Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #751
Iluvmickeymouse!
Proud mama to a DD who beat HLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mskanga View Post
OK I have a question for all of you trippers.....has any of you gone on a MAW trip to Disneyland in California ? If so what was included ?
I got news on my daughter's trip today and I am a bit confused. It seems that our trip is six days long including travel days and they only give us two days tickets for DL and one day ticket for Knottsberry farm , nothing else according to our chapter here.
Everyone I know gets seven days including travel days , I just don't understand it.
I don't know of anyone who has. Sorry! I would call and ask. Just tell them that you have met other wish families and that you know how long their trips were and why yours is shorter....tell them "just out of curiousity" because you don't want to sound ungrateful!! See what they say. Can you extend the trip on your own dime? We did and I know some other families have. That might be a possibility for you. Let us know what you find out. Oh.....we would love to read a trip report regarding a wish family and DL!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4ngls View Post
Well, I can tell you that each chapter has their own rules/guidelines. My daughter desperately wanted to go on the Costa Maya cruise, because she studied about the trades with the Mayans this year and she wanted to see the ruins. I've read other stories of wishes being granted for 7 day cruises, so I asked her wish coordinators about it, and learned that THIS chapter's guidelines only allow them to send children on 3 or 4 day Disney cruises, which means Nassau only. She could go on a different cruise line and see Mayan ruins with a 5 day cruise, but she really wanted the Disney experience, so she decided that was most important to her.

I was disappointed for her that she is unable to see the ruins, but gosh, I don't think we could ever afford a cruise ourselves, so we're just so very grateful to be able to go anywhere. Come to find out, the cruise over my DD's birthday (and Mother's Day) stops at Castaway Cay twice, so that's just icing on our cake!!!

I hope you are able to get more time for your daughter, but if not, I hope you are able to push this out of your head, so you can just enjoy this amazing trip without feeling left out.
I wish they had a "hitting my head...in a DUH moment" smilie....I am heading over to read your TR right now....I saw it on your siggy the last time you posted and forgot to click on it! Only five days?!?!?!? WOW!! I bet your family is EXCITED!!!!! I can't wait to read all about it....oooohhhh....and pics...would love to see lots of pics from the cruise (I sooooo want to do one!!) Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Iluvmickeymouse!; 05-05-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Iluvmickeymouse! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #752
Mskanga
Can speak and read 4 languages fluently! The TF is impressed!
In need of tube riding lessons for the water slide!
Yo quiero ir a WDW
Prefers reading tags to threads!

That has actually crossed my mind but I just got a call from the volunteer and when I told her what happened this morning she said that her book of guidelines for disneyland trips says something different from what I was told this morning so I am hoping that the girl made a mistake , the volunteer is checking up on that , we shall see what happens after she talks to them. I have no clue , I am so confused now.....
Mskanga is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #753
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

Quote:
That has actually crossed my mind but I just got a call from the volunteer and when I told her what happened this morning she said that her book of guidelines for disneyland trips says something different from what I was told this morning so I am hoping that the girl made a mistake , the volunteer is checking up on that , we shall see what happens after she talks to them. I have no clue , I am so confused now.....
I hope and pray that you get more days. Let us know how it turns out and have a magical time. Karen
Old 05-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #754
Queenie122
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmickeymouse! View Post
Queenie.....how's bella doing??????? I hope she is feeling better so that you can leave in 5 days!!!
Great news!!

Bella is feeling better and her mouth is recovering nicely from weirdo virus. She's been eating since Sunday and we sent her to school yesterday. Yay! None of the rest of us got sick (thankyouthankyouthankyou).

Even better news - took her to the ENT yesterday for our final trip approval. For those who don't know, she was having some fluid issues in her ear, the possibility of needing surgery to have tubes put in was mentioned. I've been scared to death that she would need another surgery and also she would have discomfort flying. We told out Wish team that we might need to drive at the last minute and they said that could be arranged. But really, who wants to spend three miserable days of their vacation driving?

Anyway, back to the doctor yesterday. We've been giving her nasal spray every day to help try to clear up the ears. Keeping the head of her bed upright too. She has never passed an ear test... UNTIL YESTERDAY!!! Her ears are better than they have ever been!!!! Totally clear!!! And now she can actually hear you when you speak to her! No tubes needed and she's clear to fly!!!!

Yeah, just a little excited.

Last night our Wish team came by. We got our boarding passes. We found out a freaking LIMO is picking up up Saturday to drive us to the airport!! We got Make a Wish hats and Tshirts (which don't fit) which we are instructed to wear and a cool Make a Wish bag. Special Genie Wish stickers and a Genie hat from Disney too, a Disney book (last years Birnhams) and a planning DVD too. Like we don't have that already! They also gave us a disposable camera which we'll let Bella take pictures with. Should be interesting to see what a three year old takes a picture of.

They also gave us our expense check. AND IT WAS $500 MORE THAN WE THOUGHT WE WERE GETTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our check was for a little over $1200. My brother's plane ticket came out of there (which he already paid us for) so it was $1500 to start. Crazy!!

We're so excited now, I can't even put into words how excited we are. Haven't had a real vacation as a family in forever, maybe never depending on what you count as vacation.

It's going to be hot, 90 degrees but we don't care. Heat, rain, locust infestation, we don't care. We are going to have so much fun

Queenie122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #755
Camster0307
DIS Veteran

Yeah Queenie!

So glad to hear that things are falling right into place and, best of all, that Bella is feeling so much better! You're going to have an amazing trip!

Funny you mention the shirts from MAW not fitting..... are they too big or too small? Ours were HUGE! We never wore them. Being the obsessive planner I am, I, of course, had coordinating outfits to wear each day! Just make sure your buttons are visible and you'll be fine!

Have a magical time!
Camster0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #756
momof4ngls
Mouseketeer

In our trip information from MAW, they suggested that on the last day of the cruise, we head to Downtown Disney if we have time. I have no clue what Downtown Disney is. Can somebody please enlighten me on what is there, if we pay a fee for entrance, etc. Is there some way to find out what is going on there that week? How late is it open (I'm wondering if we should consider it the night before the cruise as well)?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #757
Iluvmickeymouse!
Proud mama to a DD who beat HLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4ngls View Post
In our trip information from MAW, they suggested that on the last day of the cruise, we head to Downtown Disney if we have time. I have no clue what Downtown Disney is. Can somebody please enlighten me on what is there, if we pay a fee for entrance, etc. Is there some way to find out what is going on there that week? How late is it open (I'm wondering if we should consider it the night before the cruise as well)?
Downtown Disney is a shopping/entertainment/eating area. We mainly go there for the shopping. It has the largest world of Disney store. Earl of Sandwiches is a good place to eat there. There is no entry cost for that "side" of DTD. Pleasure Island is where the entertainment venues are, nightclubs, etc. I think Cirque de Soliel is in that area. There are restaraunts on the West Side. I hope I am getting all the names right....we normally just do the shopping end of DTD and have never really ventured beyond that. Search on Disney's website, there should be info there.
Iluvmickeymouse! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #758
Mskanga
Yo quiero ir a WDW

Downtown Disney is like a boardwalk with tons of stores , restaurants and play areas , my kids LOVE going there.
We also got a message today that our MAW trip to California is for seven days !!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. We are staying on property for six nights , I don't care about the rest ......it is going to be a wonderful trip after the year from hell.....I just know it !
Old 05-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #759
Queenie122
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster0307 View Post
Yeah Queenie!

So glad to hear that things are falling right into place and, best of all, that Bella is feeling so much better! You're going to have an amazing trip!

Funny you mention the shirts from MAW not fitting..... are they too big or too small? Ours were HUGE! We never wore them. Being the obsessive planner I am, I, of course, had coordinating outfits to wear each day! Just make sure your buttons are visible and you'll be fine!

Have a magical time!
Well, ours are size medium and I probably haven't worn a medium since high school! Hubby has never worn a medium, lol.

And my little bitty petite size 2T daughter has a child's small which is 10-12!
Queenie122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #760
momof4ngls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Downtown Disney is like a boardwalk with tons of stores , restaurants and play areas , my kids LOVE going there.
We also got a message today that our MAW trip to California is for seven days !!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. We are staying on property for six nights , I don't care about the rest ......it is going to be a wonderful trip after the year from hell.....I just know it !
Oh, I am SO glad for you!!! I'm sure it will truly be a magical time for you! And yes, I can sure relate to the break from a nightmare year!! Have a WONDERFUL time!!!

Thank you also for the information on DTD. Thank you all for the information on DTD!! Maybe we'll be able to spend a little time there. :D
Old 05-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #761
twinmum
DIS Veteran

Queenie: Hooray ! I am SO happy that Bella is well and you are heading off for a wonderful time as a fmaily. We'll look froward to hearing all about it!

Mskanga: Another hooray for 7 days! I can't remember the details about your wish child...but I'll just mention that we went to DL last December with our twin boys, one of whom has cerebral palsy and uses a walker/wheelchair. Please let me know if you have any questions you think I might be able to answer. When do you find out where you are staying?

I was welcomed to this thread so kindly last week when I told you our son has been accepted into a wish granting program...and since then I've been swamped. As soon as I can, I'll be abck with answers on walking with quad canes etc. (I have to go back and find the questions!)

Be back as soon as I can!

Twinmum
twinmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:28 AM   #762
bex271
Mouseketeer

Queenie: i'm glad that bella is feeling better and healing. Hooray on no tubes in the ears. I know y'all are going to have a wonderful time

MsKanga: that's great about the 7 days

becca
bex271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:58 AM   #763
Mskanga
Yo quiero ir a WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmum View Post
Mskanga: Another hooray for 7 days! I can't remember the details about your wish child...but I'll just mention that we went to DL last December with our twin boys, one of whom has cerebral palsy and uses a walker/wheelchair. Please let me know if you have any questions you think I might be able to answer. When do you find out where you are staying?
My daughter was granted her wish back in November but they didn't start booking things until just March because we wanted to be done with her chemo for a while before we went , she also had a knee replacement which made her be wheelchair bound for months and just now she is starting to walk with a walker. I expect by the time we go to DLR that she will still be using the wheelchair at times because she will get tired but I also know that she will be much stronger then .
I don't know where we are staying other than on property , that was my daughter's only request because disney is her "comfort zone" and they said they would know which hotel two weeks before the trip , I truly don't care , wherever they put us I am sure we will have a great time.
If you have any suggestions for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #764
lotferg
Always planning...

Queenie, I am SO happy that Bella's well enough to go! Yipee! That is wonderful news...

We just got a phone call today from MAW, and are getting more than we expected, too! I've been saving money to cover extra expenses. Maybe I can use that to pay for the $3.89 gas here in Michigan!
08/2002 - Off-site
08/2005 - Off-site
08/2007 - All-Star Movies (will never stay off-site again!)
05/2008 - GKTW
08/2010 - Contemporary
"Finding Cancer's Cure by way of Disney" Evan's Wish Trip Report, http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1807501

lotferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #765
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotferg View Post
Maybe I can use that to pay for the $3.89 gas here in Michigan!
Ouch...I was whining over $3.48, but then again I have five kids and need a large vehicle (Suburban) and had to put 30 gallons in the other day...more than $100 for one tank...woe is me

Glad to hear that everyone is pleased with the way their trips are coming together. I know I was surprised with the amount I received as well. It really does make it a much more pleasant experience when you have a little jingle in your pocket!

Elisa
5dwarves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: