagoon. I said I wanted a really intricate and elaborately themed cake and I didn't care what it cost, and I asked them what they thought they could do the most with. The woman got really excited and said she immediately had TONS of ideas for a really great Typhoon Lagoon cake so I said great, let's do that. We received a cake that was frosted blue, had some graham cracker "sand" at the edge, and had a boat randomly plopped in the center.... and that's it. I was just so disappointed. It looked like something you'd pick up for $15 at the grocery store, except I paid $120 for it.

I did try searching for Rock n Roller Coaster cakes but if anyone has done one, I haven't seen it yet...

Old 09-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #750
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Thanks Carrie. I didn't realize the Grand Floridian would be making the grooms cake... is that still true if I want to have it at the Rehearsal Dinner at 'Ohana's the night before the wedding? Is this something my wedding planner can arrange?
Yes! The Polynesian does not have the facility to make elaborate cakes, so yours will be made at the GF and transported over. Your wedding planner should be able to help you do this, but if for some reason s/he won't, you can work with Private Dining at the GF or the Contemporary to do it yourself.

Quote:
I said I wanted a really intricate and elaborately themed cake and I didn't care what it cost, and I asked them what they thought they could do the most with. The woman got really excited and said she immediately had TONS of ideas for a really great Typhoon Lagoon cake so I said great, let's do that. We received a cake that was frosted blue, had some graham cracker "sand" at the edge, and had a boat randomly plopped in the center.... and that's it. I was just so disappointed. It looked like something you'd pick up for $15 at the grocery store, except I paid $120 for it.
Yikes! That's exactly what I was afraid of and why I went looking for photos. However, I think you have less of a chance of that happening at GF Bakery and Contemporary Bakery because they have more experience with elaborate cakes. Actually, if you ordered the cake yourself, you could work with the Contemporary Bakery and have them deliver it to 'Ohana. The pastry chef there seems to love a good challenge and has come up with some of the most fun designs you see on the Cake Chatter Thread. If you told him you wanted a Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Cake with, say, a 3D red fondant guitar on top and stars around the sides with a ride track twisting around the base of the cake, I'll bet he could cook something up. (Just be sure to specify which elements you want molded out of fondant/modeling chocolate or else you'll get a screen print on a piece of white chocolate. )
lurkyloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: