Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

All the way from Japan to enjoy the WONDER of Disney

OK where to begin. This is my first ever trip report, so at times if it seems like I have no clue what I'm doing it's because I probably don't.

Let's start with the title. It drove me a little bananas trying to think of the best one. Sorry it turned out so generic. Some other choices included:

THE GOOD,THE BAD, THE UGLY, THE PERFECTION OF DISNEY

WHERES ANOTHER PAY PHONE SO I CAN CALL MY BOYFRIEND BACK IN JAPAN REPORT

ARE THERE ANY COWS LEFT IN FLORIDA REPORT

HOW I ALMOST GOT CAPPED IN THE LIL' NEMO SHOW REPORT

All these choices will make since as the report goes along.

A little background information is in order here. I started planning, researching and worrying over this trip ten months ago. I first made my appearance here about the same time. I must have read hundreds of reports and advice posts, taking notes on each and everyone. Yes I'm an over planner. I will say this reading all I did turned out to be useful in so many situations--Thank you SO much to those here that helped with the questions that I thought were impossible to answer.
Our trip was planned to be four full WDW days (one for each park) followed by the four night cruise on the WONDER. The cost from Japan--Don't make me go there I just get Was it worth it? Get your and
and join in and see.

P:S I'm computer stupid so just be patient. Not sure how to post pictures yet, but I hope to have mastered that skill by the end of the ride.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Let me introduce the family

Ok here we go. Let me introduce the family.

Me--Wally--tokyodisneydad. Originally from Georgia about 4 hours from WDW. I'm a Disney fanatic,perfectionist that wants everything just right for his family, a big teddy bear with a soft heart that will cry at a beautiful sunset. YES I'M A MAN AND NOT AFRAID TO ADMIT TO THE TEARS Lots of tears this trip. Favorite character:Goofy

Wife--Kiyomi--tokyodisneymom. Japanese and very beautiful. Why is she with me.?I still haven't figured that out yet. Favorite Character: Mickey( she shares his birthday--Just ask her,she told every CM in the park and on the ship)

Oldest Daughter--Akane 15. Speaks a little English and has a boyfriend Favorite Character:Minnie

Youngest Daughter--Junna 13. Speaks almost no English and doesn't try. Ordered Steak 7 times during this vacation and that doesn't count the hamburgers. Favorite Character Stitch and just like him

Ok now let me point out that the girls are actually my stepdaughters and even though I love them like my own children we are still building a family. That was the biggest reason for this trip. This little fact will come into play several times during the trip.

Ok I live in Japan and its 2am here and even though the Jet Lag monster has a good grip on me I should try to sleep. I will post our arrival and day one story tomorrow.

Last thing-- I'm happy to answer questions and respond to positive people, but don't need any negatives. Sometimes I will give an opinion in my story, but its important to remember it's just an opinion. Goodnight for now!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
pikafreaks
Mouseketeer

~Count me in!

I cant wait to hear more!

(I lived in Japan for a few years and still miss it!)
Old 09-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Arrival into Florida!!

Welcome aboard PikaFreak--What brought you to Japan if I can ask?

Yes I'm back already. It's 5:30 am here so after 3 hours sleep I'm back up and continuing the story. Like I said Jet lag plays funny games with your mind and body.

Our trip started Tuesday August 22nd at 3:30pm in Narita airport. On our way there we pass our beloved home park Tokyo Disney land and Disney SEA. I give a wave and yell out the window that we are on the way to see it's big brother in Florida. Of course the girls get under the bus seats from embarassment.
Back to our departure--Like I said our departure time is 3:30 pm on Tuesday and after a mostly uneventful flight we landed in Atlanta at 3:00 pm on the same Tuesday. Now wait a minute how did that happen? Talk about playing games with your mind, that will do it. Didn't I just spend 12-14 hours on a plane.
I have to take back what I said about an uneventful flight to. First they sat the 3 ladies in my life in one row and me in the next. I hated this. Felt alone even though the seats were only seperated by an aisle. I sulked for about 10 minutes (Kiyomi DDM says longer) then I remembered where I was going and stopped sulking. Then my in seat TV broke down after about 3 hours. I have to say thank you to Deloris my flight attendant for doing her best to fix it and apologizing many times. Believe it or not the loss of the TV was not a big deal. I had note books of planning notes to go through and a book to read.
Anyway arriving back in time at Atlanta airport we have 3 hours to kill before our Orlando flight. We breeze through customs and go up to our gate area.
I hear two things from my daughters. Junna (now known as DDJ) says "I'm hungry!!" Now this I understand, airline food leaves much to be desired and on my rating scale gets 2 out of 10 only because the Watermelon was ok. So we get DDJ a hamburger and fries. The rest of the family gets a variety of food which I don't recall. I remember I had a Cherry Coke (10 of 10) only because you can't get it in Japan.
After lunch we pass some pay phones and I hear from Akane (now known as DDA) "I want to call Pachi." (Her boyfriend) We will call him The Boy for future reference Well Kiyomi (now known as DDM) said no that this is supposed to be a family vacation. I see this face from DDA So trying to build a relationship I promise her she can call him from Florida. Ok you can call me DD or Stupid from now on both will fit.
We finally get on the plane to Orlando and make it there in record time

At the Orlando airport I was so worried about taking the Magical Express that I had asked a million questions about the process and taken a million notes. When we actually got there it was so easy just like our travel agent had said. I'm proud to say except for a quick review once and awhile the large notebook never was used after that moment.

Disney Here we Come!! Next Pop Century Check in, promised phone calls and another hamburger!!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
Avivasmom
DIS Veteran

I am here too...my DH lived in Japan for 6 months too...he played reggae music in Repunge in Tokyo and loved it.

Did she survive with out her boyfriend?
Offsite (3 times), CBR Dec 2004, POR May 2005, AKL Nov 2005, CSR May 2006,POFQ June 2006,POFQ Nov 2006, BWV July/Aug 2007, BCV Nov 2007, POFQ Jan 2008, June 2008 SSR, AKV Aug 2008, SSR Oct 2008, SSR 2009
Aug 2010 BCV/BWV, Dec 2010 BCV/POFQ SEPT 2011 POFQ

Upcoming:
Hoping either BCV or BWV March 2011
Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
wee-haggis
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to reading more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1989/11(Honeymoon) Delta Court Of Flags,1992/10 Quality Inn Suites,1998/10 Carribean Beach/POFQ,1999/06 Holiday Inn Family Suites,2001/03 Holiday Inn Maingate East,2001/08 AKL/Comfort Inn LBV,2002/08 POP,2003/03 Kissimmee Villa,,2004/08 Kissimmee Villa,2005/08 POP,2005/12 Kissimmee Villa,2006/03 Kissimmee Villa,2006/08 Cypress Pointe GV / DCL Wonder,2006/12 Kissimmee Villa,2007/12 Pop Century/Bahama Bay,2008/08 Cypress Pointe & Lake Buena Vista Resort & Spa ,2008/11 Lake Buena Vista Resort & Spa ,2009/11 Cypress Pointe GV,2010/08 Kissimmee Villa,2011/04Cypress Pointe GV,2011/09Kissimmee Villa,2012/05Cypress Pointe Resort2013/02Boardwalk Villas,Saratoga Springs Villas2014/01Kissimmee Villa,2014/09Best Western . D.L.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
EvilinaDM101
I LOVE Disney, Lilo and Stitch, Depeche Mode and my VW New Beetle!!

Talking

YAY!! Great report so far! Can't wait to read more!!

As for waving to Tokyo Disney and Disney Sea.....GAH!! How lucky you are to be able to see that!! That is where my DH and I hope to go in the next year! Keep up the great report and I'll be eagerly waiting for the next installment!!

~Shonnel
Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #8
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Responses

Glad to see a few people joining in

Hi Avivasmom--She survived, but he may not the next time I see him. The bad part is she got in alot of trouble about THE BOY the week before and it almost canceled our trip. But that's another story

Hi Wee-haggis--Thanks for joining in

Hi EvilinaDM101--Welcome aboard. Trust me when I say Disney SEA is a must do if you ever get the chance
Old 09-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Checking in at the POP, promised phone calls and another hamburger!!

Continuing the story:

A little back ground is needed here. Two years ago we stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside and made a bus stop at POP. The girls said at that time that they wished we could stay at the POP next time. Thus the reason we were now standing outside the POP century hotel. I will give the POP 7 out of 10, but it's not for everyone. For our family the room was nice enough to sleep in and that was all we needed. The staff was helpful and friendly, theming fun and cool. We were in the 1990s building near the giant computer. I loved the picture hanging in our room and wanted to take it back to Japan.
Check in was easy and we took our luggage to the room. A bit of a trek but no bell boys means less tipping. A plus for me as this trip was already costing an arm and a leg and possibly a replacement hip in the future. The girls at this point seemed excited and pushing and shoving started to see who would open the room door first. DDJ won out on that battle, but no problem.
The room was colorful, clean and comfortable. If you have big kids or are staying with just adults, you may want to consider a moderate resort.
After settling in or in other words 5 minutes later. I hear "It's Cold and I'm Hungry."
Yes my girls were cold in Florida in August. Plain and simple explanation is that they aren't used to strong AC. In Japan the Ac is used sparingly because of costs. This would be a problem throughout the trip, but eventually we solved it.
Back down to the food court, this is around 9 pm Tuesday night so no time for a park or anything, DDJ gets--Guess what--Wait for it__ A hamburger and Fries. Again not so sure what the rest of us get but I do remember I got the Tye Dye cheesecake (9 out of 10 ) The girls wouldn't even try it because of the color.
Ok-- here I should tell you we were on the Disney Dining Plan. Not the free version that started the day after our trip ended but the pay for it version. The Disney Dining plan is great imo and my only complaint is they need to let you know what is included a little better. Even the CMs seemed a bit unclear about this.
After dinner we start back to the room to get a good nights sleep. MGM was the next day and we had Extra Magic hours to play with. Of course on the way out we pass pay phones and DDA reminds me of my promise. So I try to help her call THE BOY The phones seem to only use calling cards and I'm not buying a calling card for her to call THE BOY that she just left less than a day and half ago. I think-- I've lost track of time being awake I'm not sure how long at this point, but definitely more than 24 hours. So to make a long story short she uses her own money to get a card and calls him. I go back to the room and wait up like any good father. When she comes back to the room 30 minutes later I fall asleep on

Next:Mickey wakeup call, MGM studios and Tower of Terror over and over.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
always_learning
Mouseketeer

Another one joining in! Your title lured me in and I so don't look forward to boyfriends.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #11
mkluvsmickey
DIS Veteran

Subscribing I studied Japanese in college and it is a dream to go there someday!
Old 09-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #12
Mandychelle79
DIS Veteran

Subscribing.... sounds like a good trip so far. I did LOL about the steak and hamburgers. My dd(4) would do the same thing only with chicken nuggets if we would let her.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #13
eternaldisneyfan
Have an Attitude of Gratitude!
*sadly, no emoticons because my pix max out the limit-my words will have to stand alone*

Wally,

Nice start, I am here for the ride

--Christamae

Boo'd!! Frosted , Snowed , Ho ho'd Tree'd!
"Everything in life is a choice. Even if the only choice we have is the attitude with which we embrace each moment." Mattie Stepanek
Old 09-03-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
disneydance
DIS Veteran

OK Tokyodisneydad i'm in thanks for reading my tr by the way and I updated it many time through out the last few week and even added pics!!!!

Past Trips
~ 1998 Disneyland ~ 2002 Disneyland(Embassy Suites Anaheim South) ~ 2007 Disneyworld(Animal Kingdom Lodge) ~ 2009 Disneyland(Comfort Inn & Suites) ~
Old 09-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #15
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Responses

Hi Christamae and Katie. I actually have caught up with both your trip reports, but just haven't had alot of time to respond. Still unpacking.

The next post is coming soon. I was just trying to figure out how to post pictures. Any advice anyone?

Thanks for joining in Mandychelle

Michelle--Come on over Japan is a very friendly and safe place

Always learning: Boyfriends are not a fun thing. Especially when I remember when I was that age.

Last edited by tokyodisneydad; 09-04-2007 at 10:13 PM. Reason: More responses

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: