Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
dvcbrad
dvcbrad
 
dvcbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 336

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Gty. vs. Assigned Reservations

We've sailed twice on DCL and are DVC members, but haven't quite figured out the Guarantee reservation yet for DCL. We're sailing on the Western for Spring Break 2008, and have two Cat. 9 rooms reserved – with assigned cabin numbers. We ideally want adjoining, but right now have one room that adjoins and one that doesn’t right next it, with a wait list/request to get fully adjoining.

So, my questions are: 1) what are the advantages/disadvantages of a gty. reservation vs. one with assigned cabins, and 2) would we be any better off to switch the cabin-assigned reservation to a gty.? Also, any feeling as to whether DCL can accommodate meeting our request for adjoining? Thanks for any thoughts.
dvcbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
CraftyMouse
I am ever so grateful for the technology that has allowed that little blurry spot!
 
CraftyMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Neverland
Posts: 8,405

A GTY simply means that they have oversold a category (expecting some cancellations to occur before the sail date) and cannot give you a cabin number. With a GTY you are guaranteed at least the category you have reserved and you might possibly get an upgrade. Note, however, that anybody can get an upgrade and there really is no rhyme or reason to how they are given out.

In your circumstances I wouldn't switch to a GTY. You mention that you are hoping for adjoining cabins and right now you have them side by side. With a GTY reservation you have no say as to where your cabins will be located and they may end up nowhere near each other. I would stick with the reservation you have and stay on the wait-list for adjoining cabins.

Have you asked DCL if it is possible to contact the party in the cabin that adjoins yours to see if they would swap theirs with your second, non-adjoining cabin. I'm not sure they would do this, but it might be worth a quick call to DCL to see.
CraftyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises
 
mmouse37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Too far from the Magic!!
Posts: 27,164

FYI....if you want your two cabins to have the interior door that you can pass through from one cabin to the other then you must request CONNECTING cabins, not ADJOINING. This may seem like splitting hairs but to DCL reservations ADJOINING simply mean the cabins are right next to each other and CONNECTING means that they have the interior door.

Make sure DCL is aware of your specific request....you may be waiting for CONNECTING cabins but DCL may think you only want ADJOINING cabins.

Good luck!
__________________
31 DCL Cruises and Counting!
Disney Magic - 19 times - Official Maiden Voyage July 30, 1998, Re-imagined Magic October 27, 2013
Disney Wonder - 5 times
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
dvcbrad
dvcbrad
 
dvcbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 336

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
FYI....if you want your two cabins to have the interior door that you can pass through from one cabin to the other then you must request CONNECTING cabins, not ADJOINING. This may seem like splitting hairs but to DCL reservations ADJOINING simply mean the cabins are right next to each other and CONNECTING means that they have the interior door.

Make sure DCL is aware of your specific request....you may be waiting for CONNECTING cabins but DCL may think you only want ADJOINING cabins.

Good luck!
Yes, they are aware - we discussed that at length when making the reservation. I know that my term for it is not what theirs is - I guess mine is more hotel, but who knows. Thanks for your thoughts.
dvcbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
dvcbrad
dvcbrad
 
dvcbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 336

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMouse View Post
A GTY simply means that they have oversold a category (expecting some cancellations to occur before the sail date) and cannot give you a cabin number. With a GTY you are guaranteed at least the category you have reserved and you might possibly get an upgrade. Note, however, that anybody can get an upgrade and there really is no rhyme or reason to how they are given out.

In your circumstances I wouldn't switch to a GTY. You mention that you are hoping for adjoining cabins and right now you have them side by side. With a GTY reservation you have no say as to where your cabins will be located and they may end up nowhere near each other. I would stick with the reservation you have and stay on the wait-list for adjoining cabins.

Have you asked DCL if it is possible to contact the party in the cabin that adjoins yours to see if they would swap theirs with your second, non-adjoining cabin. I'm not sure they would do this, but it might be worth a quick call to DCL to see.

Crafty Mouse - thank you, your explanation is exactly what I was looking for in trying to figure this out! As to requesting whether they would contact the other party, I in fact did ask DCL that. DCL said that at that particular point (about two months ago), they would not do that, but that they might in the future in terms of an upgrade for the other party.

The obvious, logical solution would just be to flip-flop that party with our non-adjoining, leaving them in the same position as they originally were, albeit in a slightly different cabin, leaving us with the two adjoining. Since I'm not in that business, I don't know if that's possible, reasonable, etc., but it certainly seems to make sense - at least to me!

Thanks again for your insight.
dvcbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
winotracy
This is NOT an ask Tracy question!
Moi??? Talking too much?!? How can that be?
Skeet Shooting is not, I repeat not on our Disney Cruise!
 
winotracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DeForest, WI
Posts: 7,617

Just an FYI, you cannot request a Guarantee room if the category has staterooms to assign.
winotracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
mazz1
Mouseketeer
 
mazz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: north east coast uk
Posts: 284

can someone pls tell me what GTY stands for

i have made my reservation and been given the stateroom number which we believe to be or room, we had the deckplans up on screen when discussing the reservation

all this GTY is confusing me, will we get the room booked or could we be moved?

thanks Mazz
mazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises
 
mmouse37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Too far from the Magic!!
Posts: 27,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazz1 View Post
can someone pls tell me what GTY stands for

i have made my reservation and been given the stateroom number which we believe to be or room, we had the deckplans up on screen when discussing the reservation

all this GTY is confusing me, will we get the room booked or could we be moved?

thanks Mazz
A GTY (which means guarantee) is only offered when DCL has oversold a particular category. When they cannot assign any more cabin numbers in that category they will let you book that category but in a GTY status (knowing that there is a high likelihood of people cancelling and that they will assign a specific cabin number at a later date). If they cannot assign you a cabin in your category then they would upgrade you.

But, since you already have an assigned cabin number you don't have to worry at all about GTY status. If I remember, you posted on another thread about your children and that you needed that specific handicapped cabin with specific bedding.....so if you arranged that with DCL you would not be changed.
__________________
31 DCL Cruises and Counting!
Disney Magic - 19 times - Official Maiden Voyage July 30, 1998, Re-imagined Magic October 27, 2013
Disney Wonder - 5 times
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times


Last edited by mmouse37; 10-18-2007 at 02:50 PM.
mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: