Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2007, 07:56 PM   #16
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

Oh I cant wait to read more. Love the video addition. And the kids look like they have grown just from the few months from the last cruise! Great start!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:17 PM   #17
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Part 3: When it rains……

As the afternoon sped along at a pace far too fast for my liking, we enjoyed the atmosphere up on Deck 9. It was all too soon before the ship started clearing out for the evacuation drill. We stalled as long as we could and finally trudged back to our room. Last time, we arrived early to the drill and spent what seemed was a ridiculous amount of time squashed like lines of sardines in the sweltering heat. I was hoping this time we would be lucky enough to have a muster area somewhere inside, one of the restaurants or the theater. Once again, no such luck. I’ll give you this tip though…..Don’t head down to the drill any earlier than you have to. Stay in your cabin until you hear the announcement . We suited up in our jackets and waited in the cool, comfortable cabin as long as we could before going down. When we arrived out at our spot on Deck 4, most all of the cabins had already assembled. We smushed into our place in line, with everyone arranged from shortest to tallest. We only had to stand there miserably for about 5 minutes, however. What a big difference arriving fashionably late made. The Drill team did their thing and in no time we were dismissed. It was *much* more tolerable this time, though If I could’ve got a nickel for every “Titanic” reference I heard, I’d be rich.
You can’t have a lifeboat drill without lifejacket pics.. (can you tell I was miserable? Whoever wore that lifejacket before me was wearing some pretty strong cologne and it was giving me quite a headache!)

We trudged very slowly back up very crowded stairs, it seemed to take much longer to get back upstairs this time. When we arrived back at the cabin we took a few minutes to begin unpacking some of the luggage, which had arrived before we left for the drill. I also took the opportunity to pimp out our door, putting up my magnets and fish extender. (We only saw two other doors decorated, another one on 7 and fellow Dis’ers Tiffany and Doug on deck 2.)

With those things accomplished, we headed up to deck 9 for the Adventures Away sail-away party. It didn’t seem as crowded as our last cruise, to me(though we did hear this cruise was fully booked). The party itself is essentially the same as its’ predecessor. Same music, same dancing and such. We headed to our usual spot, on the deck next to the Goofy pool on the port side. There weren’t too many folks crowding down there, like I said less than last cruise. It looked like there were more folks up on deck 10 this time, though so that makes sense. The party was in full swing when we arrived and we had some lively dancers around us …

(video)

Before too long though the skies suddenly opened up. It wasn’t *pouring* per se, but raining hard enough for me to have to take cover. (Hey I had the camera, so I have an excuse. Besides, I wasn’t planning on taking another shower before dinner, so I had to go into damage control mode). Eventually Ron and most everybody else on Deck 9 took refuge under the overhang with me. Not the kids though. They stayed out in the rain and had a blast.

After a little while, the rain subsided enough for us to emerge back into the center of the deck, and for the characters to come back out onstage. Right after they did, the countdown began: (video)

(I was disappointed the music from the party was so loud it overwhelmed the ship’s horn sounding. You can still hear it if you listen carefully, though!)

As the ship began to pull out of dock and head down the channel, we decided to watch the departure from our verandah (since we’ll probably not be able to do that again!) It was nice to do that in semi-privacy, as many of the families in the cabins surrounding us were doing the same. We grabbed some Bahama Mama refills on our way down. (Tip- there is a convenient little bar setup right outside of BBB in the aft elevator lobby of Deck 9. We found it so convenient to stop there for drinks , as it was always on our way up or down, whatever the case may be. Oh, and another tip, the souvenir glasses are refillable. Just bring your empty along, and the CM’s trade it for a filled glass. I think it only costs $3.95 for a refill on the drink of the day!)

The S.S. Booze & Gamble (AKA the Carnival Sensation) followed us out to sea, the first of many times in the next few days we would run into them. The kids were really fond of their Christmas-type lights they have strung all over their top deck. It doesn’t do anything for me, though! After we got out into open sea, we finished unpacking- completely…which is something we did not even attempt last time. It was so this time, to be so organized and have extra room after being able to stow away the luggage. The room had *so* much storage room, the “desk” area contained at least 11 drawers, the storage trunk held the equivalent of the same (it had several open shelves), and there was another small vanity dresser by the closet with about six more drawers. It was great.

Once we all got freshened up and dressed, we decided to go down and catch the show. Hercules the Muse-ical was tonight. I enjoyed it very much last time (ok, I admit I like it for the pyro). No, really it is a very funny show. Some of the performers were the same, some were different. Some of the jokes had changed, too. They were more current. There was still a jab at Britney in there, though. We arrived just a few minutes before showtime and had no problem finding a good seat (another indication the ship wasn’t quite as full as DCL claimed). While we were in the show, the boat began rocking pretty good. It didn’t seem as bad as the last cruise, but the curtain was swaying back & forth and it was hard to walk up the steps on the way out.
Before heading to dinner, we stopped in the atrium. I was a bit disappointed to see the only photo backdrop up that night was the white one. We decided to not even stop and have any taken (makes it easier to not have to buy them later that way!). Needing to waste a little bit of time before dinner, we headed into Studio Sea just in time to catch the end of one of the game shows. I had wanted to play bingo, but it had already begun in Wavebands. We spent the rest of the time walking the decks and hanging out in the atrium.

Next thing you know, it was finally dinner time. Our seating was 8:15 at Animator’s Palate. AP was our favorite rotation restaurant last cruise, the food was absolutely outstanding. We had already found our table while we were at lunch, and were happy to discover it was a four-top. That meant no table mates, which, considering how these kids can be at dinner sometimes, is a good thing. It is my personal opinion also that I can just relax and enjoy my dinner more without having to make idle conversation, or worry about the lack thereof. I’ll probably catch a lot of flames for that, but it’s just our personal preference. As a matter of fact, we observed several of the large tables where the parties seemed uncomfortable together (one was right next to us). By dinner the last evening none of these groups seemed to be there, and we had empty tables all around us. Don’t know if that was due to the seating arrangements, or other issues..
Anyway, it seemed right as we joined the queue building outside the restaurant, it began to move and we were seated quickly. Soon afterwards, we were greeted by our main server, Fortune. He had brought us our basket of bread (a task usually reserved for the assistant server), but he had introduced himself and we knew he was our actual server. After a while, our assistant server, Luis came by and asked for our drink order. We obliged, and he disappeared into the bowels of the ship. We had anticipated this meal highly the last few weeks, and knew what our selections would be. We placed our orders with Fortune and anxiously awaited the delicious food.
Our appetizers came out quickly, before our drinks I might note. Ron and I had both ordered the Wild Garlic Mushrooms, as we had enjoyed it so much last time. They were just as delicious as we remembered, a creamy garlic sauce with mushrooms over phyllo (puff) pastry. We were licking our plates! (The sauce on this mushroom appetizer is the same sauce on the Portobello mushroom at Palo!) Our salads came out right on top of the appetizers. We quickly noted the dining room service did not seem so carefully choreographed this time. We noted several tables around us running either a course ahead or a course behind us. Last time, all of the tables were served the same course at the same time. It seemed a bit haphazard this time around (this did not seem limited tour our servers, we noticed the same thing occurring all over the dining room). Our salads had arrived, and our drinks soon after. There was a mistake on our drink order that was easily fixed since we were the first table served. One of the kids had ordered sprite, the other coke, and two sprites were brought. Luis just handed over a coke from the tray and took back the sprite. That was fine until he got to the next table and the guy who ordered coke at that table didn’t want the sprite! Oh well…
The salad I had ordered was the Confetti Tomato Salad. Once again I had expected whole cherry and teardrop tomatoes , but I had forgotten how this is served. It is a bed of shredded lettuce and cucumber (not mentioned in the description) with a few (literally like 3) slices of cherry tomatoes. It tasted fine, it just wasn’t “tomato” salad as it is described. Some of the lettuce in the bottom was very bitter, also. Ron had the Caesar Salad, and he said it was good. (Not great, just good). Our dinners came promptly afterwards. Fortune asked us if the timing of the courses suited us, and since we are fast eaters, we agreed that the pace was good for us.
Savannah had grown tired and cranky from almost the minute we walked in the door of the restaurant. In fact, she didn’t even make it to dinner before falling asleep in her chair…

Since we weren’t straying from what we had known to be good, both Ron and I ordered identical entrée’s. We both ordered the Bacon-Wrapped Filet with Seafood Pastry Shell. Like I had described in my last TR, the “pastry shell” is very good, almost like a phyllo consistency. Flaky and surprisingly tasty. This time around, my fish-shaped pastry shell was too dry, almost too tough to “cut” with a fork. I also got a bite of shrimp that still had shell on it (or casing, or whatever you want to call it. Something crunchy. Our steaks were a bit substandard also. I had ordered mine medium well, and it came out very well-done (not burnt or charred, but dry). Ron had ordered his medium and it came out medium well- to well done. So, needless to say, we were both a bit underwhelmed by the food. Also, Luis had gone missing and our beverages were empty. At least we still had water. Fortune took our dessert order and it was about this time we noticed, the “show” did not seem to be going on this time. We discussed it amongst ourselves, figuring maybe they don’t play the color show on the 3 night cruise. Right after we started talking about it, though we noticed the music come on and the colors began. It was a bit surreal how it began right as we noticed its’ absence. I don’t know if someone forgot to “turn it on” (the music and the lights that is!) or what.
For dessert, we both again ordered the same thing as on our last cruise. Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie for Ron and Boston Cream Pie for me. They were served promptly (still no Luis!), and might I add, right at the same time as our neighbors at the next table got their entrées. The Peanut butter pie was awesome, although tooth hurting sweet. The Boston Cream Pie was suffering from the same ailments as our steaks, too dry. Plus there was too little chocolate ganache on top. I didn’t even finish it.
All in all, the whole experience this evening was disappointing. Brendan wasn’t upset with his delicious dessert choice , however:

(You can see in this photo the light display had not started yet, but by the time I snapped this photo of Ron, it had begun)

After our dessert, we sat through the “reveal” part of the show, which took way too long. Actually it just too too long for Fortune to get back to our table to give us the breakfast spiel. For some reason we were the last table he stopped at. Still no Luis, and we never met our head server during this meal either. There definetly seemed to be some bugs to work out for the food service staff both out front and in the kitchen.

It was a long and wonderful day,and we were all very tired. We went up to Deck 9 to get some drinks, and retired to our room. A beautiful swan perched on the bed to greet us.

The kids jumped happily into their bunks. All of a sudden NOW Savannah is wide awake! They watched Shrek 3 for a little while, and Ron and I enjoyed the beautiful evening sea breeze from our verandah. The perfect end to an almost perfect day!

Next up: Discovering the Hidden City

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2007, 11:32 PM   #18
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

aww im bumbed the food wasnt up to par Hopefully the next day is! cant wait to read more!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:09 AM   #19
CruisinEars
Engaged at WDW 8/23/95!

Yay! I found you again. I just recently read your other trippie. The Cracker Barrel pics were making me envious. We don't have those up here but I did eat at some when we were on an extended stay in Georgia. Yummo! I also noticed the Captain Underpants and the Ben 10 watch. My ds has those too.
Can't wait to read more. Also, loved the video clips, especially the horn.

Number of Trips:
WDW=7
DL=7
DCL=1

Last edited by CruisinEars; 10-23-2007 at 12:10 AM. Reason: added more
CruisinEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:04 AM   #20
LITTLEKID58
Platinum Castaway

TFS pics are great
Old 10-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #21
LovableGluttons
See Ya REAL Soon!

Oh wow!

That's it. I'm convinced!

We should do a Florida DISers cruise sometime!!!

You, DreamCruiser, Thundermountainmamma, and everyone else!
Old 10-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #22
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovableGluttons View Post
Oh wow!

That's it. I'm convinced!

We should do a Florida DISers cruise sometime!!!

You, DreamCruiser, Thundermountainmamma, and everyone else!

I'm *SO* there!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
Old 10-23-2007, 08:32 PM   #23
TCB in FLA
Mouseketeer

I'm enjoying your TR so far -- your kids dancing in the rain are just too cute!

During our first cruise, AP was a disaster as well, food-wise, timing-wise and server-wise. (However, it all worked out -- the head of food service heard about our multiple problems and sent a whole bunch of Palo desserts to our rooms! ) I hope the meals got better as the cruise went on! Looking forward to reading more...

Disney Marathon January 2014

Disney Dream 3/30/14
Me and DH , DS13 DS11
TCB in FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #24
LovableGluttons
See Ya REAL Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
I'm *SO* there!
We just have to figure out when. I'm in Land O' Lakes. I think DreamCruiser is in Lakeland, ThunderMountainMomma is over in Trinity.

We could get a hubby to drive us out to the Port

OR

We could hire a limo! Meet somewhere and have the limo pick us up.

Now, we just need to get a few more central Florida DISladies on board!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #25
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Quote:
We just have to figure out when. I'm in Land O' Lakes. I think DreamCruiser is in Lakeland, ThunderMountainMomma is over in Trinity.

OR

Only FLORIDA Disers?????

Although that could fill most of the ship...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:31 PM   #26
nenner1

Quote:

OR

Howdy neighbor!

We live just a tad bit south of ya! We're in the greater Northdale area...off of Dale Mabry just south of VanDyke Rd!

I've been trying to transfer from St. Pete to Land O Lakes for a few years now...... I make that drive every day...ugh!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #27
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Ok....

Up here...(upstate NY...)

Land O' Lakes is BUTTER!!!

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #28
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
Ok....

Up here...(upstate NY...)

Land O' Lakes is BUTTER!!!
LMAO!

Okay, everyone you will have to be patient with me over the next few days.

I'm up to the Atlantis part, but I don't have my pictures developed yet (waterproof cameras). Plus I have to work Saturday (well, and tomorrow too, of course) And Savannah has a competition Sunday.

Hopefully I can get the next segment up this weekend, but if not, Monday evening.....

Old 10-26-2007, 06:24 PM   #29
mickeyluv
DIS Veteran

Your pictures are all so good. What type of camera do you have?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #30
lovmy2girls
DIS Veteran
I tell ya, if you are moving to a bigger home, sit back and watch your stuff expand
Normal? ? Thats a setting on my dryer!

Love reading your report MORE MORE
07-2005 Polynesian
12-2005 All Star Music/Coronado Springs
01-2006 All Star Sports/Polynesian
05-2006 Polynesian
05-2007 AK Lodge/Polynesian
09-2007 Beach Club/Polynesian
12-2007 1st Disney Cruise! Dec. 9-13/Polynesian
05-2008 2nd Disney Cruise! May 8-11/Polynesian
???? 3rd Disney Cruise!
lovmy2girls is offline   Reply With Quote