Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2002, 08:31 PM   #1
Belle4
Mouseketeer

SOG Resort

What can you tell me about the shades of green resort? I am a DOD civilian employee, does this mean that I am able to stay here? Also is it in a good location? Are there buses that go to the parks? Please tell me everything that I need to know.
Belle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 08:42 PM   #2
disney4us2002
Tagless by choice!!

My dh is also DoD civillian and yes you are definitely eligible. It books fast however. We made our June 2002 reservations in July '01. It is also closing in April '01 for renovations and will not reopen until appx 9/03. In the meantime guests of SoG are being relocated to the North Garden Wing of the Contemporary for basically the same cost--very cool deal! SoG is located very close to the Polynesian and is considered a MK resort. It was first owned by Disney and was the Disney Inn until around 1994 or so. The rooms are very large and accomodate 5 people.

Carla

The link to SoG: http://www.armymwr.com/shades/index.html
disney4us2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2002, 09:02 PM   #3
PlutoPal
WDW Animal who likes to hang with ContempoSMT
Wants to work for Disney and take over Mike's job!

SOG is now closed. The people staying there are being relocated to the Contemporary resort, a few minutes away.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:03 PM   #4
Belle4
Mouseketeer

So does this mean that I could stay at the Contemporary Resort for the same price that I would be staying at the SOG resort. It would either be the SOG or the All Star Resorts, but if I could get the Contemporary for the same price then I would rather do that. Are they taking reservations? I want to travel to WDW in Jan of 03.
Belle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 10:30 PM   #5
disney4us2002
Tagless by choice!!

Yes, you still book thru SoG reservations. There is a request at the online site. You put in your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices for dates and they'll email you back if they have openings. I'm assuming they're calling openings the same number of rooms they would book if they were open which is around 280. Just because they are relocating to 'Contemporary doesn't mean they can book more rooms. Send 'em a request and take it from there. CR is so close to MK and a monorail resort so we are thrilled to death.

Carla
disney4us2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 08:13 AM   #6
BibbidiBobbidiBOO
AKL is my new favorite
SO, the CB lured me in.
Disney minds think alike!
No not that Bibbidi, I'm the OTHER one

Yes, the north wing at the Contemporary! We have never wanted to stay at SOG but have taken overflow rates from them in the past. When I heard the news on the boards about CR I e-mailed 3 choices to SOG. Got my first pick in Dec.! Will have a room for $95 a night (plus tax at CR). They sent me an e-mail back saying it would be CR and about the tax difference! Yippee!
BibbidiBobbidiBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 10:35 AM   #7
jlazz
Earning My Ears

Hi, Belle. I'm also from NJ and Dh is a DoD employee - Army Corps of Engineers. :-)

I had no idea about the renovations when I emailed my request the other day. I got my email back from them w/my first choice week, and it said I'd be at the CR! I have to admit, I was excited - and still am! The rate they are giving me is the same as what I'd pay at SoG - $95. You might want to check out the responses to my post from yesterday, asking about the CR - http://www.disboards.com/showthread....hreadid=161396

For future reference, we stayed at SOG in Jan of 2001. I thought it was fine. They had buses to the Transportation Center, or you could walk across the street to the Poly and take the monorail. I didn't eat at the SoG Resaurant, but dh and family did and dh thought it had better food then the other places we ate (lots of character meals - maybe that's why! lol!). The rooms were nice enough (hopefully they will be even better after the renovations. don't know if they are renovating the old or just adding more rooms). Unfortunately, I don't have anything to compare to, because I prior to last year, I hadn't stayed on property since my senior class trip in 1980! *showing age* I think we stayed at the Polynesian then, but truthfully, I don't remember much about the hotel - and since it's been over 20 yrs, I doubt much would be the same anyway.

Good luck making your plans. I know I'm getting very excited - and I just booked *this week* for next year (Feb 15 - 22, 2003) Don't know how I'll wait that long! LOL!

:-)

Jackie
jlazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: