Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2007, 07:12 AM   #16
SweetSpot
DIS Veteran

Great trip report! Alexander from Russia was our asst. server last year. We loved him!! Not only a great server an absolute pleasure to talk to and to get to know. I hope he's still on the ship next month.
SweetSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #17
ibela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSpot View Post
Great trip report! Alexander from Russia was our asst. server last year. We loved him!! Not only a great server an absolute pleasure to talk to and to get to know. I hope he's still on the ship next month.
He said he plans on being on the ship for at least another year so make sure to ask for him!
ibela is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #18
ibela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr00vyChc View Post
Hi Irene! LOVE your trip report! I can't get over how cute and such a happy baby fallon is.... it must be 'coz she has happy and loving parents We loved spending time with u guys I forgot to ask where u live.. I'll pm you and we'll have a talk.

Pauline
Thanks! We loved hanging with you guys too! Please send me the pic of Fallon with Sarah (if you haven't deleted it). Thanks oodles!

Keep an eye out for my pm.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #19
jajomo0118
DIS Veteran

Quote:
He is leaving this week for his break, DH and I had a lovely conversion with him out by the "mickey pool" on the Friday before we left, he has two little girls so I bet he his super excited to go home for awhile.. and he was wonderful.!! My boys already said they miss him...

Hi Irene, Fallon and Eric...
Our 4th Cruise Booked...5nt Disney Wonder Western Caribbean....1/19/14-1/24/14

MOM DAD DS-17 DS-16

jajomo0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #20
ibela
DIS Veteran

Sunday - first sea day

We woke up and the ship was a lot smoother (had been rocky the night before, didn't affect us but many others felt sick). We headed up to Topsiders for breakfast and to the pool.

For those travelling with children not potty trained - you're not allowed in the pool (well you are but your kid won't be) and are limited to 1 ear in the Mickey pool. This ear is pretty small and since no one leaves their child alone (even though the water is only about 1 inch) it can get very crowded very fast. I'd estimate that it can hold about 6 kids + 6 adults comfortably, then it'll get crowded. We only spent a few hrs there a day b/c she was too tempted to go to the Mickey pool. Every 5-10 minutes she'd attempt to climb out of the ear. There were times that she enjoyed the ear though, and sometimes the older kids would go in there too. Here's a pic:

Fallon fell asleep so we figured we'd take advantage and go to Lumiere's for a nice lunch. JUST as we were about to leave she woke up hungry. We asked what they had for kids, they said they can make anything and offered pizza. About 10 minutes later they brought it and apologized for having it take so long, they went to room service for it! Well sheesh, we could've just taken her back upstairs to the pool to eat or ordered something else. How nice.

We caught the matinee showing of Golden Mickeys in case she wouldn't be able to stay up for it after dinner. The show was great and we absolutely loved it!!

We went back to the room to shower and get ready for dinner - formal night tonight. We were a bit slow and missed all the photo ops except for a quick one with Captain Tom. Dinner was in Animator's Palate that night, the "show" was OK, very subtle and our whole table spent 1/2 the night looking for the changes.

After dinner we made it to the photo ops (and scored a free drink too) and a quick stop by Shutters (which became a nightly ritual) before heading back to the room for the night. Erik wanted to catch a movie so we made a deal, I'd stay with her while he went to a movie and the next night I'd go out. hehehe Stay tuned to find out why he got the short end of the stick!

Last edited by ibela; 10-13-2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: pic
Old 10-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #21
ibela
DIS Veteran

Monday - Island Jam, Palo, strolling in PJs

Today was our first day getting a wake-up call, we had Mickey's Island Jam breakfast at 8:15 and today was our day for matching dresses! I was a little nervous because I had only read about the Jam here on the boards and knew about the dancing and was concerned little Fallon would get knocked over by the older kids in their rush to dance with Mickey and pals. No need for concern, Fallon almost pushed them over running to him. She thought it was a photo op, she backed up into his lap and looked confusing trying to find the Shutters photographer:

For us, this breakfast was one of the top highlights of the cruise. The characters were so great with her, when she honked Mickey's nose he honked hers back:

After the breakfast we went to Flounders to check on availabilty - we had been waitlisted for the brunch and they called us the night before to tell us they were a holding a table for us on Monday! A quick check with Flounders confirmed we were all set. Off went Fallon and off we went back to the room to change into Palo brunch clothes. The food was amazing and I was really glad we went because I had been on the fence about brunch. Our waiter, Sylvester, was fantastic and made sure we ate until we were stuffed. Halfway through brunch someone's pager went off and I realized we never got a pager for Fallon!! The Palo manager was very upset and we saw him call Flounders (twice because it took them a while to run the pager up to us) and kept coming over to make sure we were ok and confirmed with them that SHE was ok. Floudners offered to keep her there longer at no additional charge, but as soon as she woke up we picked her up because she slept through lunch. Fallon was treated to a special lunch that day - we brought her a pizza from Palos! (Pizza is her absolute favorite food.)

Back to the pool. We planned on catching the matinee of Twice Charmed but Fallon fell asleep. At this point I missed more of the Art of Entertaining series.

We went back to the room and got ready for dinner, Parrot Cay night. After we finished it was still too early for the show so we changed Fallon into her PJs and went for a walk on the deck. She fell asleep right before Twice Charmed and we weren't allowed to take the stroller in. We put ear plugs in her ears and brought her in, she has slept through a wedding (with a band) with them in her ears but the crowd cheers were too loud for her and she woke up. Good thing because she loved the show, "oh wow!" must have left her lips 100 times and very loud clapping all throughout the show.

After the show she was pretty awake and plenty of characters were out (which she usually misses this time slot). She had her PJ Mickey doll with her and when we saw Princess Minnie we couldn't resist. This became one of our favorite photos of the cruise (really, the one taken by Shutters):

Remember our deal from the previous night? Well, he took her to the room to go to sleep and I met up with some fellow DISers for Spring Break Bash in Rockin' Bar D! I don't want to give too much away (PM me if you really want to know!) but we did some silly fun things for a jello shot! You know what - it was good too. About 40 minutes, and a 2nd jello shot later, I went back to the room to find them both fast asleep.

Last edited by ibela; 10-13-2007 at 01:50 PM. Reason: pics
Old 10-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #22
ibela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs417 View Post
Good job I cant wait did you rebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by granmaz View Post
Great start, can't wait for more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mruhaak View Post

Subscribing!
Interested in hearing your report since I'm cruising with a 17 month old next month!
Quote:
Thanks for all the encouragement! It really helps me focus on getting it done!!

And thanks for the correct jajomo - I forgot! But Alex definitely did say he's coming back . . .
Old 10-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #23
KimAshton
DIS Veteran

OMG she is just too precious in that pic with minnie.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #24
ibela
DIS Veteran

Tuesday – St. Maarten and Pirate Night

Time to go shopping!! Before the cruise I had seen a GORGEOUS watch and figured if I could find it at a really good price, I’d treat myself to it - hey I deserve it! We had docked right next to the biggest boat ever – a Royal Caribbean beauty we overlooked at our Topsiders breakfast – it kind of dwarfed the Magic but we still loved our boat! Anyway, we took some obligatory photos by the “Welcome to St. Maarten” sign and set off on foot to do some shopping. We chose to stay nearby because, well, just because we were going with the stroller and weren’t really sure what to expect. We walked around the shops a bit but I didn’t get the watch. Only 2 stores carried it (Gucci watch, the other stores weren’t authorized dealers) and the prices were the same as back home. We walked around a bit more and then we got separated which was stressful because he had all the documents (including my KTTW card and ID) so I don’t know how I’d be able to get back onto the ship. Finally found each other and it started raining. We came back to the ship soaking wet and decided to go for lunch and the pool (hey, we were wet anyway). The Navigator had listed character strolling on Deck 9 but we didn't see any?

Fallon and I were ready for dinner before Erik (don’t remember what he was doing) so I took her downstairs for more photo ops. We saw Chip & Dale (in their pirate gear) and Fallon got so excited she ran right over to them to pose for a picture before I could stop her – with another family. In hindsight, I wonder if the Shutters photog snapped a picture of that. I would’ve gotten it just for a good laugh . . . anyway, when it was our turn for the picture they remembered her from the first day and they played Ring Around the Rosie with her again! The Shutters photog got that shot (which of course I HAD to buy) and it was all just super cute. The line for the white background photos was empty (lesson learned: go when there are a lot of other photos being taken) so I took her over there and we had a nice session, got a couple of great “Mommy and me” shots.

After our yummy dinner we went to get a family picture with Pirate Minnie (who Fallon now called "Mimi" and then dropped her off at Flounders so we could enjoy the Pirate Night deck party. A quick pic just because I love this one:

I couldn’t believe how many people were dressed up in pirate gear, I actually felt a little out of place with just my bandana and Pirate Minnie tattoo (courtesy of DVC, thank you). It was a lot of fun and the fireworks were just so cool to see, I was really glad the rain had stopped and that we didn’t have to miss it. After it ended we still had a little time before we had to pick her up so we got some goodies at the buffet and took our plates to Quiet Cove to enjoy.

Last edited by ibela; 10-16-2007 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 10-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #25
ibela
DIS Veteran

Wednesday – St. Thomas, Palo dinner, 80s night

We woke early to go through Customs. It took all of 2 minutes so we had some breakfast and headed out to the Sky Ride which was the only thing I had reserved for the day. For anyone traveling with an infant: do NOT take your stroller with you, there are lots of steps. Fortunately there were nice people around who helped but I would not take the stroller again. Actually, I don’t think I’d even go again. We got to the top and caught the very tail end of the bird show, those are some smart birds . . . so we took some pictures from the top (amazing view, will attempt to add a picture tonight), had a frozen Bushwacker (SO good) in a souvenir mug (too cute), walked around a handful of the souvenir shops they have, and went back to the boat. Erik was going to go back into town to pick up a few things but with the early all aboard time we decided to just stay on the boat.

We took Fallon for a quick dinner and then dropped her off at Flounders – tonight was Palo dinner night for us. We asked for the same server from our brunch (Sylvester) and he was wonderful again. Great drinks (I tried a limoncello martini and a Toblerone chocolate martini at his advice and Y-U-M) and great food. Wow were we stuffed. Most of this TR has been focused on our experience with Fallon but I have to write about what we ate for 3 reasons: 1) I had high expectations and 2) I took a picture which I have to add later on because I took the picture for that sole purpose of posting it here and 3) when I told Erik that people on the DIS say they order like 3 of each course for 2 people he thought that was crazy. We told Sylvester our likes/dislikes and he picked all the food. Our appetizers (we may have hit them all): eggplant, ahi tuna, mushroom thing, and grilled shrimp. All were super yum and I barely got a taste of the mushroom app before it was all gone! After the bread with the dipping sauces, some prosciutto with olives, and lemon sorbet later we ready for our entrees (I asked that he skip the pizza since we tried it during brunch): tuna (delish) and risotto (just ok) for Erik, and some vegetable soup bowl thing (really good), rack of lamb (delish), and the best scallops I have ever had. Erik thought it was funny that I took out the camera for a picture of the scallops and announced it to Sylvester, who offered to take the pic thinking I’m taking one of Erik, who then said “no, she’s taking a picture of the food, not me”. Hey, I can see my husband everyday but when’s the next time I’m going to see scallops the size of small crab cakes?!

Feeling beyond full at this point, we had dessert. I had the chocolate soufflé and some other chocolate thing, I don’t even remember what Erik had. I know we were both ready to burst at this point. While waddling out (2.5+ hrs later) we spoke with another couple who also couldn’t believe the amount of food they consumed (although in our defense, we didn’t finish every little morsel on our plates). Before we left we asked to meet the chef, he was very nice and we were both surprised at how young he is!

Fallon was fast asleep in Flounders so we headed to Rockin’ Bar D for 80s Night. To my fellow DISers from the thread who stood me up (everyone went to bed early?): you missed a really great time! We caught the tail end of the comedian before hand and he was very funny, too bad we didn’t get there earlier. Anyway, the dancers from the shows came out dressed in 80s gear and did several choreographed numbers which were great. I dragged Erik up to dance with me and he was picked for a contest on stage (he didn’t win but he did get into it, too bad I didn’t bring the camera). There was also a ‘Battle of the Bands’ which was cute and here’s my confession: I cheered for the women b/c it became a gender contest but really, the men were better.

Somewhere about this time we started tossing dates around for rebooking.

Last edited by ibela; 10-16-2007 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 10-16-2007, 12:35 PM   #26
frdeb1999
DIS Veteran

That picture with Minnie is just too cute! Sounds like you had a wonderful time!!
frdeb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #27
ibela
DIS Veteran

Thanks! We even made a crystal from the PJ pic with Minnie.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #28
JDBlair
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibela View Post
To my fellow DISers from the thread who stood me up (everyone went to bed early?): you missed a really great time!
***Clears Throat*** In my defense, I was averaging about 5 hours of sleep a night by that time. So, this was Wednesday and by then, the lack of sleep had caught up to me (6 days averaging 5 hours a night when I usually average 8-10 hours of sleep a night) and the extremely full belly I had from Palo's dinner that night didn't help!! I sat on the edge of our bed to change my Palo dining clothes in to something more comfortable and started to nod off. I didn't want to miss 80's night but at the time I was nodding off, it was 8 pm and 80's night was a good 2+ hours away. So, we can blame lack of sleep, the rocking of the ship (man, I loved that!!) and a very full belly from Palo's with the extremely yummy chocolate martini. All of this made for a very excellent nights sleep! But I am kicking myself for missing 80's night!

Future runDisney races:
Dumbo Double Dare Challenge August 2014

Follow me as I train for these races!

Previous runDisney race recaps:
Princess Half February 2013
Tinker Bell Half January 2013
Disneyland Half 9-2-12
JDBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:52 PM   #29
jns
Tries hard to get the jelly off Jaffa Cakes without breaking it!!!!

Thanks for sharing
looking forward to seeing all the photos
great report
2007 Animal Kingdom , Disney Magic , Saratoga Springs,NYC
2008 DLRP Santa Fa , Beachclub Villas, Wilderness Lodge ,Disney Magic and New York

2009 BayLake Towers, Beachclub Villas and Disney Wonder 2011 Disney Magic, Mediterranean Cruise, Old Key West2012 Los Vegas, Grand Calf and San Fran 2013 Disney fantasy , Wilderness Lodge and Vero Beach

We now know the secert too!! Trip report 2006 Trip Report 2008 WDW / DCL
jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #30
ibela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBlair View Post
***Clears Throat*** In my defense, I was averaging about 5 hours of sleep a night by that time. So, this was Wednesday and by then, the lack of sleep had caught up to me (6 days averaging 5 hours a night when I usually average 8-10 hours of sleep a night) and the extremely full belly I had from Palo's dinner that night didn't help!! I sat on the edge of our bed to change my Palo dining clothes in to something more comfortable and started to nod off. I didn't want to miss 80's night but at the time I was nodding off, it was 8 pm and 80's night was a good 2+ hours away. So, we can blame lack of sleep, the rocking of the ship (man, I loved that!!) and a very full belly from Palo's with the extremely yummy chocolate martini. All of this made for a very excellent nights sleep! But I am kicking myself for missing 80's night!
That's ok, just know it was a LOT of fun. I guess you'll just have to book another one . . . !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jns View Post
Thanks for sharing
looking forward to seeing all the photos
great report
Thanks! I'm going to try and finish it up by Thursday.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: