Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

I Can't Believe I Invited My MIL -I'm BAAACK! And determiend to finish this thing!

Do you ever do something without thinking? Something you look back on later, smack your head, and say "Hello??? Stupid????" If this is a disease, I definitely have it. And it may be catching. Just consider yourself forewarned.

We are going to WDW in 47 days. We are bringing along my MIL. No one tied me down, gagged me, shoved bamboo shoots under my fingernails and FORCED me to invite her. Oh, no.... I INVITED HER MYSELF. I actually sat down one day, wrote her an email, and let her know she was more than welcome to come to WDW with us on our next trip in November 2007. She was immediately on board.

What??? What did you ask me just now? Oh, no. No, I was not under the influence of mind-altering drugs or suffering from an extremely high fever. You see, I have two kids, 5 and 3, and I thought having an extra adult along would make things easier on us all. While I admit I had not thought out all the details (like being with my MIL for 7 days, 24 HOURS A DAY), I can still see some merit in my idea. Some. A little bit. A smidgen of merit.

You might be asking yourself, does this chick even GET ALONG with her MIL? Good question. Hard to answer. Stay tuned, and I might have a better answer for you in approximately 64 days. If I come back alive.

Let's get to the cast.... I'll start with the MIL, because you've got to be curious by now...

MIL (55): A highly active, in shape, and extremely generous grandmother who lives for her grandkids. She spoils them rotten, actually. In fact, this is the root of most of our "issues." She thinks candy and cake are a perfectly reasonable meal. And when the kdis do need some nutrition, how about some Pork and beans??? It was good enough for her son!! I should state here that she is not a meddling, nosey, know-it-all type MIL. In fact, she is very sweet. She lives in Illinios; we live in SC. She visits few times a year and stays with us for a week, so I have some experience in being around her full time. When I spend an afternoon with her, I adore her. A week.....Well....... I am going to call her the Fairy GRANDmother, because she offered to pay for a pretty good-sized chunk of this trip. (NO! That is NOT why I invited her! What cynics you all are!)

Me (33): I love WDW. Everyone who knows me knows I love this place. I have been about a dozen times, maybe one or two more than that. I also love Disney movies, and forced the Disney Princesses on my 3 year old as soon as she could hold up her own head (it worked - she loves them!!). I am not someone who decorates with Disney stuff or wears Mickey Mouse T-shirts and jewelry. I love those things on other people. I am just someone who keeps my Disney-love on the DL. Or the QT, if you prefer. Not out of any kind of shame, mind you, just because I do. I obsessively planned this trip, as my DH and MIL have not been to WDW since the year before Epcot opened, so I want to show them how AWESOME it is. I

DH (35): I am going to call him Donald . He is not a duck, and he does not wear a sailor suit (very often). The reason for his moniker is that he can be alternately sweet, shy, hilarious and has a mean temper at times. He has been known to throw a husband-tantrum from time to time. I just ignore him. They blow over quick, and he turns right back into sweet Donald, bringing his Daisy flowers and worshiping the ground she walks on, all the time marveling that a duck like her could possibly love a duck like him (I am Daisy in this scenario). Donald is getting more excited about this trip than I ever thought he would. He can't wait to ride ToT, eat at 'Ohana and ride the monorail. But I fully expect some Donald-moments, so stay tuned for the drama....

DS (5): I am going to call him Buzz. I am not sure why. Buzz is not actually his favorite Disney character, though he does love the affable Space Ranger. His fave is probably Lightening McQueen, but he shares very little in common with a car. And he wants to play the Buzz ride/game in Tomorrowland so bad he can taste it, so Buzz it is. He is a sweet boy, just started kindergarten. He is patient and easy-going. Loves to laugh and to eat. I expect between his love of sweets and treats and my MIL's insistence that chocolate is a basic nutritional staple, he'll gain 10-15 pounds on the trip. Here he is:

DD (3): I should refer to her as Stitch , because like good ole 626, she is Naughty, But Good. In fact, I have made her a T-shirt to wear at WDW that says exactly this. Howeevr, Stitch is ugly and blue, and she is pretty and not-blue. So we'll call her THE PRINCESS. Yes. All caps are necessary here; you'll see why. Here is the little angel now:

Let me just state here that I have my kids completely indoctrinated in WDW lore, magic and excitement. They absolutely cannot wait. They have spent hours watching parades on You Tube, pouring over the Disney site, and discussing which balloons and trinkets they want to buy as soon as we get there.

Our Family (minus MIL):

By the way, I think my face looks a little weird in this picture. It is not normally this puffy, or square.

No pics of MIL in yet....Just picture here with horns and a grren face Totally kidding!!!! She is a pretty cute 55 year old lady, actually. Pics of her and details of the trip in the next installment....Coming up.....right....about......

OK, ok, I have succumbed to the pressure to add an Index of sorts to help you all naviagte through all the foolishness and frivolity that has ensued here in my delightful little PTR (though, quite frankly, the foolishness and frivolity are the best part, so not sure why anyone would want to skip it - serisously, my readers are much more entertaining that the details of my trip planning...)

PRE-TRIPPIE

Installment 1: I Can't Believe I Invited My MIL - You are looking at it
Installment 2: The Itinerary - Page 1
Installment 3: PLanning Madness - Page 1
Installment 4: Matching T-Shirt Hysteria - Page 2
Installment 5: More T-shirts - Page 2
Installment 6 - Yet More T-Shirts - Page 2
Installment 7: Shopping Makes Time Go Faster - Page 3
Installment 7(a): More Tees - Page 4
Installment 8: A Fun Mail Day (kind of) - Page 4
Installment 9: Actual Travel Docs - Page 5
Installment 10: Countdown Calendar - Page 6
Installment 11: Planning Notebook - Page 7
Installment 12: Packing the Park Bag! - Page 10
Mini Installment - Page 13
Installment #Who Knows?: I Slack No More - Page 16

TRIPPIE
Day One - Part A: Page 24
Day One - Part B: Page 24

Day Two -MK - Page 39
Day Three - DHS - Page 39
Deconstructing Park Crap - Page 40
Day 4 - Epcot - Page 41
EPCOT Picture posts - page 42

Again, I urge you not to skip all the fun in between...I ramble on about quite a few entertaining issues, and then there are all the incriminating MIl pics, as well as a planning binder buying beer. It really is fun, people.

Last edited by Jiminy'sGirl; 12-14-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #2
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Installment #2 - The Itinerary

Ok, so two things you should know about me....
1. I am long winded. Can't help. Deal with it. Itype fast and think fast, which can be a deadly combo when you're trying to breeze thru a trippie. But let's be honest...Many of you are just going to scroll thru and look at the pics anyway, aren't you??? We all do it - let's just admit it.

2. Some of my pics are going to be too big. I know, it is annoying. I am sorry. But I love pics and I have to have a gajillion in a TR to make it worth looking at. And I size them down, but sometimes it just doesn't take. I think my Photoshop is on the fritz. So deal with that, too.

OK, where were we?? Ah, yes.... My itinerary....We are staying at ASMu, and there is a long story to that. We basically de-evolved down the WDW ladder of resorts. Scroll past the next paragraph if you just don't care about how we ended up there....

When I approached Donald about this trip, we both agreed we wated to stay at Poly. I have stayed there once before and loved it, and he remembered seeing it from the monorail on his one trip to WDW in 1980-something. Well, then I got smart and invited MIL (see? it all comes back to this). Poly dreams were over... We now were a "family of 5" and we all know how limited those options were. With adding one more DDP, one more set of 5-Day passes, etc., we could not to two rooms or a suite at Poly. We switched to POR. Buzz was thrilled about sleeping on that trundle bed. Everyone was happy. The MIL visited for a week a few weeks ago, in August. After a hard day of spoiling my kids and sneaking them corn-syrup laden goodies, she fell asleep on the couch. AND SHE SNORED. And snored. Not normal snoring, but 400-lb. man with sleep apnea snoring. And she weighs about 110 soaking wet. It was scary. I knew right then and there we had to have two rooms. The very next day, the codes were announced. Pandemonium swept the DIS. I got caught up in all that hysteria, called Disney, and used the magical code to book two rooms at ASMu - that was literally all that was left. We saved some substantial moolah. Donald was not happy to have downgraded so far, but what are you gonna do? We'll do this all again next year and make our Poly dreams come true (minus MIL).

OK, so there you have it. We'll be in two rooms at ASMu. I have stayed there many many times, as I coach a pom squad and we go to WDW each February for a National competition (I know - now you hate me). We also have the DDP and 5-day park tickets, no Hoppers. I have answered many posts (To Hop or Not to Hop, that is the question) about hopping, so if you are curious as to why we are not hopping, please do a search and you can learn all about my throught process here.

Now, I know I promised a pic of my MIL , and it is coming.....Stay with me here...

Here is our itinerary....
Sunday, 11/4
Leave SC at 7am
2pm - Arrive ASMu, check in
3-6pm - unpack, roam the resort, grab a snack, buy autograph books in the gift shop
6pm - Head to DTD to buy a new hoodie - must have one each trip; kids also need Potato Head pieces and candy and other junk7:30pm - dinner at DTD -something easy, probably Earl
Head back to resort for a good night's sleep (I hope)

Monday, Nov. 5
7:30 - hop on bus to MK (we hope to hop on, that is)
9am - Rope Drop (1st day must-do for me)
Explore Fantasyland, work around thru Frontierland to Adeventureland
Lunch: CHH
Use parade time to ride
Dinner: LTT @ 5:30
7pm - Spectro
Go Back to resort

Tuesday, Nov. 6
Wake up leisurely (which means around 7am for us)
Head to MK
Toontown, Tomorrowland
Lunch: Cosmic Rays (I guess - but this day is pretty open)
Ride Buzz 6087 times
3pm - See Parade. Must not miss this.
5:45 - dinner at 'Ohana. Eat until our pants don't fit.
After dinner - get some drinks, wander the Poly.
Wishes
Home to bed.

Wednesday, Nov. 7
9am (or thereabouts) - MGM
Ride Tot and RnRc
See Beauty and Beast, Ariel for THE PRINCESS, Star Wars a MUST for Donald and Buzz, Muppets a must for me
Lunch: Pizza Planet (could it be anything else for Buzz?)
3pm - Parade (love this parade!)
5:25 - dinner @ PrimeTime
7pm - Fantasmic
Home to bed

Thursday, Nov. 8
Sleep in (yeah, right)

11am - Head to Epcot
**We'd like to ride Soarin' and See Turtle talk. The rest is gravy. I'd love to explore WS, but my kids HATE IT and turn into WHINY BRATS when there. Not sure why).
7pm - dinner @ Teppan Edo (well, we hope....if it is open)
9pm - IllumiNations (maybe, if kids have energy left)

Friday, Nov. 9
8am - AK
I'll be honest, I have not really thought out this day yet. I know I want to ride EE and see FOLK. Other than that, we'll do what the kids want for as long as they want. I love the atmosphere of this park, but there is not much I HAVE to see.
As for meals - WHO KNOWS?? Every restaurant in the place is closed down while we are there, it seems. Maybe I'll pack a bag lunch. No, seriously....

Saturday, Nov. 10
Sea World
Head Home to SC

So there ya have it. I tried not to pack the week too full. There should be ample time for resting and taking in the ambience. But no naps. We don't nap. If we head back to the resort it will be to swim or play in the arcade. My children are high octane (heaven help me).

Now, here is it....The long awaited photo of The Fairy GRANDmother....

Coming up next....Planning Madness!!! Pictures of homemade T-Shirts, my kid-itineraries (thanks for that idea, Dis!), and more!!!

Last edited by Jiminy'sGirl; 10-11-2007 at 04:08 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
Phedre
I only like to blink while the road is fully paved and bright!

Great pre-trip so far! :D You are very, very brave to invite your MIL... My poor dh has to travel with his every time though and I think he is okay with it so hopefully you'll have a great trip too! :D Your family is very beautiful

82 off-site * Mar 86 CR * Apr 87 Poly * Dec 87 Poly * Mar 89 CBR * Dec 90 CBR * Mar 93 CBR * Mar 94 PO * Apr 95 ASMu * Nov 95 CBR * Mar 96 WL * Dec 97 CBR * Jan 00 off-site * Feb 00 All Stars * 2000 College Program * Mar 00 CSR * May 00 DI * Dec 00 off-site * July 02 BC Conc. * Nov 02 Poly Conc. * Mar 03 CBR * Aug 03 ASSports * Oct 03 CBR * Dec 03 CBR * Apr 04 off-site * Oct 04 Pop * May 05 FW Cabin * Oct 05 Poly * Jan 06 AKL * May 06 CR * Oct 06 POR * Oct 07 AKV (TR here) * Jan 08 AKV - 1/2 Marathon 3:08 (TR here)* May 08 BCV (DH's TR here) * Oct 08 AKV/OKW * Oct 09 BCV * May 10 AKV * Oct 10 DCL/BLT * Dec 10 AKV/OKW/CBR (yup, split stay 3 way, lol)* Feb 11 BWV * May 11 BLT * Oct 11 BCV * Jan 12 AKV *
***Next Up - May 12 SSR ***
Old 09-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phedre View Post
Great pre-trip so far! :D You are very, very brave to invite your MIL... My poor dh has to travel with his every time though and I think he is okay with it so hopefully you'll have a great trip too! :D Your family is very beautiful
Brave?? You are so PC....We all know you mean FOOLISH. Thanks for reading - hope you keep up with ur adventures!!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
jnykly
Disney Fanatic

Good Luck...

We took my MIL (as well as SIL and neice (7) in June). My statement to DH afterwards was "The answer to your question is No." -- (If he ever asked for her to go again) He said, "Don't worry, I won't be asking again."

I was thankful that we had 2 rooms!!!! It was the ONLY way I survived the trip.

He thought I was nuts when I told him I wanted to go back in December. I told him (in a very polite manner) that I didn't want us to forget the reason we love Disney so much just b/c of one bad encounter. Plus it would be different since we've never been at that time of year.

Have fun and I look forward to reading more ....
Old 09-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

If you think inviting your MIL is insane, how about inviting your DH's ex-wife and her husband? Yesiree, I have done this. And it gets better. We are going to share a 2-br condo using our DVC points.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
If you think inviting your MIL is insane, how about inviting your DH's ex-wife and her husband? Yesiree, I have done this. And it gets better. We are going to share a 2-br condo using our DVC points.
Oh my....Now, you simply MUST write a TR about this one!!! Now that's entertainment!!! Seriously, though, you are either a saint or a crazy woman!!! Can't wait to hear about this trip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnykly View Post
Good Luck...

We took my MIL (as well as SIL and neice (7) in June). My statement to DH afterwards was "The answer to your question is No." -- (If he ever asked for her to go again) He said, "Don't worry, I won't be asking again."

I was thankful that we had 2 rooms!!!! It was the ONLY way I survived the trip.

He thought I was nuts when I told him I wanted to go back in December. I told him (in a very polite manner) that I didn't want us to forget the reason we love Disney so much just b/c of one bad encounter. Plus it would be different since we've never been at that time of year.

Have fun and I look forward to reading more ....
Oh heaven help me. Seriously, I don't know what I have gotten myself into, do I? Oh, please, let this work out.... If nothing else, I'll have gained points with the MIL, right????

I am just so thankful we now have the two rooms...Even if we did seriously downgrade ourselves to get them.....

Thanks for reading!!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Installment #3 - Planning Madness

OK. We all do it, or we wouldn't be here. We obsess over every minute detail of our WDW vacay. I am not sure why, but I can take other vacations and only do a small bit of planning. Like flight numbers and directions to the hotel. But give me a WDW vacay and I go absolutely nuts. As early as 8 months before the trip I am getting nervous about finding the perfect spot for Parades, and whether or not the lines for my favorite attractions will be too long. It is sad. Sick, and sad.

But we love it, right???

Well, part of my planning this time around (thanks to the DIS) has involved making cute little things on my computer. See, I can't start packing yet (I know, some of you can do that 4 months in advance....For me, it is the night before. That's just the way I roll.), but I have to do SOMETHING related to my trip or I'll go nuts. So after spening hours choosing which park was best for each day, making obsessive Excel sheets depicting our itinerary, calling WDW-DINE and making ADRS, and typing up a packing list (well, sure... I can't physically PACK yet, but I can THINK about what I will be packing...), I decided I needed to do something creative.

Thanks to the DIS, I learned about those cute little kid-itineraries. I am sure these have a sophisticated name, and thus a corresponding acronym, but I have no idea what those might be. SO I will call them kid-itineraries. Here is the one I made for Buzz (DS):

Now, if you paid any attention at all to my itinerary from Installment #2, then you realize Day 1 is completely changed now due to changing resorts. I'll get to that. Cut me some slack, Jack. :-)

I also made one for THE PRINCESS (DD)....Just imagine more or less the same thing, but with princesses stuck in where the boy characters are. I have not given these to them yet. Quite frankly, I am slightly afraid that they will not be impressed. I mean, honestly...I am hoping they jump up and down, hug me, and then spend hours and hours going over and over the itinerary. But they are 5 and 3. They will porbably give it one glimpse...See Belle or McQueen and get excited about that, then go on with their lives. They might even say something asanine like, "Can we watch Spongebob now?" And that might just kill me. So I think I will hand these out in the car. On the way to WDW. And the only movies I am bringing for the 6 hour drive are Disney classics like Peter Pan and Snow White. So there.

Now, you might be asking yourself: Is she going to make a cutesy wootsy itinerary for dear MIL??? Hmmm. The truth is, she would actually appreciate it. She would ooh and ahh and probably put it under some sort of protective plastic right away. She wouldn't actually bring it into the parks for fear of water, Coke or Dole Whip getting all over it and spoiling its beauty. Now that is the reaction I am looking for. But here is the thing. Those things actually take quite a bit of work, don't they? And I am sure if we asked her what she was most looking forward to seeing and doing, she would simply say, "Whatever the grandkids want to see and do." Which would be a completely honest answer from good ole Fairy GRANDmother. SO what would I put on her itinerary? She has no faves. When I decided we all needed T-Shirts for each day of the trip, I asked her what her favorite Disney character is..... She couldn't think of any. I think she was about to say Bugs Bunny and break my heart forever, so I quickly said, "Minnie Mouse? I bet you like her, right?" More than likely I won't be making an itinerary for MIL. She can just ooh and ahh over the kids'. SOmeone has to, right?

For my next post: pics of our super cool homemade T-shirts......
Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
jnykly
Disney Fanatic

It probably won't be too bad. MIL did help out during the trip with the kids. DH and I even got to go to a few EMH evenings by ourselves . It was great!!

And...it's vacation after all, so if they eat more sugar than normal, so be it. They'll just have to go through detox when they get home.

I loved the kid-tenaray!!! I'd probably get the "Can I watch so and so now" from DD. They just don't get it (yet...if I have anything to do with it )

We also only take Disney movies when we travel to the World...seems only natural, right?!?!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnykly View Post
It probably won't be too bad. MIL did help out during the trip with the kids. DH and I even got to go to a few EMH evenings by ourselves . It was great!!

And...it's vacation after all, so if they eat more sugar than normal, so be it. They'll just have to go through detox when they get home.

I loved the kid-tenaray!!! I'd probably get the "Can I watch so and so now" from DD. They just don't get it (yet...if I have anything to do with it )

We also only take Disney movies when we travel to the World...seems only natural, right?!?!
Yeah, I can totally get over the sugar thing on vacaion...now, on a daily basis, I like to have some control over that stuff. I think my MIL thinks I am evil because I won't give my kids cake and ice cream every night before bed... I have let her do that a few times (it is her job to spoil the GKs after all), but every night is just ridiculous.

Glad to hear you MIL helped out...That is what we are hoping. Now we can ride the bigger rides together instead of taking turns. And we may try to sneak in an evening EMH here or there.... Fun idea!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #11
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

I love your title!! And yes you are certifiable, I know from experience. Mine also included a 20hour drive to disneyland, 7 people in a mini van..............I've been in a padded cell ever since!

I love your iteneraries, so cute!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkers View Post
I love your title!! And yes you are certifiable, I know from experience. Mine also included a 20hour drive to disneyland, 7 people in a mini van..............I've been in a padded cell ever since!

I love your iteneraries, so cute!
Oh, goodness.....Well, don't committ me until AFTER I return from WDW!!!

By the way, it's great that you have web access from your padded cell.. I hope I can get that, too....
Old 09-20-2007, 12:28 AM   #13
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

To one Heather from another Heather...!!!

Your vacation sounds good - I'm going to be there at the same time!! I'll be on the lookout for you at MK Tue 6 Nov, and AK Fri 9 Nov!! I'll be looking out for the family of 5 with MIL and DIL walking arm in arm because they are having soooooo much fun together!! Right???!!! Right...
Have a great time, and I look forward to reading the rest of this, and your trip report!

Heather

Old 09-20-2007, 12:34 AM   #14
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy'sGirl View Post
:

By the way, it's great that you have web access from your padded cell.. I hope I can get that, too....
The technology of today's padded cell's, is amazing!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #15
Jiminy'sGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjd0411 View Post
To one Heather from another Heather...!!!

Your vacation sounds good - I'm going to be there at the same time!! I'll be on the lookout for you at MK Tue 6 Nov, and AK Fri 9 Nov!! I'll be looking out for the family of 5 with MIL and DIL walking arm in arm because they are having soooooo much fun together!! Right???!!! Right...
Have a great time, and I look forward to reading the rest of this, and your trip report!

Heather
Heathers ROCK!! He he. You musy have been born in the 70s like me....Sheesh.... There were always 16 "Heathers" in every grade!

Definitely look for me at MK and AK.... I will probably be bald (from tearing out my hair), sobbing, and walking in circles while talking to myself...

Seriously, though....let's hope this all goes off without a hitch!! Stay tuned for the gory details....

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkers View Post
The technology of today's padded cell's, is amazing!
Well, finally....A bit of GOOD news! AT least I'll be able to complete my trip report from my cell...Can't leave you all hanging, now can I??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: