Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: So, what do you think I should do?
List him on petfinder for no small children? 6 20.00%
Bring him to the shelter on Thursday? 4 13.33%
Call vet and ask them to help find home? 17 56.67%
Call kennel to ask for help finding home? 1 3.33%
Put to sleep cuz once a biter, always a biter? 5 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Thank you for all your support and replies. update page 2 after talking with vet

We have two dogs. One is 5 yrs old and the other is 3 1/2 yrs old. They are great dogs but our younger one has been giving us problems every once in a while. We got him when he was a puppy and he is a sheltie/lab mix.

Tonight my ds6 was walking by him and puppy was in one of his moods. DS6 walked by and puppy barked and bit him on his arm. He didn't break skin but left pressure marks. This is not the first time but will be the last time he does this to one of my kids.

So, my options are what??

Do I list him on petfinder for a family with no small rambunctious kids? Do I send him to the shelter when they open on Thursday (closed tomorrow)? Do I call my vet or kennel and see if they would like to help find him a home?

Should he be put to sleep for biting?

He has done this about 3 times. After the last time we said we were giving him away but couldn't do it. It is happening this time cuz if he ever broke skin and made anyone bleed then he would be put down immeadiately and maybe he deserves a chance with a different family. But if he ever bit someone else, I would feel awful.

This is the same dog I wrote about not long ago that almost died from unknown internal bleeding. We loved him enough to pay everything and save him so it's not like we don't love him. getting rid of him no matter which way will devastate my children. We will not be replacing him wiht another dog. We will be a happy one dog family.

He really is mostly a sweet dog but has unprovoked attack moments. He loves everyone once he is done barking at you.

He is the blonde dog on the couch.

Last edited by pyrxtc; 10-17-2007 at 08:15 AM. Reason: update
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

bump since it seemed I got lost as soon as I posted this. Could really use some help as to what I should do, or what you wold do.
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
CathrynRose
R.I.P. Possibly Un-PC Tag, R.I.P.
Back away from the cheesecake, lady!!!
I had ponytails so tight, I couldn’t move my head
I can't stop sniffing me

Have you thought about training?

I hate to hear this. I really do.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
BuffettFan
Mouseketeer

I would try petfinder first, and like you said, I would suggest no small children. If that doesn't work, you could always try finding a home through your vet or kennel.
I think the shelter would be a last resort for me. It really limits the time for him to find a home.
And I don't believe he should be "put to sleep"....
BuffettFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
kimluvswdw
I just can't put my finger on what makes it so wonderful
I had a doctors appt so I made a frozen pizza

You would be surprised at how much good training can do. He is such a cutie and your home is probably the only one hs knows. It would be a shame to give up on your little member of the family.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

We have done training with him but he is not a smart dog at all and he just doesn't get it. Treas don't work cuz he just throws up anything we give him. If he gets a chance; he does whatever he wants to do. he just refuses to get it. Training worked great with the other dog.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

How do I know that on petfinder the family would be good to him? Or would not have small children around? I want him to be loved but don't want to give him the chance to be bit again. he is a nervous dog, even the kennel we leave him at has noticed more nervousness recently.

Keeping him is out of the question since this is his third strike. If he ever draws blood, I don't know what I would do. I'd rather take him away from the chance than have to put him down.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
DisTeach1
DIS Veteran

Honestly, I would put him to sleep. He is a very unpredictable dog and I know my vet would say the same thing. How do I know? Because I had one-I had a sibling set, and the girl was very dog aggressive, but as she got older, started being more aggressive towards humans. I took her to "specialized" training and paid $300 for a dog "behaviorist" to evaluate her and tell me she had gentle eyes. Well, she still bit someone...me. In her aggression to get to another dog, she turned around and bit me.

My vet said she would always be an unpredictable animal with tendencies like that...no matter what the training. If we wanted to be vigilant our entire lives, and always, always be on guard, then we could keep her. But he always recommends putting an unpredicable dog who has bitten with no provoking be put to sleep.

Why would anyone even think of finding another home for it? It's a dangerous dog and you can't guarantee every situation that that dog will be in.
DisTeach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
marshallandcartersmo
DIS Veteran

These posts break my heart.

Was it truly unprovoked?? Meaning, DS was walking by and he lounged at him to bite him? To cause physical pain to him? Or did DS startle him and dog snapped thinking he was something else, the other dog maybe, wanting to play/irritate him?

Honestly, if it were me and it happened 3 times and each time was unprovoked........yes, sadly I'd find another home for him. 3 bites is too many to have young children around. Yes, I believe in training, but it seems to me that if you've had the dog for 3+ years and these issues still aren't worked out, maybe this dog isn't a good match for your family.
marshallandcartersmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

DS was walking by him too fast for puppy I guess. He was just going to brush his teeth for bed and dog barked/ crazy mad bark and DS was crying. I pulled up PJ sleeve and saw marks. kids are gonna walk fast and I can't have a dog that won't let them be kids. Our other dog did great with the training, we can take him anywhere and he'll listen and has never even snapped at the kids.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #11
rkwells
DIS Veteran

With all due respect, don't make excuses for that dog. I have walked in your shoes and had to make a heart breaking decision I am sure I will be flamed for. We adopted the sweetest (or seemed to be at the time) mix from a no kill shelter. The very first day home she snapped at my daughter. I chalked it up to the dogs trauma and being in a strange environment.

Over the course of 8 months I took her to 2 different dog trainers/behaviorist and tried my very best to turn things around.

Short of it is she remained unpredictable and in the end started to snap at me. I knew it was likely she would hurt someone eventually and made a decision that still hurts....

In retrospect I never should have allowed this dog around my kids as long as I did.

You are only young once but you can stay immature indefinitely
Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been
rkwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:29 PM   #12
kribit
DIS Veteran

He's still young. Why not try some training before you send him off to a shelter?

He's a really cute dog.
kribit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:41 PM   #13
Aimeedyan
Why get all excited about something as silly as a fake celebrity? Or getting a tag?
Jello is not meant to be chunky

1 - find a behaviorist or good trainer in your area to do a professional evalution. You're not a professional, I'm not one, no one on this board is (and even if they claim to be, we're faceless on the internet). A LIFE is at sake here. The least you can do is call one for their input. Any professional worth a hill of beans will realize that some dogs are not workable and need to be put to sleep.

2 - If the professional says it can be worked with and you still feel like you don't want the dog, contact a rescue. You can't just jump on Petfinder and post it. You can only post it under the classifieds, which is not where people look. Only rescues and shelters can list on the petfinder searches.

You are not qualified to find this dog a home, a rescue is, and you have to go through some extensive training and rehab before releasing it to another home.

Honestly, posting a poll to determine whether a living being lives or dies is quite disturbing to me.
1982 & 1990 ~ trips as a child ~1997 ~ Caribbean Beach ~ 2002 ~ Vacation Home ~ 2003 ~ Stayed with Family ~ 2004 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~2006 ~ Pop Century & Disney's Vero Beach ~ 2007 ~ Wilderness Lodge & Yacht Club ~ 2008 ~ Carnival Cruise & All Star Music ~ 2009 ~ All Star Sports & Downtown Hotel ~ 2009 ~ All Star Music, Comfort Inn & Boardwalk Villas
Aimeedyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:24 PM   #14
scottishduffy
I was walking around and providing my own musical theme song in the chord of F flat
"Yes ma'am. I am trying to develop an amazing pain tolerance and thought this would be an *awesome* way to start."

Do an internet search for local rescue societies. Almost every breed of dog has their own rescue and they will take mixes. If it were just adults in your home, I would suggest training and patience. However, you have small children and this is not a risk that is worth taking. He has to go and you should not feel guilty for posting this question. I am sure this is a difficult decision for you to make. You obviously love him enough to try to find a good home for him.

Talk to the vet and search for local rescues and no-kill shelters for him. Hopefully he will make a great dog for somebody, but is just not a good fit with your family.

My parents have a rescue dog that came from a similar situation. Winston is wonderful with adults, very affectionate and cuddly. He is also *terrified* of children. He does not know what they are, anything under 5 feet tall frightens him. He will occassionally get aggressive when frightened. Winston is a great dog for my parents, and lives with them in their retirement community, just not suitable for kids. Your pup may be similar.
scottishduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:14 AM   #15
"Got Disney"
They’re like Lays chips...just cant get enough
Little Angels come and take them away
We need to smack them all in the heads and say "WAKE UP YAHOOS"

not to take this the wrong way but when he was a puppy puppy did your son nag him...pull his tail just playing or pock at him?

The reason I ask is my girl friend had the same problem with her dog with her son who would torment the dog... at the time her son was 4 and she said that her dog (a golden retriever) would snap at her son all the time because the dog was saying stay away from me because I dont want you to hurt me.

She started having her son feed there dog and give daily treats with a good dog praise and finally the 2 of them bonded and the dog never snapped again.

My dog did not like my kids to hug him and if they tryed he would snap...that went on for years and the only one that he would let hug him was me. He is 16 and the kids can know hug him.

What does your vet say? Ask a few vets for there opinion. Sometimes as much as we would like our pets to like all of us some times they dont.

If you decide to give your pet up request a home that has no children and also do not give him away because there are to many people out there that look for free or cheep animals and they sell them for as much as 75.00 for medical research, so be sure to sell him above that amount.

Do not put in the paper, and do not bring to the pound because I did that with a stray that I found just reciently and they said because he snapped when trying to take his food and toys away they found him un adoptable and had to put him down. They would not even let me take him back after they told me I could if he was not adopted out. He never snapped at me or any of my kids or even the groomer or vet that checked him out when I found him.

I wish you the best of luck and if you decide training again he may need a few goes around. Good luck

just relax Mun :wooho
"Got Disney" is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: