Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2007, 04:08 AM   #1
fizz13
Dreams about being stuck on Space Mountain

The WDW Girly Tour - getting there

So we've been back a month, although with the weather turning cold, school starting, and other events at home...well it feels like a year ago to be honest. And this is why there has been such a delay getting this off the ground. But i know that if i wait any longer that i will forget all the detail and i really don't want to do that beacuse this trip was possibly the best WDW trip i have ever taken I want to start by thanking so sincerely michelle and carly for ebing such fantastic travel companions. We stayed for 6 nights at POFQ and there was not one moment all week where i felt any tension at all, we got along brilliantly, we all had the same disney enthusiasm, we loved the same rides and shows, and we shared in our mutual exhaustion and distaste of the extreme heat and humidity. For once i did not have to hold back if i wanted to cry, bounce around like tigger, get over excited about characters...in short i was a child all over again and they joined in whole heartedly, so to you two, thank you from the bottom of my heart and in future i really will try to walk a little slower...for some reason i always seemed to be 10 steps ahead

Now that i have finished gushing about my wonderful friends i will try to get on with the show! be warned that i have learnt that i am not very good at day by day reports so am going to group my threads into themes for hotel, each park etc.

We had a busy few days before we left as we flew on the 23rd but my birthday was on the 22nd, and i have to say i love my birthdays so much, it is time devoted to moi! And this year had been a bit of a fiesta it has to be said. Saturday 18th I had gone to see orlando bloom in his play and got an autograph, and spoken to the man himself. Tuesday 21st had been my birthday party and i was so happy that michelle was able to make the trip to be with us, it was touch and go with her whiplash, and we had a fantastic night, where i definately over-indulged. in my defence every time i came back to the table someone else had bought me a new drink. what is a girl to do? carly had gone to town with disney princess balloons, cake, sweeties, streamers....ummm it sounds like a 6 year olds's birthday doesn't it? but thats the thing with me, i refuse to grow up ever! a couple of pics for you:

my cake

Michelle

carly with then boyfriend (the less said the better )

me and my friend Colin

Needless to say i felt very rough on my actual birthday, but as its self inflicted i deserve no sympathy! i tried to finish my packing and it was when i was putting my hand luggage together that i realised i was missing something quite important: i had lost $500!!! I had left it on the kitchen counter with my planning folder, passport etc but it was nowhere to be found. hence the search through every drawer, bin liner and every thing else commenced. we never found it! Nor has it turned up to this day. i certainly don't think that anybody took it, it was just one of those things. Now if that wasn't bad enough, i made the decision to drive to Luton Airport at 9pm to change more money, i had the fear the heathrow wouldn't have enough $ in the morning, don't ask me why! luton airport is a 20 minute drive from my house, no big deal. My biggest mistake came next. i parked in the picking up zone and dashed in, thinking that my car would be ok while i got more $, WRONG!! i came out and my car was gone!! First thought stolen, second thought and the correct one, THEY HAD TOWED IT!! i sadly got the bus to the car park and went into the office. he could see how upset i was and thankfully only charged me £50 instead of the normal £160, I got home about 10:30, what a way to end a birthday Again no sympathy, i truly deserved it for not reading the signs better, and at least they are being vigilant for car bombs etc.
I was expecting my ex to be at the house by now to have the children but he finally turned up at 11:15pm, shocker and i tried to sleep, have to say i was worse than the advert, and prbably got 2 hours sleep before getting up at 4am to leave for Heathrow.

DISNEYLAND Anaheim 2005 WALT DISNEY WORLD dec91,jan02,jan05:mystic dunes aug06: polynesian, oct06:coronado springs,
aug07: pofq, dec07:allstarmovies-wilderness lodge, aug09: popcenturydec10: mystic dunes
DLRP-1998 Paris2000 Santa Fe2003 Val d'europe 2012 Cheyenne2013 sequoia lodge
fizz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:28 AM   #2
fizz13

Traffic was no problem and between me and carly we found the curbside valet for the parking. I went this route because we were at heathrow before 6am, and the shuttle buses don't start running regularly before this time. It was a great service though and i think it was worth the extra money, definately something i would do in future if travelling with the kids, imagine not having to lug 3 kids and luggage on the shuttle bus, bliss
We found check in and i decided that i wanted to do normal check-in instead of the computer terminals so i could sort seating together, stroke of genius because not only did we sit together, we got upgraded to Economy Plus This was with United btw. security took about 30 min and we had time for a lovely breakfast and a little shopping (only magazines and sweets but shopping all he same)
I had been stressing for weeks over the flight being delayed as we were getting a connecting flight in washington but we took off in plenty of time. I would definately fly United again, service was excellent, seat back tv entertainment all working as should be, good choice of food, and of course the extra legroom, very comfy and happy. We landed in washington 45 mins early which gave us plenty of time to find out how to connect. aagain needless worrying.
As we came into the terminal, connecting flights were clearly marked with purple arrows all the way down to the immigration hall. There was a big wait here but hardly any people, so they were doing their job very thoroughly that day Finally through, though not before the cute immigration guy flirted with carly and straight away was the luggage drop off point, could not have been easier. We had 60 mins to spare on what should have been a 75 min window but was actually 90 mins. Again the flight took off on time and we landed about 10 mins early to MCO. Of course no immigration to go through so off the plane and free!!
We had arranged to meet Michelle outside the Disney Store in the main concourse, i knew this was opposite to where Michelle would come through, but we had an hour to kill so Carly got her first taste of themed shops. She was so restrained and didn't buy anything, good girl!! we were getting txts from michelle saying she had landed, was in baggage etc, and i was so excited to see her!
We had big hugs and went down to get the luggage where our lovely towncar driver had been waiting for us. Here we are finally outside in the orlando air, btw what is it about that orlando smell? its like chlorine, heat and excitement, whatever it is, its the close to diney smell

I so wanted to get a piccie of the WDW arch on the way in and finally after years of trying got a half decent one:

WE'RE HERE, WE'RE HERE!!!!
there was no one waiting at POFQ when we pulled in, although check in took a little while as i had to pay the balance for the room, and as i have been behaving myself with money, there was no credit cards on this trip, i paid everything in cash. The CM and I triple checked the money to be sure and we were on our way!

DISNEYLAND Anaheim 2005 WALT DISNEY WORLD dec91,jan02,jan05:mystic dunes aug06: polynesian, oct06:coronado springs,
aug07: pofq, dec07:allstarmovies-wilderness lodge, aug09: popcenturydec10: mystic dunes
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2007, 04:37 AM   #3
Beth__WDW23/6/02
you can never mock anything until you have a try for yourself

Aww gorgeus pics,you all look great.
Shame about all the "hick up's" beforehand,but you got there YAY.
And yes I agree that smell isssss WOOOO you know you are in "disney".
Old 10-01-2007, 05:14 AM   #4
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

totally agree about the smell ...... you just know you're home

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:23 AM   #5
Gillsfan
Earning My Ears

Great start to the trippie Claire! So terrible about the money, parking fine though. Felt so sorry for you when Michelle told me.

Looking forward to the next bit. Ive kind of had a first hand report from the Mrs, but always nice to hear it again from your point of view.
Gillsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
angel659
Have A Magical Day

A great start Claire.

I cant thank you enough for inviting me. I was on holiday with the most wonderful friends. I had such a great time. You both made it magical

Here is my little bit.

After Claire kindly invited me along the girly tour. For months I was trying to book the same flights Claire and Carly were on. My dh and I agreed that if I was going to go I had to work extra hours (I am part-time) to pay for the holiday, because of our upcoming holiday. It took a while at first to get flexi shifts to pay for the flight. When I finally had the money Claire's same flights were £750ish (connecting flight). I could of booked Claires outbound flight to Chicago and catch the next flight (2 hours after Claires) to Orlando. I didnt want to arrive too late. I decided to fly on my own with Virgin Atlantic for £650.00. Not only was it cheaper than Claire's flight at the time, it meant it would be easier for Bruce to drop me off at the airport and collect me as well. Great all round. Needless to say Claire's flights dropped to £400 I think Dont you just loath hindesight

Wed 22nd August. The day before we all fly. I wake up in Claire's house after a great night out. I receive a text from Bruce saying that I had forgotten to take the child seats out of the car Bruce had to drop our dog off to the kennel before they closed. I had to make a quick exit that morning. Poor Claire she looked so tired and hung over. It was a great night.

I arrive home after hour and half drive home. To find out that I had lost my fitness to fly letter after my accident. The doctors were closed, so we couldnt get a replacement letter. While Bruce dropped Rox off to the kennels I was on the phone to Virgin explaining what had happened. Was told well I cant fly without that letter. "Oh dear"

Bruce came home and said he might of left it back at work, but once he drove the 45 mins to work it was not there. Panic stations set in. I phoned Virgin again. This time a lady put me on hold and said dont panic, because we faxed it over we have a copy. Your all set to go. Only problem was Bruce was stuck in Erith and had to drive to the nursery to drop the boys off while Casey and I were heading towards the cinema. She wanted to see Transformers before I left. Finally Bruce made it 45 mins before the film started. We had a meal before the cinema. We had a great last day together. We picked up the boys and had a nice evening.

Thur 23rd Aug. I set my alarm clock for 5.00am for a flight at 10:45. My fil agreed to watch the boys and Casey while Bruce took me to the airport. Once I checked in we had breakfast. No delays yet, which was great this meant I would be on time for Claire and Carly's flight. Once it was time for me to go through to departures Bruce walked with me as far as he could and then yes tears was flooding. A few people were looking at me, but the couple behind me were talking to me throughout trying to settle me. I think I had thier sympathy vote. As soon I went through security checks in floods of tears. Virgin announced thier gate number. I immediately start walking up to the gate, but I was too busy texting Bruce. I was already missing him I automatically followed the rest of the people. By the time I looked up I was in the wrong area of gates. I had to back track and this time I put my phone away and looked where I was going.

When I sat down I found out we had an hours delay before they even started to board. I text Bruce to let him know what was happening. Claire was going to ring Bruce, because I would be in the air when they landed in Chicago. 1hr 45 mins late we took off. Luckily the captian announced we would be taking a short cut and we only be 30 mins late. My TV was jammed under the chair, due to my neck injury Virgin gave me bulk seats. There were no other bulk seats. Yes I was upgraded to P.E. My god was it great. If I had never experienced it for free I would not think to ever upgrade in the future. I now had a bulk seat window seat in P.E The flight was great it flew by. Before we knew it we were landing.

I text Claire when I landed. Poor Claire and Carly were waiting for me. I was trying to run to security to get to Claire and Carly as quick as I could. I finally met up. It was great. We were so excited. It was amazing.

We stepped outside of the airport. The wonderful smell of Florida hit me. I was in heaven. After a quick comfortable journey we arrived at the hotel. It was so pretty.

Finally we were all home.

(Not a quick report from me LOL.)
Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 AM   #7
carolfoy
One has Ones hat and One's orf...
and she's back with a vengeance!
looks like someones reads the crap we write then!

I love the smell comment Clare, I always feel th esame when I breathe that in.

great pic of the arch by the way
Old 10-01-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Lovely photos Claire
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #9
Obi Wan Kenobi
DIS Veteran

So what did carly forget or lose??

are you sure you three are safe on your own?

Excellent TR start to hopefully an excellent holiday for you all.
Obi Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:17 AM   #10
fizz13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi View Post
So what did carly forget or lose??
Absolutely nothing, she was so together even with pregnancy brain as you will see though, her ticket drama was far from over thanks for stopping by.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #11
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

A great start and lovely piccies too

I'm off to read somemore

Mandy

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #12
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great reports!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Great start girls and you all got upgraded you lucky things
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #14
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

I am so loving reading this.

Claire can't believe you never found that money. I was so sure it would turn up when you got home. I didn't find my money either but that because I had forgotten that I did not get cash but had loaded my amex instead! Stupid me. I have since used the money on the amex for annual dues on my DVC as amex is cancelling their travellers cheque cards soon.

Looking forward to reading more. It sounds so wonderful

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:28 AM   #15
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Brilliant start Claire and Michelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: