Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #31
DawnCt1
I had to wonder what "holiday" he thought we would be celebrating with a tree?Answer: Arbor Day
Personally I have always wanted to be a super hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyYearsAsNurse View Post
Also the patient actually has nothing wrong with her and she has NEVER had any fertility testing..EVER!! She has never been married and does not even have a boyfriend. The jury thought hshe was infertile!! She even admitted that she hates men and doesn't know why sex is such a "big deal"!! She never even TRIED to have a baby!! She said on the witness stand she has never taken 1 tylenol or anything else for any discomforts or pain ( she doesn't have any!) The whole trial was about lying to the jury about a fake infertility claim so the jurors would feel sorry for her. She never missed one day of work and has NO problems at all, as testified by 7 different doctors who said she is completely healthy!! It was all a big song and dance to lie to the jurors about a fake infertility claim and they bought into it hook line and sinker! Last I heard she was having another baby!! But she will still get her illgotten gains thanks to a jury filled with unknowing non-medical people!! Thanks America..oh and she ISN'T AN AMERICAN CITIZEN!! She's lived here for 15 years and never bothered to become a citizen but this great country provided her with a FREE TRIAL furnished thanks to all the hard-working American citizens...
She didn't have a "free trial". She was probably represented by an attorney who took her case on a contingency basis. If she got paid, he got a third. If she didn't get "paid", he got to pay the expenses. That said, anyone injured in surgery has the right to compensation for their injuries. How juries decide the award, I don't know. She is lucky however. She could have died from peritonitis, necrosed her bowel, etc. One doesn't need to be a citizen to seek redress in the courts.
DawnCt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #32
JR6ooo4

The Dr. Seuss of Poo
Using kerosene lanterns for light? Kerosene, who are you kidding? When did they invent kerosene?

Location: Arlington Heights, Illinois (26 miles Northwest of Walt's Birthplace)

I saw a show that had all the inserted instruments labeled with a bar code. then scanned in before use then after, so a computer can keep track of all the many many items used. I don't know if that is used anyhwere.

Mikeeee
JR6ooo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #33
OctMtnWoods
That's where I want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglets Mommy View Post
Lol...Me either...I think we found ourselves a troll, though.

ETA: Sorry, somehow it didn't quote right. i was responding to kgle's post about how old this thread is.
I think someone decided to google their name and found the DIS.
OctMtnWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #34
Pin Wizard
I now have a new favorite at Barnies
Don't touch my FDNY Mickey pin!
Virginia girl @ heart

Quote:
I KNOW what happened in that operating room because I WAS THERE!!!! All of the nurse were crying their eyes out because the second tower collapsed DURING the c-section!!! The nurse who was RESPONSIBLE for COUNTING ths sponges thought her uncle was in the first tower!!!
Why were people in that room being kept up to date on the towers if they were in an OR with a patient? That alone is disturbing!

Seems the system needs to be changed if just one person is responsible for sponge count.
Pin Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #35
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2inPA View Post
That's why there's malpractice insurance, but the sponge was a FOOT long. That's why there are malpractice lawsuits (and should be no limits, IMO).
When they say a foot long sponge, they don't mean a sponge like a kitchen sponge. It's basically gauze which, if unrolled/unfolded, would be a foot long, but could actually only be 2 or 3 inches long if it was not unrolled or unfolded inside the body.

Just wanted to be clear on that.

FWIW, most medical people don't go to work every day saying "Let's see who I can harm today". Yes there are some bad apples, no doubt about that, but we generally try to weed them out pretty quickly...or at least we do at my place of employment. As Cool-Beans said, most if us live in fear that we will harm someone, not only because of the financial impact but because of the potential for the life-altering impact it can have on the patient who is harmed.

Believe me when I tell you, for most healthcare people, it's the biggest fear. Bigger than being injured by a confused or psychotic patient, bigger than being threatened by the family of a patient who is dying "If he dies, I'm coming back to kill you", bigger than being stuck by an HIV infected needle.

As far as amounts of awards for malpractice, they're big because generally the jury thinks "Oh my God this could happen to me". Being in health care, I don't think I could ever "go for the jugular" in terms of a malpractice award.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~

Last edited by Disney Doll; 03-19-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #36
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyIt'sMe View Post
Actually I saw a TV show once about things left in people after surgery and it happens more than you'd realize! Yikes!

They did have a segment on the show about a doctor that is trying to develop a better tracking system for OR tools/sponges/rags etc. He was looking at some kind of bar code/scanning system. Everything would be scanned before the surgery and then again after and the system would indicate what item(s) weren't scanned. I guess now items are manually counted and written down.
Actually, at our hospital we have RF Sponges, which have a radio type thing that you go over the patient with a scanner before closing them and if there's a sponge, it beeps so you can go back in and check some more. Sort of like a Geiger Counter.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #37
Charade
I'm the one on the LEFT side of my avatar!
Yanno, stooopid shouldn't be that funny
Poop flush, poop flush, poop flush, THEN wipe flush and so on

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgle View Post
I'll shield myself for saying this...

but here goes. While I understand lawsuits (sort of), $2.4 million? I guess I never understood why people need so much money. $2.4 million dollars would never make up for the fact that I couldn't have children or if my child didn't survive or something happened to him, that much money would never make it better. I am sure my attitude might change if something like that happens to me heaven forbid...

Can someone explain this to me? I could understand paying for medical treatment and lost wages, etc...but $2.4 million?
Punitive.
Offsite 97,99,00,01,02,03,04,05,05,06,07,08
Onsite CBR 06,Dolphin 08
Next trip: ????

This siggy approved by SwedishMeatball
Charade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #38
KSchwagg86
DIS Veteran

My grandmother had gauze left in her that caused all sorts of problems...probably could have sued, but didn't. This is scary!
KSchwagg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #39
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

I'm surprised the case ever went to trial. I would've thought it would've settled.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #40
ThirtyYearsAsNurse
Earning My Ears

Yes the OR nurse is the only one incharge of counting sponges. Each person has their own responsibilities. Other nurses were keeping everone in the OR up to date with the Towers, remember the whole nation was traumatized that morning! The "foot long" sponge was actually a very thin gauze, think toilet tissue stretched out, then scrunch it up..very small. The surgeon's assistant is the one who "blots" the surgical site during surgery, and holds open the area. The surgeon is the one responsible for cutting, removing the baby and suturing up the incision, he rarely even touches a gauze. The OR nurse counts instruments and guazes and documents the surgery, that is her sole responsibility. The patient did not "show up" at the ER, she came to our office ( I was the ARNP who saw her in the office!) I personally wheeled her to the ER, only because they were out of beds at the hospital and it was the only place to get her into the hospital. She was NEVER an ER patient. The doctor wrote all of the orders. The ER doctor was never supposed to step into this patients care and when he ordered the X-ray he did not document it! He never even wrote a doctors note to alert anyone that an order had been placed ( ANOTHER HOSPITAL MISTAKE the jurors never heard about!!). I cannot tell you how many incompetent people were involved with this situation. YES there was an offer for settlement but the doctor wasn't told!! The malpractice company refused it without even telling the doctor it existed. He was sold down the river because they KNEW she didn't have anything wrong with her. No she never had any complications related to this. The hospital paid her the max they could. NO I am not a "troller". I loved my job and my patients. Now my place of work is gone. I don't trust anyone anymore. After what happened to him I refuse to ever deliver another baby. Midwives are loving caretakers and MY patients miss me too, but I will not put my life in jeapordy for the sue happy conditions down here in South Florida. I was a Labor and delivery nurse for many years before I became a Midwife. I should have known better. I saw the writing on the wall. Not one doctor got away without being sued. I am very sad. If you had been through this you would understand. Her lawyers lied and lied! I now hate every lawyer on the planet, they are a bunch of money grubbing nasty people. They make up lies and the jurors believe them because they say it with a fake smile. There was no LIFE THREATENING injuries, she never missed ONE DAY of work!! She has NO problems at all!! Like I said 7 doctors testified she is perfectly healthy!
ThirtyYearsAsNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #41
Karlene
Earning My Ears

Unhappy

Hello all. I am Karlene Chambers, the women in the thread. I am 42 and my daughter is 11. The person 'ThiryYearsAsNurse' Is a liar. I am from Jamaica. And I missed work for 2 months (counting Christmas and Thanksgiving ) on jury duty and in the hospital. I didn't even win all my money. The lawyers took about 55%. I bought a house, and a car. And I don't know why the 'THirtyyearsasnurse' person is being rude and talking crap about me.

Ps: i just want to use this icon: :laundry: :woo hoo::f urious::confu sed3:b anana:
Karlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #42
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

This is a five year old thread and 3 years old from the last post.

Karlene, are you really going around Googling yourself to correct what another Internet poster has said about you?
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #43
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyAddict_M View Post
So this happens often?
It happens a lot more often than it should. I watched a news program recently about this subject. Even though they are supposed to count the sponges, ones get left behind. They say it happens more often in large individuals. A doctor in Florida is working on a strip that will be embedded in the sponges. They will have a wand device to pass over the patient. If any sponges are left inside, they will show up.

Wow. I just noticed how old this thread is.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #44
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

I know this is a twilight zone episode right.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #45
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

Awesome, 3 and 1/2 years to respond!
familyoffive is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: