Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #31
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

DorkyDisneyMom and Hedy, thanks for reading! Eamon says "dank you", because he has a head cold. Otherwise he'd say "thank you". Poor little thing; yesterday while getting our Yule stuff together, he randomly sneezed, and I thought "uh oh"...and of course over the course of the day, he got a cold! Last night was rough. I've never been big on the OTC stuff for colds, and since the FDA talked about their danger, I'm even more worried about them. And the last time we all got sick, I gave him some Triaminic so he could sleep, and when he woke up at 2am after it wore off, his cough had changed into a croupy cough...that was awful. So last night I refused to give him any medicines, and we all just had to get through the many wakings. If it were anything but a head cold I would bring out my homeopathic stuff, but colds usually are best if left alone with lots of TLC and vitamin C.

Anyway, poor munchkin is busy blowing his nose (thankfully he hated having nose-blowing help so much that he learned to do it himself when he was something like 2, and an early 2 at that) and snorfling, all while playing with the gifts he got for Yule. He really seems to love them all, and I'm so happy. He's even happy about the pajamas and new underwear, just as happy with them as with the vtech camera and other toys! Feels so much better than it did while we were at Disneyland, where every single purchase we made for him was focused on for about one minute, and then he saw something else that he asked for (one starts having nasty thoughts about one's ungrateful, spoiled, bratty little russafrussa, when the kiddo does that).

OK, enough about that. More of the 7th to come!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #32
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The kid can turn *anything* into a blaster. Even the straw from his new Woody cup.

Also, looking at the attitude on that face, don't you think we made a good decision to skip out on Blue Bayou? That's pretty much what his attitude was the whole day. Zoiks!

And then the parade started.

This float is what inspired first Eamon, and then the Loud Lady, on our first night to call out "Goofy!" and then realize their mistake.

Look at Aladdin here. I would have done the same thing, the way Genie was driving!

And then the following is all we saw of their car, because Genie either knew, or wanted desperately to know, a woman on the other side of the street, parked the car and seemed to flirt madly with her (you can't see her here).

It was weird and annoying, and the people around her were reacting strongly to whatever he was doing or saying (can the Genie character talk?).

I have just now remembered what else we did over in DCA, and I will be going back to edit my other reply!!!

Nope, I was wrong, I won't be editing anything but this right now.

These little guys were so cute.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 12-23-2007 at 07:54 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #33
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Who does he see?

Aha! Very cool.

Robert was very impressed by their skating abilities as well. And I didn't tell him, but it was a much more effective, um, effect, and just looked cooler, during the nighttime parade.

Now who?

E oddly decided that those chefs were the chefs from Ratatouille.

The stepsisters were funny that day, but were *hilarious* the night we saw the parade.

At one point during the evening parade, but not that afternoon (at least not where we were), while they were arguing, they suddenly squared off in sumo stances and started stomping towards each other, skirts hitched up. Loved it.

Princes and princesses and ladies in waiting galore.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #34
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I sure got a few pix of Sleeping Beauty!

I read someone really wanting a picture of Ariel's gown. This isn't perfect, but I hope they see it.

This is the full picture.

And then a Beast showed up!

Phew, he had a chaperone.

I loved these dresses.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #35
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Awww

Oh now you know the kiddo will have a reaction to this guy!

Yep. This is the 3 year old's version of waving a lighter in the air during a concert.

Ooh, another favorite of Eamon's!

Some of the Dwarves.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #36
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Oh darn, poor us, we were too close to get one picture of the full tree in the parade.

Strange little standing-up reindeer...

Waving at...

Santa.

Then we got a snack of lattes and cookies and such.

We wanted to just leave at that point, but then Eamon saw the train and asked to go on. I remembered how many times he had already asked for that, while heading elsewhere, so we decided to take a full circle tour. The trains we have previously ridden, or perhaps just the cars in the trains, have been the ones where you sit facing out. But this time we were on a car with the benches that face forwards. Between the main street station and the first stop, we got the fun of some drunken people singing obnoxiously. Thank goodness they got off the train so quickly. Other than that it was fine.

And after that (we went through IASW something like 5 minutes before the normal time for turning on their lights! I never got to see IASW lit up, isn't that a (relative) travesty???) we left.

I have to consult my receipts to see what we did. Odd, I don't even notice a dinner for that night! Maybe we had leftovers (there was a fridge at Anabella). I'm pretty sure we went to bed early!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:48 PM   #37
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I was going to do some more right now, but I've been sucked into a pictorial trip report of Tokyo's DisneySea, and can't take my eyes off of it! Man that place is beautiful!!!!!
Old 12-24-2007, 03:07 AM   #38
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

December 8th!

We had 11:30 breakfast PS at Storyteller's.

I tried to be reasonable, I really did. I tried to give the guys what they needed; heck, what I needed. I tried to sleep late.

It didn't work.

We had a slow morning and did very little.

First thing I noticed was that there are tour groups at Disneyland. NOt the famed Brazilian ones at Disneyworld, but Korean ones. We got close enough to verify by language, because we were curious. If you notice, that boy in the pic totally caught me.

I think we had intentions of trying Star Tours again, but it was refused. As was Buzz. It's possible we went on Autopia; I think that Eamon and I did, while Robert went on Space Mountain.

But the big thing was that I wanted to visit Innoventions. I had read about some robot in there, and wanted to see it. I couldn't figure out what else might be in there, so really, we were clueless.

Ah...turns out the robot thing, ASIMO?, was not up and running, and all there was in there was videogames. Ugh. If it's not arcade PacMan using my mom's money, I'm NOT interested. However, the boys were.

The one thing that was cute in there, to me, was this projection-on-the-floor sports thing. It went from soccer to hockey, and a girl around 8 was kind enough to play with Eamon. You just pretend to kick the ball or puck, and a computer pays attention to it.

The thing that Eamon liked best, I think, was Guitar Hero. I didn't know if flash pix were allowed, and it turns out I like the effect of these.

He "lost" miserably. Hence the face at the end (he didn't know he lost, but it ended sooner than he wanted). But Robert played, the same song, and he "lost" even worse than Eamon did. teehee.

So time came, and we went back over to GCH and checked in. I vaguely recall being almost late, and I was quite worried about it for some reason.

We were fine, but I learned that 11:30 is when they stop serving from the menu, and you can only get the buffet. Not a problem for the boys, but a problem for ME! I reallyr eally wanted their huevos rancheros, b/c I love that dish. Oh well, I got over it; I mean, what choice did I have, right?
Old 12-24-2007, 03:46 AM   #39
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I really need to figure out how many pictures one can put in a post.

This morning and the next morning (talking about the trip here) I took pictures of my coffee. Yum. OK well, the cups, but coffee cups make me happy. My mom had these wonderful restaurant mugs she got from a supply store, and although they were tiny, compared to the massive mugs sold now, they kept the coffee just perfect. Wonder what happened to them...

Anyway, the breakfast was good! We're veggie, so we didn't partake in everything. But they had a platter of veggie "sausage" patties, and that was just lovely. The eggs were odd, but odd in a way I could handle, rather than odd in that nasty eggy way eggs can get odd and nasty. Do forgive the way of "speaking"; I've just been watching POTC3, and I *might* be talking like Jack Sparrow.

DH and I started watching it last night (it was a gift I bought for us, from DelivEARS at Disneyland through a link from the AP website, and it included a picture of the Asian ship, a bit of the sailcloth from it, and a coin in a mat) and so when Eamon woke up all sick and yucky at around 1am, the only thing I could think to sing to him for soothing purposes was the pirate's song from the beginning (that is repeated in refrains all through the movie). I'm watching the credits as I type and it was just in the refrains from the orchestral piece.

I went to the buffet first, and I handed over My Precious (wrong movie!), er, my camera (Canon S3, brand new) to DH, just in case. Even though it has image stabilization, I think Robert swings it around while taking pictures. Even though Eamon moves fast and tends to come out all swirly in pictures, I'm not sure he's THAT fast!

There's a super-cute pictures Robert took, showing that Eamon was first to get to the "ranger" and the bear, but I'm uncomfortable with how identifiable the kids on the other side of the picture are. Back of my kid's head, full body and face of strangers...just not comfy doing that with people I don't know. Ya know?

E just loves the characters! He has a hard time actually posing for pictures, because he just wants to interact and hug them.

I got back from the buffet just after the bears and kids stopped their games.

Then a racoon showed up. I hear it's Meeko? From Pocahontas? We never saw that. But he was a good sport anyway!

Mmm, food.

Eamon ate SO much food at that meal! And you all with 3 year olds, or former 3 year olds, know that that isn't always something that happens! He ate everything but the potatoes, he has some issue with spuds that I'm not quite clear on. The kid's mainly Irish, you'd think he would like them. Maybe it's the Korea quarter in him that's anti-spud-goodness, but then, DH likes them, and he's more Korean than the kid. It's a mystery.

(and right now those of you who have only seen pix of boy-o are scratching their heads and saying "that redhead's part Korean?????" hey, just as long as you don't tell my husband, while he is standing outside a ladies dressing room, holding diaper bag, babysling, baby, and woman's purse, that "it looks as though you STOLE that child," we're fine with the head-scratching)
Old 12-24-2007, 03:55 AM   #40
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

As an aside from that parenthetical thought above, background pictures...

Anyway, we've been dealing with the head-scratching from the second we saw him (or rather, anyone else saw him).

Just so no one freaks out that I'm talking about other stuff....the end of the meal was annoying. Why? Because Disney makes pins for APs who spend $30 on food in certain places. Last September, we ate at the Lilo/Stitch breakfast. Later in the trip when we ate at Blue Bayou and used our new AP discount, we got two pins, and they were of Stitch. Cute! This time, I had looked it up, and it was supposed to be Chip and Dale. Since C&D are part of Storyteller's (though if you want to see them, make your PS for no later than 10:30, b/c they are GONE after that) we thought it was perfect. Well, dangit, after spending all that on the b'fast, we found out that the pins were already gone.

Stop it, fellow APs, leave some for us!

More on December 8 tomorrow. Well, today. Whatever.

Just noticed after taking out a picture in which DH was in his underpants (oops!) that there's a hidden Mickey caused by my left palm, on my old laptop in that picture...too funny!
Old 12-25-2007, 12:01 AM   #41
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Gosh, am I still on the 8th?

We left GCH and went into DCA. Now, you'd think we entered through the special entrance, but no. We had left the stroller in an area of the esplanade near bag-check (they said to!), so we had to go get it. What a bore.

Saw a character we didn't see at all in September.

Saw the Incredibles, too (mom and dad), which DS liked.

Then I ran off to get ToT fast passes...by the way, it's not part of my report, but all through the trip I gathered FPs. Did we use any? NOPE. We were either gone, or not interested when it came time (or just later on), or they just weren't needed. Such is FP life when you go at less-traveled times of the year.

So I ran over there, and on the way asked a photopass person about the Stitch-coming-out-of-the-ground picture. She said she could do it, and she'd be there until 4. She kinda made it sound like SHE was the only one who could do it...I wonder if they get paid, or get bonuses, based on how many pictures they take?

While I was off being a runner for FPs and info, Robert and Eamon got in the Preferred Seating line for Aladdin. We had the vouchers from our package in September but they REALLY weren't needed then. Also, only Robert had seen the movie, and we figured that going to a big theater, seeing a live show, AND seeing a show with unknown characters and story would be a mite bit too much. So we saved the vouchers (sometimes I'm so happy we're on the DLR board instead of the WDW board I can't believe it...) and used them in December.

Well, it's just another line in another place, and then you wait "inside" even longer than the normal line, and really scrunched together. Can't beat the actual place you sit, though, it's in the "orchestra" section, I think the term would be.

Well, DS started getting scared. We had to pull out all the stops to get him to stay there and not be noisy about his feelings. Ultimately, it was the offer to let him sit on my lap, under a blanket, with his light-up light saber (under TWO folds of blanket so others couldn't see it) that made him happy.

Well, the show started, and at first it was overwhelming, but he warmed up to it! It's a cute show, though the Genie was a bit overdone. Then again, so is Robin Williams. The actor really reminded me of a friend of ours from Seattle, who is an actor and who became a ULC minister to marry us.

Just as the show was really being comfy for DS, he had to "go". NOW. We had taken off our jackets and I didn't want to chance waiting, so I picked him up with the blanket, and we found an usher. Went upstairs, got a ticket thing, went downstairs, and....the closest bathroom is all the way in the "back lot" area! Have to leave the theater entirely, walk all the way over there... So we did that, and then went back, and the procedure to get back in was fine, but man oh man, why don't they have a bathroom inside?

Alas, we missed Jasmine and Aladdin on the flying carpet. Saw the carpet flying at the end of the show, but not the big flying moment. But before the bathroom break, we were THIS close to the elephant walking by! We were in the back row of preferred seats, and the elephant goes right behind those seats. WOW.

So anyway, good show, DS enjoyed it. So did we.

On our way out, we saw someone.

Passing by the Beach Blast, Eamon wanted to meet Santa. OK, that's fine. Robert went off to get snacks while we waited in line. Well, actually, E really wanted to play with this weird and bizarre snowman thing.

He did have his picture taken with Santa (those are on photopass and I am waiting on the CD), but the PP camera went floopy. While we were wrangling with the photog's camera and I was figuring out when I should go to the photo place to find the pictures, Eamon went back to play with the snowman. Then Santa went to take a break, and E played more.

And fell down. Hurt his head somehow.

Santa came back and I wanted to get backups with my camera, and since there was no line I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. Alas, all Eamon wanted to do with Santa was tell him about falling down, about how his head hurt, and that he wasn't happy.

Shortly after that, Robert finally got back with snacks (he had been held up by the HSM thing). A banana and a cookie, and Chip, made Eamon feel better.

OK, in the here and now, Eamon has a rotten cold, is overtired, and is refusing to sleep. He's starting to freak out, DH is reaching the end of patience (he's been going back and forth with DS too long), and I need to step in and help out.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 12-25-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #42
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I love the bug's land area.

If you think the frenzied expression on his face is weird here, you should see the other pictures. He looks like there is a t-rex after him in the others.

One of the few times on the Chew Chew Train where I had a seat to myself! It's so relaxing that each time we went on the ride I would get closer and closer to sleep. But on our first time through, I think we all kind of looked like this.

Despite appearances, it really is:

Not sure about the sauce description, but yumyum brussels sprouts!

Playing with my camera's zoom while on Heimlich's.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #43
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

After our trip in September, I read that the best way of experiencing bug's land is to look up at the Tower of Terror, and imagine that you're a bug in the lawn.

I just couldn't get the colors right on this as the sun went down.

And then it started to rain. Hard. And got cold. And colder. Eamon became miserable, and wanted to go back to the hotel. Robert agreed.

And then we agreed that they could go home, but I would stay. Yay! Molly-time!

While wearing my stylish poncho (clear plastic with Mickey on the back), I wandered around. First thing I had to go on was Tower of Terror! That's an interesting queue. There was no line outside, a tiny wait in the lobby, and then we went to the back. The boiler room? Is that where you're supposed to be? Anyway, that's where the main wait was, and there were many of us with ponchos on, and we were all starting to steam. While waiting, there were two young 20-something men. One was on his cell, talking to a boy or girlfriend, being all cutesie but sort of hostile. Making the person feel bad that they weren't with him, while the other person was trying to do the same to him, and the "I'm having more fun, no, I am, no really, I AM having more fun" thing. The other guy was giving him junk. Meanwhile, I just giggled inwardly at the whole thing. We were seated next to each other, and they suggested keeping the belt loose.

WOW, what a ride! It made me laugh. I'd ride it again. And that's saying something!

After that, I wandered around, and ended up on Grizzly River Rapids. There was absolutely NO line. I ended up in a raft with 5 preteen-aged boys, fresh from having won a big chess tournament. They were SO funny. I have three younger brothers - two of them much younger - and I just adore preteen boys. They talked to me just like I was one of them (meaning another boy, b/c if I were a same-aged girl they probably wouldn't have talked so much), and let me know what was good and bad about the ride. One of them was just terrified of going backwards and screamed "nooooooo!!!!!" anytime he was backwards in the ride. Since there was no one else riding (after dark, cold day, had recently been pouring down rain), they asked to go again. I was farthest from the "door", so I asked if it was OK if I stayed on with them, and everyone was cool with it. And so we went again. That time, towards the end of the ride, the spray of water that shoots up started while our raft was over it. So we could feel the water on the bottom of the raft, and as we got out from over it, it exploded up, over, and down onto our raft. I got soaked. I was still wearing the poncho, but the water managed to get under the poncho on my leg, so my whole leg was dripping wet.

The boys wanted to go again, but I decided to stop while I was still having fun.

Next up on my solo tour? Soarin'.

WOW WOW WOW. I went in the single rider line, which was a weird experience. I was all alone in it, and there was a long line inside that I bypassed. Well, I knew the fun of walking past everyone who end soon, but everyone else didn't, and they glared at me as I went by. But then I stopped at the yellow line, poked my head around the corner, and was told that I would wait there until they told me to go. Shortly after that, the big line started moving, and I felt like people were saying "ha" at me. Whatever; I knew that they would go until a single rider was needed, and wasn't worried or surprised. And finally they needed a single rider, and I went on the same ride cycle as everyone else in the line.

I think that I was on the bottom row, so it wasn't as amazing as it might have been without shoes dangling above me, but it was still amazing. They had the scents working that day (I've heard that sometimes they don't have one smell or another), and the ride was cool. I would never ever hangglide, nor would I go in a small plane or helicopter, so seeing things in that way is about the only way I'll see them. I wish I knew how they caused the sense of motion...just like on Star Tours, I experimented by closing my eyes, but could still feel sensations of motion...HOW do they do that?

Once I was off of that, I texted Robert that he HAD to go on it, because it was amazing.

By that time I was getting tired, and even though it wasn't *late*, it was dark, and I was aware of the walk back to the hotel. I did bought some disney dollars. I wanted to get a Mickey bar, but the vendor didn't take cards. I didn't have cash, and figured the disney dollars would do. Well, that transaction took so long (she tried to tell me she didn't have them, and then her co-worker let her know that they were under the money tray in the register) that when I got back to the vendor, they were closed up. So, no Mickey bar for me. So I went back to the store, bought a present for Eamon, got a cocoa and a snack, and left.

By the way, the cocoa is a big YUCK. I'm a cocoa powder, sugar, a dash of salt, and heated milk kinda person, so the cocoa mixes with weird ingredient lists do very little for me. Plus we can't keep them in the house, b/c of Eamon's problem with high fructose and regular corn syrups, so I really have no taste for them.

Before going home, I went to the photopass place, and they tried to find the Santa's Beach Blast pictures. They had no luck, but we had fun trying! And by the time I got all the way home (after 9 days in San Diego) and I looked at my account, they were on there, so all is well.

Walked home and did a child swap, LOL. The boys had ordered dinner from Coco's, but I was full from the cocoa and snack.

Sadly for Robert, he was told the very wrong DCA closing time by his wife, and was only able to ride Soarin' before the park closed. But then he was urged by that same wife to hop over to DL, which he did. He rode Star Tours, Space Mountain, and HISTA. He said that HISTA was surprising, because he hadn't read anything about it. He liked it. While crossing over to the other side of the park, he wanted a picture of the castle, but didn't have a camera. He asked a photopass guy to get a picture of the castle, but they wouldn't do it without a person there. So he got a picture of himself in front of the lit castle. I was able to *almost* crop Robert out entirely, and got a pretty picture of the lighted castle while editing the photopass pictures. Nothing against Robert, but he doesn't like the picture, and I don't like to torture him by having unflattering pictures of him. Hence, cropping all but the top of his head, LOL. Then he rode POTC, HMH, and lastly Indy.

Robert had fun being there by himself just like I did. Except that I like being alone there more than he does.

LOL, while asking him what he rode and if he liked things, I've started trying to convince him that we should go for one full day the first week of January. Ha ha ha ha.

The wee bairn was tired that night, and I snapped one more picture before he went to sleep. I lightened it up quite a bit with iPhoto, which then brought out the "noise" in the picture, but oh well. The picture looks like I'm sure Eamon felt at the moment.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 12-25-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #44
lexmas
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying reading your trip report! You're giving me all sorts of good ideas, I already have a list going of things to do and see and eat while we're at Disneyland next fall...I'm getting excited! Thankfully! Because I was in a WDW mood for a little while there, and we have AP's to DL, so we're totally going there again next year! DS will be almost 2 next time, so a bunch younger than your DS, but it's still good to read reports from people with little kids.

It's nice that you're able to go do things by yourself in the park (and your DH too!)...DS still nurses very very frequently on demand, so I didn't get to do much that he couldn't go on last year...I didn't want him to freak out on DH! (Not that DH couldn't deal, I just couldn't handle the idea of DS needing me and me not being there!) But maybe by next year I'll be able to do a bit more. In fact, I forgot all those "adult" rides were at DL!

Anyway, this is a bit of a ramble, but I'm subbing and can't wait to read the rest!

Hoping to take a trip this year, but also contemplating buying DVC, which would involve skipping this year and using that money for the downpayment. We'll see where the year takes us.

Me- DH- DS (5)- DD (2.5)
lexmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #45
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Hi!

You should look at my other main trip report. It was for September, but also talked about our one-day trips when DS was just over one and just over two.

POTC is terrific to nurse a little one on, in case you haven't yet discovered that.

Small World is a bit brighter, but if you can snag a back bench and not worry about the boat behind, knowing that there are no monitors in there can make a person happy to nurse. Then again, in their refurb, maybe they'll be adding some.

That's good to know if you're planning on extending nursing. We did, er, do (I'm *finally* starting to see that there might be an end at some point, which isn't something I thought I'd look forward to, but that was then and this is now and I want to nominate my late mom and living stepmom for sainthood for nursing me and my half-sister (respectively) until we were each over 4!), and it has gotten easier each visit b/c he's less dependent on me each time.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: