Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
hhockman
DIS Veteran

The Outsiders (our first trip as Non-Florida residents) Trip Report-FINALLY

Okay, guys, here you go. I'm in the mood to type tonight, so I'm going to do Day 1. I'm copy/pasting a lot of it (I can hear you all now..."you're copy/pasting and it took you this long?!"), but I wanted to be able to edit whatever I wanted, and that will take time. Despite what I just posted on Michelle's PTR, I just remembered that I did upload some of the pictures to Matt's computer, especially at the beginning of the trip, so I will try to add some pictures. We'll see how long this takes.

Michelle, as far as HSM2, I'm really wishing we had the cable we had in FL where I could get our Disney and "Disney 2" which was on California time. Then I could see it AGAIN right now. Oh well. I was obnoxious enough about it on Monica's and your thread, so here I'll go ahead and get on with it. I hope you guys aren't TOO disappointed. Day 1 was just a traveling day...but without further ado...

DAY ONE:
Today was not terribly exciting. Will had to go to the doctor in the morning (where he was given a clean bill of health-remember, we went to the ER just three days before and he ended up having Strep and Pneumonia). That was good news! After his appointment we came home and cleaned and finished packing.

We left the house about 12:15pm and went to Moe’s for lunch (do you guys have Moe's? I LOVE Moe's. It's a Tex-Mex kinda place and I love their queso). After stopping by the post office (to get post card stamps) we were on our way.

The boys spent most of the travel time watching movies. Thank GOODNESS for car DVD players! Will also played with his cars. Both boys slept for a couple of hours. We drove for a while without having to stop. There was some traffic in Atlanta, but we still got through fairly quickly. We got really bad rain from the hurricane that hit Texas a couple of times, but it usually only lasted 15-20 minutes. Not a big deal.

We stopped for the first time around Macon and everyone went to the bathroom and Christian got a diaper change. The boys had both slept and woken up. I was organizing coupons. Seriously. I spent almost the entire trip to Ocala organzing my coupons. I got all the non-food ones done. The food ones, STILL aren't done, and now I've had to pull a bunch of expired ones so it's all a mess again. I've really got to work on that too.

We stopped again for the bathroom less than two hours later (I thought we'd have to stop a lot because of Will, but it was Matt we kept having to stop for. He drinks like a -don't ask me where that phrase came from, as if fish actually drink!). We drove past the Welcome to Florida sign so fast that I only got a picture from the side.

Matt was on the phone and just honked his horn as we drove past, so I barely got that, although I tried a couple more times. He had to be on the phone most of the trip getting his “numbers” from the people who work for him so that he could finish up for the week. I told him after Friday he was NOT allowed to be on the phone (he still was some, but it wasn't that bad).

We stopped one more time to go to the bathroom before we finally got to Ocala. We got gas first and then went to Chick-Fil-A for dinner. Then we went to check in to the La Quinta. We’d used Matt’s points, so we didn’t have to pay for anything at all. That was nice. There were a TON of people there for the Florida-Tennessee game the next day. Most of them seemed to be Tennessee fans. I smiled tolerantly at them. We actually got on the elevator with a couple of them. Matt said "you probably don't want to share an elevator with us". They figured we meant because of the kids. They never really did get it. Thank goodness we won that game. Since we can't seem to win anymore (we WILL win in two weeks, we WILL win in two weeks! ).

We got out of the car and got the stuff we’d need for the night and started to walk in to the hotel. I was holding Christian’s hand and he looked up at the hotel and then said, “Mama, it’s beautiful”. I’m not sure where he got the word “beautiful” or why he thought it was, but it was an adorable thing to say.

Once the boys were settled in the room, I went back out to find a Target so I could get the couple of things we’d forgotten (yes, even with all the planning we managed to forget things! ). I started driving down State Road 200, but when I didn’t find the Target after a few minutes I turned around. I tried to go down a connecting road, but accidentally turned into the Kmart parking lot, and figured that was fortuitous, so I went into Kmart to see if I could find any of the “deals” I’d been seeing on the Bargain Board on Babycenter. I didn’t have much time, because they closed about twenty minutes after I got there, but I did get a Swiffer Carpet Flick and a refill and five boxes of Hershey’s cookies for $2.80.

Then I left in search of the Target. I drove around in what appeared to be a circle, only to finally end up at Target, which was in fact on State Road 200 about two blocks farther down than I’d gone. I got the toothpaste, toothbrush for Matt (yes, Matt forgot his toothbrush YUCK!), CD-Rs, and A&D ointment (which I found the next day in the suitcase, so I took that one back later) that we needed, plus a plastic “town map” with roads for the boys that was .25, and headed back to the hotel, missing the turn the first time by. I was TIRED.

Finally back I found both boys in bed, and neither asleep. Christian fell asleep pretty soon after, but Will was awake until almost midnight. He kept changing beds, and finally ended up in the bed with me and Christian. Which didn’t make for a very restful night for me.

About 4am Matt woke me up and told me to move to the bed where he was, and I slept okay for about 3 hours. Needless to say I was very tired Saturday morning. And I'm not totally pleasant when I'm tired. We were almost to Disney so I tried to "put on a happy face" but it took a little while to get the "Grumpies" out.

So there you go. Hopefully it will be less than a month before I get to Day 2!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
hhockman
DIS Veteran

BTW, those of you new to my report can just ignore those first couple of paragraphs. I copied/pasted this first day from my PTR.

For those of you that are new, I'm going to copy/paste the cast from my PTR too. So you'll have a little introduction (just remember this was written before we left):

Me: 31 year old elementary school teacher who has been on "hiatus" since DS1 was born 5 1/2 years ago. I'm hoping to be back to teaching soon (read: once I get a teaching certificate for this "other" state I've found myself in). I was born in FL, dragged away kicking and screaming (I was 6 months old) when my dad got orders, and moved back when I was 8 years old, never to move from the state again until last July (2006). I got my BA and MA at the University of Florida, and made sure both DSs were signed up for the FL Prepaid College plan before we became residents of another state. GO GATORS!

DH (Matt): 30, lived most of his life in FL too (except for a few years when he was very young when he was also dragged to a couple different places because his dad was military-he however was born in Alaska, and doesn't have Floridian blood quite like I do). He is a District Manager for a company that makes and sells air conditioning (and furnace) filters. I tell you this because he is proud of his title. I'm not crazy about it. That title is the reason I am not in Florida anymore. He is not quite the Disney fanatic that I am, but he tolerates my Disney fanatism. He also tolerates matching tshirts. As long as it's only once or twice on the trip

DS1 (Will): 5 1/2, just started kindergarten . Lived his whole life in FL up until now and still, after a year, sometimes asks when we're going back. He has also asked a few times in the last year if we can "go see Mickey". The poor kid got so used to going to see Mickey 3-4 times a year, he doesn't understand why it's now been 15 months since we've been. He is very smart, somewhat obsessive compulsive (he gets this from my mom...and his mom a little bit), and loves all things boy. Especially baseball and nascar. He also, because of careful coaching, loves the Gators. GO GATORS!

DS2 (Christian): 2 going on 5. He can do anything his big brother can do, if you don't think so, just watch. He looks, acts, and speaks like a 3 year old. A skinny 3 year old, but he's tall enough. It's a good thing Disney doesn't question this kind of thing, or we'd have to bring a birth certificate. Which I STILL haven't ordered from the state. The other state. The one we used to live in. Yes, he was born in FL too. I really need to order that certificate. He is much more happy go lucky, and much more rambunctous than his older brother. I've had many more heart attacks with this one that the first.

Other players: DH has some family (aunts and cousins) who will be at the World during our second weekend. We will probably meet up with them at some point but I have no idea when or where. I'm not even sure at this point who all is coming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conspicuously absent: My parents. Especially my mom. They almost always go to Disney with us, for at least part of the time. Even if Dad doesn't want to go (he's not crazy about Disney, although he is crazy about the boys, and he hates watching how much money my mom spends there). My mom talked about coming "for a few days" with my grandma for a long time. Now she seems to have decided that it will be too much money/hassle and that she, my grandma, the boys and I will go "in the Spring". I am thrilled about this decision for two reasons: 1. It will just be "the 4 of us" this time, which it almost never is, and 2. I get to go back in the Spring when I didn't think we'd be going again for at least 2 years (darn state other than FL).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by hhockman; 10-09-2007 at 10:16 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
mkluvsmickey
DIS Veteran

I found it!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
hhockman
DIS Veteran

Yea! Glad to have you.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #5
roxannensteve
DIS Veteran

I'm here too Nice Job!!

Well we don't have a Moe's or a Chipotle here so I can't comment on that. We have Chick-Fil-A though. But I don't like it.

We deffinitely have a bargain shopper here - shopping for bargains while on vacation - on the way to the World - what a player!!

Our bed situation will probably be alot like yours. I though we'd each take a bed with each a kid but something tells me they'll both want to sleep with me. Hopefully DH will be as thoughtful as yours - I could really sleep well for 3 hours.

I wonder in a child's mind what was so beautiful about that hotel? You think he though it was WDW? Or just tired & talking out his head?

Sounds like an alright day. I can not wait to hear more.

Dec '07 PTR/TRDec '08 TR
May '09 TR

November 2012 PTR
numerous other times, no PTR/TR

Been there, Done that, Going again
Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
hhockman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxannensteve View Post
I'm here too Nice Job!!

Well we don't have a Moe's or a Chipotle here so I can't comment on that. We have Chick-Fil-A though. But I don't like it.

We deffinitely have a bargain shopper here - shopping for bargains while on vacation - on the way to the World - what a player!!

Our bed situation will probably be alot like yours. I though we'd each take a bed with each a kid but something tells me they'll both want to sleep with me. Hopefully DH will be as thoughtful as yours - I could really sleep well for 3 hours.

I wonder in a child's mind what was so beautiful about that hotel? You think he though it was WDW? Or just tired & talking out his head?

Sounds like an alright day. I can not wait to hear more.
I have no idea why he thought it was "beautiful". It was just the side of the hotel. Maybe the bushes? I don't think he realized at that point that we were going to Disney. Actually, I don't think at that point Christian even knew what Disney World was. He was just barely 1 the last time we went and I doubt he remembered it. So I don't know. It was cute though.

Yeah, the Kmart thing was sad, but I couldn't resist. I didn't stay long though. Besides the fact that they were closing, I was tired.

We didn't plan it that way originally, but every night we were at Disney one of us slept with one kid. We were going to put the kids together, and we would sleep together, but it never worked out that way. It was fine though.

Anyway, nice to see you!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
Poohtigeey
DIS Veteran

I'm here! Duh me! I thought I posted, but then I didn't get email reminders, then I realized that I didn't post so I had to find your report. Great start. I selfishly want you not to be so busy! I miss you! Ready for more!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #8
hhockman
DIS Veteran

The Gators Meet The Mouse or How Matt Talked Me Into Switch ESPN Club to Saturday

Okay, my computer just freaked out on me, so let me try this again.

Since you three seem to be my only loyal "fans", I'm going to go ahead and do day 2 just for you. Or at least try to. Remember, I wrote this while I was there, so I have to tweak it a little, and add some pictures. Not sure how many pictures. I'm tired tonight, as usual (for no really good reason).

Without further ado.
DAY TWO:

Of course I was quite tired when I woke up, but we needed to get going, so I got up. And, of course, I got on the computer first thing, but Matt gave the boys a bath, so the time was not wasted. As if computer time is ever wasted time.

We took our time (well, I did) getting ready, but we were down at breakfast around 9am. The boys had waffles, then apples, and Christian had a little of my yogurt. I had half a bagel, yogurt, a hard boiled egg, and half a blueberry muffin. Matt had eggs and a bagel. I wanted to make sure we wouldn't be hungry in two hours. Of course I wasn't really thinking about the fact that all three "boys" are always hungry.

We left the hotel about 10:00 and went to Cracker Barrel for a few minutes so I could see what Gator stuff was available for Mom (she insisted I check, and we were there, so I could spare a couple minutes).

After spending $30 there we were back on the road. It only took a little over an hour to get to Disney. Driving down 27, the radio, which was scanning, suddenly landed on Joy FM (a Tampa-area Christian station that I used to listen to when we lived in Clearwater). I looked out the window at the partly cloudy/sunny sky and the palm trees as we passed through Clermont and I was suddenly hit with a wave of nostalgia. I said to Matt “I want to go home”. He said, “This isn’t home anymore”. That just made me sadder. For the few minutes it took until we started seeing signs for Walt Disney World.

I took pictures of almost every one.

You’d think we’d never been there before.
The kids started to get excited too.

“Hey Mom, we’re almost to Disney”.

“Mom, where are we going today? Are we going to Disney?”

“LOOK MOM THERE’S A BUS!”

Will is apparently still obsessed with buses.

“Mom, which bus are we riding?”

“There’s ANOTHER bus!”

I got an excited chill, and commented to Matt, “Ah, the Disney excitement chill”.

Christian was also contributing to the conversation, but of course I can’t remember now what he was saying. I know he was tired. He started fussing because he dropped his blanket, and he fell asleep as we pulled up to the security station (okay, here goes, my first picture of the kids...I think I can, I think I can...)

We parked and I went to check in while Matt got the boys out. The line looked pretty long when I got inside, but I didn’t stand there long. Matt came in with the boys, Christian asleep in the stroller, when I was about half way through the line. A few minutes later it was our turn and we checked in without a hitch. Our room was even ready, even though it was only noon. And we were on the 1st floor! In building 3, which is about as close as you can get to the main building without being preferred. Cool! The man gave the kids each a Disney Adventures magazine (which Will was excited about, it had Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens on the front-but which is way too old for Christian-I haven’t even given it to him), and some Mickey stickers.

The kids and I walked to the room while Matt drove the car around. It took Will a little while to understand that we’d be staying in this room tonight instead of where we stayed last night. Here's a picture of the surprise Mousekeeping left for us:

Christian immediately got into the shampoo in the bathroom. As Matt started bringing stuff in, I started unpacking. I put all the clothes away and tried to put everything else “in place” somewhere. Matt got pretty much everything in, but I had to go back out to the car for a debit card, and I noticed a bunch of high school kids, some kind of team (my guess is track, because there were boys and girls, but I don’t know), from a town near us. Small world. It turned out to be a very small world today.

We hung out in the room for a while. I panicked because I realized I’d forgotten the USB cord for the camera, but then realized that Matt’s computer takes memory cards, so that was all good. I gave Will my old digital camera to use for himself (he took about 5 pictures today, we’re not taking it tomorrow). Will and Christian colored for a while. Finally we had everything “somewhere” and we decided to head out.

We weren’t sure we still wanted to go to Animal Kingdom since it was almost 2:00, but we finally decided to go anyway. About half way to the main building I remembered that I’d left the boys’ Disney Dollars in the room so I went back. It was a good thing too because apparently I hadn’t shut the door all the way.

We went into the shop to buy a drink because I’d read here on the DIS that it’s best to use up a snack to make sure the Disney Dining Plan is working correctly. While walking through the shop though, Will had seen a three pack of busses that he just HAD to have. I told him we’d wait until tonight and if he still wanted them, he could have them. He was NOT happy with this answer, and I got attitude. Since this was about the 100th time today I’d had attitude, we almost went back to the room. He promptly decided he could wait. While I was standing there explaining that he only had so much money and I wanted to be sure he really wanted what he was getting (who was I kidding, I knew all along he’d get the busses. He loves busses. But I didn’t want to chance losing the busses during the day), a man and his son walked up. When I finished the dad looked at the little boy and just said “What she said”. These poor deprived kids. (Insert raised eyebrow).

Drink bought and our DDP is fine. While Matt and the boys sat outside waiting for the bus, I went and got money out of the ATM and got autograph books and a pen for the boys. Then we waited patiently (or not so) for the bus. Will sat next to Matt on the bench, but Christian kept dancing around all over the place, often coming precariously close to the road.

I can’t even tell you how many times I yelled “CHRISTIAN!” today. Finally Matt said the bus was coming. As it pulled into the spot, Christian decided to jump into the street. TOTALLY freaked me out. Another “CHRISTIAN!” and I grabbed him out of the street just in time.

We got on the bus and stood for a minute until some people got off at the other All-Stars. Then we got to sit down. Will was finally riding the bus. Did I mention how much he loves the buses? He always has. It only took us a few minutes to get to Animal Kingdom. As soon as we got there the questions started again.

“Where are we?”

“Is this Disney?”

“I’m hungry, when are we going to eat”. (told ya)

And then, because he was not paying attention (because he’s 5 and never does) Will tripped and skinned his elbow. It really wasn’t a bad scrape, but it was bleeding a little and Matt said he wanted to go to First Aid to get it “cleaned up”. Will was freaking. He wasn’t howling, but he was holding his elbow and WHINING. “It hurts!”

We went through the bag check line, conversing with the nice bag-check people who told us we could get a band-aid at Guest Services (Matt didn’t want a band-aid, we had band-aids, he wanted it cleaned. Don’t ask me why Matt was all of a sudden worried about small scrapes being cleaned ). We saw Stanley on the way in, but he was leaving as we walked up, so we continued on through the turnstiles. We tried to look at a couple of animals as we walked through the oasis, but kept hearing “It HURTS!” so we walked fast.

I insisted on stopping and getting our first Photopass picture on the bridge with the Tree of Life in the background (I haven't ordered my Photopass CD yet, and we didn't get a picture on my camera, so I don't have one yet). Will wanted to keep going to First Aid, but by now he was back to complaining about being hungry again too and I told him that if we didn’t take the picture now, we’d be back after First Aid, and then he’s have to wait longer for food. He still didn’t want to stop, but did, and (I think) managed to smile. We got our Photopass.

Then we headed to First Aid where we met a very nice nurse who put Bactine on Will’s elbow, and a really cool “elbow” band-aid that didn’t come off when he bent his elbow. Apparently she knows something about small boys, because she also handed me a couple of said band-aids.

Now it was food time. But first Will wanted to look at the fishes. And before that Will had to have another attitude about the fact that we were NOT having a hotdog for lunch because he could have a hotdog for dinner at ESPN Club yes, ESPN Club, NOT Rainforest Cafe...you'll see). Now we’d already gone over the Disney rules and we’d said “NO attitudes at Disney” often enough that Will could repeat it back, but here he was having another attitude. I knew that a big majority of this attitude was the fact that he was tired, but still, the rule stands. Matt threatened to take him back to the room, and he was over his attitude pretty quickly.

After looking at the fish, and stopping to see some vultures, cranes, and ducks, we headed in the direction of Dinoland because Will had decided he wanted McDonald’s if he couldn’t have a hotdog. Matt and Will stopped to go to the bathroom, and while he was in there a group from Peru started playing some songs on some instruments and a couple of people were dancing. Once Will came out of the bathroom there was suddenly no more talk of food. He wasn’t moving. When we told him we needed to go he asked if we could eat at Flame Tree Barbeque so he could still see the music players.

Now Flame Tree Barbeque has hot dogs, but I KNEW he’d be getting a hot dog at ESPN, so we told him no. Finally we tore ourselves away from the musicians and headed to Dinoland. Just over the bridge we discovered a wagon that sold McDonald’s French fries. Matt and I decided we’d much rather use 3 snack credits than 1 or 2 Counter Service credits, so we got two French fries (they were Large) and a drink to share between all of us.

After eating we headed back over the bridge and since it was only 3:30 I made the impulsive decision to visit Pooh, Eeyore, and Tigger, who were just leaving as we walked up. Luckily they were only gone for a few minutes. It was worth the wait. The kids LOVED meeting the characters, and we got some good pictures (even though the Photopass girl who was doing Pooh was having camera problems, so we didn’t get a Photopass picture with Pooh. We did with Eeyore and Tigger though-and I got pictures, and I could include them all, but lets just do one and save the space. I took plenty of pictures).

Matt and I had been a little worried about Christian and characters because he can be shy around new people and he’s right at that “scared of characters” age. He wasn’t at all though. He walked right up to them all and hugged them. With Tigger he kept jumping around and saying “Mama, I’m bouncing like Tigger”. Of course, the camcorder ran out just before that, and it took me enough time to remember I could record video on my camera to miss it. We have the pictures though.

So, after that it was on to the parade, by way of an air-conditioned store, where Will had a few more “I wants” that we passed by. We got a good spot at the parade, kind of shaded between some trees and the store, right up at the rope, with about 20 minutes left.

A lady pulled up with a double stroller with two young children (a girl and a boy) who both looked younger than Will and older than Christian (the smaller of the two might have been Christian’s age). We chatted a little and waited in the heat (and humidity, I’d forgotten just exactly how bad Florida’s humidity is ). Matt and Christian went to sit at a table by the store.

Okay, here's our first experience with the WONDERFUL Disney Magic we got from/with other Disney Guests on this trip. Yes, other guests! We had an amazing experience with kindness on this trip. So much so, that I constantly found myself "passing it on". When we were eating our French Fries I’d told Matt a little bit about the Year of A Million dreams, and the small prizes like the lanyards and Dream Fastpasses. After a few minutes of chatting, the rest of the lady’s family showed up (her husband, two more sons, and another daughter). The daughter was wearing one of the Dream Fastpasses and I pointed it out to Matt. They talked about how and where they’d gotten them, and that they’d only used one of the Fastpasses because most of them don’t do those rides. Then the lady and her husband had a hurried conversation, pulled out a couple of their Fastpasses, and offered them to us! What an incredibly nice thing to do. I was excited to use the Expedition Everest one, even though I knew we’d planned to go to ESPN as soon as the parade was over. They offered us 4, but we only took 2, because I knew the kids wouldn’t use them. Those passes were even more special to me than if they'd actually been awarded to us by Disney! I never even found out those people's names, but I will never forget them. It turns out we didn’t use them either. Matt didn’t think there was a real reason for me to walk all the way over to Expedition Everest when we were coming back on Friday and the parade didn’t get over until 4:30. So now we have souveniers too. And a great memory.

The parade was just okay, I thought. We couldn’t remember having ever seen the Animal Kingdom parade, so I’d really been looking forward to it, but it was just okay. The kids loved it, but they love parades.

Will was a little disappointed there were no saxophones. I’m not sure which parade would have a saxophone. Saxophones are another one of his obsessions, of course. After the parade we walked out with most of the rest of the park. A cast member told a person next to us with a Disney stroller that they had to go “to the left” and Will got all concerned that we weren’t going left too. I guess he got over it eventually. A man in an electric wheelchair and his (I think) wife started talking to me and giving me all kinds of tips about getting a parkhopper and where to go for what. They were being really nice (see, more nice!), so I just didn’t tell them that we’d been to Disney numerous times and were former Florida residents and passholders ourselves. They were nice. So I was nice. Matt started walking a little ahead of me and Will ran to keep up with him. I knew this was because he knew if he stayed with me he would start making all kinds of comments about how we’d “been there, done that” and didn’t need the advice. So he was nice to go ahead and not make those comments. We finally split up at the buses.

Okay...I'm going to stop here, and do another post for the second half because this is long, and has a lot of pictures and, well, it's just long. I'm still freaking a little about the pictures, but I took some of them specifically to share with you all, so here goes.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #9
hhockman
DIS Veteran

Okay, part two...

We took the bus to Boardwalk to go to ESPN Club. The Boardwalk bus happens to be the Boardwalk/Swam/Dolphin/Yacht & Beach Club bus, so we were on there for a while. When we first got on there weren’t any seats, but a couple of guys got up so Will and I could sit down (Christian sat in my lap).

A family, similar to ours (Mom, Dad, two boys, all but the Mom wearing Gator shirts) sat down right next to us. The Dad mentioned something about needing to know the score (to his wife), so I called my mom, and then told them 14-3 but Tennessee was about to score. Not exactly reassuring. We ended up talking to them some. Gator fans can just start talking even if they’ve never met before and will never meet again. Disney Guests can too. And since we were both in both categories...well there you go. And we saw A LOT of Gator fans today. I know because I saw Gator t-shirts all over the place. I also saw Georgia, Kentucky, and Alabama (including Matt) among others, but the Gators were really out today. That’s because Gators are proud. Win or lose they are proud, but with all the wins lately, they’ve been really proud (remember this was written while we were there, there have since been a couple of CLOSE losses...but we're still PROUD!).

Once we got to Boardwalk, Matt and Will went on ahead to get in line while Christian and I went the long way around via the elevator. By the time we got to ESPN, Florida was winning 28-6, but Tennessee was getting ready to score. I’d just called my mom to ask if she felt better, but she didn’t because Tennessee scored while we were on the phone. 28-13. We were in line for about half an hour before we were seated. At least half of the people in the bar area were Gator fans (although there were Tennessee fans there too). Right after we were seated Tennessee scored again and the Tennessee people below us got really excited. I got really nervous. 28-20 wasn’t exactly comfortable. Fortunately, Tennessee didn’t score again. Florida, however did. They scored a lot. The final score was 59-20. The Florida fans liked that.

We had a GREAT waitress who didn’t even charge us for Christian’s drink. The Dining Plan was awesome and we got a ton of food. I wasn’t so full I was sick, but I was full when we left and I’d had a wide variety of food including Dingers (Buffalo Chicken Tenders), Nachos, a hamburger (I only ate half), and a sundae (that was really cool with a chocolate stick and a chocolate chip cookie broken in half to make the sundae look like a Mickey head. I took a picture of it).

About 2 minutes before the game was over, we finally left and went back to the buses. I talked to my mom and my brother before we got on the bus. By the time we got on the bus Bama was winning 7-0 and about to score. My brother called back when they scored again and it was 14-0.

It took a while to get to the Marketplace, especially as we had to go back by Swan and Dolphin. Will was getting quite impatient. Once we got there we walked through the Memories and Art stores, the Christmas store, and the candy store. We were going to get some candy, but found that the Bulk candy could not be used as a Snack, so we left and headed to Once Upon A Toy. Will went straight for his buses while I pushed Christian around looking for something for him.

Matt took Will to the bathroom and right after they got back we ran into an old friend from Clearwater and her family. I haven’t seen them since long before we moved. Her daughter is about a year and a half older then Will. Her son is two months younger than Christian. Her daughter looked really old to me (and Will looked really old to her), but her son looked a lot younger than Christian to me, even though he is only two months younger. She said Christian was really tall (he is). We only chatted for a minute and then went our separate ways. We were honestly never super great friends but it was still interesting to see them.

Christian picked up a Baby Einstein book and looked through it for a while, until we finally ended up back at the Build your Mr. Potato Head area. First he picked up a pre-filled “suitcase” and said “I want a potato” and hugged it to him. Then I pushed him over to the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse stuff and he went through all of that, but we can get any of that stuff at Walmart or Target for much cheaper, so I went with the Potato Head idea. We got a box and started filling it. The only thing Christian insisted on was a pair of boots he would not let go of, so those went in the box first. They were Pirate boots (that’s my boy!) so we went with the whole pirate theme. Then I started getting as much “Disney World tourist” stuff as I could find. Then I started just shoving stuff in the box because I wanted to get every little thing I could. I ended up having to get another box because I broke the first one, but I got a lot. Will came back with yet another bus, and even though he was a couple dollars over his $20 limit, we let him get both. Christian also got a Potato Head set (that was $6) because I didn’t want to have to put a Potato Head in the box and take up all the space with him.

Now, Christian has Potato Heads at home. But I knew he’d want to play with the thing here, and it didn’t seem fair to make him wait. Because between the two of them we spent more than $45 (well, mostly they did, but we helped-or rather Grandma did), I got a Pirates watch and lithograph for $10. I’m still not sure I should have. It was one of those impulsive “Disney World purchases” that I make without thinking and regret later. I do like the stuff, but I already have a Pirates watch (a different one) and we don’t really have the extra to spend this time (as you can see, I’m still not sure, even though it’s too late to do anything about it).

Once the purchases were taken care of, I joined my boys (all three of them) outside and we went back to the buses. The Sports & Music bus was just pulling away as we walked up (grrr), but we didn’t have too wait long for another one. We got a seat and were headed back to the hotel.

Will (and the rest of us too) carried on a conversation with a lady who was there with her family from Chicago and talked to him the whole time about Sports. She was very nice, but we are really going to have to talk to Will to make sure he understands that he should only talk to strangers if we are there (he didn’t talk to her at first. She started the conversation, and he was hesitant for a little while, but finally got fairly comfortable).

When we got back to the room Will immediately wanted his buses. He played with them for a while and Christian walked around bouncing on beds, stacking food, and generally not listening. again. He's SO 2! Matt finished watching the Alabama/Arkansas game. It came down to the last few seconds, but Alabama won 38-34. So Florida and Alabama WERE still both undefeated.

Will fell asleep right at the end of the game (near 11:00), but Christian was awake for a while longer. I was reading the Passporter. He FINALLY fell asleep about half an hour later and I finally got to start this Trip Report. I did not expect it to end up 6 pages long (in Word) so far. We were going to try to be at the Magic Kingdom tomorrow at 8:00am, so we had a wake-up call for 6:30. SIX THIRTY in the morning, while we’re on vacation! Whose idea was this (mine)?! It was 1:20am by then, so I thought I’d really better get some sleep before tomorrow is really bad for me. It’s going to be a LONG day since Magic Kingdom is also open late tomorrow night. I think we’re going to go ahead and get the double stroller for tomorrow (we didn't, but that's tomorrow).

So anyway, that’s Day 2. Somehow I didn't get any pictures after Animal Kingdom, so sorry about that. I have some of ESPN Club I took on the last day, but I'll just put those on the last day. This took longer than even I thought it would, but hopefully it won't be too long before I get Day 3 up. I am TIRED now though, so it's time for bed. I'll check on ya'lls PTRs tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:14 AM   #10
mkluvsmickey
DIS Veteran

Wow! Nice long update - love it! I was so excited to see this when I woke up this morning! Thanks for sharing your pictures -your family is adorable. I love that Matt wore the giant Mickey hat!!

I could feel the excitement with you as you approached WDW. I smiled when I saw the signs.

I think you kept Christian's Disney Adventure magazine for yourself!

How nice of that couple to give you their dream fast passes! Even if you couldn't use them, I'm sure that made your afternoon a bit more magical.

I cracked up at Will's obsessions - busses and saxophones!

Looking forward to more.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #11
Poohtigeey
DIS Veteran

Wow, what an update! Love Matt's hat!!! Great detail. I feel like I was there. Question: So you went to AK to eat and watch the parade? I guess you go back later. Can't wait to hear more!
Old 10-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #12
hhockman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkluvsmickey View Post
Wow! Nice long update - love it! I was so excited to see this when I woke up this morning! Thanks for sharing your pictures -your family is adorable. I love that Matt wore the giant Mickey hat!!

I could feel the excitement with you as you approached WDW. I smiled when I saw the signs.

I think you kept Christian's Disney Adventure magazine for yourself!

How nice of that couple to give you their dream fast passes! Even if you couldn't use them, I'm sure that made your afternoon a bit more magical.

I cracked up at Will's obsessions - busses and saxophones!

Looking forward to more.
Um (is there a blushing smilie?) I had planned to keep his Disney Adventures for myself (and not just because of Zac, I actually really like Disney Adventures. I think Will is getting a subscription for Christmas or his birthday. It's supposed to be 6 and up).

That family was really nice. I wish now I'd found out their names. But it's still a great memory. We didn't get any dreams granted ourselves (in case you're wondering), and in fact didn't even see anyone else getting a dream granted. We saw people with lanyards, mouse ears, and the fast passes, but never saw them being given away. I forgot about it most of the time actually. No big.

Will has a few obsessions that he's had for a long time. As long as I can remember really. Buses and saxophones are two of them. Whales is another one. And sports, especially baseball. I have video of him throwing and hitting fairly well at Christian's age. Or just a little older. He is also currently obsessed with NASCAR, but that's a fairly recent one. Like in the last year or so. They sell these NASCAR cars that are the size of Hotwheels. They are 4.99 a piece at both Walmart and Target. He literally has every one we can find, and two of quite a few of them (one for here and one for my parents'). Most of them my parents bought. He's a little spoiled. He used to be obsessed with The Wiggles. Like he would not watch any other kids' show. We have every single Wiggles video there is up until about a year and a half ago. Christian likes the Wiggles too, but not nearly as much, and he's much more branched out. Dora, Diego, Blue, etc. Rambling again. ANYWAY, point is, Will is a little on the obsessive side. He actually has a toy saxophone that my mom ordered for him. He keeps asking for a "golden" one (a real one). I told him he has to wait until he's old enough for band. Okay, really, ANYWAY...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohtigeey View Post
Wow, what an update! Love Matt's hat!!! Great detail. I feel like I was there. Question: So you went to AK to eat and watch the parade? I guess you go back later. Can't wait to hear more!
Yes, we went back to AK on Friday. We had planned to do more at AK, but we got there too late to do much. Remember, we were originally planning to go to Rainforest Cafe that night for dinner. Well, Matt convinced me that I needed to watch the Florida game (because HE wanted to go to ESPN Club), and that started at 3:30, so we left pretty much as soon as the parade was over. My main goal WAS to see the parade though. I didn't remember ever seeing it, and I didn't want to have to stay late enough to see it on Friday, since we had MNSSHP that night.

Matt LOVES that hat. He never wears it every day, but he always wears it. We saw a Halloween version at MNSSHP and he wanted it, but it wasn't in the budget. Next time I guess.

By "great detail" do you mean I'm writing too much?

No update tonight. I have subbing and Target tomorrow. But I'll try to start Day Three soon. I'm going to start splitting the posts up. There's too much in one day, and plus I want to drag it out. I'm sure I'll have another post before you leave Michelle.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #13
tinawv
If I had a penny for everytime I wished to be in WDW I would be a millionare :-)

I am really enjoying your trip report. It just the right amount of pictures and writings. Your boys are so adorable.

Looking forward to more.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #14
mkluvsmickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhockman View Post
Um (is there a blushing smilie?) I had planned to keep his Disney Adventures for myself (and not just because of Zac, I actually really like Disney Adventures. I think Will is getting a subscription for Christmas or his birthday. It's supposed to be 6 and up).
I ordered it for Samantha from her school magazine drive. Then, the other day I got a letter saying that the magazine will no longer be in print after December! I guess they weren't doing well? I always enjoyed it. They are going to replace the subscription with "Family Fun" which I already get for free from Disney Visa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhockman View Post
No update tonight. I have subbing and Target tomorrow. But I'll try to start Day Three soon. I'm going to start splitting the posts up. There's too much in one day, and plus I want to drag it out. I'm sure I'll have another post before you leave Michelle.
Hope you have a great day tomorrow - sounds like a long one!
I'd love it if you get to another update before we leave!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:24 PM   #15
hhockman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinawv View Post
I am really enjoying your trip report. It just the right amount of pictures and writings. Your boys are so adorable.

Looking forward to more.

It's great to have you. Thanks so much. I'm enjoying writing it.
And thanks for the compliment. I think they are adorable, but I'm a little prejudiced.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: