Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #46
Tamraj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
The MAW GAC card is specifically for the WISH child, so you may run into CMs who do tell you it can't be used unless the WISH child is going on that attraction (that is the actual rule, so you may get CMs who will bend it, but that would be up to the CM).
Also, I just noticed the OP was talking about on child going on little kid rides while another was on big kids rides. So the WISH child would already be using the MAW GAC for access.

If your other child also has disabilities and you may want to split up, you can go to Guest Relations to request a GAC for your disabled 'non-WISH' child. I would probably not go into Guest Relations as a whole family and not have MAW stuff visible because they would be likely to say you already have a MAW GAC and not give one. But, since you have a 'non-WISH' child who would not be going on the same rides all the time, it does make sense that you may need some other accommodations.
Since the GAC is not meant to shorten the wait in lines, you may find that the wait is not shorter, but the conditions would meet your child's needs.

THANK YOU SO MUCH
That helps me out tremendously Now would this cost extra and if so how much you think?? and would it last our whole visit or would I have to get a new one each day??

Old 03-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #47
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

There is no charge for the GAC, and it will be valid in all four Disney parks for the duration of your trip.

If you have not yet done so, click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information. Post #6 discusses the GAC at some length.

Or, if you want an easier route, click on the link in my signature.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #48
Tamraj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
There is no charge for the GAC, and it will be valid in all four Disney parks for the duration of your trip.

If you have not yet done so, click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information. Post #6 discusses the GAC at some length.

Or, if you want an easier route, click on the link in my signature.

I just found that I'm reading it right now. Thanks so much for your help so far...

Tammy

Old 03-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #49
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Gac

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttshouse View Post
This thread is a link on the Wish trippers unite thread!

I've been looking around and am getting a little confused between the MAW/GKTW buttons vs the GAC. Some Wish trip reports suggest that we almost *need* the GAC to get some kind of preferencial treatment (i.e. get to the head of the line). At this point, DD probably doesn't *need* the GAC. She is limited in her stamina due to 3 years of chemotherapy.

What kind of treatment should we expect the MAW/GKTW buttons to "get" for us? I'm sorry if this sounds crass, but I'm not sure what kind of accomodations we should be asking for/expecting. I have heard reports of CMs not knowing about these buttons and since we'll only ever have them this one week (fingers crossed) I would like to know what to expect (and what to request).
Actually lack of stamina is the reason why many kids have a GAC. Standing in long lines can be very draining. That was our main concern, and it helped a lot.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #50
Tamraj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttshouse

Quote:
I've been looking around and am getting a little confused between the MAW/GKTW buttons vs the GAC. Some Wish trip reports suggest that we almost *need* the GAC to get some kind of preferencial treatment (i.e. get to the head of the line). At this point, DD probably doesn't *need* the GAC. She is limited in her stamina due to 3 years of chemotherapy.

What kind of treatment should we expect the MAW/GKTW buttons to "get" for us? I'm sorry if this sounds crass, but I'm not sure what kind of accomodations we should be asking for/expecting. I have heard reports of CMs not knowing about these buttons and since we'll only ever have them this one week (fingers crossed) I would like to know what to expect (and what to request).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Lin View Post
Actually lack of stamina is the reason why many kids have a GAC. Standing in long lines can be very draining. That was our main concern, and it helped a lot.

This last question and answer left me just a tad confused. Does this mean that I should ask for both the MAW/GKTW buttons and the GAC for the wish child?? I'm sorry for all the questions I would just like to know so we don't miss any thing.

Thanks Tammy

Old 03-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #51
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamraj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttshouse

This last question and answer left me just a tad confused. Does this mean that I should ask for both the MAW/GKTW buttons and the GAC for the wish child?? I'm sorry for all the questions I would just like to know so we don't miss any thing.

Thanks Tammy
You will get what you need for your MAW child at the GKTW orientation.
They will take care of making sure your MAW child has what he/she needs.

Think of the button as kind of a 'marker' that lets the CMs know your child is on a MAW trip. The GAC (that you will be given at the orientation) will tell more specifically what your child needs. You will be given what you need, so don't worry.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #52
Tamraj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
You will get what you need for your MAW child at the GKTW orientation.
They will take care of making sure your MAW child has what he/she needs.

Think of the button as kind of a 'marker' that lets the CMs know your child is on a MAW trip. The GAC (that you will be given at the orientation) will tell more specifically what your child needs. You will be given what you need, so don't worry.
OK cool thanks so much

Old 03-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #53
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Worry

Seriously. Don't worry. In the experience of the Wish Trippers with whom I have discussed this, everything is handled for you in regards to the GAC by GKTW, so you just have to go with the flow on that. The were only a few exceptions I had to having it all very clear in my mind after orientation. I had trouble knowing to follow the Disabled traffic lane paint at Disney, which a parking attendant tried to tell me (I was a tad confused). At each park CMs will direct you to where you are to park after they see the GKTW button.

At Universal, I was not ready to present the special parking pass to the attendant as I drove in. It looked very much like one of the tickets. I am sure she thought I was an idiot as I dug for it.

Some (very few) TMs at Universal were a bit confused on how to deal with the pass. When in doubt ask what to do at attraction entrances.

There are some things we, as parents, should be planning to handle. Here is a partial list:
Packing all weather gear appropriate for the climate. For us, in September, this was crocs, shorts, ponchos, sunscreen, a misting bottle (which you can buy easier down there than at home most times) and a hat for me.

Reservations for character meals. This is hard, because many of these are booked up before you get your trip dates. Still, calling back frequently to check on cancellations can work wonders. You can see on our TR that Disney Pixie Dust got us in without reservations (thanks Jeff!).

Believing GKTW when they say to pack light. You can wash clothes at the villa while you are soaking in the hot tub. We had to buy a huge bag because our luggage was full of goodies we received or bought. That was before the days of paying per bag on the plane.

Have cash handy to buy food on the plane.

Scheduling where you want to go each day and remaining flexible when plans need to be changed.

I will add more when I can think of things.

Bill
Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #54
Mskanga
Can speak and read 4 languages fluently! The TF is impressed!
In need of tube riding lessons for the water slide!
Yo quiero ir a WDW
Prefers reading tags to threads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherN View Post
The guest assistance card covers the wsih child AND the entire family.NO worries!
That is exactly what I was told in disneyland with my daughter's case , all family members of the wish child are covered with the GAC card wether the wish child is riding or not. A wish trip is mainly for the wish child but it is also focused on the family.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #55
josabbimommy
Mouseketeer

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great advice! Great answers and advice!
Caitlin DD1
Aunt Suzie gets to come too!!
1986: Grand Floridian Aunt Suzie and Me (age 5)
2007: Off-world DS5, DD1
2009: GKTW, Joseph's MAW Trip, DS7, DD3)
2012: The Caribbean Resort, Pirate Rooms!

Joseph's Trip Report:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2140175

Gluten-Free for ME!
We are returning to Disney World!!
In Memory of Grandma

Old 04-08-2009, 12:45 AM   #56
MamaGist
Earning My Ears

Hi, i have a question about the cards. Elise is the wish child and she is 4 yrs. Our family consists of toddlers and big kids. what's the best way to go about getting the older ones on the rides without waiting for a long time while the little ones are riding their rides? I want the whole family to enjoy as many things as possible.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #57
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Big kids and Little kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGist View Post
Hi, i have a question about the cards. Elise is the wish child and she is 4 yrs. Our family consists of toddlers and big kids. what's the best way to go about getting the older ones on the rides without waiting for a long time while the little ones are riding their rides? I want the whole family to enjoy as many things as possible.
We took the GAC to the line for the big kids and were able to get the CMs at Disney to let them in while we held on to the GAC for the little one to go elsewhere. At US and IOA we had some trouble with TMs going along with this. At SW, while some were riding Kraken, Lysi and I fed the seals.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #58
mechurchlady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGist View Post
Baby swapping. AT DLR Autopia the party shows up and tells the CM they are doing a child swap. The party gets in line using GAC, single rider, fastpass or stand by lines. The babysitter and the kids who cannot ride go to the exit to wait for the party to get off the ride. The babysitter can spend that time doing other things like rides, shows, and snacking, whatever. The party gets off the ride then the babysitter takes one person and goes through the Autopia exit to almost immediately board.

It works the same way basically for WDW and DLR rides. This is only for rides where there are height requirements in place and one member is to short.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #59
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Wish Trip Planning Tips

I want to remind everyone that these tips are here to help you plan your Wish Trip.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #60
Mtopher4
DIS Veteran

Any Advise on a Disney Cruise wish trip?

Lisa, Wife of 18-1/2 years to Mike and Mom to Christopher age 11 and twin girls Ashley and Jessica age 8
TEXAS
Disney Fantasy Apert Cruise May 11-18, 2013
http://www.apert.org/Bock
Ashley'sMAW pre-trip planning http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post35407954

May 9-13th
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: