Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
BusyMom2Three
Mouseketeer

Disney strollers for 7-year-old (medical need)?

My ped recommended we have a stroller on our upcoming Disney trip for my very asthmatic DS. I know a lot of people have strong opinions about older children in strollers, but his is a medical necessity (not that he won't walk often).

I don't feel he needs an ECV or wheelchair, and we can't rent a traditional stroller b/c I won't be able to wash the soft parts in allergy detergent at Disney, so my options are buy and bring a stroller or rent the Disney ones, which I believe are all hard surfaces, so I can wipe them down (he has allergies that are one of his asthma triggers, and I know he comes in contact w/ allergens all over Disney, but I don't want him laying his head on them in a stroller and breathing them in while resting during a potential asthma exacerbation).

Are the Disney strollers suitable for a tall 7-year-old, and are they easy to push and turn? Has anyone found a stroller besides the Disney ones that fit a 7-year-old (that aren't $500 )? I was looking at the Maclaren Triumph as a possibility.

Thanks for any input! This forum has been so helpful!

1985 Tokyo Disneyland (Hilton Tokyo Bay)
Mar 2007 Pop Century
Mar 2009 Pop Century
Mar 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
Mar 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Feb-Mar 2013 Beach Club
Feb-Mar 2014 Pop Century
BusyMom2Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

I've never tried the Disney rentals, but I've seen plenty of older children in them and the wipability would be nice.

I see you have a 4 year old. Are you bringing a stroller for that child? I think most 4 yr olds need a stroller at Disney. The reason I ask is that my 7 yr old Peg Perego P3 was perfect for our recent trip with my 6.5 and 3.5 yr old. It has steps on the back that an older child can stand on. Both of my children are old enough to be able to stand on them so sometimes my 6.5 yr old even ended up in the seat when my 3.5 yr old wanted the steps. It was so much nice on long stretches of walking and I knew where they both were in crowds. I don't know if P3s still have this feature, but I've also heard of accessories that you can attach to existing strollers to create the same sort of thing. I think they're called boogie boards.
nfceagles is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
BusyMom2Three
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
I see you have a 4 year old. Are you bringing a stroller for that child?
DS4 is very high energy (he barely sat in the stroller last March!), so I was thinking about bringing one stroller, and when DS7 is walking, DS4 could take a break then. Not sure, though. I prefer not to lug a double stroller around (makes it harder on the buses), but I'm not positive what would be best yet. DS7 has days where his decreased lung function is very apparent and causes him to tire easily and walking around is hard on him. I'll check out the stroller you suggested. Thanks!

Mar 2007 Pop Century
Mar 2009 Pop Century
Feb-Mar 2013 Beach Club
Feb-Mar 2014 Pop Century
Old 02-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

We were there last month and I insisted on renting a WDW stroller for my 5 year old that had been ill the night before. He refused to ride in it but the point is, he fit when he sit down for like 1 minute but there was not a lot of extra room. He is 45 inches and 47 lbs and has really long legs. No clue if he would have been hard to push as he never got pushed in the 15.00 stroller We had looked for a stroller before we went and really found nothing that would fit him that was not crazy expensive. Maybe a special needs stroller would be the way to go.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

Do you have a friend that may loan you one or do you have a local thrift store where you could buy one cheep, wash it and then donate it when home. The Disney rentals are easy to clean, they have a cloth and plastic mesh canopy, but they are hard and not comfy at all. They are also very low to the ground. All your child will get to see while in it is the back of peoples legs. Standard stroller will have the child higher and they can see and do more. Our 8 year old still uses a stroller due to medical need. Of all the places that we take him Disney is the only place we have been that people did not stare or say something about an older child in a stroller so you should not worry about that.
If you do end up renting a Disney stroller be sure to pay for all your days upfront so that you can get the discount ( I'm guess you already knew that, but I wanted to make sure you knew).
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Many people rent a double WDW stroller for an older child. They are low to the ground, but are very easy to push, even with a larger child in them.

You can also look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature. Post 2 has equipment rental information.
Toward the top, you will find information about renting the strollers at the parks.
Then, scroll down a bit until you get to the places that rent special needs strollers.
There are several places that rent them and an advantage to renting one would be that you would have it for your entire trip, which may make keeping it clean easier.
Another idea - would you be able to cover the stroller with something that you can wash, such as a blanket, so he doesn't come into direct contact with the stroller. That would help with ones that can't be wiped down.

People have also looked on websites like Craig's list or eBay to find special needs strollers. If you. Can find one at a reasonable price, you would be able to resell it when you get home.

And a note about wheelchairs and ECVs.
ECVs can't be rented to use by a child. One of the companies that I know of will rent to older teens, but in general, they can only be rented for use by adults.
The park rental wheelchairs are adult sized and will probably be too big for a 7 yr old, unless he is really large. There are some off-site companies that rent smaller adult ones, but even those might be too big for a 7 yr old.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
BusyMom2Three
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinez1895 View Post
Do you have a friend that may loan you one or do you have a local thrift store where you could buy one cheep, wash it and then donate it when home. The Disney rentals are easy to clean, they have a cloth and plastic mesh canopy, but they are hard and not comfy at all. They are also very low to the ground. All your child will get to see while in it is the back of peoples legs.
No friends have strollers anymore (my 4yo is the baby of our circle ). I did think about buying a used one. I looked on craigslist and there isn't much, but I may try a couple of resell places nearby. I hadn't thought about him staring at everyone's legs in the Disney strollers--good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Another idea - would you be able to cover the stroller with something that you can wash, such as a blanket, so he doesn't come into direct contact with the stroller. That would help with ones that can't be wiped down.

And a note about wheelchairs and ECVs.
ECVs can't be rented to use by a child.
Covering a rental is a great idea. I have no idea why I didn't think of that simple idea. I wasn't thinking when I put ECV. I can just see my son trying to drive one of those!

Mar 2007 Pop Century
Mar 2009 Pop Century
Feb-Mar 2013 Beach Club
Feb-Mar 2014 Pop Century
Old 02-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMom2Three View Post
No friends have strollers anymore (my 4yo is the baby of our circle ). I did think about buying a used one. I looked on craigslist and there isn't much, but I may try a couple of resell places nearby. I hadn't thought about him staring at everyone's legs in the Disney strollers--good point!

Covering a rental is a great idea. I have no idea why I didn't think of that simple idea. I wasn't thinking when I put ECV. I can just see my son trying to drive one of those!
Regarding staring at people's legs - a regular stroller is still pretty low, so not that much different.
Unless it's really busy, he will be far enough away from people that he's not going to see a lot of legs.
Close up when it's crowded, he may - my DD is in a wheelchair and sees quite a few butts.

You'd be surprised. I've seen people who think a 5 yr old driving one is a good idea!

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
primrosea
Mouseketeer

Stroller

I know peoples opinions are different, but I have a stroller for my 9 and 6 year old for when they need it. My 9 year old has OT issues so this time we used a sit and stand version. Most of the time we just drive it to the basic area that we are going, park it and walk from ride to ride. I would say they only really use it 20% of the time, but it is there just in case. Plus, it is handy to have to hold bags and ponchos!
primrosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
MinnieVanMom
DIS Veteran

Although we live very far away from Disney I put our Liberty by Advance Mobility on Craigslist in Orlando as we could leave it at bell service for a short time period.

I also listed it in Clearwater as my brother lives there and he will be keeping it for me when we move to the EU.

I hope you find an easy solution. I like this one because it has a sun shield, easy to move around, is comfortable and holds up to 100 lbs. It folds easy and I can woman handle if I had to onto a bus but we use the lift when I am alone.

All we get is spam email from craigslist so it has been hard.
MinnieVanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Chubbylita
Earning My Ears

I think it's SO totally Fine! You are doing it for a very GOOD reason =) Enjoy your trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: