Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
DinDin233
Mouseketeer

A Pre Trip Report in Memory of My Brother - Disney in December 2007 UPDATE 11/26!!!

Hi everyone! I’m a long time lurker, but recent poster on these wonderful boards. It feels good to know there are other people out there who love Disney as much as I do! (My DBF is convinced I’m crazy…) I am forever on my Sidekick scrolling through trip reports, that my DBF has more often than not tried to grab it out of my hands and throw it out the window!!!! But I digress….

Maybe I should give you a little bit of background on my title of this pre-trip report. I originally wanted to title this “Making My Way to Disney in December or “How I Convinced BDF that Coronado Springs is just like Mexico!!” For any of you who have ever watched Rocky and Bullwinkle, I was always a fan of how at the end of each episode they gave you two titles for next week’s show. But I ultimately, decided to write this report as part of the healing process after losing my brother.

My brother died last year at the age of 21. He was a volunteer firefighter , a volunteer EMT and a full time college student. One month before his graduation, my brother lead the way into a burning house to save an elderly resident. Unfortunately, the floor collapsed on their way out of the house sending my brother and his crew and the elderly woman into the burning basement where the fire started. My brother died as well as the elderly woman. His crew however was saved. Here’s a picture of my brother in his Class A uniform:

It’s been so hard for my parents and I to accept the fact that he’s gone. You see, he was larger than life. 240 lbs and he stood at 6’ tall. And while by outward appearances you might not ever assume this, he had the biggest heart I have ever been in contact with. He was my heart and ever since he’s been gone, I’ve been empty.

Being on these boards and reading about Disney gives me an escape from the harsh realities that life can occur. Disney is and was OUR happy place. I’ve been visiting Disney since I was nine months old and have been there more times than I can count. (I’ve only listed vacations in my sig that I can actually remember.) And I’ve decided to visit Disney in December because I know it’s someplace where my brother and my memories with him can come alive. Because Disney is where magic lives…

UP NEXT: My Cast or Characters or How I Dragged my non-Disney loving DBF with me!!!

Last edited by DinDin233; 11-26-2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Wanted to Update Title
Old 09-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
xoMinnieox
I'm a disney girl :)

I'm so sorry to hear about you Brother... But I'm very excited to read your pre-Trippe

I've been BOO'd by Mtblujeans!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
DinDin233
Mouseketeer

My Cast of Characters or How I Dragged my non-Disney loving DBF with me!!!

Me: 25, Obsessive Compulsive List Maker, Packer, and Lover of all things Disney…I am a Croc-wearing, Baggalini Carrying, TGM-er…..I have two fur babies…a Chihuahua named Chico and my brother’s dog that he saved from the shelter, a pitbull “mix” named Cinnamon……….

Here is Cinnamon:

Isn’t she pretty? She is the least ferocious doggy you will ever meet. She enjoys belly rubs, her stuffed cow and generally being lazy…lol…

Here’s a pic of me and my goddaughter being silly with the tikis at ‘Ohana:

DBF: 29, Does not understand my fascination with all things Disney and is currently regretting his decision to even come along on this trip. You see, dear readers, he wanted to go back to the Dominican Republic like last year, but after much begging and pleading, he said he would go to Disney for me. Isn’t he great?! He is also a dog lover, he has one fur baby named Max who is a 140 lb. Rottweiler!!! But Maximus does not realize his size and all too often will try to climb into your lap….DBF will hereby be named Donald because that’s his favorite character and they share some of the same attributes……….

Here’s a pic of Donald wearing a hat I wanted to throw overboard!!!

NEXT UP: More PICS!!! or Is Anyone Even Reading This?!?!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
DinDin233
Mouseketeer

My first reader!!!!

Thanks xoMinnieox!!!! I am so excited to have you aboard!

PS-Thanks for the hug..
Old 09-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
DinDin233
Mouseketeer

MORE PICS!!! And I do have one person reading my report!!!

Here's a pic from my June 2007 trip with my parents and goddaughter...

Our first night at 'Ohana...

And a firehouse for my brother...

Old 09-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

You are not alone. I am hopping on board for the ride.

We can heal together and cry together.

Looking forward to hearing more....

Last edited by jordanyosh; 09-20-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
Avivasmom
DIS Veteran

First off my heart goes out to you and your family for your brother. He is a HERO.

I am on board and loving the pictures...what a beautiful family you have. Cannot wait to read more.
Offsite (3 times), CBR Dec 2004, POR May 2005, AKL Nov 2005, CSR May 2006,POFQ June 2006,POFQ Nov 2006, BWV July/Aug 2007, BCV Nov 2007, POFQ Jan 2008, June 2008 SSR, AKV Aug 2008, SSR Oct 2008, SSR 2009
Aug 2010 BCV/BWV, Dec 2010 BCV/POFQ SEPT 2011 POFQ

Upcoming:
Hoping either BCV or BWV March 2011
Old 09-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
DinDin233
Mouseketeer

More Readers!!!

jordanyosh: Thank you so much for your kind words. It's always so difficult to lose someone so young and so quickly. I'm so happy that you found my pre-trippie because I am addicted to yours! Your family is so filled with life and I love that you are able to have so much of your family come together at Disney. I am trying to plan a Grand Gathering for 2009 so cross your fingers!!!

Avivasmom: Thank you for joining in and for your words about my DB. I feel blessed to have had him in my life and I thank God that there are people in this world just like him who are willing to risk their lives for strangers. Aviva is beautiful and she is so lucky to have a mommy like you to take her to Disney!!! Stay tuned for more!!!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #9
DinDin233
Mouseketeer

Our Itinerary! or How Much Fun Can We Pack Into 6 Days!!!

I have booked the Magic Your Way Package with Dining from December 12-17 staying at the Coronado Springs. I’m a little nervous since I’ve never stayed anywhere else but the Contemporary, but unfortunately, our budget will only allow us to stay at a Mod. I hope we’ll be okay with the Disney transportation!! Usually, we have the monorail and a rental car, so I’ve become spoiled with the transit times. I’m going to have to make sure that I give myself an hour to get anywhere in the World!!

Anyway, here’s what I have so far in my itinerary:

December 12 : Trying to fly in early morning
Epcot
Dinner at Marrakesh at 6:30
Illuminations at 9:30pm

December 13: MGM
Dinner at Primetime Café at 5:30
Hopefully squeeze in Fantasmic at 7
Osbourne Family of Lights

December 14: Magic Kingdom!!!
Not sure about what I want to do this evening…..
Have dinner ressies at Wolfgang Puck’s at 7:30
Maybe Pleasure Island??
(This evening plan might change)

December 15: Animal Kingdom
Need to see Jingle Jungle Parade at 3:45
Dinner at 5:40 at California Grill (if anyone is canceling a later reservation please let me know!!!)
MK in evening for Wishes and EMH until 1!!

December 16: Epcot
(This morning I have a surprise booked for my DBF and since he’s reading this pre-trippie I can’t share right now!!)
Dinner at 5:20 at Coral Reef with CP Package
8:15 Candelight Processional

December 17: Leaving Day….(I am already depressed thinking about it)
I haven’t planned what to do today, but we’ll have some time in a park since our flight will be that evening..

What do you guys think???

PS- I might extend our stay by a day because I really want to go to MVMCP and I don’t have any days to do it right now!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Looks good so far

I would stay the extra day Can't have too much WDW.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinDin233 View Post
I have booked the Magic Your Way Package with Dining from December 12-17 staying at the Coronado Springs. I’m a little nervous since I’ve never stayed anywhere else but the Contemporary, but unfortunately, our budget will only allow us to stay at a Mod. I hope we’ll be okay with the Disney transportation!! Usually, we have the monorail and a rental car, so I’ve become spoiled with the transit times. I’m going to have to make sure that I give myself an hour to get anywhere in the World!!

Anyway, here’s what I have so far in my itinerary:

December 12 : Trying to fly in early morning
Epcot
Dinner at Marrakesh at 6:30
Illuminations at 9:30pm

December 13: MGM
Dinner at Primetime Café at 5:30
Hopefully squeeze in Fantasmic at 7
Osbourne Family of Lights

December 14: Magic Kingdom!!!
Not sure about what I want to do this evening…..
Have dinner ressies at Wolfgang Puck’s at 7:30
Maybe Pleasure Island??
(This evening plan might change)

December 15: Animal Kingdom
Need to see Jingle Jungle Parade at 3:45
Dinner at 5:40 at California Grill (if anyone is canceling a later reservation please let me know!!!)
MK in evening for Wishes and EMH until 1!!

December 16: Epcot
(This morning I have a surprise booked for my DBF and since he’s reading this pre-trippie I can’t share right now!!)
Dinner at 5:20 at Coral Reef with CP Package
8:15 Candelight Processional

December 17: Leaving Day….(I am already depressed thinking about it)
I haven’t planned what to do today, but we’ll have some time in a park since our flight will be that evening..

What do you guys think???

PS- I might extend our stay by a day because I really want to go to MVMCP and I don’t have any days to do it right now!

Here's my personal take on Disney Transportation. As much as you would like to believe that the bus system is perfect, it is not. It is very fluid and always changing; therefore, it is very hard to predict. You have it right that you should allow yourself an hour to go from one place to another. It rarely takes that long, but allow that in your plans just in case. It usually take 15-20 minutes including waiting at the bus stop to get to where you want to go.

Another bit of advice, try not to leave a park right after a big parade or after fireworks. Bus stops are mobbed and you may find yourself waiting additional time.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
DinDin233
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
Looks good so far

I would stay the extra day Can't have too much WDW.
My thoughts exactly!!!

Now I just have to get that extra day off work!
Old 09-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #13
Avivasmom
DIS Veteran

We stayed at CSR in May of 2006 and found their buses the best. Many people there were for conventions so never had to wait long or worry about seats. It was great.

We are eating at CG again for our anniversary...cannot wait.
Offsite (3 times), CBR Dec 2004, POR May 2005, AKL Nov 2005, CSR May 2006,POFQ June 2006,POFQ Nov 2006, BWV July/Aug 2007, BCV Nov 2007, POFQ Jan 2008, June 2008 SSR, AKV Aug 2008, SSR Oct 2008, SSR 2009
Aug 2010 BCV/BWV, Dec 2010 BCV/POFQ SEPT 2011 POFQ

Upcoming:
Hoping either BCV or BWV March 2011
Old 09-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #14
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Hey I made it! Great start to your TR! Looking forward to more!

I also agree that you should stay an extra day and go to MVMCP! It was SOOO much fun and there are NO LINES for any of the rides! Plus they give out free hot chocolate and cookies! GO!!!!!!!

I am very sorry to hear about your brother! He truly is a hero! Hugs to you and your family!

And Cinnamon is ADORABLE! I would SOOOO rub her belly!!
Old 09-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #15
DinDin233
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba22 View Post
Hey I made it! Great start to your TR! Looking forward to more!

I also agree that you should stay an extra day and go to MVMCP! It was SOOO much fun and there are NO LINES for any of the rides! Plus they give out free hot chocolate and cookies! GO!!!!!!!

I am very sorry to hear about your brother! He truly is a hero! Hugs to you and your family!

And Cinnamon is ADORABLE! I would SOOOO rub her belly!!
Hi Simba22!!! I'm so happy you made it over to my pre trippie! Thanks for the hugs!! Your DBF and DB are heros too and I am sure you're soo proud of them.

I have decided to stay the extra day just need to get in touch with my TA and get it done...

As for Cinnamon, she's lying at my feet right now!

Can't believe you're leaving in 13 days!!! I'm jealous!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: