Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2007, 03:48 AM   #151
Eeyore's Tailfinder
DIS Veteran

'Ohana

'Ohana!

Now I had been really, really looking forward to eating here! The food just sounded really good. We arrived at the Poly after an eventful trip by boat, and went on upstairs to check in. There was a bit of a queue at the podium, and we heard the CM tell some people that it would be a 3 hour wait without ADRs!! Anyway, we got our beeper, looked around the merchandise store, and eventually got a table at the Tambu Lounge:

We were beeped, and were quite excited when we were led near one of the windows, but no such luck - we were seated kind of in the middle of the floor in the back of the restaurant, not in the main seating area, and at a table where Els seemed so far away from me. Oh well, not the end of the world. Our server came by and was quite pleasant, and explained to us how 'Ohana works. Soon we were brought our drinks and the parade of food soon started.

First up was the Mixed Green with Honey Lime Dressing, and the Fried Wontons with 3 dips: Peanut, Chimichurri and Harissa.

As I've said before, we're really not salad people, but it was good. We really liked the wontons and the dips however! I think my favourite was the peanut, as it tasted like a satay dip. As you can see from the photo, this was a LOT of food for 2 people, especially when there was a load more on the way.

Soon after came Shrimp and the Honey-coriander chicken wings:

It's only me that eats shrimp so I had that bowl to myself. They were quite good, naturally would've been better if they'd have been peeled for me, but there ya go They weren't hot nor were they cold, so I would say they were just warm. I didn't notice too much of another flavour on them, just shrimp! The wings looked so good, and Els took a bite first since I was attacking the shrimp. He declared he didn't like them too much - I must point out that he hates coriander, so this could have been the reason. However when I took a taste, I didn't like them either. They just tasted really funny and they were more skin than anything. I went back to the shrimp! Again, these 2 appetizers were too much for just 2 people - we noticed that we were getting the exact same portion sizes as a table of 4 nearby, so there was a lot of waste.

So what was next in the plethora of food? We were given stir fried vegetables and Maui scalloped potatoes. You can see the veggies in this photo, above Els' 2 wing bones!

And you can see the scalloped potatoes here, along with a better photo of the dips:

I think I may have had a few veggies, like the mangetout, but they must not have been memorable as I can't really remember. Again we felt the portion was too big for us: Do you fill up on veggies or shrimp?! Tough call! The potatoes however were by far the best thing I'd had to eat that night - they were absolutely awesome! Between us we demolished that plate and wished we had some more, although we knew there was more food to come. They were just soft and so cheesy!

Now, I'm afraid I don't have a photo of the skewers, so I'll give you another food parade photo:

Els got a bit of everything I think. I got everything except for the sausage.
Sausage - Els really liked the sausage, he thought it was lovely.
Turkey - I felt this was undercooked, it felt as if it had kind of a jelly texture in the centre, when it hasn't cooked all the way through. I did start eating but when I reached the middle I was done with the Turkey.
Steak - I was so looking forward to this skewer, I love steak, and I asked for 2 or 3 pieces. I was totally disappointed when my knife cut into it, it was completely riddled with fat. Not just at the edges where you can cut off, it was all inside too. IMO this was not a good cut of meat. I didn't even take a bite, it just turned me right off.
Pork - The biggest surprise of the night. I won't usually eat pork anywhere outside of home as it can be quite fatty, plus I much prefer steak - however this wasn't fatty at all, and was properly cooked. This was by far my favourite meat of the bunch.

Our plates were cleared away and we were brought a bowl of bread pudding and a small jug of sauce on the side. We were really, really full by now so I just spooned a small amount of bread pudding onto my plate. I didn't put the sauce on as I hate bananas and hate alcohol flavoured food. The bread pudding itself was just meh. It was quite dry and not a patch on Raglan Road. However once I finished my dessert, Els tried a bit of the sauce and told me I had to try it. I tried a bit on my spoon and was so gutted - the sauce was really good and tasted NOTHING like bananas or alcohol, it just tasted like a toffee/caramel sauce. But I was far too full to eat another piece of the pudding with the sauce on so I just left it.

Ambience: I guess the view could be really nice, but our table wasn't really in a good location. It was in the middle of the floor right by the walkway, where people kept passing, waiters coming and going with food and right in the path of the child conga line, complete with parents trying to get as many photos as they could of their kidlets. I appreciate that they wanted to get some photos, but when people crowd around your table when you're trying to eat, it's just not nice. That's all we saw of the 'entertainment'.

Overall: Some aspects of the meal were good, some not so much. I felt the food came out too quickly, and the portions were just way too big for just 2 people. I was suprised by the things I liked and the things I didn't - the stuff I thought I would like didn't happen for me.

H RATING: 5/10 - Liked the wontons, shrimp, potatoes, pork and dessert sauce.
E RATING: 5/10 - Liked the wontons, potatoes, sausage, pork and dessert sauce
WOULD WE EAT HERE AGAIN? Unless they change some of the menu, then we won't give it another try. There weren't enough things that we were crazy about to return. They should really improve the quality of their meats. Even though it wasn't a horrible meal, I did feel that compared to the quality of other places we ate at at WDW, this was our worst meal. Next year, we are going to try for breakfast instead.

Disney Wedding ~ 11th Aug 2010 ~ WP/Sonoma/Napa/Whitehall DP

Nov 1999 - DLRP (Offsite) Jan 2006 - DLRP (Magic Circus) Jan 2007 - DLRP (DreamCastle) Aug 2007 - WDW (21 Nights: Sheraton Studio City, Universal's RPR, ASMo) Jan 2008 - DLRP (Hotel Santa Fe) Aug 2008 - WDW (21 Nights: POFQ & POLY CL) & 4-Night Bahamian DCL (Disney Wonder) June 2009 - Cheeky Trip Offsite (10 Nights: Wedding Site Visit) Aug 2010 - Our WDW Wedding & Honeymoon (23 Nights: Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian RPC MKV, Sheraton Four Points Sinatra Suite, Universal RPR, 4-Night Bahamian Disney Wonder, AKL CL SV & Contemporary CL MKV) May 2011 - Last Minute Early Anniversary & DH B'day Trip (14 Nights: Pop Century) Jan 2013 - Last Minute Birthday Trip (14 Nights: Pop Century) Sept 2014 - Trip with Friends (24 Nights: Fairfield Suites Seaworld, Universal RPR, Westgate Palace, Old Key West, 5 days Atlanta, Art of Animation)

DINING REPORTS: Aug 07: We Ate WDW COMPLETED! Aug 08:Don't Tell Me How To Eat Donuts

Last edited by Eeyore's Tailfinder; 11-16-2007 at 04:26 AM.
Eeyore's Tailfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:19 AM   #152
WDW Fan
Mouseketeer

Sorry you didn't have a great meal here. I love the Polynesian resort and have always wanted to eat here but my DH doesn't think the menu would appeal to him. The ambiance probably has a lot to do with the meal here too and getting stuck in the middle of the room might detract from that when the window offers such a beautiful view. Breakfast might be the better choice.
WDW Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2007, 05:41 AM   #153
Eeyore's Tailfinder
DIS Veteran

Thanks for reading! There were some bits we really liked, and even though we were on free DDP this time, there'd be no point in wasting money/credits to come here, just to eat wontons and potatoes

But I'm excited to try breakfast next time, it will be less food and there will be characters I also love the laidback feel of the Poly

If you want to try a restaurant at the PR, I may be giving an insight into a future review here, but definitely try the Kona Cafe!

Nov 1999 - DLRP (Offsite) Jan 2006 - DLRP (Magic Circus) Jan 2007 - DLRP (DreamCastle) Aug 2007 - WDW (21 Nights: Sheraton Studio City, Universal's RPR, ASMo) Jan 2008 - DLRP (Hotel Santa Fe) Aug 2008 - WDW (21 Nights: POFQ & POLY CL) & 4-Night Bahamian DCL (Disney Wonder) June 2009 - Cheeky Trip Offsite (10 Nights: Wedding Site Visit) Aug 2010 - Our WDW Wedding & Honeymoon (23 Nights: Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian RPC MKV, Sheraton Four Points Sinatra Suite, Universal RPR, 4-Night Bahamian Disney Wonder, AKL CL SV & Contemporary CL MKV) May 2011 - Last Minute Early Anniversary & DH B'day Trip (14 Nights: Pop Century) Jan 2013 - Last Minute Birthday Trip (14 Nights: Pop Century) Sept 2014 - Trip with Friends (24 Nights: Fairfield Suites Seaworld, Universal RPR, Westgate Palace, Old Key West, 5 days Atlanta, Art of Animation)

DINING REPORTS: Aug 07: We Ate WDW COMPLETED! Aug 08:Don't Tell Me How To Eat Donuts
Old 11-14-2007, 06:22 AM   #154
jeminni
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

I agree with you Haley. Ohana's is not that great. I've been there 3 times, the first time was ok, the second time mediocre and the 3rd time was terrible, between rushed service and bad food. The steak we had was full of fat also and the other meats just werent that great. When I was at WDW last week I went to Kona's instead. The food was better but the service there was very slow, one of the ppl I was eating with did not like her meal so they took it away and offered to bring her another one. She finally got it 10 minutes after everyone else was done eating. Then we had to wait forever to get offered dessert. We finally asked our waiter to bring us the bill with dessert since it was after 10 and we were worried about getting transportation back to POP.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #155
iHEARTflorida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's Tailfinder View Post
Not really relevant I guess, but I just had to include it. It's CLUB COOL!

I was looking forward to here, and I had been kinda naughty and not told Els about that drink. Here is Els reaching for a drink:

What's that he's reaching for? YES! It's BEVERLY!

This is Els' Beverly face. He had me in stitches, I was laughing so hard at him. His description of Beverly: It tastes like death! He had his own back at me though when he made me laugh whilst I was trying Beverly and it went up my nose - EEK! He was right! I can't describe the taste, it was just awful!

These are the flavours they have in there:

And here's my rundown:
Mozambique: This was a Ginger Ale, and I don't like Ginger so this was a no for me.
Costa Rica: This tasted like a Strawberry Fanta and it was very sweet, but I liked it.
Italy: Beverly - How do people drink this?
Germany: This was a kind of orange flavoured coca cola, which we have in the UK now and we think it's absolutely awful, however this tasted nothing like it and it was actually rather nice!
Japan: Vegitabeta. We tried this at another station and this ranked 2nd as worst drink. A drink made of vegetables - I think that says it all! This had us in fits of laughter again.
Israel: This was quite like Sprite or 7UP, just more sharp and lemony.
Mexico: This was similar to Apple Tango (do you guys have that in the US?) but a lot more sweet. I love apple flavoured stuff but this was just OK, I much prefer the Tango!
There was no China in any of the stations.

This is definately worth a try - we had so much fun trying the different drinks and after a tired, cranky morning it had us laughing so hard!
omg i wanna try!!! where is this? how much?

WDW Trips DL July 2010 DLRP Sept 2012

5 Weeks, 4 States and 3874 Miles around California and the Southwest Roadtrip here
iHEARTflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #156
Eeyore's Tailfinder
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHEARTflorida View Post
omg i wanna try!!! where is this? how much?
It's at FutureWorld in Epcot, to the back-right of the large fountain as you come in - look for the CLUB COOL sign.

Best news? It's completely free - now you don't often hear the F-Word in Disney

Old 11-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #157
ncseric
Monorail Junkie

Quote:
I can't imagine them being able to sell most of those alternate flavors.

You should also notice that the normal US flavors aren't anywhere to be found.

Me DW DD(10) DD(8) Max

ncseric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #158
SereneOne
DIS Veteran

Great dining review! Fantastic pics!! The two of you are so supercute.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #159
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Hi! Enjoying your reviews. We went to 'Ohana in August and really enjoyed it. We were not seated in the main room, but our table in the back was at a wall, so other people weren't getting in our way. It sounds like they did a much better job on the steak when we were there. Also, the bread pudding was my favorite dessert of the week! There is definitely way to much food, though. We were a family of 5 and we couldn't finish many things.

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:42 PM   #160
vettechick99
Why do I open these threads?
Car Snob
Oh snap, I'm Bree!!
my mom used to call me "gagootz"

I feel the same way about O'hanas. We went several years back and I'm not in a hurry to return.

Thanks for the reviews. And you guys are a cute couple!

Check out the Official Bonnet Creek Thread or You too can do Disney Pregnant! or Our Budget In-Ground Pool
vettechick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:20 AM   #161
iHEARTflorida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's at FutureWorld in Epcot, to the back-right of the large fountain as you come in - look for the CLUB COOL sign.

oh wow!! i'm so trying those when i'm back there

WDW Trips DL July 2010 DLRP Sept 2012

5 Weeks, 4 States and 3874 Miles around California and the Southwest Roadtrip here
iHEARTflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:34 AM   #162
angelmav
DIS Veteran

Once again, Fabulous review and photos! Where on the fence with O'hana, its the restaurant that may not make our cut, looks like we wont be missing much if it does.
angelmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #163
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Keep 'em coming -we leave in 10 days & this is just what I needed to see/read to get myself excited!

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #164
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Biergarten, Germany

WOULD WE EAT HERE AGAIN? Definately, it's the only buffet down on our 'repeats' list for next year and we're really looking forward!
Great Reviews! I am from Germany and your review nearly convinced me that I need to try Biergarten! The Biergarten food looks really like food here, but we don't have buffets where you can eat many different type of sausages at the same time! The only thing I don't agree with is the Jaegerschnitzel being breaded... If it's breaded than it is a plain "Vienna Style" Schnitzel. But then, I am not a great fan of Jaegerschnitzel and I am sure you can leave the sauce off, can't you?

Well, as you see, I am only on page six, so I am heading back now for more great reading about your meals!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #165
Eeyore's Tailfinder
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all your great comments guys! I will keep the reports coming, well, until I've finished!

Flossbolna - Biergarten is really good! Although I've never been to Germany myself, I am a bit partial to German food since my dad lived in Germany (Bielefeld) for 6 years and is always making things like Bratwurst and Frikadellen! His favourite is Jaegerschnitzel and is always going on about the place he used to get it in Bielefeld and how he misses it! We had to try it for him! Well I have nothing to compare it by but it was good! They both come seperately, so the Schnitzel was in one container and Jaeger sauce in the other.

Biergarten is the only buffet we're returning to in WDW, saying that I've not really got anything to compare it by! There was a really good variety of sausages and I just LOVED the tomato salad (which is saying something since I'm not really a salad fan!).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: