Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
MarkBarbieri
Semi-retired

1963 - Disneyland Video

I am in the process of digitizing my father's library of 8mm and Super 8mm movie film. I came across these shots of Disneyland in 1963. I thought some people here might enjoy seeing them.

I'm still working on my video post-processing skills, so the quality isn't that great. If you have any suggestions for improvement, feel free to make express them.

1963 - Disneyland
Old 09-22-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Amy
MamaGrumpy

Neat video! I take it that's you in the stroller?

Here's an old photo I found a while ago - my brother and I with Snow White. And this is also taken in 1963; maybe we were there at the same time and had a DIS meet and didn't know it!

June 1999 - Port Orleans (now POFQ) June 2001 - POFQ/HRH June 2003 - WL/HRH July 2004 - DL/Calif Adv June 2005 - WL/HRH Dec. 2005 - WL (DS band trip!) June 2007 - WL/HRH Nov./Dec. 2007 - Pop (band trip with both DS's!) Oct 2011 - Pop
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
MarkBarbieri
Semi-retired

That was my brother. I didn't come along until a couple of years later.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Master Mason

Can't stand tomatoes in the larval stage

I loved that pirate ship in Fantasyland.
Master Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
poconoboatniks
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing. My first trip to Disney wasn't until 9 years later and it was to WDW.
4/2003 Western Magic, 4/2004 Eastern Magic, 2/2005 4 night Wonder, 5/28/05 Inaugural West Coast Cruisers, 6/2005 1st trip to Disneyland, 8/2005 Coronado Springs, 9/2005 Port Orleans Riverside Happiest Pin Celebration,4/8/06 Western Magic, 8/2006 Port Orleans Riverside, 9/7/06 POR It All Started With...Walt Pin Celebration, 12/24/06 Surprise Trip to Disneyland, 5/26/07 Inaugural Mediterranean Cruisers, 4/08 Candy Cane Inn & DL
poconoboatniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
DueyDooDah
DIS Veteran

Mark

How cool! Your dad had a steady hand on the camera. Smooth motion. I have alot of stuff here that my dad shot, also but have not had the time to go through it. Pics and video. We lived near DL all my childhood ('50s - early '70) and went many times a year, so there is alot to play with. I hope to get to it sometime soon. What digitizing software/hardware are you using?

And, did you notice that everyone seems shorter back then?

It's been over 24 hours since I was at WDW.
I don't think I can wait any longer.
DueyDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
YEKCIM
DIS Veteran

WAY cool, Mark. Only suggestion would be to maybe add some audio, like you did with your WDW slideshow.

Is there more "footage" to come?

~Ed
YEKCIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
MarkBarbieri
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueyDooDah View Post
How cool! Your dad had a steady hand on the camera. Smooth motion. I have alot of stuff here that my dad shot, also but have not had the time to go through it. Pics and video. We lived near DL all my childhood ('50s - early '70) and went many times a year, so there is alot to play with. I hope to get to it sometime soon. What digitizing software/hardware are you using?

And, did you notice that everyone seems shorter back then?
I'm using a Workprinter XP projector and am capturing it with a Canon XH A1 in standard def. I use a program called Cinecap to do the frame-by-frame capture and upconvert it from 15fps to 30fps. Once I have the video, I use Sony Vegas for post production, adjusting brightness, contrast, noise reduction (using Neat Video), and sharpening. I just started playing with the post production tools this morning.

I've been searching for a good dust removal plug-in, but I haven't found anything affordable yet.

I've also been tuning my capture technique. I may need to go back a recapture some shots. I've got the video camera set up for 30fps progressive scans (not sure if that matters given my frame-by-frame capture technique, but I didn't want interlaced). I record in manual mode with a 1/30 shutter speed and whatever aperture results in a good exposure. I'm thinking about boosting my shutter speed to 1/60 because I get a little smearing on some high contrast situations. I suspect that the long shutter speed may be contributing to the problem.

Unfortunately, I'm making up my technique as I go. I don't know anyone that's done anything like this and I haven't had good luck looking for useful information online. Every time I try to search for things to fix grain, scratches, dust, or whatever, I find tools that take perfectly good video and mess it up so that it looks like it is film. I guess that's either easier or more popular than taking film and making it look like it's video.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
MarkBarbieri
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEKCIM View Post
WAY cool, Mark. Only suggestion would be to maybe add some audio, like you did with your WDW slideshow.

Is there more "footage" to come?

~Ed
I'm pretty sure that there is a trip to WDW in '72 and another trip to Disneyland in the late '70s. There might also be a trip to WDW in the early '80s.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
YEKCIM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBarbieri View Post
I'm pretty sure that there is a trip to WDW in '72 and another trip to Disneyland in the late '70s. There might also be a trip to WDW in the early '80s.
Wow! Can't wait to see those. My first trip to WDW was in '74, when I was young and had hair. I'm too embarrassed to post any pix of me made back then, due to my...um...attire.

Oh, I have another suggestion concerning sound track. Can you get hold of a looping "8mm film projector" sound to accompany your videos? I "converted" my dad's old Super 8 stuff to video a few years back via the project-on-screen-and-videotape-it method. Worked pretty good, and captured the sound of the projector in living stereo (along with dog barking, phone ringing, Mrs Y. issuing commands, etc).

Thanks for sharing the vid; looking forward to the next episode.

~Ed
YEKCIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:06 AM   #11
orchjoe
I am lost in Magic Kingdom!

Great

That movie was great
Its like a disneyland promotion video. When I was watching it I had an anouncer voice in my head....
Old 09-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
mabas9395
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBarbieri View Post

Unfortunately, I'm making up my technique as I go. I don't know anyone that's done anything like this and I haven't had good luck looking for useful information online. Every time I try to search for things to fix grain, scratches, dust, or whatever, I find tools that take perfectly good video and mess it up so that it looks like it is film. I guess that's either easier or more popular than taking film and making it look like it's video.
I also use Sony Vegas and while I can't help you with the dust/scratches problem, there are some very good Sony Vegas forums out there with a lot of professional videographers who might be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #13
DisneySuiteFreak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabas9395 View Post
I also use Sony Vegas and while I can't help you with the dust/scratches problem, there are some very good Sony Vegas forums out there with a lot of professional videographers who might be able to point you in the right direction.
Could you post some links to the forums? I have Sony Vegas and would love to check out these forums.
Thanks!
DisneySuiteFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:03 PM   #14
mabas9395
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneySuiteFreak View Post
Could you post some links to the forums? I have Sony Vegas and would love to check out these forums.
Thanks!
The one at the Sony site is the most active.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/default.asp

http://forums.digitalmedianet.com/cg...-foundry_vegas

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/f106
Old 09-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #15
DisneySuiteFreak
DIS Veteran

Mark, your video and slideshow was amazing! Really cool stuff!
DisneySuiteFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: