Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #136
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

My Dad: Clark Griswold, only cooler...

So, to understand why I turned out slightly....warped, shall we say, one must understand a little about my childhood.

As the groovin' jazzy cat said to Marie, Berlioz, and Toulouse, "Let me elucidate here."

I've already shared the gorilla-that-was-really-an-orangutan story with you. That in itself would be enough to seriously warp any child. But my dad had a way of making every trip....memorable.

For instance, take the time when I was about 12 that we visited some really huge canyon that wasn't the Grand Canyon (for years I told everyone we were at the Grand Canyon, and one day Mom says "We've never been to the Grand Canyon.")--and I mean it was HUGE! Maybe the Snake River Canyon? I'm not sure, but it was verah, verah deep. So my dad decides to go....exploring.

Now, because of my dad's seeming deathwish, I developed this compelling drive to protect him from harm. So of course, I tag along, leaving Mom up at the topside w/ my sister, Courtney, who was probably about 4. So my dad scales down the cliff into the canyon, and I follow. He's screaming "Ashley! Get the $^@@ outta here!" and I'm screaming back "No! I'm not going back until you do!"

Now, dear reader, let's stop a minute, shall we? Let's just say you're a parent who is putting yourself in senseless mortal danger when you find that your 12 year old daughter is following right behind you, refusing to leave without you. What would you do? Of course, you would shrug your shoulders, call off your adventure, and return to safety with your beloved child.

I'm sure you've guessed that if my dad had chosen this course of action, I wouldn't be telling you this story.

Nope, my dad descends deeper into the enourmous canyon with me behind him. "Well, if you're going to follow me, at least put your camera in your pocket. You need both hands." Having no pocket, I tucked my stylish, state-of-the-art DISC camera (remember those?) into my brastrap. So here I go down this rocky cliff. Interesting thing about rocky surfaces; exposure to the elements erodes the rock, leaving the surface covered in gravel. Gravel is quite traction-resistant, in case you were wondering. Luckily, there was a dead, rotted tree trunk laying there...in the traction-resistant gravel. So I'm working my way down to my dad, who has just tried the "throw-a-rock-over-the-edge-and-listen-for-when-it-hits-bottom" trick to estimate how deep the canyon is. I still remember the look of sheer terror on his face when he heard NOTHING!!!

"Ashley, go back! Go back NOW!" Before I could argue, my DISC camera slipped out of my bra strap, slid along the gravelly rocks, and landed at the very edge of the drop off. With me clinging to the dead tree trunk laying there, (what was the tree trunk clinging to, that's what I wanna know), Dad works his way down to get the camera. Dads, if you're ever in this position, LEAVE THE CAMERA!!!

Eventually we worked our way back up....which was quite a bit more difficult that wending our way down, as the tree trunk started to give a little on the gravel. We came topside to find my Mom very....upset, shall we say. Evidently, while we had been defying death, Mom had been sitting with a group of women at a picnic table. The conversation went something like this:

woman 1: "Did you see that? Some idiot just went down in the canyon with his daughter!"

Mom: "you don't say..."

woman 2: "Can't he read? Didn't he see the sign that says 'Absolutely no foot travel beyond this point?"

woman 1: "Doesn't he know that a man and his son just fell to their deaths last month?"

Mom: "Some people are so irresponsible...."

Dad: "Hey, we're back!"

woman 1:

woman 2:

Mom: "Do I know you?"

Now, the really odd thing was that my dad wasn't some male version of Brittney or anything (ooh, two Brit references on one page...I promise, I really don't even follow the Brit stories, somehow she's just been convenient this week). I mean, he was a big time executive/ race car driver. I know, sounds like I'm making it up, but I'm not. Later on, when I was in college psych classes, I read about something called a high T-factor, which is where someone actually becomes addicted to the rush of their own adrenaline. I was like "BINGO!"

So my dad was really a loving person, and quite functional....most of the time. He just never grew up.

Anyway, that's my story. Or one of them, anyway. Hope I didn't disappoint!

Here am I and the children whom the LORD has given me! We are for signs and for wonders....Isaiah 8:18
DH Me DD16 DS12 DD8 DSDs6 DDDs 5
Old 01-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #137
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Great story. God hardwired your Dad way different than everyone else, that's for sure. Thankfully so cuz it sure sounds like he was a hoot.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #138
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
Great story. God hardwired your Dad way different than everyone else, that's for sure. Thankfully so cuz it sure sounds like he was a hoot.
He was definitely a hoot! He was waaaay cool, too. I remember coming downstairs at 10pm on a school night yelling "Dad! Could you please turn the Led Zeppelin down? I'm trying to get to sleep!" He had fab taste in music, which he passed along to me, natch!

For Halloween one year he dressed up as Mad Max. I wish I had the photo digital so I could post it (if I could figure out the photo posting thing, that is. I'll work on it later). My stepmom had a poster made of it. He rocked!

He was a lot of fun. Definitely more of a friend than a parent, but he had a very rough upbringing. His mom died (from MS. Still working on that neurologist appointment thing...) when he was 4, and nobody told him & his twin sister. For 10 years they let them think she was in the hospital, too sick for them to visit. Their older sister, who had been shipped off to be raised by the maternal grandparents, and whom they only saw once or twice a year, mentioned "mom's funeral" to them one day, and they were devastated. They had been there, but no one told them what was going on.

My dad & his twin sis were raised by my grandfather's mother, a crazy, hot-tempered, pipe-smoking Kanuk from Quebec. She once threw a kitchen knife at my dad, hitting him right between the eyes. Her husband, my great-grandfather Eduard, was a master carpenter, and actually did a lot of the woodwork at Yale. He was also a drunken philanderer, and would stay away for months at a time, returning long enough to knock her up, then leaving her to raise 8 kids on her own. One cold winter day, she heard him coming up the cellar stairs and decided she'd had enough. She ran and locked the basement door. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK! "Helen! Helen!" She refused to let him in. Eventually he stopped knocking. A few days later, she went down to get something from the basement and found his cold, dead body at the bottom of the stairs. Evidently he had fallen down the stairs, and either died from the fall or from the cold.

So really, it's amazing my Dad turned out as well as he did! And I've learned over the years that generally, our parents do the best they know how at the time. Besides, if he'd been a more conventional parent, I might have turned out normal, and what fun would that be?

Here am I and the children whom the LORD has given me! We are for signs and for wonders....Isaiah 8:18

Last edited by ashleypmo; 01-09-2008 at 09:48 PM. Reason: spelling--I'm fanatical that way
Old 01-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #139
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

Every night when I put DD4 to bed, I sprinkle sweet dreams over her eyelids. Of course, the closer we get to our trip, the more those dreams consist of Disney princesses, attractions, and general Disney magic. So last night, as I'm sprinkling dreams of breakfast at Cinderella's Castle, she informs me: "I'll just hide under the table, and when my food comes, you can tell me & I'll come out."

I'm like, "Huh-uh, girlfriend! I'm not paying $200 to eat with the and have you hidin' under a table. Who do you think we're going for? Your 8 year old brother?"

The funny thing is that when we took DS8 back when he was DS3, that's exactly what he did! He said "I'm only coming out for Cinderella." Did you know that the name "Ethan" means "steadfast?" True to his word, he hungout beneath decks. We have pics of Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins (not a , BTW), and Snow White all bending down to talk to him under the table. But when you-know-who showed up, out popped our little Ethan-in-the-box, right on cue, for an autograph, photos, and a big hug. Then back under the table he went. But it was all good; I ate his stuffed French toast!

Old 01-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #140
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

3 months, 2 weeks, 6 days!

Okay, my New Year's Resolution (besides the one about the you-know-what appointment, which I'll get around to tomorrow sometime between taking Ri to sell Girl Scout Cookies, Mason's speech therapy, and home schooling), is:

I will wear shorts at Disney World!

For the record, the last time I wore a pair of shorts was at Disney World.....in 1989! Last year I lost 75 pounds, and while I've kept it off for a year, I didn't really lose much additional weight in that time. In fact, over the holidays ....well, let's just say . Yep, that about sums it up.

But with renewed focus, I'm on my way to hottie status! 3 months, 2 weeks, and 6 days sounds like a long time until you're trying to drop 25 pounds!

Hopefully by that time I'll figure out how to post pics (I'll have to go back to page....3? and look up the DDFN & Jordan tutorial), and post a pic of me & my hot self! (I want to be Gillian.)

Old 01-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #141
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

I'm a technophobe and figured out the picture posting thing..so you'll figure it out.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #142
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm a technophobe and figured out the picture posting thing..so you'll figure it out.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I did manage to upload some photos to the Walgreen's site, so photobucket should be a piece of cake. I never did figure out how to upload them on the DIS site that DDFNT mentioned.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #143
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleypmo View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I did manage to upload some photos to the Walgreen's site, so photobucket should be a piece of cake. I never did figure out how to upload them on the DIS site that DDFNT mentioned.
I used the Dis site first, but now use Photobucket as it is easier to copy pictures to your post from Photobucket.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #144
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

So we are taking a academic tour around the world for our history/social studies/literature home schooling studies. December was Germany. We had a great time! We went to a German restaurant for dinner one night & had delicious schnitzel, spaetzle, rohtkohl, kartoffelnsalat....mmmm! When we walked in, the entertainer was playing the Beatles on the accordian--he rocks! Later he played some Johnny Cash. What a riot! But he also played the traditional German songs, including all the bier drinking songs.

I had a pint of Warsteiner Dunkel, a German dark beer. One sip took me back to my high school trips to Deutschland!

So now we're on to ENGLAND! Today, we tried our hand at some English cooking (which the English are not particularly known for, right?). We a sausage roll--yum! And also a dish called "Hiss & Squeak," which is basically leftover veggies mixed w/ mashed potatoes & fried like a hashbrown patty. The kids loved it!

Now, since for our history, we're actually studying the whole Celtic/Gaelic/Anglo-Saxon region, I decided to try some Scotch Eggs. They always sounded interesting to me, and we had some sausage leftover from the sausage roll. The kids were so excited about eating a boiled egg w/ sausage wrapped around it for some reason. Only I guess the sausage from the sausage roll was too moist, because it fell off the eggs while they were frying, and I ended up w/ basically boiled eggs & ground sausage floating in oil. I scooped everything up from the pot & fried it like a hash, and they all ate it.

They are trying to convince me that Medieval Times would be a perfect field trip to tie in w/ England. Sure, kids...and which line item from the Disney budget are we taking that from???

We are going to have my mother over for high tea one Saturday. That means I'm going to have to learn to make scones. Do you think Hungry Jack biscuits would work? No, really, I'm a pretty good cook. I'm just a little intimidated by baking, but I think I can handle it. If they don't turn out very well, once we dollop some Double Devon cream & lemon curd on them, who'll notice???

Anyone eaten at Rose & Crown? I've heard mixed reports about whether it's still feasible to show up an hour before Illuminations and get a patio table, & then stay for the show.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #145
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

You're making me hungry.

I don't think it'll be possible to get patio seating by showing up...unless they have cancellations...

You could always just show up and wait just in case, just have secondary plans.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #146
Shmu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
woman 1: "Did you see that? Some idiot just went down in the canyon with his daughter!"

Mom: "you don't say..."

woman 2: "Can't he read? Didn't he see the sign that says 'Absolutely no foot travel beyond this point?"

woman 1: "Doesn't he know that a man and his son just fell to their deaths last month?"

Mom: "Some people are so irresponsible...."

Dad: "Hey, we're back!"

woman 1:

woman 2:

Mom: "Do I know you?"

Scary and funny all wrapped up into one.

Quote:
His mom died (from MS. Still working on that neurologist appointment thing...) when he was 4, and nobody told him & his twin sister. For 10 years they let them think she was in the hospital, too sick for them to visit. Their older sister, who had been shipped off to be raised by the maternal grandparents, and whom they only saw once or twice a year, mentioned "mom's funeral" to them one day, and they were devastated. They had been there, but no one told them what was going on.
Uh, WOW.

Quote:
Last year I lost 75 pounds, and while I've kept it off for a year, I didn't really lose much additional weight in that time. In fact, over the holidays ....well, let's just say . Yep, that about sums it up.
Way to go for the 75 pounds.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #147
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmu View Post

Way to go for the 75 pounds.
Thanks!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #148
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You're making me hungry.

I don't think it'll be possible to get patio seating by showing up...unless they have cancellations...

You could always just show up and wait just in case, just have secondary plans.
My bad! What I meant was making an ADR for about an hour before Illuminations & requesting patio seating. I had read that the CMs used to be very accommodating as far as honoring a patio request & then letting you stay to watch the show, but I also read a rumor that it was harder to do now.

Our old standby has always been to grab a table at the Cantina, but you have to show up pretty early to snag a good spot, and in the past we've gone w/ max of 4 people. This time around, having 8 people to accommodate has me a little !

Old 01-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #149
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

weeeeeeeeeeee-ahbumbaway!

So, guesswhatguesswhatguesswhat?

I was just checkin' out this weeks Allears newsletter, and it has the line up for the Epcot Flower & Garden Festival concert lineup, and guess who's going to be playing while we're there?

The Tokens!
How cool is that??? Can I get a "weeeeeeeeeee-ah-bumbaway"? So what if the only Tokens song I (or anyone else pretty much, for that matter) is "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"--that's like one of the all time best songs ever! I can't wait to sing really loud & dance around and embarrass my children! Of course, it does beg the question: what are they going to sing for the other 54 minutes???

Arlo Guthrie will be there the first night we go for Illuminations--so cool! We'll just miss Starship by a couple of days . But that's just as well--we can't spend every evening in Epcot. And I don't know how thrilled the kids (or DH, for that matter) will be about sitting around listening to music while we could be ridin' the rides, for cryin' in a bucket!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #150
Shmu
DIS Veteran

DH and I were on a puppet team in our church youth group a LONG time ago. We did a puppet show to The Lion Sleeps Tonight.I think of that skit every time I here that song. It is a great song.

Went to a Starship concert when they were Jefferson Starship with DH while we were dating. Great memories.

This is good news.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: