Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
OJoyfulOne
I LOVE the Dwarfs and hope to see them again when I'm there!!!

need some help/suggestions

Hi!

I've been at Dis off and on since 2000 and never knew this forum existed!!

I've purchashed my first DSLR camera this past summer and have been trying to get familar with it. I got the Nikon D40x (that was all I could afford, wanted the D80 to get me started....but oh well) with a two lens kit (18-55mm and 55-200mm). I'm trying to prepare for my trip to Disney and Disney cruise at the end of Nov.

I've recently purchased a Joby tripod that I can use just about anywhere. I'm disabled and use an EVC, so I've been trying to mess around with getting it set up at the front of my EVC (I just got the tripod yesterday). I purchased it because of the night shots for parades, etc.

Now, having said all that, will the lens that I own currently get me good results specifically for night shots? Would you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Joy
OJoyfulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Master Mason

Can't stand tomatoes in the larval stage

Joy,

It also depends on what night shots your looking to get, for long exposure shots of things such as the castle or the hat or something like that, what you have should be fine. For moving things such as the parades, you might want to have a faster lens, ie one with a larger appeture. The standard suggestion is the fairly cheap 50mm but the nikon version will not auto focus, because it doesn't have the focus moter in the lens.

I'll leave it to some nikon shooters to give you any further suggestions.
Master Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
OJoyfulOne

Master Mason,

Thanks!

I guess I need to think about getting a lens with a faster appeture then, cause I want to take pictures of the fireworks and the parades!

Question for those of you who own Nikon DSLRs....

When I bought the camera, I asked Ritz Camera if I would be able to put any larger lenses on my D40x and they said that Nikon didn't make any larger lenses for the D40x. Is that correct? And I'm assuming since the 50mm lens isn't not a big lens (meaning big as in mm), it should be compatable with the D40x???

Thanks!

Joy
Old 10-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
Code
DH of Lease, Father of Triplet Boys :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJoyfulOne View Post
When I bought the camera, I asked Ritz Camera if I would be able to put any larger lenses on my D40x and they said that Nikon didn't make any larger lenses for the D40x. Is that correct? And I'm assuming since the 50mm lens isn't not a big lens (meaning big as in mm), it should be compatable with the D40x???
Any lens that fits Nikon will work, but the D40x does not have a focus drive motor in the body, so only lenses with built in focus motors (denoted by AF-S or AF-I for Nikon lenses) will be able to auto-focus on this camera. As Master Mason said, the 50mm f1.8 doesn't have a focus motor, so it would be manual focus only on the D40x.

Check out my WDW photos on flickr (New photo daily - sometimes )
Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
OJoyfulOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code View Post
Any lens that fits Nikon will work, but the D40x does not have a focus drive motor in the body, so only lenses with built in focus motors (denoted by AF-S or AF-I for Nikon lenses) will be able to auto-focus on this camera. As Master Mason said, the 50mm f1.8 doesn't have a focus motor, so it would be manual focus only on the D40x.
K,

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
Groucho
Why a duck?
You need every advantage you can get

Since I don't think any of the Nikon primes have the focus motor in the lens (not positive though), F2.8 is probably the fastest you'll be able to go. Best bet would probably be a short-range zoom first - like an 18-55mm F2.8 or similar, or a 28-75mm F2.8. Tamron makes a nice one like that that I use as my primary lens, but I'm not sure if the Nikon version has the motor in the lens... I'm guessing probably not but again

Probably someone has one, hopefully for not too much money.
trip reports: 1/11, Animal Kingdom Villas live TR, full TR (up to day 4); 6/10, Star Wars Weekend, Pop Century; 1/10, Beach Club Villas full TR, live TR; 1/09, Old Key West; 4/08, Beach Club Villas; 9/07, Disneyland Hotel; 1/07, Saratoga Springs Resort

groucho.org gallery (main site) - Flickr - Google+ Pentax Photo Gallery - Pentax Auto 110, H3, 2x Spotmatic, 3x K1000, red K-x, K-5, K-3, Q, WG3
Pentax 10-17mm fisheye, 16-50mm F2.8, 18-55mm, 31mm F1.8, 50mm F1.2/F1.4/F1.7/F2.0, 50-135mm F2.8, 50-200mm, 55-300, Zenitar 16mm fisheye, Lensbaby Composer, Tamron 70-200 F2.8, Lester A Dine 105mm F2.8 1:1 macro, F Nikkor 105mm F2.5, M42: Vivitar 55mm F2.8 1:1 macro, Pentax 35mm F3.5, 55mm F1.8, 105mm F2.8, 2x 135mm F3.5, 300mm F4, 2x Vivitar 200mm F3.5, Carl Zeiss 135mm F3.5
Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: