Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-18-2007, 12:23 AM   #121
Momof2wCF
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 133

Hotmamac, to the boards! Let us know how everything goes with your DD when you can. We can't do a lot for you, but most of us have spent time in the hospital with our kids (big understatement!) so we know that life and we can send you smilie hugs and encouragement. Since Wendygrace so kindly started this thread, this is a great place to hang out!

Quote:
How many kids are we talking about here on this board? A dozen?
Two here, Linda. Although sometimes it feels like a dozen!

Quote:
Does anyone know what it is going to cost my MIL to eat at GKTW? Or granter said maybe $2-3 a meal?
Karla, I'd call GKTW, because when my DM talked to them, they said if the wish organization okayed it, they could eat with us even though they're staying in a hotel. for free. When I talked to our Wish Manager, he offered them the option of staying in our villa free, too. GKTW's phone #407-396-1114 Just ask them how much it costs and hopefully they will step up with an offer for DMIL.
I'm going to try to PM you a picture after I finish this post, I'm not doing too well on the techie front lately. If it doesn't come through, look for a short round woman with a tall moustached husband, a disgruntled teen and a chatty DD with a bob. Boy, I do I hope that picture comes through!

Quote:
So I was wondering when everybody else recieved their packages before the trip?
Hi Winnielover, to the boards to you too! We just got our package Monday, and we drive to the airport Saturday!! It's rough to wait so long, believe me, but they have put everything into a little bound brochure, with the hotel name, reservation #, Google Map, and instructions for the Park and Fly shuttle. They even tell us when to arrive at the airport and how to pack, what kind of rental car is reserved, current TSA guidelines,everything. They have every detail stone cold solid. My DH is feeling much more secure about everything, so now I don't have to know it all. *just look in Ally's Wish booklet, it's in there!* It IS really cool, truly.
BTW, how old is DD? DS is 17, so I will try to post the things he liked about GKTW right away after we get back so you will know.

Quote:
after reading the many reassuring posts on this thread, I think I'm lightening up about it a little. (I have control issues! )
Camster0307, I think we all have control issues. That is why we are here.
__________________
Kirsten

DH- 43, DL 2x
me- 38 DL 8x
DS- 17 DL 4x
DD- 8 DL 4x (Wish kid)
First Trip to WDW October 21-28 2007!!!

Link to my TR:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post21543422
Momof2wCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:01 AM   #122
LeeLee2U
DIS Veteran
 
LeeLee2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Great State of TEXAS
Posts: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamac View Post
Hi all.
Thanks to Bill for letting me know that this exsisted!
My DD was just granted a wish...we haven't really made any specific plans yet. We're actually going to have to put her wish on hold for a while. DD has Tuberous Sclerosis and has uncontrolled seizures that have recently gotten worse. Meds aren't helping, so now she's being considered for surgery. We're going to have a lot of hospital stays and testing over the next several months. Which will just make our trip that much sweeter, I'm sure!
So, my planning is on hold, but I really enjoy reading everyone's reports!!
I may not be posting much for a while, but I'll be lurking!
Much love to everyone!!!
Misty
We'll be here for you. Just to lend an ear, err... I guess you'd say an eye??? Let us know how things are going every now and then, please? And you can start pre-planning which is what I did, before we got our dates. You can start looking at places you might want to eat at and start looking up the diff. shows and rides to decide which ones ya'llmight want to hit. If there's one that you're not sure about, I found youtube a great place to preview some of the rides and shows. I even let my kids watch some of them to help prepare them. This really helped with Fantasmic as the noise and lights really freaked Braeton out at first.
Will be sending prayers and you're way!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnielover View Post
Hi All!!! I'm new to Disboards. Well actually not all that new. I've been following along a lot of the Make A Wish Trip stories but have finally got myself signed up. I'm not very computer related so you will all have to bare with me while I try to figure this out!! I'll be leaving on my daughters Make A Wish trip on November 10. We will be gone through to the 18th. We are all very excited to be going.

We are actually taking the wish through children's wish foundation of Canada. Since here in Canada they don't have A Make A wish Foundation or at least one that I'm familiar with anyways.

We will be staying at Give Kids the World as well. We are all really excited about that. It sounds like such an amazing place. Although my daughter is older so we don't know how much time we will be spending at GKTW. I'm sure we'll check out the christmas party and get our pictures taken with mickey. After that I'm not sure what else we will do. I know there's a movie theatre but we where wondering if they play movies that are for teenagers? Because I'm not to sure my daughter would like watching barney or rugrats, if you know what I mean. The swimming pool also sounds fun and we plan on spending lots of time cooling down in there.

All your pre-trip reports have sure been helping me out with things we should do and everything I need to buy. Although I have to say we are definitely a wing it kind of family so I'm pretty sure most things won't be planned out. We did buy our 1.30$ poncho's at Wal-mart and are set with hats and bathing suits. I know there is a Wal-Mart down the street from GKTW so I figure I'll be able to buy anything we might forget from there.

We talked with our wish coordinators yesterday and they said our package isn't in yet with our tickets etc. So I was wondering when everybody else recieved their packages before the trip? It's three weeks from our trip so we still have time, but I would feel better if that darn package came in and we had some idea's of what was happening. We also haven't met out wish granters. I have talked to them on the phone many times but we have never had a chance to meet these lovely people. We plan on getting together with them soon if everything works out.

Well, Thats about all the questions I have right now. I'm sure I'll think of more as the days grow closer.

Thanks everyone!!!
WELCOME!!!!! Hey thats what this is for!!! Ask away!!!

i recieved my package at the airport!!!! We stayed at a Disney resort and we recieved our tickets, luggage tags for the Disney transportation to recognize, all our room info, our spending money etc....less than an hour before we flew away!!!
And it all worked out great!! I was bery stressed about getting it and it worked out just fine, except for the fact that I had to pay Disney prices for sunscreen and stuff I wasn't able to get w/out the expense money. But they allowed for those prices and we even had money left. And trust me, I was NOT a tight wad!!!!!
__________________

OFFICIAL DISLAND DIRECTOR OF INSPIRATION


Wish Trippers Unite home Page
"Those that mind don't matter. Those that matter don't mind." Dr.SEUSS

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. PSALM 121:1-2

Please Don't Take Your Organs to Heaven.
Heaven Knows We Need Them Here!
LeeLee2U is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-18-2007, 08:14 AM   #123
Iluvmickeymouse!
Proud mama to a DD who beat HLH
 
Iluvmickeymouse!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2wCF View Post
Karla, I'd call GKTW, because when my DM talked to them, they said if the wish organization okayed it, they could eat with us even though they're staying in a hotel. for free. When I talked to our Wish Manager, he offered them the option of staying in our villa free, too. GKTW's phone #407-396-1114 Just ask them how much it costs and hopefully they will step up with an offer for DMIL.

I'm going to try to PM you a picture after I finish this post, I'm not doing too well on the techie front lately. If it doesn't come through, look for a short round woman with a tall moustached husband, a disgruntled teen and a chatty DD with a bob. Boy, I do I hope that picture comes through!
love your description!!!!!

Just called GKTW....MIL is not down as staying with us!!! Got to call our wish coord.....but they did say that she would eat free staying there with us.
Iluvmickeymouse! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #124
Momof2wCF
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 133

Quote:
Just called GKTW....MIL is not down as staying with us!!!
Akkk! Good thing you called! Glad they okayed food, I think the staying thing is just a formality, b/c it won't cost them any extra for DMIL to stay in your villa. They offered that option to my parents just 10 days ago, so that would be pretty last minute Hope your Wish Coordinator hops right on it, though, so you can relax!
__________________
Kirsten

DH- 43, DL 2x
me- 38 DL 8x
DS- 17 DL 4x
DD- 8 DL 4x (Wish kid)
First Trip to WDW October 21-28 2007!!!

Link to my TR:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post21543422
Momof2wCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #125
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald
 
alizesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochranton, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,245

Curious, does GKTW hand out GACs or did you get them at the park? How far is the master bedroom from the kid's room in the villas. I would really like to post pictures with my report but I must have been really bad somewhere. I have never had the right to post attachments. PMed one of the moderators with no answer. PMed the webmaster, no answer. Maybe you shouldn't hang out with me Karen
__________________
Mom to Gilbete', Jeanette, Andrea, Ben, Alize and Brady (with God), Ciara and Brian. Grandmother to seven.
alizesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #126
wendygrace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 948

Welcome to the new people!


Quote:
Originally Posted by alizesmom View Post
Curious, does GKTW hand out GACs or did you get them at the park? How far is the master bedroom from the kid's room in the villas. I would really like to post pictures with my report but I must have been really bad somewhere. I have never had the right to post attachments. PMed one of the moderators with no answer. PMed the webmaster, no answer. Maybe you shouldn't hang out with me Karen
If I remember correctly, we received our GAC's for US and WDW from GKTW. I did have to get the stamp for stroller as a wheelchair at Guest Services for WDW. I don't remember for US. The Master bedroom and Kid's room in our suite were adjacent to each other. You walk into the living room which leads into the kitchen/dining area with a swift turn down a small hall that has the master bedroom on one side and the laundry and small bathroom across from it followed by the kids bedroom at the end of the hall and the big bathroom attached by a door to the kids bedroom. I assume they have a few different models though as several different companies voluteered to build the villas and they have such different designs on the outside.

I think you can't post picture until you have 100 posts. So start posting!!
__________________
Wendy
My Make-A-Wish Trip Report...Picture Update Page 30-31
Wish Trippers...Unite!
Wish Trippers Unite Volume Two!

Just believe and if you imagine, Just believe and your dreams will come true
wendygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #127
Eeyore's Mom
Mouseketeer
 
Eeyore's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendygrace View Post

I think you can't post picture until you have 100 posts. So start posting!!
No, that can't be it because I have been able to post pictures on my pre- trip report and I don't have 100 post yet. I know you have to have a min. number of post to PM someone (10-20?) but I don't think the picture has a limit. Sorry, this isn't much help

For all of you that didn't get your information packet until the last minute (week) did you know the time of your flight ahead of time? This makes a big difference in our planning. If it's early we will have to stay overnight in Anchorage but if it's later in the day we can leave from home. Everyone has been REALLY nice at MAW here but for some reason I have the hardest time calling and asking these questions. I feel like I am being a pain or ungrateful.

I love the comment about being here because we have control issues. SO TRUE!!
__________________
Jill
4000 miles to see a mouse and I can't wait!
Pre-trip report






Last edited by Eeyore's Mom; 10-18-2007 at 02:08 PM. Reason: poor english skills!
Eeyore's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #128
Iluvmickeymouse!
Proud mama to a DD who beat HLH
 
Iluvmickeymouse!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's Mom View Post
For all of you that didn't get your information packet until the last minute (week) did you know the time of your flight ahead of time? This makes a big difference in our planning. If it's early we will have to stay overnight in Anchorage but if it's later in the day we can leave from home. Everyone has been REALLY nice at MAW here but for some reason I have the hardest time calling and asking these questions. I feel like I am being a pain or ungrateful.

I love the comment about being here because we have control issues. SO TRUE!!
All I can say is CALL THEM!!! I knew about our airline times because I called them, plus MIL had to get her ticket. Once we found out our times, it was necessary for us to stay overnight in Minneapolis, which MAW is paying for. So just call!!! They may not have even looked at flights yet. I know.. I know... But it took persistance by me to finally get them around to doing something with our flights. I do remember that they did ask for preferences on what time we wanted to leave and come back.


Control issues...who me?...nah...
Iluvmickeymouse! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #129
Camster0307
DIS Veteran
 
Camster0307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,532

Our MAW wouldn't book our flights until they checked with me first. They gave me choices of time that I preferred to leave - that was nice!
Camster0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #130
Winnielover
Earning My Ears
 
Winnielover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 49

More Questions and Many thanks!!

Thanks to everyone who posted information. This helps out a lot!!!!!

I feel much better knowing that people didn't get their packages till just before the trip. I think I just might be able to breathe a sigh of relief for the moment

Momof2wCF: My DD is 16years old. So I would love to hear about all the things your DS liked at GKTW and also at any of the theme parks. I hear there is so much to do and I know we won't get it all done. But hopefully we can all pick out some stuff we really want to see and start with that first.

From reading these posts I've heard about something called a GACs. I was curious to what that was? And does GKTW supply it? Sorry if these questions have already been answered!

Also, one last question before I leave. Has anyone ever heard of a Dole Whip? If so could you please explain to me what this is? So many people have told me we have to try it. Yet I'm not quite sure where to get this or what it is.

Thanks everyone!! Sorry for all the questions!!!!

Last edited by Winnielover; 10-20-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Winnielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #131
LindaBabe


DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Upstate NY transplanted to NW Georgia
Posts: 10,292

Dole whip is pineapple juice and soft serve -or maybe fresh pineapple soft serve is a better description. or both. IT's YUMMY
__________________
LindaBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #132
Holly Sox
Mouseketeer
 
Holly Sox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnielover View Post
Hi All!!! I'm new to Disboards. Well actually not all that new. I've been following along a lot of the Make A Wish Trip stories but have finally got myself signed up. I'm not very computer related so you will all have to bare with me while I try to figure this out!! I'll be leaving on my daughters Make A Wish trip on November 10. We will be gone through to the 18th. We are all very excited to be going.

We are actually taking the wish through children's wish foundation of Canada. Since here in Canada they don't have A Make A wish Foundation or at least one that I'm familiar with anyways.

We will be staying at Give Kids the World as well. We are all really excited about that. It sounds like such an amazing place. Although my daughter is older so we don't know how much time we will be spending at GKTW. I'm sure we'll check out the christmas party and get our pictures taken with mickey. After that I'm not sure what else we will do. I know there's a movie theatre but we where wondering if they play movies that are for teenagers? Because I'm not to sure my daughter would like watching barney or rugrats, if you know what I mean. The swimming pool also sounds fun and we plan on spending lots of time cooling down in there.

All your pre-trip reports have sure been helping me out with things we should do and everything I need to buy. Although I have to say we are definitely a wing it kind of family so I'm pretty sure most things won't be planned out. We did buy our 1.30$ poncho's at Wal-mart and are set with hats and bathing suits. I know there is a Wal-Mart down the street from GKTW so I figure I'll be able to buy anything we might forget from there.

We talked with our wish coordinators yesterday and they said our package isn't in yet with our tickets etc. So I was wondering when everybody else recieved their packages before the trip? It's three weeks from our trip so we still have time, but I would feel better if that darn package came in and we had some idea's of what was happening. We also haven't met out wish granters. I have talked to them on the phone many times but we have never had a chance to meet these lovely people. We plan on getting together with them soon if everything works out.

Well, Thats about all the questions I have right now. I'm sure I'll think of more as the days grow closer.

Thanks everyone!!!
Winnie Lover,

We'll be there at the same time! My son Cody (my wish kid) is 16... we arrive on 11/5 and leave on 11/11. So, maybe we will meet on your 1st day down. 2 1/2 weeks for us!!!!!!



Holly
Holly Sox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #133
patticake3
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 66

Ooh, I am so glad to find this! Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas and info. Sending positive thoughts to everyone! I have a lot of reading to do, but have made some progress! My son Joey (he's 13 and had a heart transplant a little over a year ago - I can't even believe it's been that long!) put in for a wish to go to Disney during ESPN weekend in March, but stay at the Hard Rock Hotel. Kind of interesting, huh?! We haven't heard back yet so we don't know if it has been approved. His first 2 wishes (related to the Yankees - he's a huge fan), didn't come through, but we haven't been to Disney since the kids were little, so we're all excited about this idea. I'm anxious to find out if they have approved it, but don't want to drive the Make A Wish rep nuts (yet), so I'm trying to keep myself from calling (again). I want to start planning, but I won't get started until I know it's been approved. Until then, I'll keep reading and learning!

I do have some questions, but will be back later with them! I am still not dressed! I am meeting a friend for lunch today and I'm still in my bathrobe, glued to the computer! Thanks again for all the info - I am taking notes!
-Patti
patticake3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #134
LindaBabe


DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Upstate NY transplanted to NW Georgia
Posts: 10,292

Winnielover, what kind of shopping did you want to do? I wouldn't say Cocoa Beach is exactly a shopping mecca - except for Ron Jon's surf shop.
__________________
LindaBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #135
Camster0307
DIS Veteran
 
Camster0307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,532

Welcome to the thread Patticake3

When you're ready -- ask away! I've learned so much here. My daughter's wish trip is Nov.24th; staying our whole week at the Boardwalk Inn at Disney. Once you get confirmation of your wish, start planning - that's half the fun!

BTW - I'm a Jersey girl too -- born and raised! (just stuck living in here in Mass. for the past 15 years! My girls and I are still die-hard Yankee fans though! (going to miss Joe )
Camster0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: