Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
KellyJ
O2BNWDW

Best way to carry refrigerated Medicine on plane??

DH need to keep his diabetic medication refrigerated at all times. I've reviewed the TSA guidelines and see that gel packs or frozen items needed for medication are allowed on the plane, but what is the best kind to use and where can I get it? Is there a special "carrier" or anything that will keep it cool through the flight and until we can get into our room?

TIA!
Kelly

September ’89 - Polynesian, October '92 - Polynesian, January '95 - Contemporary, October '97 - Contemporary,
December '98 - Shades of Green, February '01 - Contemporary, January '02 - Beach Club, October '03 - Swan,
October '05 - Dolphin/POFQ, October '07 – Polynesian, October ’08 - Dolphin, May '09 - Swan, March '10 - Boardwalk
KellyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
DaDisneyMomma
Earning My Ears

At about any pharmacy, you can purchase an insulin carry bag with removeable refrigerated gel packs...I've had mine for about 5 years now and use it daily...when you get to the hotel, or to the park, you can go to the front desk and tell them you have insulin that needs to be kept cool and they will store it for you...Hope this helps!!
DaDisneyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
KellyJ
O2BNWDW

Ah, Thank you, DaDisneyMomma! That's just what I needed to know! Have you had any trouble going through security with it at the airport?

K

September ’89 - Polynesian, October '92 - Polynesian, January '95 - Contemporary, October '97 - Contemporary,
December '98 - Shades of Green, February '01 - Contemporary, January '02 - Beach Club, October '03 - Swan,
October '05 - Dolphin/POFQ, October '07 – Polynesian, October ’08 - Dolphin, May '09 - Swan, March '10 - Boardwalk
Old 09-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
DaDisneyMomma
Earning My Ears

I've never flown with my insulin...I guess you could go to tsa.gov and check the guidelines...also, I just found this site where you can order the bags on-line...

medicool.com/diabetes/diabetes_travel.php
DaDisneyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

My DH (Type 1) uses the Frio.
http://www.coolerconcept.com/
Old 09-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

I just use a small lunch pack with a gel insert. Works fine.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:09 PM   #7
KellyJ
O2BNWDW

Thanks Everyone! We usually use just a regular lunchpak with a frozen ice thingy, but he's on a new medication now that he'll need to keep with us on the plane and then in the park, so I wondered if there was something that would work a little better. The insulin carry packs sound like they'll be just what we need!

Thanks again!
K

Old 09-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
wdhinn89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyJ View Post
Thanks Everyone! We usually use just a regular lunchpak with a frozen ice thingy, but he's on a new medication now that he'll need to keep with us on the plane and then in the park, so I wondered if there was something that would work a little better. The insulin carry packs sound like they'll be just what we need!

Thanks again!
K
We always use a softpack cooler with gel ice packs for the air travel. We have never had a problem. We always told security my son was a diabetic and we had supplies
The first aid station at each of the four parks will store your insulin in their refrigerater. First aid is also a nice, clean, private place to adminster insulin. My son combined two insulins into one syringe and took two shots per day.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
tinkerbell_29
DIS Veteran

I have always carried mine in a soft cooler. On the top I have it labled with my name, cell #, and medical supplies. I was the gel packes inside. I've never had a problem with TSA. I just tell them that it is diabetic supplies and they just put it through the x-ray machine. I also carry my cooler in the park and never had a problem. You can also store medicine at the first aid station. Hope you have a good trip.

Lissa
tinkerbell_29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: