Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2007, 10:49 PM   #16
AmazingGrace
Life is good, God is great!!!
Born again Texan
Enjoys a good Dole Whip
I saw the "I pooted" one. Made me laugh so hard that I, well, you know, POOTED!!!

Our wish trip report....

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=613041
Day 1

http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=613370
day 2

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=614719
day 4

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=615786
day 5

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=615819
day 6

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=602615
Pictures
Old 10-11-2007, 12:38 AM   #17
wendygrace
DIS Veteran

Loriann, thanks for the links. I can't get Day 2 to load though. I love how the cast member made a special moment for you guys. That's just awesome! Which organization did you go with?
Wish Trippers Unite Volume Two!

Just believe and if you imagine, Just believe and your dreams will come true
wendygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #18
Purple Princess
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up

Thank you to Bill Lin for letting me know about this thread. This is a wonderful idea! We went on DD's Wish trip last November and had a wonderful time and I wanna go back NOW!

I didn't write an actual report on our trip but did reply to many posts asking questions about what to expect etc etc.... If I can help anyone in anyway I'd be more than happy to! Before our trip I came here a lot and got a lot of wonderful information to help ensure our trip ran smoothly. I had a LOT of questions because this was our very first trip ever with DD and most were so kind to help answer my questions and fears.

GKTW is top notch and I advise everyone to stay there if they can. I cannot begin to imagine how our trip would have been without all they did for my family. Angels on earth!

Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories. I am enjoying reading them all. Again if anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to answer the best I can. My girl is in a wheelchair and perhaps I can help those who are in the same boat.

Purple Princess
Old 10-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #19
wendygrace
DIS Veteran

Ya know, Purple Princess, it's never to late to write a Trip Report.

Ok, I've updated links peoples! Please take a look-see!

Old 10-11-2007, 01:51 AM   #20
roseprincess
Proud Redhead
I was a nerd, too in high school
Ok, I gotta run. Oy!

Hi and joining the thread!

My DD, Chrissy, had her MAW trip in June of '04. First and only time DD and DS have ever been to WDW! We had a blast!
I didn't even know about the DISboards until after our wish trip. I had read stuff on the Disney message boards on AOL for awhile, before DD's actual wish trip, unfortunately no MAW trip reports there at the time.
Found the DIS about 3 months after our MAW trip.

That's so cool to have this thread running on the CB board!
I used to frequent the disABILITIES board alot, back in '04 and '05, but have only gotten to that board once in awhile now.

Unfortunately, I don't remember if I ever wrote a TR on the disABILITIES board. I think I did way back when

Well, I'm just so glad to join here

roseprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #21
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Princess View Post
Thank you to Bill Lin for letting me know about this thread. This is a wonderful idea! We went on DD's Wish trip last November and had a wonderful time and I wanna go back NOW!

I didn't write an actual report on our trip but did reply to many posts asking questions about what to expect etc etc.... If I can help anyone in anyway I'd be more than happy to! Before our trip I came here a lot and got a lot of wonderful information to help ensure our trip ran smoothly. I had a LOT of questions because this was our very first trip ever with DD and most were so kind to help answer my questions and fears.

GKTW is top notch and I advise everyone to stay there if they can. I cannot begin to imagine how our trip would have been without all they did for my family. Angels on earth!

Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories. I am enjoying reading them all. Again if anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to answer the best I can. My girl is in a wheelchair and perhaps I can help those who are in the same boat.

Purple Princess
I'm very interested in any input about wheelchairs and Wish Trips. Alize can not transfer though we could probably hold him if the ride doesn't require holding on to something. Karen
Old 10-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #22
AmazingGrace
Life is good, God is great!!!
Born again Texan
Enjoys a good Dole Whip
I saw the "I pooted" one. Made me laugh so hard that I, well, you know, POOTED!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendygrace View Post
Loriann, thanks for the links. I can't get Day 2 to load though. I love how the cast member made a special moment for you guys. That's just awesome! Which organization did you go with?
Here's day 2 again.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=613370

We went with MAW of South Mississippi. They were awesome and I can't say enough about GKTW. Truly magical.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:08 AM   #23
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace... you really NEED to post your wish trip pictures here for us with captions. I checked out your picture link and you have some GREAT shots. I especially loved the closeup of your DD holding a Princess Minnie.

The rest of you veterans, please post some pictures here. If you have not done a Trip Report, this would be a great time. The internet technology now makes it so much easier that it used to be to post pictures. We would all appreciate it. It is a lot of fun to read other folks reports.

Bill
Bill_Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #24
LeeLee2U
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizesmom View Post
I'm very interested in any input about wheelchairs and Wish Trips. Alize can not transfer though we could probably hold him if the ride doesn't require holding on to something. Karen
Karen, (by the way my first name is Karen too!! ) Braeton is in a wheelchair too as I'm sure you know from the title of my trip report!! He can walk some but was not able to most of the trip. his poor little muscles just shut down on him. Anyway while he transferred for most of the rides, just to get out of the chair. I carried him. They would ask Ma'am can he transfer and I would just reply yes it's a transfer. Of course he can sit up on his own. I don't know the extent of your sons ability but on Braeton's "floppy" days as we call them, when I would transfer imout, I just carried him to the ride and he either sat with my arm @ him or between me and his brother. There is a list somewhere of the rides that are wheelchair accesible. I will try to find that for you and post the link. Also there is another TR that someof you may be interested in. It's not her WISH trip report although she did go on one sveral years earlier but it's this past summers report. She is totally w/chair bound with a vent and other equipment. Her TR really gave me a lot of good tips and is the reason why I wanted Braeton to ride Soarin so bad!! I'm glad that we did. It was one of his favorites!
Here it is
Driving 6000 Miles for the Magic:A Miracle Trip*10/6-The Change pg. 39
She is non transferrable and has a lot to say about which rides were easy to get on and which ones weren't!
Hope this helps!!!

OFFICIAL DISLAND DIRECTOR OF INSPIRATION

Wish Trippers Unite home Page
"Those that mind don't matter. Those that matter don't mind." Dr.SEUSS

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. PSALM 121:1-2

Please Don't Take Your Organs to Heaven.
Heaven Knows We Need Them Here!
LeeLee2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #25
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Posted Information

Great tips and help LeeLee, especially on wheelchairs!

I wrote a thread on Wish Trip Planning and one on how to register and post on DISboards for those who come in on a web search and have to learn how to post, paste, etc. like I did.

Please add to these anything that any of you can think we be helpful to Wish Trip Families.

I put the links to these new threads in my signature, as well as a link to THIS site.

Bill

p.s. I am loving this thread!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:05 PM   #26
Iluvmickeymouse!
Proud mama to a DD who beat HLH

My DD4 got the most wonderful box in the mail today!! One of my dearest friends from college sent DD a box from the characters at WDW! There had to have been at least 25 cards, all addressed to DD, signed by the characters. (actually my friend...I can tell her teacher handwriting a mile away!!! ) DD LOVED it!! There were also little presents for her also, a keychain, LOTS of stickers, a couple figurines. It was awesome, all my DD could say was "oh my goodness" over and over again. That definitely added some pixie dust to our upcoming trip!
Iluvmickeymouse! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #27
Iluvmickeymouse!
Proud mama to a DD who beat HLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2wCF View Post
OH MY GOODNESS!! What a SHINER! Hey Karla! I think that was DD's way of making sure we would all recognize her at GKTW! Hmm, THERE'S a little girl with a black eye... Why it's Karla and her family!
I know.....I was going to tell you to look for the little one with the shiner!!!!! That be us!!!! Went to the neurosurgeon today, DD is fine, is going to be fine and can still fly to Orlando!! That last one was because of my know-it-all grandma who said she wouldn't be able to fly now because of her head injury.

Wendy...my DH had actually packed that shirt when he brought us stuff to stay over night. I didn't even think about it when I took the pic. It is a hoot!!!

Last edited by Iluvmickeymouse!; 10-11-2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: just because
Iluvmickeymouse! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #28
Pez Pez
Mouseketeer

Smile Hello from Oregon....

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I posted this to the wrong board, still trying to learn how to do all this.

Hi,
I am new around this board but wanted to thank you all for what you have posted. I have many questions that aren't really specific that your stories are answering. A special thanks to Iluvmickeymouse for all the reading material - I LOVE it!!

My son Trevor (12) has Shone's Syndrome, it is basically a series of Congenital Heart Defects. He has had 5 surgeries in his young life, the first open heart at 2 weeks. I always felt guilty about requesting any "special" services, but he needs all the "special" he can get right now His doctor recognized this and introduced us to Make-A-Wish. Trevor is expected to have a double valve transplant the first of the year and has really been more anxious about his condition since he started Middle School. Trying to convince your child that they are not "different" is harder with age. He is no longer proud of his scar a.k.a "The Zipper" and he begs to play football (no contact sports). Of course I give his positive encouragement and always boot his self esteem, but I am sure you all can understand the constant emotional struggle

I am a huge planner and very detail oriented (this is good and bad) . I have already booked a couple ADR and BBB for Princess Bianca . But, I do wonder how much spending money MAW gives you (I know this can differ) for souvenirs and for meals outside of GKTW? How much of your own money did you spend? We won't be extending our trip at all but I wonder how much I should plan on bringing. I don't see that anyone has posted any specifics, but I am still reading, so I appologize if this is a duplicate question. I found the GKTW website long ago and have it as our homepage right now. Did any of you take your own stroller, or did you use the WDW freebie? If so, could you pack a small collapsable cooler down below with waters to avoid the $2.50/each price that WDW charges?

Trevor is 12 going on 25 so we plan on being at GKTW for the major events, but I worry that he might be bored with too much time there, Bianca would love it though!! So we are planning on visiting Universal and all of the Disney parks - he is already busy customizing his maps

Thanks again for all of your help!!!
Wifey to Angel

Gobbled by VegasNative
Pez Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #29
wendygrace
DIS Veteran

Welcome Rosemarie!

Hi Staci! Welcome!

As for spending money, I think most of us don't post specifics is because each chapter provides a different amount. What I can tell you is that we did not spend a penny of our own money and had some left over at the end of the trip that we were allowed to keep and I purchased more WDW souvenirs from home. I think most people have similiar experiences. I'll tell you also that they do expect you to eat a couple of meals at GKTW so I planned for only one meal at the parks and not always sit down.

We did not bring our own stroller and used the parks'. Our youngest was 3 1/2 yrs old. There are pros and cons with bringing your own. A pro being your youngester can fall asleep on the way out and there is an easy transport from stroller to car seat. The con would be lugging it all over the airport and around Orlando. Its all on preference.

I do believe there was room for a small collapsible cooler in most but I don't remember. We had a backpack we kept our drinks and put it at the kids feet. Allears.net has pictures of the strollers that will help you get some idea of what they are like.

don't apologize for asking questions. Ask away! That's why we are all still here even after our trips are passed!

iluvmickeymouse, I think that pic is a definite scrapbook pic! It is so cool what your friend did! What a great friend you've got!

LeeLee, she is one incredible woman, isn't she! I was impressed with her writing! She has a way with words!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #30
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Stollers and Food

We always got a double stroller for free, no questions asked. There was plenty of room for Lysi (5 1/2), our shoulder bags, the big GKTW video camera bag and other things. I will give you a heads up though. Universal has single strollers with steering wheels. They were really too short for Lysi, who would have had to scrunch up her legs to fit, but it took a LOT of convincing to get her to accept an "ordinary" double stroller. When you park hop, you leave the stroller at one park, and using your receipt, pick one up at the other park. At Universal/ Island of Adventure we were allowed to take our stroller from one park to the other.

We would have had plenty of room for a small cooler, but did not try as we know the theme parks REALLY frown on outside food. We snuck granola bars and such things in by putting them in our pockets. The bag check people were really in a hurry and did not seem to have time to be food inspectors. They were clearly only interested in safety concerns.

Did I say, I LOVE DISNEY WORLD? I feel like I am still on my Disney Honeymoon or something. I am still pretty starry eyed about it.

A GKTW breakfast (Waffles!) filled us up enough that we did not need a lot of snacks. I mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: We ate every breakfast (or Continental) at GKTW and ate dinner elsewhere only on our long day at MK and our long day at Epcot/ MGM. We only did one character meal (the Super Bowl of Character meals at the Castle) and our other meals were at counter service places, kind of a cross between fast food and a family restaurant. We seriously did not ever pay more than $10.00 each for a meal, counting our beverage, except for at the Castle.

MK has a small selection of counter service places (we did the Columbia Harbor House-closes at 5:00) but if you can't find counter service you like at Epcot, I don't know what to say. There is cuisine for every taste.... just find the right country. I am a veteran of DL and have never been one to do "sit down" dinners there due to a desire to maximize ride time. "Save eating for a non-Disney day" was my motto. I was a bit put off by the term "counter service" versus "sit down restaurant" in all the guides. The fact is that at every "counter service" place we visited we went inside and sat down at a table. The "counter" meant that we had to go up to a counter to order the food, but the counters were inside the restaurants and the eating areas were nice.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: