Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Skpnw
Mouseketeer

Grand Velas resorts - Mexico

Hi everyone

My extended family is looking into a family reunion at an all-inclusive. Does anyone have any insight into Grand Velas Riviera Maya or Grand Velas Riveria Nayarit? I have looked on TripAdvisor and read the reviews but I always like to get a "second opinion".

Some details:
10 adults, 10 kids ranging from 1 to 18.

We are also looking into Beaches Turks & Caicos but that is way more expensive.

thanks

Last edited by Skpnw; 08-21-2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: add family details
Skpnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Price and reviews aside.
It sounds like this is and apples-vs-oranges kind of comparison.
No way to really make an effective comparison.
Very different types of resorts.

Will this trip be more adult-relaxed, or would a super active family and kids resort work better?

Also, if the vibe and the things available in the area might be a factor. Riviera Maya would offer some amazing off-resort activities and sights.
We have seen the Mayan Ruins, Snorkeled the Reef Preserve at Puerto Morelos, Spent time on Isla Mujeres, etc.
There are things like Zip lines in the Mexican Jungle, Cenotes, Off Road adventures, etc...

I dont think that Turks and Caicos can come close to the off-resort options on the Rivera Maya.
But, Grace Bay Beach does look AMAZING!

I hear that the food and dining at Grand Velas is unmatched.
But that might be totally lost on the kids (and maybe some of the adults??)

I know that Beaches on Grace Bay is very expensive.
But, so is Grand Velas.
I am surprised to hear that there is such a significant difference in price.

Have you done a lot of searching for the best rates?
Do either of these properties participate in the discounts (often 20%) at CheapTickets.
We booked one trip to Mexico thru this site, and got an amazing rate.
I believe they do have a 20% coupon code right now.
But have recently cut back on the percentage of discounts.
Used to be able to find an occasional 25%
Or even a rare 30% if you sign up for their email alerts.

Last edited by Wishing on a star; 08-21-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Skpnw
Mouseketeer

It is 5 families - some would prefer a more relaxed vacation, while others want the opportunity to go on daily excursions/activities. Ideally, we would like a resort that offers both and we all meet up at one point during the day.

We are spread out all over the US so we are looking at Mexico as it seems to be the cheapest for everyone to fly to (in comparison to the Caribbean).

As for food, some families are a little more basic when it comes to food - not so adventurous.

I looked at Iberostar resorts as well (the ones in Mexico).

I am finding resorts by just googling "family-friendly, all-inclusive resorts *insert geographic area*" - not a very scientific process, but figure it is a start.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
canadianjovigirl
DIS Veteran

We absolutely loved it there. It was a great resort with great food and service. We went to the one in Riviera Maya.

The rooms were amazing as was the service and food - fancier then any all inclusive we have ever been to!!

Beaches Turks & Caicos is on our bucket list, but just cant bring myself to spend that kind of money as we travel over the holidays and that's already a super expensive time.

We have also been to the Palace resorts in Mexico and enjoy those for a much cheaper price - same beach, same sunshine lol
canadianjovigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

From your last comments, I think you might do some more intensive research into what Grand Velas is like.
Well, actually, that is exactly what you are doing!!!!

There are other resorts that would please BOTH those that are looking for more upscale-adult-relaxed... And those that want an active 'fun' type of thing.

While Beaches would probably offer both... There is no doubt that the place is very very huge, packed with kids and 'characters', and the resort 'fun team'... or whatever they call their activities staff.

Are any of the group traveling as an adult-only party?
The big Iberostar complex on the Riviera Maya would offer standard family friendly resorts, right there with the Iberostar Grand.

Maybe that one would be worth looking into.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

I can't comment on the ones in your original post, but we have stayed at several of the Iberostar resorts in various locations and have never been disappointed! We've found them to be very family friendly with lots to do (or not do).

#1 Immortal in Death, #2 Rapture in Death, #3 The Omega Command, #4 The Corpse Reader, #5 Open Season, #6 Ceremony in Death,#7 Vengeance in Death, #8 Holiday in Death, #9 Conspiracy in Death, #10 High Noon, #11 Six Years, #12 Lost in Shangri-la, #13 Multiple Wounds, #14 Sorceress of Belmair, #15 The Shadow Queen, #16 Crown of Destiny, #17 Sweet Liar, #18 Love Only Once, #19 Say You Love Me, #20 No Choice But Seduction, #21 The Magic of You, #22 The Monuments Men, #23 Gentle Rouge, #24 A Drink Before War, #25 Darkness Take My Hand
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
Pugsly
Mouseketeer

While not those cited in your post, we stayed at Velas Vallarta a couple of years ago and really enjoyed ourselves (but it was just DH and I). The resort was beautiful and the food, drink and service exceptional.

14 trips and counting ...
1978-offsite 1998-POFQ 2000-ASMo 2001-ASMo, CSR 2003-ASMo 2003-Hotel Santa Fe (DLP) 2004-ASMo, WL 2008-Pop 2009-Poly 2011-Hilton Grand Vacation Club 2012-Carribbean Beach 2012-Disney Magic Western Carribbean 2013-Grand Californian 2014-AoA

Last edited by Pugsly; 08-21-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Pugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Skpnw
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much!

You all bring up some good points - either Grand Velas might be a little too "fancy" in terms of food for some. Will do some more research.

Also, I will look into off-resort activities - what is around, how safe is it, etc. This will be a major factor in the decision making in order to accommodate those wanting some activities/adventures.

I will look into Iberostar a bit more - just started the research process the other day and feel overwhelmed.

I am one of the "far-flung" families so I am leaning towards Mexico as it is closer and cheaper than the Caribbean, especially when flying with two young children.

I have been to a Sandals resort pre-kids, so Beaches would be nice as it does have everything for all ages but price-wise, it is the most expensive and the most expensive airfare.

We definitely want an all-inclusive so we don't have to worry about food shopping, food prep. Cruises are not an option.

There is only one adult-only family -- our parents.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: