Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #76
DisneyDadFaNaTic
How Do I Buy a House on Main Street?

Happy Thanksgiving!

In Memory of Baby and Buddy!

Pre-Trip for June 2008 Land/Sea Vacation http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1619524
Old 11-24-2007, 10:55 PM   #77
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDadFaNaTic View Post
Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks DDFNT! Hey--you put me over to page 6! Cooool!

Here am I and the children whom the LORD has given me! We are for signs and for wonders....Isaiah 8:18
DH Me DD16 DS12 DD8 DSDs6 DDDs 5
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2007, 11:22 PM   #78
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

Scarring someone else's child...

So I've already told you how my Dad loved a good practical joke. He once wore what we dubbed "the Ugly Man Mask"--the name sums it up--into a convenience store somewhere in New Mexico just to freak everyone out; it worked! We were on a ski trip, so he was wearing his winter coat, and he folded up the collar to cover half of his face. On the way in he passed a woman using the pay phone (remember those? For the younger crowd, they were phones with the handset attatched to the main body of the phone by a metal cord, and you would put coins in them to make a call). I swear, she dropped the receiver mid sentence and just stood there with her jaw hanging open. Once in the store, he just walked around real nonchalantly, picking up the things he needed, and there were people doing double takes and nearly jumping out of their skin all over the store. Of course, nowadays pulling a stunt like that could get you shot. Ah, the good ol' days....

So we have established that this was a man that loved to have a good laugh, particularly at someone else's expense. And as you already know from the whole gorilla incident, he wasn't about to rein himself in at the happiest place on earth!

Dad loved roller coasters & thrill rides, but when it came right down to it, Pirates of the Carribbean was his all-time favorite. He absolutely loved it. But on this particular occasion, he found a way to make it even more enjoyable....for himself, anyway.

Mom & Courtney must have been off riding Peter Pan or something, because it was just me & Dad on POC this time. We had already ridden several times, so they must have filled their POC quota for the day. So we've just loaded into the boat, and this sweet, young couple had boarded in front of us, their 3-ish year old little girl between them, when the mother turns to the father and says quietly, "I hope this isn't too scary for her." Now, anyone else probably wouldn't have even overheard this. But nothin' got by my Dad. He waits a few seconds, then completely poker-faced he says to me, "Man, Ashley, this is my favorite ride! But I'm really surprised that they would put a drop like that on a family ride! I mean, it's gotta be a 20 or 30 foot drop!"

For you husbands out there, believe me when I tell you that you never want to be on the receiving end of the look that woman shot her husband ! But it was too late--the ride left the platform, and there was that father thinking he had just embarked on one of those "scar-your-child-for-life" moments. He looked like the kind of guy who would care about a thing like that, unlike my dad.

So we're off, and my dad can hardly contain himself. He keeps poking me & pointing to the couple in front like some 6th grade boy (no offense, if there are actually any 6th grade boys reading). Then, the moment came: the boat begin to drop, and those parents grabbed that child and screamed! Now, if you have never ridden POC (for real?), you aren't in on the joke, so let me 'splain: Yes, there is a drop on POC. But it's about, oh, I dunno guys, whatdya' think? 2 feet? maybe 3? So Dad just busts out laughing, and that couple turned around and shot him, well, let's just say a look like that has no place in Disney World!

Well, I'm going through a very emotional time these days. For now let's just say that this trip to Disney World is more necessary than I could ever have realized when I first started planning it. But it's late, and that's another post for another day.

Til then, God bless us, every one!

Here am I and the children whom the LORD has given me! We are for signs and for wonders....Isaiah 8:18
Old 11-25-2007, 07:56 AM   #79
Shmu
DIS Veteran

Sign me up.
Title got my attention.
Then I noticed we are only a year apart (I am older so feel young)
First trip was also at 4 but in 1971
Love the Bible verse in your siggy
And, I also home school my two children (18 and 15)
Haven't read all yet. I'll catch up a little later.
Looking forward to some more reading.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #80
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleypmo View Post
So I've already told you how my Dad loved a good practical joke. He once wore what we dubbed "the Ugly Man Mask"--the name sums it up--into a convenience store somewhere in New Mexico just to freak everyone out; it worked! We were on a ski trip, so he was wearing his winter coat, and he folded up the collar to cover half of his face. On the way in he passed a woman using the pay phone (remember those? For the younger crowd, they were phones with the handset attatched to the main body of the phone by a metal cord, and you would put coins in them to make a call). I swear, she dropped the receiver mid sentence and just stood there with her jaw hanging open. Once in the store, he just walked around real nonchalantly, picking up the things he needed, and there were people doing double takes and nearly jumping out of their skin all over the store. Of course, nowadays pulling a stunt like that could get you shot. Ah, the good ol' days....

So we have established that this was a man that loved to have a good laugh, particularly at someone else's expense. And as you already know from the whole gorilla incident, he wasn't about to rein himself in at the happiest place on earth!

Dad loved roller coasters & thrill rides, but when it came right down to it, Pirates of the Carribbean was his all-time favorite. He absolutely loved it. But on this particular occasion, he found a way to make it even more enjoyable....for himself, anyway.

Mom & Courtney must have been off riding Peter Pan or something, because it was just me & Dad on POC this time. We had already ridden several times, so they must have filled their POC quota for the day. So we've just loaded into the boat, and this sweet, young couple had boarded in front of us, their 3-ish year old little girl between them, when the mother turns to the father and says quietly, "I hope this isn't too scary for her." Now, anyone else probably wouldn't have even overheard this. But nothin' got by my Dad. He waits a few seconds, then completely poker-faced he says to me, "Man, Ashley, this is my favorite ride! But I'm really surprised that they would put a drop like that on a family ride! I mean, it's gotta be a 20 or 30 foot drop!"

For you husbands out there, believe me when I tell you that you never want to be on the receiving end of the look that woman shot her husband ! But it was too late--the ride left the platform, and there was that father thinking he had just embarked on one of those "scar-your-child-for-life" moments. He looked like the kind of guy who would care about a thing like that, unlike my dad.

So we're off, and my dad can hardly contain himself. He keeps poking me & pointing to the couple in front like some 6th grade boy (no offense, if there are actually any 6th grade boys reading). Then, the moment came: the boat begin to drop, and those parents grabbed that child and screamed! Now, if you have never ridden POC (for real?), you aren't in on the joke, so let me 'splain: Yes, there is a drop on POC. But it's about, oh, I dunno guys, whatdya' think? 2 feet? maybe 3? So Dad just busts out laughing, and that couple turned around and shot him, well, let's just say a look like that has no place in Disney World!

Well, I'm going through a very emotional time these days. For now let's just say that this trip to Disney World is more necessary than I could ever have realized when I first started planning it. But it's late, and that's another post for another day.

Til then, God bless us, every one!

Stories of the immature men.....

Hope all is well w/ you.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:44 PM   #81
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmu View Post
Sign me up.
Title got my attention.
Then I noticed we are only a year apart (I am older so feel young)
First trip was also at 4 but in 1971
Love the Bible verse in your siggy
And, I also home school my two children (18 and 15)
Haven't read all yet. I'll catch up a little later.
Looking forward to some more reading.
Thanks for joinin' in the fun, Shmu! I have the bible verse from my siggy painted on my schoolroom wall. When we are having a particularly rough day, I will often quote that verse, to which my children will add: "...not for nervouse breakdowns!"

Old 11-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #82
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
Stories of the immature men.....

Hope all is well w/ you.
Thanks, Jordan. Without going into all the details just yet (gettin' ready to join the family on the couch for some "It's a Wonderful Life"), I'm going in for a CAT scan tomorrow. I'll go into more detail in a few days, after the in-laws head back home & I have more time to post.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:11 PM   #83
dairyqueenmom
If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse.

Maybe we will see you at Cindys. I had a similar experience when I made my ADR's for our May trip.

I had a very similar experience, I was finished making all my ADR's for our May 08 and just for kicks, asked the CM to just check for a table at Cindy's. I was thinking there is no way they have reservations, it was 7:20am. To my utter shock they even had the time I asked for. I guess we have to go now. My twin DS who are 5 can't wait to check out the princess'.

I just subscribed to your thread, it is a hoot and a holler!! Maybe we will run into each other during our vacations. Families of our size are pretty noticeable. We are chaos every where we go according to my DS. But she only has one DD, so what does she know.

I know we don't know each other but I will add your CAT scan to my prayer list tonight.
1995 Disneymoon Dixie Landings, 1998 Off Site, 2000 Off Site, 2001 Disney Magic, 2004 CB, 2005 Disney Magic, 2006 ASMOV, 2007 ASMU, May 2008 AKV Our 1st trip Home, Sept. 2008 BWV Mommy and Daddy Get Away, Jan. 2009 AKV 40th Birthday Trip, Aug. 2009 Vero/AKV, Oct. 2009 Mom & Dad Annual Get Away BWV, August 2010 Summer Family Vacation AKV, August 2011 BCV/AKV Summer Family Vacation, December 2011 Solo Trip MVMCP, February 2012 Princess 1/2 Marathon Poly w/sister, July 2012 Summer Family Vacation Marriot Royal Palms & AKV, Feb. 2013 Princess 1/2 Marathon POR w/sister, July 2013 Summer Vacation AKV & Ft. Pierce Beach
DH Me DD16 DD14 DS10 DS10: Oberon

Last edited by dairyqueenmom; 11-25-2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: goofed
Old 11-30-2007, 12:42 AM   #84
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyqueenmom View Post
Maybe we will see you at Cindys. I had a similar experience when I made my ADR's for our May trip.

I had a very similar experience, I was finished making all my ADR's for our May 08 and just for kicks, asked the CM to just check for a table at Cindy's. I was thinking there is no way they have reservations, it was 7:20am. To my utter shock they even had the time I asked for. I guess we have to go now. My twin DS who are 5 can't wait to check out the princess'.

I just subscribed to your thread, it is a hoot and a holler!! Maybe we will run into each other during our vacations. Families of our size are pretty noticeable. We are chaos every where we go according to my DS. But she only has one DD, so what does she know.

I know we don't know each other but I will add your CAT scan to my prayer list tonight.
Thanks for the prayers! I've always loved the writings of the apostle Paul, and one of my favorite verses is from Romans: "For when we do not know how to pray as we ought, the Spirit intercedes for us with such groanings as cannot be uttered; and He who searches the heart knows the mind of the Spirit, for the Spirit intercedes for us according to His will." That verse has always been precious to me--more so even now!

It's after midnight, and I have to get to bed--I'm nodding off as I type! But just a quick post to let you know that my CAT scan came back NORMAL. I've been called many things, but normal...well, there's always a first time! It's a gland, not a tumor, praise God! I think the doc still wants to figure out what's up with this rogue gland, but I'm still just revelling in the "not dying of cancer" part of the whole thing. I still have the MS issue to deal with, but that's another post for another day...

'Night all!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:58 AM   #85
LaLaroo78
Mouseketeer

Hi Ashley!

Your dad sounds like a real character to be around. When I first rode POC I was mad because I thought we were going to get wet. And I even said out loud like an idiot "Man I do not want to get wet. I wouldn'e have rode this if I knew we were going to get wet." Then I realized the waterfall was fake and boy did I feel stupid!

I am so glad to hear that your CAT scan came back normal. Now take a big deep breath in and let out a big sigh of relief. I hope everything else is going well for you and your family.

Take care!

~Michele
Old 11-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #86
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaroo78 View Post
Hi Ashley!

Your dad sounds like a real character to be around. When I first rode POC I was mad because I thought we were going to get wet. And I even said out loud like an idiot "Man I do not want to get wet. I wouldn'e have rode this if I knew we were going to get wet." Then I realized the waterfall was fake and boy did I feel stupid!

I am so glad to hear that your CAT scan came back normal. Now take a big deep breath in and let out a big sigh of relief. I hope everything else is going well for you and your family.

Take care!

~Michele
Thanks Michele! Yep, my dad was a real character. Everyone regarded him as this uber-cool icon of sorts. My step-mom's new husband was amazed at how everyone talks about my dad as if he were this larger-than-life person. It didn't always make him the best father in the world, but it makes for some good stories!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #87
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

What I learned back when I was dying...

Where to begin, where to begin! So unlike me to be at a loss for words!

These last couple of months have been kind of a whirlwind of doctor visits and tests. I mentioned back on page one that I'm in the process of being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Now, usually when you are in the "process of being diagnosed," you don't know what you have. I mean, once you know what you have, I guess you're officially "diagnosed," right? Well, leave it to me to go about things a tad differently...

It all started a little more than 17 years ago, right around the time of our wedding. My grandfather ended up in the hospital 2 weeks before the wedding, and he developed a bacterial infection during his stay and passed away 2 months later. During most of those 2 months he was on life support, and being that I was the only one in the family not employed, I stayed up at the hospital with him from 7 am until 7 pm.

I started having these excruciating pains in my legs, like I was being pierced with a skewer. I was worried that it might be blood clots, so I went in to the doctor. The doctor examined me, ran all sorts of blood work, and did some in-office tests. He took a rather lengthy history, asking me all sorts of questions about other symptoms. He told me it wasn't blood clots, but most likely a "neuro-muscular" disorder, and told me to start keeping a journal of every "symptom" I had. I'm like "Neuromuscular disorder? Whatsup with that?" I mean, you can't just go throwing around words like "neuromuscular disorder" and then say "Have a nice day! Go keep a journal."

That was back before Al Gore invented the internet , so I hit me the ol' fashioned stacks at the public library and piled up about 20 books on "neuromuscular disorder." Pretty soon, I noticed a trend: I would read through book after book, finding that only one disorder fit my symptoms, and it fit them to a proverbial "T": Multiple Sclerosis.

The next day I called the doctor, and he confirmed that he was indeed thinking MS, based on my symptoms, and on something called the Babinsky Reflex: basically, when the doc scrapes the sharp end of the knee-whacking-thingy across the bottom of your foot, your toes are supposed to curl down; mine--and those of individuals w/ MS--flex upward.

Now, for any of you who are thinking "Whoa! You can't cry "MS" based on leg pain and a Babinski Reflex, let me assure you I discovered that a laundry list of symptoms I had always chalked up to extreme clutziness (thanks, Dad! ) , hypochondria, or just general weirdness. Suddenly I had an explanation; not a very reassuring one, but one nonetheless.

The doctor suggested that the next step would be to have a spinal tap. Ummmm....nope! Sorry! Not signin' up for that ride! So that's where it ended for then.

Now, there's a long list of semi-dull developments which transpired over the last 17 years, but let me just say that somewhere along the way I did actually go see a neurologist, but after the guy went off on a rant about "self-diagnosis" and how maybe they should just hand out medical degrees to people off the street, I just decided to go back to my weird little dance, hovering somewhere between acceptance and denial.

So flash forward to this past August. I was feeling to see if my lymph nodes in my neck were swollen when I felt this mass.... a little larger than a pea, and hard as a rock. It was somewhat bothersome, to be sure. My cousin told me she had one before and her doctor told her it was nothing to worry about. That answer suited me fine. It's not that I'm really into avoidance, it's just that with 4 kids, I don't have time to go to the doctor. I know that sounds a teeny bit like an excuse , but it's true. Because of Ramie's nut allergy, I can't drop her off at a friend's house, and I"ve never really felt comfortable with a sitter here.

I just happened to be down visiting my sister near Austin and mentioned this thing in my neck, and my baby sister--the baby sister whom I helped raise after our Dad left-- she turns on me! I mean, she goes left! On and on about how "well-now-you've-opened-this-door" and starts telling me how everyone in the family--including HER IN-LAWS!!!-- is so frustrated that I haven't resolved this MS thing. Don't I realize that I have 4 children??? (No, I guess I hadn't noticed...after the third one, it all became a blur...)

So I was duly chastised, resolved to do something.....and then didn't. Thought about it, but didn't. Then my MOMs group at church started back up in the fall, and during prayer requests, I mentioned the situation to my small group buddies and asked them to pray that God will give me a good, swift kick in the behind to get me to take care of this.

So He struck me down flat with bronchitis.

"Well, as long as I'm here, Doc, there are a couple of things going on I'd like you to look at." So we talk about the MS, and he puts in an order for an MRI. Just like that. Proverbial piece-o'-cake.

Then I tell him about the thing in my neck (I'm getting tired of calling it the "thing." I really should name it. Any suggestions? Maybe I should do a poll.) I fully expect him to say it's no big deal. But he doesn't. He starts throwing out words like "lymphoma" and "biopsy" and "generally not good." And he sends me to a specialist.

So suddenly MS became no big deal.

All of a sudden, I was dying.

It's not that I'm afraid of death & dying. I have a deep and abiding faith in my God and Saviour. But I do have 4 kids. Not only that, we homeschool, and I'm pretty sure chemotherapy is fairly incompatible with homeschooling. Not to mention the little fact that Mason has Down syndrome. "Hey, God--what's up with that? You entrust me with this little guy, and then you take me out of the picture? Do you really mean to leave Gus alone to raise these kids?" No, not alone.

It was a very emotional ride. But in the end, it all came down to this: who do I trust more to take care of my kids? Me, or God? He brought me to this beautiful place of peace and trust. It was as if I became keenly aware of my place in the middle of this great adventure, and I realized that He would put me exactly where He wanted me to be in order to work His perfect plan. I'm going to try to express it the best way I can, but it's really beyond words for me: It's like this: If what God wants to accomplish requires me to be out of the picture, can I trust Him enough to believe that his plan really is perfect?
Not to say I wasn't sad about the prospect of dying, because I was, but He just gave me this beautiful, divine perspective, and I knew everything would be okay, no matter what.

Well, the short of it (oops--too late for that!) is that one MRI, one really terrifying dye-poisoning scare (did you know that if your kidneys and liver aren't functioning optimally and you have a contrast MRI, you will develop an incurable, untreatable, fatal form of blood poisoning from the dye? And that the way they make sure your kidneys and liver are working is by ordering bloodwork, and that if they drop the ball and forget to order the bloodwork and go ahead and inject the contrast dye anyway, you then have to go in for emergency bloodwork, and while you wait for the results you have to watch and see if your skin texture changes to resemble that of an orange peel, which is evidently not all that unlike the texture of skin when winter hits and all the humidity is sucked out of the air. Hypothetically speaking, of course--NOT!!), and one CAT scan later, the mass in my neck looks to be not-cancerous, from what they tell me. Evidently the guideline has to do with size, and mine is within the parameters for "normal." Imagine--me, normal! Whodathunk? We still have to figure out what it's doing there, and watch it to make sure it doesn't grow. But for now anyway, I'm not dying of cancer! I tell you what, the feel of my babies' hair against my cheek as I tuck them in has never been sweeter!

Back to the MRI: I have two brain lesions, consistent with MS. Eeeewww! How icky is that? Lesions, on my brain? I'm like, hey! TMI! Just tell me MS, and leave out the icky part, okay? For cryin' in a bucket... But I'm not really too freaked out about it. I mean, I was kind of expecting it (the MS part, not the brain-lesion part). And from everything I've heard and read, because I've actually been symptomatic since the age of 13 and I'm still ambulatory (fancy word for "I walk pretty good"), my prognosis is pretty favorable. I do tend to push myself too hard most of the time, which has probably been my way of not "giving in." So now I have to quit being a fool and cut that out!

Am I ever going to get to the stinkin' point? You know, the one that finally ties in with this being a trip report? As in, eventually doesn't it have to have SOMETHING to do with Disney World? Yes, grashopper, it does! (why is there no KungFu smilie...) None of us has a guarantee. We just have to live, love, laugh, and make memories with the people we love. That's what this trip is to me. It's entirely possible that the next time we are able to go to Disney World, I could need a wheelchair. Or not. But for now I'm healthy and I'm going to celebrate it in the Happiest Place on Earth!

Until next time (oh carp, Ashley! Let us recover from this longer-than-any-post-has-a-right-to-be installment before you start talking about "next time!"), enjoy your CHRISTmas season!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #88
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Can you be out of breath from writing a post?

I love your attitude

Of course, I would like it if you had more regular DR visits...just playing mom here.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #89
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
Can you be out of breath from writing a post?

I love your attitude

Of course, I would like it if you had more regular DR visits...just playing mom here.
No joke! I'm exhausted!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #90
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

Lookie! My pre-trippie hit the 1,000 view mark while I wasn't watching the odometer!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: