Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #31
Pez Pez
Mouseketeer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Lin View Post
We always got a double stroller for free, no questions asked. There was plenty of room for Lysi (5 1/2), our shoulder bags, the big GKTW video camera bag and other things. I will give you a heads up though. Universal has single strollers with steering wheels. They were really too short for Lysi, who would have had to scrunch up her legs to fit, but it took a LOT of convincing to get her to accept an "ordinary" double stroller. When you park hop, you leave the stroller at one park, and using your receipt, pick one up at the other park. At Universal/ Island of Adventure we were allowed to take our stroller from one park to the other.

We would have had plenty of room for a small cooler, but did not try as we know the theme parks REALLY frown on outside food. We snuck granola bars and such things in by putting them in our pockets. The bag check people were really in a hurry and did not seem to have time to be food inspectors. They were clearly only interested in safety concerns.

Did I say, I LOVE DISNEY WORLD? I feel like I am still on my Disney Honeymoon or something. I am still pretty starry eyed about it.

A GKTW breakfast (Waffles!) filled us up enough that we did not need a lot of snacks. I mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: We ate every breakfast (or Continental) at GKTW and ate dinner elsewhere only on our long day at MK and our long day at Epcot/ MGM. We only did one character meal (the Super Bowl of Character meals at the Castle) and our other meals were at counter service places, kind of a cross between fast food and a family restaurant. We seriously did not ever pay more than $10.00 each for a meal, counting our beverage, except for at the Castle.

MK has a small selection of counter service places (we did the Columbia Harbor House-closes at 5:00) but if you can't find counter service you like at Epcot, I don't know what to say. There is cuisine for every taste.... just find the right country. I am a veteran of DL and have never been one to do "sit down" dinners there due to a desire to maximize ride time. "Save eating for a non-Disney day" was my motto. I was a bit put off by the term "counter service" versus "sit down restaurant" in all the guides. The fact is that at every "counter service" place we visited we went inside and sat down at a table. The "counter" meant that we had to go up to a counter to order the food, but the counters were inside the restaurants and the eating areas were nice.
Great advice. I have decided (for now) to take a small cooler and using the strollers there. I agree with eating at GKTW as much as you can and eating at the park as quick and inexpensive as you can. I am not traveling to Florida from Oregon to sit around and eat Although I will be eating plenty of Ice Cream (GKTW) and the Dole thingys that I keep reading about. Oh and did I mention I would also like to do the buffet at Chef Mickey and can't wait for Christmas dinner....errrr...maybe I am going to sit around and eat in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendygrace View Post
As for spending money, I think most of us don't post specifics is because each chapter provides a different amount. What I can tell you is that we did not spend a penny of our own money and had some left over at the end of the trip that we were allowed to keep and I purchased more WDW souvenirs from home. I think most people have similiar experiences. I'll tell you also that they do expect you to eat a couple of meals at GKTW so I planned for only one meal at the parks and not always sit down.

don't apologize for asking questions. Ask away! That's why we are all still here even after our trips are passed!
I am an accounting major, so I like numbers I am also a budget minded gal and like to begin planning/saving early that is the only reason behind my specifically asking. I don't want to compare chapters but just be prepared, since everyone spends/saves differently I read in your story that you had money left over, it is truly awesome that you didn't have one worry about money while away. I am so grateful for everthing this experience has brought us already and I haven't even been to Florida yet.

I can't PM yet, so thanks to all who sent me messages regarding expense. I got them, I am just not "old" enough to reply
Wifey to Angel

Gobbled by VegasNative
Pez Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #32
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Money

How we saved money:
1) Eat at GKTW often (and a LOT)
2) Buy souvenirs at the Wal-Mart and Flea Market near the Village (although we bought something at each theme park except AK which kicked everyone at closing before we could spend money there.
3) We did not drive to the beach and spent very little on gas (even with getting sort of lost a couple of times that added a few miles on)
4) We did only one character meal and did not do any of the dinner theater options (Like the Pirates Dinner Adventure or Medieval Times), although we did this more to save time and energy than to save money.

We did try really hard to spend what money we had left after the flea market by buying souvenirs at the cool Universal and Sea World gift shops at the airport. We still had money left after for mailing my son's birthday present to Iraq and for almost a tank of gas.
Bill_Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #33
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

A Wish, a Dream, A Magic PLACE

Here is a poem I wrote tonight, reflecting on the journey from cancer to the Magic Kingdom:

A WISH, A DREAM, A MAGIC PLACE

Beautiful baby
Born to laugh
Smile and play

But pain
Swept into your world
Like a hurricane

How powerless
My father's soul
Unable to protect

Gladly would I
Have ripped out my very heart
To save you

I remember your infant eyes
Locked with mine
As they carried you away

But heroes came
With scalpels
And healing hands

Through long nights
Of chemical sickness
They cared for you

Prayers took root
And grew like wildflowers
Into a garden of life

You grew
And healed
Despite the odds

Then came the call
On Angel's wings
To fly you to a magic place

Castle doors opened for you
Smiles and gifts awaited you
In that land of wonder

It is a place
Built of dreams
Founded on love

Because of you
And all you overcame
I shared that dream with you

I will never forget
Your Princess eyes
Filled with delight and joy

How beautiful the hands
That give and serve
And build a gift so magical

Greeted by a whale
And her splashing tale
Dolphins feasting from your hand

Princesses in regal bliss
Stooped to bestow a royal kiss
And speak with hope filled words

Invited to dance and sing
To celebrate a Lion King
In your own joyous style

The magic donkey spoke
And shared a joke
That made you forever friends

You saw the world
And pyrotechnics swirled
To bring your magic journey to a close

Now we look back
And hold those images
Of magic in our hearts

The love and joy
We planted there
With tears of happiness

Will grow in time
In song and rhyme
Into a legendary tale
Old 10-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #34
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

On a lighter note

Am I the only one who keeps getting in trouble. First it was pictures too big, then it was sending messages too fast, next it was too many icons in a post, now it was my signature that was TOO BIG. The monitors are always very polite in pointing out my boo boos, however.

We get only 12 lines (counting spaces) and only 3 images. I got a bit carried away and had 12 images and about 20 lines. I am back in conformity now, though. It is hard not to get carried away with Disney fever and over do it.

When you edit a post it asks for a reason for editing. Is anyone else tempted to write something funny there? I usually say something like gross incompetence, or failure to read the directions (but then I am a man and we don't read directions or ask for them either).

Oh my goodness! I had to edit even this post because of an error. Now that is FUNNY.

Last edited by Bill_Lin; 10-12-2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: failure to read the directions (but then I am a man and we don't read directions or ask for them either)
Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 PM   #35
wendygrace
DIS Veteran

Bill, you just crack me up! Know, I have yet to get into trouble. I'm a good girl. (where's that angelic smilie when you need it!). I very rarely, if ever, put a "reason" down. I expect you to read my mind.

I'm off to bed. Good night!
Wish Trippers Unite Volume Two!

Just believe and if you imagine, Just believe and your dreams will come true
wendygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:07 AM   #36
Pez Pez
Mouseketeer

Talking Trouble

Bill,

My very first post got me in trouble and so did my 4th. (((trying to word so it doesn't get me in trouble again))) Books....I wanted some books...specifically on fun things in Florida. I wanted to have some used un-official ones with coupons. Since we are at the end of 2007, I thought many would like to dispose of them for a potential monetary reward.
Are you getting my silly game of charades???
I was kindly reminded that buying/selling is not allowed on these boards. It's a shame because all of the fanatics on here probably have a library full of ones we could pass around. I would even promise to pay it forward. But instead I am off to Feebay and Barnes and Noble. You know how they do the stroller and fridge swap? One day I am going to do the same with books for newbies.
I also got in trouble for being too direct. If I have offended you in my short time here, I truly appologize. I am very direct in my questions and responses and hate to beat around the bush. I usually ask questions that others are afraid/embarassed to ask, because I don't feel any question should be embarassing. There is always one other person in the world wondering the same thing....BTW, this drives my DH crazy
I made it through my first day on this board, lets see if I am revoked by the morning
Wifey to Angel

Gobbled by VegasNative
Old 10-12-2007, 12:11 AM   #37
Pez Pez
Mouseketeer

This is Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Lin View Post
How we saved money:
1) Eat at GKTW often (and a LOT)
2) Buy souvenirs at the Wal-Mart and Flea Market near the Village (although we bought something at each theme park except AK which kicked everyone at closing before we could spend money there.
3) We did not drive to the beach and spent very little on gas (even with getting sort of lost a couple of times that added a few miles on)
4) We did only one character meal and did not do any of the dinner theater options (Like the Pirates Dinner Adventure or Medieval Times), although we did this more to save time and energy than to save money.

We did try really hard to spend what money we had left after the flea market by buying souvenirs at the cool Universal and Sea World gift shops at the airport. We still had money left after for mailing my son's birthday present to Iraq and for almost a tank of gas.
Another awesome Bill post...Thanks!!
Wifey to Angel

Gobbled by VegasNative
Old 10-12-2007, 12:19 AM   #38
Pez Pez
Mouseketeer

Question Tour Guide Mike

Have any of the Wish families used this service? I am just looking for feedback in regards to our experience.

TIA
Wifey to Angel

Gobbled by VegasNative
Old 10-12-2007, 12:30 AM   #39
LeeLee2U
DIS Veteran

O.k. Bill ! I just read your last poem and I'm crying!! That was great!!! I could feel your joy confusion pain heartache and Love for Lysi all at the same time!! Of course after meeting Lyse who could not help but love her?? She truly is a REAL Princess!!!
And Oh Yes Thank You for reading my report! You wrote one so I had to too!!!!

OFFICIAL DISLAND DIRECTOR OF INSPIRATION

Wish Trippers Unite home Page
"Those that mind don't matter. Those that matter don't mind." Dr.SEUSS

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. PSALM 121:1-2

Please Don't Take Your Organs to Heaven.
Heaven Knows We Need Them Here!
LeeLee2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:28 AM   #40
Holly Sox
Mouseketeer

Wow... this is great!!! Thanks, WendyGrace for starting this thread.

We leave in 3 weeks and 3 days for Cody's wish trip. I've introduced myself a couple of times here and there, but this is my "official wish thread" introduction.

(big drum roll.......................)

I am Holly, 41 from South Carolina. I am a registered nurse, which has come in quite handy at home the past 5 years.

DH is Mike, 33. (I was a cradle robber) He is a Pressman with the newspaper here. Our wish trip has been delayed twice this year because of his medical problems and his stubbornness. (not following your surgeon's instructions can have REALLY BAD CONSEQUENCES!!!)

My Wish kid is Cody, who just turned 16 yesterday. He has intractable epilepsy with no surgical options at this time. He is currently on 2 medications, which are the 6th and 7th meds that have been tried. He still has a few seizures every month, which is enough to keep him from driving and keep me from being able to relax.

My younger son is Mikey, who will turn 9 on the day that we arrive at GKTW. We have booked a Wishes celebration cruise (ssh, don't tell him) as a surprise for him. So much of his life has revolved around Cody's illness... I wanted one really special part of this trip to be just about Mikey.

My parents took our family to WDW 3 times (when I was 4, 11 and in college) and I also went with the HS band) Mike and I stayed at Dixie Landings for our honeymoon. This will be our kids' first (probably only) WDW Trip, so I am so excited I can hardly think about anything else.

Looking forward to seeing this thread grow and grow!

Holly in SC
Holly Sox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 AM   #41
Camster0307
DIS Veteran

Hi all! So glad I found this thread also. Have posted a MAW question on another thread, but thinking I should have come here first.

Our MAW trip is at the end of Nov. We're staying at the Boardwalk for our week and getting a 5-day park hopper. We are WDW veterans - been every year since 1998. Our friends thought we were crazy to "waste" our wish going to Disney but I know she truly LOVES going there! If the wish is supposed to be about doing what she wants - I couldn't see going anywhere else!

I, too, am a control freak and am finding it very hard to let someone else handle the details. I have made all our ADRS though - so I know what park we'll be at each day. Haven't gotten my tix for the MVMCP - think I should let MAW do that? Also- I know it's been asked by another poster, but could someone PM me with some idea about the spending money you're given. Everyone says that MAW pays for everything but I know it's not an open-ended budget. Since we're not staying at GKTW, all our meals will be at Disney. I've already paid for the lunch at CRT; and we have our favorite TS restaurants that we're going to for dinner each night. I have NO IDEA how to budget this! Can anyone please give me some idea?
Camster0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #42
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

I'm so excited. MAW volunteer called this morning and wanted to know if we'd like to take Alize to see the Wiggles in concert next Thursday. That is the sort of thing that he loves. I love MAW. Karen
Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #43
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

The Wiggles and Disney Dining Plan

WOW Karen, the WIGGLES! Lysi loves the Wiggles. Their show helped her through a lot of hard times when she was younger. I am so happy for you.

Camster, I have heard that Disney dwellers sometimes have "Disney Dining Plans" that allow for a certain number of dining points for a package price. Some meals take more points than other, such as character meals. Perhaps they will do something along that line.

What did they do about your meals LeeLee?
Old 10-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #44
LeeLee2U
DIS Veteran

The Wiggles!! How Neat!! I'm so happy for ya'll!!

And WELCOME Holly!! God knew jsut what kind of Mom your son needed didn't he!!!????

Camster!! Hey! We just went and stayed at the Beach club. We have some neat pics of the Boardwalk at night! We would sit on the Beach and watch the lights of the Boardwalk. We were on the DDP I would check with your wish foundation and see how they are paying for the meals. I wouldn't ask these types of questions to our WISH org. at first because I didn't want to sound ungratefull.
But most do pay for all your meals and ours did it by buying the dining plan. If yours is just going to give you a certain amount of money you might see if they could add the DDP if available. It's worth it and would save lots of money!!! We had the reg plan which cnsisted of 1 Table Service 1 counter service and 1 snack per person each day. I brought along asuitcase of snacks and breakfast items that we hardly used. The plan sounded like I would need to buy 1meal per day, but there is so much food on this that we actually had 2 CS and 4 snack credits left we we left. I meant to run down and buy some snacks for on the way home, but ran out of time!!! If we ever go again, there are several meals that we know we could share. There was just so much food. Also The snack credit is for items $4.00 and less. If you will look at your resort or other resort shops. You can buy the big bag of chips instead of the little bag, and other things that can last longer than the smaller items. We had 2 days left when I was buying snacks for us and a CM told me You know you can buy the big bag instead of the little one if you want!!
Check and see if this is an option because TRUST me it saved money!!!
Have fun and let us know what works out!!!
We went through the Texas Wishing Well and they truly gave us enough money for everything we wanted and needed!! Down to the tip money!!! We even had some left over!!

OFFICIAL DISLAND DIRECTOR OF INSPIRATION

Wish Trippers Unite home Page
"Those that mind don't matter. Those that matter don't mind." Dr.SEUSS

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. PSALM 121:1-2

Please Don't Take Your Organs to Heaven.
Heaven Knows We Need Them Here!
LeeLee2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #45
Camster0307
DIS Veteran

Thanks Leelee & Bill Lin

I appreciate getting your input. I too feel guilty about asking questions about some things because I don't want to appear ungrateful. But I'm starting to worry - being Disney veterans, there are dining experiences we don't want to miss out on -- so we're doing them. But I have NO IDEA what's going to be paid for. It does sound like the DDP would be more cost efficient. No one has mentioned it yet - so I guess it's up to me to bring it up!

Leelee - Since you stayed on Disney property,do you mind me asking what type of park hopper did they give you? We're staying for 7 days,but they will only give us a 5-day park hopper; won't give us park passes for our travel days. But since Delta has such limited direct flight service from Boston to Orlando, we are arriving on our first day by 11am; and leaving on our last day at 7pm. I can't imagine being at the BW resort on those days and NOT going into Epcot. I really want that 7-day park hopper - it's all we wanted for my daughter's wish was to be able to go to a Disney park every day! Do you think I'm being unreasonable? I just want to make the most of our time there.
Camster0307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: