Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
SJSH Mom
Mouseketeer

Do children need to be present to apply for a passport?

Going to the post office to apply for passports for DS 3.5y and DS 3 months....do they have to come with me and be present or can I go by myself???
Can I pay by check?
SJSH Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
Perrier
Mouseketeer

Yes, they have to be present. And it's my understanding that both parents must be present, also. And I know you can pay by check b/c that's what I did. I'd call the office you're going to, to make sure, so you can avoid unnecessary frustration (& wasted time).

DD12
DS12

Sept 06 CSR
Nov 07 DCL Eastern
Sept 09 CBR
Perrier is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
TCB in FLA
Mouseketeer

See if you can find a place that takes appts. Our city library does, and it was great -- the lady just asked to see both of our ids and the kids, then let us take turns filling out the paperwork, writing checks, etc. while the other watched the boys in the children's section of the library. Totally painless, very professional and all of 10 minutes.

Disney Marathon January 2014

Disney Dream 3/30/14
Me and DH , DS13 DS11
TCB in FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
daisy112878
DIS Veteran

The kids have to be there as well as both parents. You can download the forms from online http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/forms_847.html and fill it out before you get there (just don't sign it). This will definitely cut down on your time. Also we went and got photos done at CVS before we went to the USPS.

Yes you can pay by check just make sure you have 2 checks. One goes to the USPS fee and the other has to go with your application to the state department.
June 2001 - AKL, July 2002 - POR, Dec 2003 - BCV, July 2005 - Poly, Sept 2005 - Magic Cruise, May 2006 - POFQ, Oct 2006 - 2nd Magic Cruise, Oct 2007 - CR, Nov 2007 - POR, Dec 2007 - BCV, June 2008 - CSR, Sept 2008 - BCV, New Years 2008/2009 - Dolphin, BCV and Back to the Magic - Sept. 2009, Dec 2009 BLT, BCV, BWV, April 2010 - Saratoga Springs; Dec 2010 - Saratoga Springs; Feb 2011 BCV;June 28, 2011 DCL to Alaska; Oct 2011 BCV for CPA conference; Dec 2011 BCV; April 2012 AKL Kidani;Sept 2012 BLT; Dec 2012 BCV; Feb 2013 Princess 1/2 Marathon - BLT; Aug 2013 - OKW; Sept 2013 - AKL, 4 day Disney Dream, BLT; Nov 2013 W&D - POFQ; Dec 2013 - BCV; Feb 2014 - VGF Princess 1/2 COMING SOON:; Oct 2014 - BCV and Disney Dream; Dec 2014 - BCV; Jan 2015 - WDW Marathon; April 2015 - BCV and Disney Dream; July 2015 - Disney Dream and BCV
daisy112878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #5
ariel39
Mouseketeer

Both my husband and I were present, but they only had me take the oath for the kids. He really didn't need to be there.

Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise July 26, 2011

Royal Carribean - Liberty of the Seas Caribbean Cruise - June 2010

Disney Magic Mediterrean Cruise July 18-28, 2007

ariel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:36 AM   #6
ndepaola
Mouseketeer

Both parents...

Have to be there if you are not married to each other OR if your child is too young to identify herself and her parents.

I stoood in line for HOURS with a very nice woman and her boy at the passport office and when we finally made it to the window, they told her she could not get a passport for her son because the dad wasn't there. She had a letter from him but it was not notarized. She explained that he was a "deadbeat dad" who did not have custody and had no contact with his son at all and she could never get him to have anything notarized and they said TOO BAD.

Another couple in front of me told us that they had originally come with only one parent and a letter from the other (married parents) and had to come back, because their child was not old enough to give her own name and her dad's full name.

I know its inconvenient, but its good that their working so hard to prevent parental kidnapping.
Polynesian ~ April 2006
Grand Floridian ~ June 2005
All Star Music ~ May 2004

Just me and the DH...

ndepaola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
TnRobin
My body may be back in Nashville, but my mind is still on vacation.
Bob Villa, build me a bathroom in the attic!

DISboards Moderator

My child is 12 and both of us were told to show up when I called. The lady in front of us was turned away because the father was not present, thier child was a teenager.

Robin

TnRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
CraftyMouse
I am ever so grateful for the technology that has allowed that little blurry spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRobin View Post
My child is 12 and both of us were told to show up when I called. The lady in front of us was turned away because the father was not present, thier child was a teenager.
Yes, it doesn't matter if the child is old enough to identify you or not. Both parents must be present to apply for a child's passport.

This is from the State Department's website...

For All Minors Under Age 14 :

* Each minor child shall appear in person.
* All applications for children under 14 require both parents' or legal guardians' consent.
( See Special Requirements for Children Under Age 14 )

For All Minors Ages 14 to 17:

* Each minor child shall appear in person.
* For security reasons, parental consent may be requested.
* If your child does not have identification of his/her own, you need to accompany your child and
present identification.
* Follow instructions below.

And...

(for minors under age 14)

1. Both parents must appear together and sign or

2. One parent appears, signs, and submits second parent's notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (a notarized Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14 , or a notarized written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper from the non-appearing parent) or

3. One parents appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (such as one of the following):

* Child's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or
* Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
* Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order); or
* Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent); or
* Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child; or
* Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
* Death certificate of non-applying parent.

If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent/guardian should submit a Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14 .

NOTE:

A third-party in loco parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 14 must submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.
CraftyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

I had a notarized letter for my girls when I originally got their passports as dad was out of town. I believe we followed the requirements on the passport website. We were not turned away as whatever we had to do was done correctly.

For my son, dad was home, so we all went together.

So parent must be present or you must have a notarized form. I can't recall what is required for the notarized form though.
Lisa loves Pooh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Note also that for your 3 month old, they don't care if your 3 month old can or cannot sit up. You must have the photo done correctly.

We had to have our son's redone. For that age, lying down on a blanket is best and taking the photo from that angle. (a local Walgreens did an excellent job. Our AAA photo was rejected b/c his jowels fell out of the "dotted line" area.)

We were able to pay by check.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:21 AM   #11
PoohJen
Willing to share a Mickey Bar?
I brought it with me everywhere on my Disney cruise
Quick, get to the hammock!- Castaway Cay

Great question, I'm am getting my kids' apps ready and I wasn't even thinking I had to bring my husband along! Lovely, though...I checked our Passport Acceptance hours in our town - 9am to 4pm weekdays. DH is a teacher in the next city (i.e., no such thing as just running out for an errand); this is not going to be easy! grrr
MNSSHP '04, '05, '06 MVMCP '07 and a few All Star quickies DCL Magic Nov '04 Eastern Trip Report Magic Wstrn Dbl Dip Aug '06 Trip Report, Wonder Dec '07 Trip Report Magic Dble Dip Aug '09 Trip Report Wonder Feb '10 DCL Dream July '11, Aug '13
PoohJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
DawnMarie
Mouseketeer

My husband and I were were both present. They made both of us take the oath.
DawnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #13
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohJen View Post
Great question, I'm am getting my kids' apps ready and I wasn't even thinking I had to bring my husband along! Lovely, though...I checked our Passport Acceptance hours in our town - 9am to 4pm weekdays. DH is a teacher in the next city (i.e., no such thing as just running out for an errand); this is not going to be easy! grrr
Find a notary that he can go to outside his work hours and he can get the form notarized. This will allow you to get the passports without him being physically present.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #14
CraftyMouse
I am ever so grateful for the technology that has allowed that little blurry spot!

Quote:
Could you go to the town he works in and have them done there...either on his lunch break (if he gets one) or after school?
CraftyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #15
ScouterJT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We had similar logisitcal concerns -- easiest solution was for me to have my forms notarized (we have a notary public at work -- there may be one at the office at the school) and DW took that with her and kiddos (and all of the rest of the paperwork). No problem at all.
WDW 2006, 2009, 2013
Disney Wonder 2006
Disney Magic 2007 (Western)
Disney Magic 2007 (Eastern)
Disney Magic 2008 (Western)
Disney Magic 2009 (Eastern)
Disney Wonder 2013 (Alaska)
ScouterJT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: